Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Thanks to this thread I remembered they released Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Ultimate Alliance 2 on next gen consoles. This made me really happy.

I just went and looked at some reviews for the update and now I'm really sad. Broken online co-op, broken achievements, zero actual updating of the games, priced at brand new game prices.

Thanks thread, you really ruined my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Marvel Announcement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_V6WHSmQs

It's being done by Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider) and Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex).
Edit: More info in 2018.....awesome

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 26, 2017

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I almost thought it was a Call of Duty reference. I forgot about Heavy Rain.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Hal Jordan is that one writer's husbandfu right? Which is why he's the best at everything now right?
Not just any writer, Geoff Johns husbandfu. This is always why we never get Wally West anymore.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Goshdang I hate the stupid voice reverb effects a lot of these characters have, like Darkseid, Mr. Fate and Scarecrow

Doctor Fate. He didn't go through 8 years of Hogwarts to be called Mister.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

bessantj posted:

Black Cat coming at you in the first DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4MTPRu9Pr0

This is gonna end up being like a shitload of follow the leader missions and no one's gonna be able to tell me different.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hot Toys is doing a Spider-Punk.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-spider-man-spider-punk-suit-hot-toys-903799/

It's actually not a bad price for a Hot Toys product at this point.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This is a dumb question but it's really bugging me. Are the backpacks specific to location or are they specific to when you pick them up? Like the first 4 backpacks I picked up are "first date menu," "hospital bill," "nightclub vip card," and "thank you drawing." Is this the same for everyone else?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Specific to location. I just got the VIP card and it's like my 35th backpack, so it must be location

Thanks!

I thought that was probably the case but because they display them based on when you got them, I thought there was a chance it was the other way. A singular bad design choice, but very obviously not game ruining and like I said, it's a dumb question.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Scrap Dragon posted:

Speaking of Ultimate Alliance, I was replaying the first game a couple of months ago and I got to the mission where you team up with Corsair and man that really dates this game. I can’t remember the last time the Starjammers were in anything, I think they just straight up got replaced by the Guardians

My fave dating of Ultimate Alliance is it was obviously written during the period right after Winter Soldier first appeared by before they revealed he was Bucky so he's villain through and through in the game.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Retro Futurist posted:

How long was there between Winter Solider showing up and the Bucky reveal? It’s been a while since I read the run but it can’t have been that long

It's very quickly after he shows up. It's always made me think that they were given information about the character (like what he looks like a very very basic backstory (like he and cap have a 'history' but not what that history really is)) but never given the twist. Just re-watched the two times he shows up in the game and yeah, the dialog is very much "unrepentant villain" with allusions to the fact that Cap knows Winter Soldier more intimately than someone like Batroc but you don't have Cap recognizing or calling him out as Bucky. But you also figure Winter Soldier's time as an actual villain in comics is maybe a year to 18 months of published books so the window is very small.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3. NINTENDO SWITCH EXCLUSIVE.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1070863445468139521

Stupid loving monkey paw.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

There's a company called Arcade1up that makes 3/4 scale arcade cabinets that include classic games. For E3, they announced two new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWc8LDDHBw

The TMNT one is looking to retail for $350 and includes the original arcade game and Turtles In Time and the Marvel ($299) one includes the two pre-MvC fighting games (Marvel Super Heroes and X-Men Children of the Atom) and The Punisher side scroller.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

OnimaruXLR posted:

I've seen so much chuff defending the game about how the Avengers doesn't need to look like the movie counterparts, but looking like the movie counterparts isn't the issue as much as looking kinda bad is.
If they couldn't get rights to the likenesses or didn't want it to be associated with the MCU, they shouldn't have given everyone MCU styled costumes. That's really my issue. There's a lot of other more comic accurate costumes and looks but they directly went to the ones that make everyone look like their movie counterparts and it just ends up making them look like movie stunt doubles.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This is probably the best look of Ultimate Alliance 3 and gave me the best understanding of what's new and what's the same and I didn't understand a loving word of the narrator because it's in Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqmydXsepN4

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Medullah posted:

That looks like it might be the best PS2 game to come out this year!

This is the conclusion I've come to as well. It looks so mediocre. The fighting has no real flow to it for any of the characters shown. All the game play looks like what you'd see in a game that would've excited me 10 years ago. It looks like it's all so slow and sloppy now.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 19, 2019

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

The biggest and best example is the Shadow of Mordor/War games. You're almost never fighting the orc captains one on one, but they're a completely different beast than even the strongest mooks, they have special moves, auto-counter some of your moveset, have a bunch of health, fly into rages, etc. There's other orcs to contend with but it never feels like the mooks are standing in for the boss fight. And when you do get to fight them mano-y-orco, they still put up a good fight.

A Batman game with the revenge system from Shadow of Mordor/War could be so loving fun.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just not sure how it would work. Given the whole dying thing.

There's already "capture" screens when you die in the game, you can build off that idea.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I played the gently caress out of UA1 and 2 (yes, even the bad one). I love the hell out of the format and style and gameplay. Something about UA3 didn't click like the other two. I played a lot of it but I couldn't bring myself to even beat it once.

If I hadn't owned a switch, I would've purchased one when UA3 was announced and would've regretted it within a week of UA3 being released.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

It didn't click for me when it came out but in quarantine, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is feeding the deepest of brainworms for me. I finally finished the regular story and I've been grinding up a second playthrough along with trying to unlock some of the DLC characters. I'm doing the epilogue but one of the final bosses is a loving bitch who requires either a lot more levels to brute force or a lot more cooperation to finish normally.

I'm trying to remember what the best parties are but I've found Wolverine + projectile synergy does a lot of good work which has gotten me far but I think there's better out there.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The Midniter posted:

Never played MUA2 as I heard it was a dumpster fire, but I enjoyed MUA3 only a little less than 1, and that's saying something as I LOVED the first one.

3 is definitely more streamlined and a little more difficult to break with insane skill stacking (like you could with any ice-slow ability in the first), but I still found it great fun to beat multiple times. It's also a lot easier on the eyes than the older games, even if it's not gorgeous because it's a Switch title.

Kamala's spin stacks well with any projectile making stupid room clearing easy as hell.

I didn't get into this much when it came out but I played the hell out of it when the pandemic started and I unlocked every character but ultimate Thanos. I got to the point where I was just running rifts and white iso farming.

On the whole, it's a fun game and you can make any team viable pretty easily and if you ever get stuck, just do some of the rifts repeatedly.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Arkham Knight is the only Arkham game I didn't finish and it was 100% because of the batmobile combat sections.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

JT Smiley posted:

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KizGbUFCB4

Not gonna lie this looks fun even though I'm beyond sick of evil Superman and have no attachment at all to these characters.
King Shark is not being voiced by Ron Funches. No dice.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

Maximum Carnage was just a side-scrolling brawler but a lot of fun that I may give too much credit because I finished it entirely with a buddy hopped up on, I dunno, Cherry Coke or something. Somebody kind of notable did the soundtrack too, which I liked?

Green Jelly (Jello) did the soundtrack during their "Little Pigs" heyday.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Retro Futurist posted:

The other problem with the mtv show was that they were tied to the movie continuity and this couldn't use any of the usual villans, because they had to save those for the movies. It was an odd idea

This is absolutely not true. It came out around Daredevil and had Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin as well as Lizard, Electro, Kraven and Silver Sable that I remember.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/1326555321549074437?s=20

I love a good game engine meme.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I played a ton of MUA3 during the pandemic. For some reason it really clicked for me. It's absolutely full of grinding and almost all the costumes and poo poo is built on what were called "danger room programs" in xmen legends (i forget what they call them in MUA). There's a small number of extremely good characters and a bunch of fairly good characters and then it's bottom barrel for the rest.

I 100% understand and agree with the people who called the game grindy. There's no excuse for the amount of grinding in the game, but I will say, get stoned as gently caress and start playing as like phoenix or a spin to win character and you won't care. I honestly didn't notice much difference in the grindy-ness of this one over like MUA or MUA2.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm happy Spidey is in it.

Though if you only get 3 heroes at once he'll have a hard time cracking my Magik, Nico, and Captain Marvel group.

I think it's 3 heroes but one has to be the "Hunter" player character so you're gonna have to split up the dream team there (and it would probably be my dream team too lol).

There's a bunch of gameplay vids on youtube as they had a press event recently that they unembargoed today. A number of them are trying to empress on the fact that while it's a firaxis game, it's not an xcom game and the only real DNA they share is that they're from the same company.

