Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Zatanna could turn his rear end into a rabbit but not like a double-rabbit.

Dear Netherrealm, please make Zatanna DLC. I even have a new super move for you guys...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

We're all forgetting the best Spidey game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-NjyWMs5Dk

My grandparents had this game when I was a kid and I distinctly remember clicking desperately around the screen thinking there had to be an actual game here somewhere and that maybe I just couldn't find some magic secret button that'd unlock Maximum Carnage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ugh I just cannot handle the loving brute enemies in this game. Like goddamn, it's not enough that I have to break my combat flow to defeat enemies in this one particular way, I have to jump way away to get some distance because the motherfucker just doesn't stop swinging.

Also this game took me 10 goddamn hours to download jfc

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No I wish it were more like Arkham and enemies would be nice enough to stand around and wait for me to counter all of their attacks one at a time. Instead I've got to actually watch out for a whole bunch of goons at once, what bullshit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

This, but unironically. Those big guys get on my nerves and all I wanna do is throw a thing, but you gotta hold the buttons down and also NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING for like 2 seconds or whoops there goes my combo.

Who said I was being ironic?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting better, I'm just pissed that impact webbing is limited. I spammed the gently caress out of that in SM2, and now being limited to a couple shots (then waiting for more to regen) is killing me... literally, and then I have to wait through a load screen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Incorrect, my ragdolling body is in the Negative Spider costume :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZDar Fan posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with QTEs? For example, in the "person trapped in an overturned truck" encounters, it tells me to hit triangle, which I definitely do before time is up, but nothing happens.

I'm aware that you can disable QTEs but I'm the weirdo that generally enjoys them.

Are you missing the prompt to mash the hell out of square after the initial triangle?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"With great power comes sweet photo ops"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Specific to location. I just got the VIP card and it's like my 35th backpack, so it must be location

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I've been running around as Spider-Punk and found that JJJ actually has a special podcast to slam your suit. Does he do that for every costume and how long do you have to play in a suit before he notices?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure trying to gold rank these challenge tokens is going to break my goddamn mind. Or at least my controller.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hey post stuff from the game not just random subway pictures.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

You don't need to do that to platinum the game, if that's your goal.

Oh no I just want it so I can unlock everything. Seems like there's a lot of suits/gadgets walled behind a pretty good number of challenge tokens.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

I wish they would put out an Ultimate Alliance 3. Like loving go big or go home. Go cosmic with that poo poo...Guardians, Nova, bring back Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill skin for Thor.

Didn't Ultimate Alliance 1 have a BRB skin for Thor? Could've sworn it did...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Looks like that's been deleted. What was it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I finally unlocked the Taskmaster challenges and these are loving bullshit.

I like the combat and stealth challenges, but whoever programmed the drones and especially the bombs can eat poo poo.

e: I have finally, as the kids say, "gotten gud" at the combat, and I've gotta say it's pretty great. Only "problem" that's not really a problem is that I keep forgetting to use all my numerous other gadgets besides basic webshooters. Sooner or later I'll try these concussive blasts out if I ever remember in the moment.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 15, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was just going to say that I like it except for it being so shiny.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

Which one is this? The one from the last Amazing Spidey industries when he works with Mockingbird?

Yep. Thinking on it more it fits the game pretty well since he also had a bunch of gadgets in that run.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

I put an insane amount of hours into the Arkham series, but the stories in all the games were just garbage. Where as this game and it's universe feel fully fleshed out and alive and you care about the characters which leads to some real gut punches as it progresses.

Asylum and City's stories aren't garbage. They're not masterpieces, but I wouldn't call them garbage. Asylum suffers from the need to stuff villains into rather ridiculous scenarios just to make the plot go, and City suffers from the entire premise being stupid, but hey that's comics. Origins and Knight are garbage. (Actually I'd say that the first half of Origin's plot is good but of course motherfucking Joker hijacks the plot and it rapidly turns to poo poo)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

remusclaw posted:

Where there even any new characters in the game available to be a suspect? Like, new character in a comic story means look, there's the villain! But in Knight, I don't remember there even being a red herring available to make it even slightly questionable. poo poo, they even started doing flash back dream sequence style stuff to the Jason Todd situation.

