Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Welcome to the thread where I probably ruin my 2006 Sepang / Sepang Z4M Coupe! :suicide:

I have a long, proud, history of modding cars until they suck to drive except in very specific circumstances. Out of 5 cars that I've built, only 1 of them survived as a daily and was still really fun. Maybe this one will be the second. Probably not :getin: it's a track bitch now

I bought this car in August of 2014 with around 50k km on it. It was bone stock, and the front bumper was (is) a bit messed up; I got a decent deal on it, and vowed to leave it stock, as one does, which lasted until the first track day I did in it. The Z4MC is so loving good on the track, but it tells you the whole time how it can be better. "I just need a little more rubber, and a little more suspension, and a little more power, and a little more brake, and I'll be perfect for you" is what it whispers in your ear the whole time.

So, last year, I installed a set of Ground Control coilovers with 550lb-in front springs and 700lb-in rear springs, deleted the rear sway (well, disconnected it), did a stud conversion, put 18x9.5" ET35 Apex EC-7s on all four corners (12mm spacers in the rear) with some 200AA A Kumhos, threw ECS floating front rotors on front and fresh BMW rotors in the rear, changed the pads out for Hawk HP+, and went back to the track. The results were... somewhat positive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wTzG00CbrA&t=272s

That was something like 12 seconds faster than my previous best time at the Ridge. As you may be able to tell from the video, I was pleased with this outcome.

So of course I ordered a bunch of poo poo, like, immediately after that.

Come along for the ride as I install a bunch of bits, hopefully don't blow up the S54 this season, but when it lets go the car is getting a V8, and spend thousands of dollars to knock a second or two off laps at this track! Which I could do by improving my driving. But that wouldn't be as much funexpensive. And I'll do it anyway.

I've been building a parts pile for the past four months or so, and am installed a two-post lift in the garage in the next couple of weeks. Here's what's slated for the winter:

* Installing AP Racing CF front splitter / rear wing
* Installing Evolve CF CSL-style airbox / doing speed-density tune on dyno
* Installing Schrick 288/280 degree cams and new followers [I'm still waiting on these to arrive, two months later. Hiya, VAC Performance! I'd love to receive these this year.]
* Installing Porsche / Brembo 4-pot brakes all around with RallyRoad adapters and Hawk HP-10 pads
* Installing eBay exhaust headers
* Scratch-building header-back 2.5" stainless exhaust system
* Re-tuning on the dyno for the whole system. Attempting to keep car emissions legal for street use
* Probably rebuild all of the VANOS poo poo
* Hopefully don't forget to replace all of the cam gear bolts
* Maybe get the mechanical timing right
* Inspect the rod bearings?

Later on I'll be dealing with seats, harness bar, harnesses, and all of that fun poo poo. Eventually it will probably be a trailer-only track / parking lot bitch, but I'm delaying that outcome for as long as possible. Probably.

Some additional snaps of the car and parts follow.

And one shot for inspiration:

:iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hooray. I feel this car is my cars spiritual brother 😎

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
That's a heck of a list of upgrades, but what does sepang/sepang mean?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

MrSaturn posted:

That's a heck of a list of upgrades, but what does sepang/sepang mean?

Colours.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wanna see the lift :awesome:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Ah. I guess "Beige"/"Sad brown" isn't good enough! Thanks!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There's always the :japan: racing livery option:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sepang is by far the coolest colour BMW has done since Laguna Seca Blue.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Bape Culture posted:

Hooray. I feel this car is my cars spiritual brother 😎

You're not wrong. :)

Data Graham posted:

I wanna see the lift :awesome:

I pick it up Friday evening and unload it Saturday morning, pictures will come.

MrSaturn posted:

Ah. I guess "Beige"/"Sad brown" isn't good enough! Thanks!

That's metallic bronze over chocolate brown, jerk. :colbert:

(Yes, old man colours. I only mention it because it is literally one of four in North America in that combo)

InitialDave posted:

I... had never seen that. :catstare:

Holy poo poo, the exhaust dumps just past the front wheels? That thing must be monstrously loud.

I have the weirdest boner right now.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Popete posted:

Sepang is by far the coolest colour BMW has done since Laguna Seca Blue.

I really, really like it.

I really, really like Laguna Seca Blue, too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah yes....

(If you get bored of the S54 before it blows up I am in the market)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Ah yes....

(If you get bored of the S54 before it blows up I am in the market)

With the Evolve airbox and Schrick cams?

I am willing to go full retard on this today if the finances work. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think that's a little too full retard for my purse straps right now :)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
This is great. Looking forward to hearing the cammed S54 :getin:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Do these things have the same issue with the rear subframe/chassis mounts like the 3 series?