I heard it's approx 60 hours of gameplay from one of them and, well, that's a lot of game. Possibly even too much. I suppose it depends on how well it plays but I get cautious of artificially bloated gameplay when I hear those kinds of numbers.

I'll probably still buy it...

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

catlord posted:

Is there a new full gameplay video or is it just the chopped up bits of footage?

Here's 20 minutes uncut of the fight against Venom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVPL_GisrI

I would guess there's no "raw" footage (without narration) because as mentioned in this video, part of the deal is they have to narrate the whole thing to be able to post it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

New Gotham Knights trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaRNa86pR2s

I feel like Harley's voice is very off but maybe I've just been watching the Harley cartoon too much. Also it's really disappointing to obviously have Renee Montoya in the trailer but not announce them as a playable character. I guess I can hope for a Question/Huntress based DLC but it's rude to do that to me.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

It mostly comes from the looter/shooter genre of games (Destiny/Division/Borderlands/etc) where you're grinding out new equipment that has random stats so you use damage numbers to compare how this version of a gun stacks up to a drop you just got that includes the same gun but with different stats.

From some of the videos I've seen, they're trying to do kind of a looter/shooter here but all that does is make enemies damage sponges which is exhausting in a game like this.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Disney's teaming up w/Niatic for a "Pokemon Go but with Marvel"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ajfk9eT6pY

Also Midnight Suns has a new trailer and is dated Dec 2 for release now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZDalw6r-XA

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Lobok posted:

Guess who's getting a new game? From EA Motive.

Is it Sleepwalker?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm actually kinda enjoying this game. I just did some coop with a friend and it was a blast. I wish it launched w/4 player coop because I can't wait to see that now.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Nyeehg posted:

drat it. Gotham Knights is the sort of game me and my brother could really get into. Unfortunately I don't have a gaming pc and I'm not buying a ps5 for this.

Does anyone whos played it have any insight on the reason the game had to be exclusive to next gen platforms? Considering how hard it still is to get a ps5 I'd think making the game cross gen would have been a no brained.

They went all in on ray tracing which makes some areas look much better but for the most part probably should've been skipped because it bumped up the requirements a lot while not really adding very much more than the last Arkham game.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, I was more than a little surprised at how short the game is. They pad a lot of it with the 3 side missions. But at the same time, by the time it ended, I was ready for it to be over. I'd certainly be willing to play some DLC for it at a later point but I'm happy with the experience I got. Coop was a blast, single player was alright, there was enough variation in gameplay for me to way to try all 4 characters even if I did do the main story with Babs.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The general reaction I've seen is that the gameplay is where the game shines and it absolutely shines in the gameplay with very few caveats. However, when you aren't strategizing or fighting, you're interacting with the other characters...which, is not good at all.

The writers seem to have zero understanding of the character personalities and it leads to things like Blade creating a book club to try and hook up with Carol and Captain America being too chicken poo poo to ask Blade if they can be friends. Everyone likes doing the same stuff and going to the same locations to hang out so there's never any real changes there. Everyone has a lot of poo poo to say but none of it matters or is anything you should care about. It's one of those "how did you get the characterizations and feel of the characters so right in one spot and so wrong in another" kinds of things.

However, getting back to it, the gameplay is worth is so much that you can just skip through dialogue and have as much if not more fun.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Opopanax posted:

Not much to it. he's basically a free point for Death/Venom/Carnage, or a sneaky discard, or you just play him and see what happens

I think he means Midnight Suns not Marvel Snap?

Either way, now is an incredible time for great card based Marvel games. Two absolute bangers out there.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, honestly Gotham Knights is a solid game. It's not going to blow any doors off but it's fine and if you have friends, co-op is very fun.

Also quite honestly, I'm thankful for how short it is. There's a bunch of artificial lengtheners and collectathons but in the end, it was definitely better than I had feared.

The gear system could've definitely used another pass though. I beat the game and then some and I still couldn't tell you just by looking whether I was picking up a mod or a blueprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Midnight Suns is weird and like 2 different games slammed together in one (in a good way). On the one hand you have the Abbey which you spend time interacting with characters and exploring and doing side quests for items, friendship and lore. On the other hand you have combat which is only accessible from the table and like a totally different game in and of itself.

I've been really digging it for the past couple weeks. I like the Day/Night loop but some days I wish I could just craft and build friendship without having to do a mission to advance the time.