Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Those were flawless and great.

That kind of poo poo is exactly the kind of thing that should be in a fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

What makes it even more frustrating is that one of the best fights in the series is locked behind all the Riddler stuff.

catlord posted:

The entire Oracle thing was dumb, I wasn't sure if she was actually dead or not, but I basically immediately went from that plot point to doing the Ra's al Ghul mission. I understand that Batman thinks using the Lazarus formula is wrong, but you'd think that this one time in this one situation he might change his mind. And then they reveal it was a Scarecrow hallucination? You'd think that Batman would have considered that possibility at some point.
The Ra's al Ghul stuff was all DLC so it's somewhat forgivable that it doesn't gel with the main plot at that particular point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It didn't help that Arkham Knight was the first time Jason Todd had been mentioned in the series (beyond an Easter Egg in a challenge map or something).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

You'd think that wouldn't you? But I hate having a map covered in poo poo I didn't do!
Also while the collection can be tedious the Riddler rooms are fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Though all the talk of Bat Family always perks my ears up. I love me some sidekicks.
Yeah, it's making me interested too. Bruce as a Bat-Patriarch is one of my favourite versions of the character.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I haven't finished the first season but I did like the Batmobile.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

What they need is to develop their own IPs so they can actually make the choices matter and not be tied to someone else's continuity

Making choices matter require creating a lot of content to handle all the branching paths. There's a reason games that sell themselves on the range of choices still end up railroading the player for the most part.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've been playing LEGO Marvel's The Avengers.

It's not a great LEGO game. Since it almost exclusively uses movie dialog it doesn't have nearly as many jokes as normal (although there are still some great bits of slapstick), and it feels a bit disjointed because it's just the plots of the two Avengers films with vignettes, sidemissions and flashbacks to other MCU films. I definitely recommend the earlier Superheroes game instead.

One nice touch is that without the F4 or X-Men characters (or Spiderman outside of some DLC) they've chosen to make some deep cuts for the character list, like Poundcakes, Blazing Skull and Butterball. It's been fun in the same way as the Marvel Handbook thread is fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The LEGO games pull off open world superhero stuff but that kinda proves your point re graphics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm glad they're going back to the old style, Avengers was a step down from the first Lego Marvel game in a lot of ways.

It's a step down from a lot of other LEGO games too. Too often the coop mode steals control from one player or leaves them with nothing to do for ages.

Although Squirrel Girl and the Nut Buster suit were great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

gently caress that stupid scanning thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Knight has one of the best uses of the Joker ever.

JT Smiley posted:

As buggy as Origins was it was the only game in the series to have a somewhat decent story.

The only thing I liked about the story was that it took the idea of the crime families being replaced by the freaks as literally as possible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Have you ever heard of this little thing called Death Stranding

I am not convinced that is a product at all.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There's also Zero Dawn Horizon or whatever that random collection of words is.

remusclaw posted:

Where there even any new characters in the game available to be a suspect? Like, new character in a comic story means look, there's the villain! But in Knight, I don't remember there even being a red herring available to make it even slightly questionable. poo poo, they even started doing flash back dream sequence style stuff to the Jason Todd situation.

Jason Todd hadn't even been mentioned in the Arkham series before Knight, so even if you had never read a comic he'd still be your first suspect.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They're right about Obra Dinn being amazing too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

What does games as a service mean?

Continuing payments rather than a one-off purchase. Can be through subscriptions or regular content releases or microtransactions etc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Metroid: Other M was loving terrible.

Without them it would have been a lot worse. Sakamoto gets all the blame for Other M.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jason Todd didn't exist in the Arkham games until Knight either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

catlord posted:

Wasn't there a line in Asylum where Joker suggested he killed a Robin?

Asylum has him say

quote:

Heck, I might even give you Harley! You look like you could use a new sidekick...

And in one of the challenge maps in City (if you're playing as Robin) he says

quote:

Didn't I kill you already? No? Well there's always time, right? Ladies and Gentlemen, put your hand together for... Robin!

But they're pretty ambiguous.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

You can't really do the court of owls storyline without Bruce Wayne, though.

I'm still pretty sure the original Owls storyline was first conceived as a Dickbats story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It was within the first year of the reboot, right? and Snyder had been writing a killer Dickbats before. I believe it.

Plus it relies on Batman not knowing Gotham as well as he thinks, with only really works right after a reboot for Bruce but is easier to do for Dick.

And Dick's link to them is more interesting than Bruce's.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

That's pretty common in early Batman stories though. GCPD is ridiculously corrupt before Gordon takes over

Yeah, the third of the four issues in Year One is just Bats fighting a SWAT team.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

No quicksilver is a weird choice.
Problems with designing / balancing a speedster maybe?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

And a Dr. Strange game that shifted the world around like the old Soul Reaver game on PS2 did could work using different spells that you learn and unlock.
VR with motion controlled spells. He doesn't need the acrobatics and agility of other characters (so the relatively stationary nature of VR is okay) and waving your arms around while making wooshing noises and looking at the pretty lights would be fun, if tiring.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

How? Harley, uh, shoots Batman in the face and unless they had a looooooot of dialogue pre-recorded it doesn't seem like he's coming back.

Darkseid, cloning, secrets only the Squad knew.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The "toxic masculinity" line bit sucks but I like Luthor's cynicism and projection in the last couple of paragraphs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

If you’re saying that toxic masculinity isn’t a societal ill then you’re definitely a gross straight male

I'm saying I don't think it's what Luthor would write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't really see how it makes more sense in a Batman game than what they ended up doing though. Like I'm sure it would have worked but Batman henchman beating him up and upgrading (while not killing him or taking him to the boss) doesn't quite work as naturally as orcs did, just imo at least.

If I had to do it I'd do a Court of Owls game and apply the system to the Talon assassins since they have the immortal recurring miniboss feeling that the Orc captains have.