There weren't. I guess before the game's release, both Hush's and Azrael's plots hadn't wrapped so they could be suspects, but I think both of them appear before the reveal so their names get crossed off the checklist.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

The season pass for TWD is still up. So you can pay $20 for one episode of a game that will never get finished.

In a way that makes it a very true adaptation of TWD.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just beat Spider-Man and my final thoughts are:

• I did not expect to cry at the end of a Spider-Man game but drat if that last scene where May tells Peter she knew for a long time got to me. Same thing for when Peter started getting all weepy over Otto being his hero and how hosed up things all went.
  • Really disappointed they didn't add a bit of dialogue when you visit May and Ben's graves in the post-game
  • The minute Miles got bit I kept expecting Peter to die, particularly when Otto started a (fake?) good turn after being beaten and begged Peter to save him I kept getting flashbacks to Osborn in the first Raimi Spider-Man and expected an arm to go stab Peter from behind. But I was very happy with a happy ending and just like Stan Lee I'm glad Peter and MJ worked things out.
  • I'm really surprised that at no point did they hint toward Norman having any sort of Green Goblin-esque insanity hiding under his veneer of Mayor/businessman. For a second I thought the stinger at the end was going to reveal he was working on some Goblin serum when the big green tank appeared but then surprise it's a symbiote.
  • Kinda disappointed that they were so vague on what the gently caress Mr. Negative's deal was? He appeared to be in some experiment and it killed his parents but they never explain why he was being experimented on and what they were experimenting on him with.

Also I wish there was some sort of theater mode so I could rewatch some of the more serious cutscenes in the game wearing some of the sillier costumes. Wanna watch Spider-Man get dramatically rolled into FEAST near-death with his loving head on fire or in his underpants

Also also, I was proud of knowing the origin of almost every costume in the game except for the Spirit Spider suit. I can't seem to find anything. Is it an original or a really vague story I've never read?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress they just announced Ultimate Alliance 3

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
All I ask for is some good rear end alternate costumes. That was the #1 thing on a long list of things that was worse in UA2 than UA1. Maybe Spider-Man PS4 has spoiled me on alternate costumes, but if we could do 4 per character on the PS2 I dare to dream we can at least match that over a decade later.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chill Penguin posted:

It would also be cool if they actually do add a couple of Nintendo characters this time around– iirc that was the (scrapped) plan for the Wii version of MUA.

They actually already had Link and Samus in with moves but when they presented it to Nintendo, Nintendo shot it down. Rumors say that they were unhappy with not being asked first before putting their characters in the game, and that it also may or may not have had something to do with the devs making their pitch using the PS2 build of the game.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
poo poo I only just noticed Spider-Gwen in the back of that lineup and I'm hyped. gently caress it give me a whole team of Spider-Folk and a Jake Johnson voice pack for Spidey Prime and just turn this into Spider-Verse the game.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Isn’t Wolverine pretty popular in Japan relative to other Marvel characters?

Maybe? I know he and Iron Man are the two Marvel characters that got solo anime...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Definitely seems more 1 than 2, which is good. Now if we can just get some costume information...

e: I can't deal with just one alt per character. PS4 Spider-Man has ruined me, I demand shitloads of costumes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

youll get the first trailer on the disc for the final part of ff7 remake

I'm sure my grandkids will love it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One day we'll get an Avengers musou game, consarn it

I'm honestly surprised we haven't since Avengers basically set up the Chitauri as the perfect faceless mooks to kill en masse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I get that the MCU is insanely popular (and more importantly insanely marketable) but I don't like just using movie costumes in games when there are so many other good options out there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Into the Spider-Verse costume for Miles please

It's either that or no costume for an alt. I don't think Miles has had another costume in comics since his debut.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just read a review that says UA3 has a bunch of stat management bullshit which makes me very happy. I'd say I'm curious to see online play but then unfortunately it's Nintendo so I already know it's rear end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've never had any issues with any online Switch game? Splatoon 2 has always worked flawlessly.

I was more referring to how poorly (which is to say not at all) Nintendo has implemented the simplest poo poo like voice chat or inviting friends to games.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, I just finished the second level of UA3 and figured I'd give some impressions in case anyone was curious about the game. It's more UA1 (good) than UA2 (bad) so far, but again, I'm only 2 levels in so take that with a grain of salt:

Cons:
  • Online co-op sucks if you're trying to just play with random people. You can't just find open rooms/games to join, if you're trying to join a story mission you have to search by level down to the drat checkpoint before it'll search for an open room. And you have to specify open room since for some reason they decided the search function should show private rooms by default because... I don't know, it'll let you know how much fun other people are having? Finding a room for the bonus challenges is easier but not by much. Upside: if you can get in a bonus challenge with people way higher level than you, they'll curbstomp it and you'll reap the rewards and the EXP!
    • The actual play experience seems fine once you're in, nothing seemed laggy to me, it's just the whole experience of getting to the online is a hassle.
  • Characters don't level evenly, so if you want to suddenly change things up and try some other characters that you got earlier, well get ready to eat poo poo for a while doing less damage and getting wrecked easier while you grind it out. They've added a way to help catch up by letting you use these EXP cubes you collect around stages to give them a quick boost but the cubes aren't growing on trees or anything. Wouldn't it have been easier to just level all the characters evenly to just a level or two behind your mains? It just seems a shame that (if you're like me) the earlier characters get shelved and then get useless fast just because I wanted to try the shiny new characters.
  • The story is just the Infinity Gems and Thanos again and like, I get it, the MCU is big, everyone loves Infinity War/Endgame, but come on Marvel, get a little creative with macguffins and final bosses! The first game had Doctor Doom team up with Loki to steal the power of Odin. That's a unique threat! There's a plethora of world ending threats out there guys, pick another one already.
  • Sometimes the camera gets hosed up in corners.

Pros:
  • Everything else, game's fun
  • In a game with friendly fire off, you can still grief your friends by hitting them with various boxes and other large things.
  • Spider-Gwen's the best spider-character by far, which is how it should be.

Also I don't know if it's a pro or a con but (minor ultimately unimportant story spoiler) it's super weird that Venom joins the party after he loving eats Electro in front of everybody. Like, he doesn't spit the guy up after you beat him. But hey Spider-Man says Eddie's usually a good guy, just misguided, so we'll all just ignore that I guess!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 20, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Origins was the absolute worst for Riddler Trophies, because instead of capturing Riddler or punching him in his stupid smug face, your reward for finding all the Enigma trophies was finding out that Enigma was The Riddler, which any idiot guessed the minute the character was introduced.

Yeah when your ultimate prize was "the first Riddler trophy" like I didn't already figure it out I was pissed. Like at least in every other game when you get all the trophies you get to beat him up (or in Asylum hear the cops bust down his door)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was not interested in that game one bit but now suddenly I'm very interested.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

So if someone took the mask off Bane, he dies?

it would be very painful

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Wasn't there a line in Asylum where Joker suggested he killed a Robin? Anyway, I think it was a mistake for Tim to be Robin in A Matter of Family. It should have been Jason, so we could at least have seen him before he "died." As is, we never see Jason before he gets captured by the Joker (unless I'm forgetting a small scene).

I think they miiiight make a reference, but like people mentioned earlier, that game is littered with little winks to other characters/things from Batman lore that make no sense in the sequels*, probably because they didn't know they'd get a sequel at the time.

*the one that sticks out to me is that at one point there's a chalkboard that lists Hush as an on call doctor there, but in the sequels I think he's new in town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it was whatever Scarecrow had in his toxin that was the special sauce that counteracted Joker's infection

JT Smiley posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but if gladly play Origins again over Knight any day. Even with it's many flaws I thought the story was better and the gameplay was better simply because it didn't have a single tank fight. I don't think I've ever been more frustrated with a boss fight than the one against Knight's giant driller machine.

:agreed:

Maybe it's just because I got lucky and didn't experience any of the bugs I heard other people had, but I found Origins to be a very enjoyable experience.