Also you need speed holes in the hood and fenders.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I think that's a little too full retard for my purse straps right now :)

Alright :)

I could cancel the cams and sell the airbox separately, or we can talk about getting you a tuned engine for the end of next season...

Lightbulb Out posted:

This is great. Looking forward to hearing the cammed S54 :getin:

Me too. Especially with the CSL airbox. I think it's going to be very mean.

jamal posted:

Do these things have the same issue with the rear subframe/chassis mounts like the 3 series?

Also you need speed holes in the hood and fenders.

They don't, no.

And yes, I do. I won't be buying the actual GT wide body in carbon fibre, but I kind of want to learn to work with CF myself...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Nice

Looking forward to this build.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Glad to see another M-car getting used the way it was meant to be

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bilsteins, Brembos and Inevitably dead rods and a V8 swap planned in case?

(Has there ever been an M car without rod bearing problems?)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

InitialDave posted:

Came to post this but beaten. :(

Get all your parts from here:

http://www.studie.jp

Here's some build inspiration:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102549

And when the engine blows, put a 2JZ in it, in spirit of the next Toyota Supra/Z4.

Good times!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The S54 can be thought of an evolution of the 2JZ, in a way, real talk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can you put an S65 in it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bilsteins, Brembos and Inevitably dead rods and a V8 swap planned in case?

(Has there ever been an M car without rod bearing problems?)

As far as I know the only engine with a rod bearing issue is the S54 engine which is shared between the Z4M and e46 M3.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
S65s also have bearing issues.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lightbulb Out posted:

S65s also have bearing issues.

Are rod bearings BMWs new water pump?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a recent S motor without rod bearing issues? The S85 also has issues.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's like a <5% chance you'll have rod bearing issues in the S65/S85 but it's the only thing anyone ever talks about on those motors because nothing else ever really goes wrong.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wut, the S85 is pretty much guaranteed to roach the things.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
News to me, I know a lot of people pre-emptively swap them out for $2k or so and everyone I know who runs the S65 or S85 blackstones them religiously but I never followed the S85 that closely so perhaps they're worse than the S65, of which the failure rate is minimal but a big deal when it happens so gets plenty of discussion.

I know two guys who owned S85's for 3-5 years and did not have the issue arise so that is my anecdote.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I will be swapping in a Coyote or LS when the day comes - I don't want the car to sound like an American V8 but the price / performance and aftermarket support are unbeatable.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

HandlingByJebus posted:

Holy poo poo, the exhaust dumps just past the front wheels? That thing must be monstrously loud.

I thought it was funny that the exhaust dumps on the wrong side, turns out they used de-tuned S62 and S65 engines so I guess that is do-able at least with a SuperGT budget.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 6, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HandlingByJebus posted:

I will be swapping in a Coyote or LS when the day comes - I don't want the car to sound like an American V8 but the price / performance and aftermarket support are unbeatable.

How bout a Voodoo :getin:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Data Graham posted:

That would be freaking awesome. They're super expensive in crates still though.

But yes, Voodoo, please. :getin:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Data Graham posted:

That's the GT350 engine, yeah? I think that should satisfy the "not sound American" qualification.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yup. It is quite uncanny to hear a noise like that while you're flogging a Mustang.

(and for it to rev to 8 grand :vince:)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I said "still expensive in crates" when actually the truth is that Voodoo isn't available as a crate engine and Ford performance says that it intends to keep the flat-plane crank exclusive to the GT350. This is a shame but from a marketing perspective I guess I understand it.

It would probably be a $25-30k crate engine, anyway (guessing, since the Coyote is still a $15k engine from Ford Performance, and the 5.2 "Voodoo/Coyote" is $22k). That's a little :homebrew: even for me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well fooey. That'll teach me to assume such a thing exists just because people are apparently googling for it. :saddowns:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I've always had a soft spot for the Z ///////M coupes. Don't see many of them around! Good luck with it

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

HandlingByJebus posted:

Later on I'll be dealing with seats, harness bar, harnesses, and all of that fun poo poo. Eventually it will probably be a trailer-only track / parking lot bitch, but I'm delaying that outcome for as long as possible. Probably.

I'd put cage/seats/harness higher on the priority list IMHO. I'm much more comfortable and therefore faster in a car with a proper seat and harness holding me in so I don't move around at all. Downside is you'll feel vulnerable in a non-caged car after driving in one for a while and the whole getting in/out of the car can be a bit trickier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's like a <5% chance you'll have rod bearing issues in the S65/S85 but it's the only thing anyone ever talks about on those motors because nothing else ever really goes wrong.

Controversial opinion, this is also the explanation for god drat cooling system hysteria on the e46... :cheeky: