Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Found a treasure trove of NYC-specific Democratic Party participation information in this article: http://cityandstateny.com/articles/politics/new-york-city/the-who,-what,-where-and-why-of-county-committees/#.WEr3W-YrJhE

It's also mixed in with a lol-worthy account of something in the Bronx where people signed up people for their county committee without them knowing, and all of these unknowing committee members basically all lived in the same apartment building. I'm assuming there was also a move to get these people to give proxy votes to "real" members, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Hey, goon I met at the WCDP meeting last night, post in here or send me a PM so I can give you my personal email and cell #, instead of the work ones that were on my business card. Since we're in neighboring precincts, it'll probably be easier for us to coordinate stuff versus trying to coordinate through the folks in Taylor/Round Rock/Cedar Park.

surfacelevelspeck has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Dec 9, 2016

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

So trying to get involved up here in Buffalo seems to be kind of a shitshow. As far as I can tell, the local organization is the Erie County Democrats. Their website is a facebook feed + a big READY FOR HILLARY banner. Membership- as far as I can tell, which is limited- appears to be gated behind a 52$ yearly fee, which whatever, I've donated, because I got money. When you sign up, you can choose which committees you'd like to be considered for. I put a number of them, and then sent an email to the listed county chair asking for more details about what exactly each committee does and when they meet. I've got nothing back as a reply but "Thanks, look forward to meeting you!" and literally nothing else from the entire county party in the last month (I did all this in the days after the election). The absolute only thing I can find is a christmas party on Monday with a 50$ admission fee. I'm considering going out of sheer desperation that otherwise I may never actually meet any of these people. :v:

This poo poo is kind of frustrating. I also put myself in as a volunteer literally 'wherever you might need people'. I have money to donate! I have time to volunteer! Let me help you!

Thank god it's not just me. Their Facebook page has photos from an event from the Amherst Dems but gently caress if I knew when or where that was, cause it sure as poo poo wasn't on any website.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So, this may be really stupid but...

Edit: Nevermind, it was.

Had floated the idea of doing policy proposal exercises and maybe working towards a cohesive guide for discussing policy but... this isn't the thread for it. Ignore the responses below. Sorry.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Dec 10, 2016

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Summary: Representation for all in the Democratic Party.
Description: Apply the same quota system that the DNC requires for delegations to national conventions to apply for positions within state party positions. Ie where possible x% black, y% under 35, z% lgbt etc.
Targets: Young folks, minorities in super white areas, the disabled, lgbtq folks, pretty much every one who isn't old and white.
Opposition: the "machine" in different states, although since they would still have power over who gets picked maybe not so much.

I found out recently this would have to be changed at the DNC level, not state by state.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Here's an obvious one that I think most liberals/progressives agree on (to a degree), but still worth adding to the list:

"Everyone Deserves A Vote"
It's an utter failing of the democratic process that there are people who are unable to vote due to failure to register, lack of ability to reach voting stations, or other reasons.
1. Automatic voter enrollment upon turning 18 for all US citizens. All naturalized citizens are automatically enrolled upon taking the oath and receiving their naturalization. Make it illegal to strip a citizen of their voting rights for any reason, most notably change of address and incarceration.
2. Mandatory 2-week early voting period, including weekends.
3. Election Day is a mandatory county/state/national holiday, allowing those who can't vote early to vote on election day.
4. Equal distribution of voting stations in all precincts and districts. Strict regulation and harsh fines for states in violation of this regulation.
5. Declare all voter ID laws unconstitutional.
6. Allow all citizens to vote by mail, for any reason, not just disabled citizens and citizens of a certain age.
Targets: Minorities, the elderly, the disenfranchised, and working class citizens.
Opposition: By and large, conservatives and Republicans. Increases in voter turnout pulls the overall voting population to the center or center-left.

That's maybe not such an easy soundbite since it has so many parts, but each one is equally important. Maybe split this into two groups, anti-disenfranchisement and overall reform?

Comedy Option: "Eat the Rich"
Summary: The bourgeoisie have gone too long without being eaten. Let's rectify that.
Targets: The working class. Also would provide food for those below the poverty line.
Opposition: Those not wanting to be eaten.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
I'm a permanent resident (green card) and have lived in the US for a few years, though I'm still pretty far from citizenship. Can I still get involved in some way?

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

AbDomen posted:

I'm a permanent resident (green card) and have lived in the US for a few years, though I'm still pretty far from citizenship. Can I still get involved in some way?
I admire your willingness to help despite not being a citizen yet. I wish I'd actually given a poo poo back when I was just a resident.

Yes. Absolutely yes you can get involved. You might not be able to be a voting member of a party, i'm not sure on the rules for that (I'm assuming it requires citizenship), but you can still go to meetings, volunteer, donate, and start making inroads so that in the future when you do get the chance to vote, you're already well-placed in your local party.

What's your city/county/state? Glyph's probated right now but I can still see if I can point you in the right direction or find someone for you to contact.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Syndlig posted:

I admire your willingness to help despite not being a citizen yet. I wish I'd actually given a poo poo back when I was just a resident.

Yes. Absolutely yes you can get involved. You might not be able to be a voting member of a party, i'm not sure on the rules for that (I'm assuming it requires citizenship), but you can still go to meetings, volunteer, donate, and start making inroads so that in the future when you do get the chance to vote, you're already well-placed in your local party.

What's your city/county/state? Glyph's probated right now but I can still see if I can point you in the right direction or find someone for you to contact.

You're welcome, but you're probably not going to be able to move up along some channels. You still can be a valuable and influential person in the organization.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Syndlig posted:

Here's an obvious one that I think most liberals/progressives agree on (to a degree), but still worth adding to the list:

It's an utter failing of the democratic process that there are people who are unable to vote due to failure to register, lack of ability to reach voting stations, or other reasons.
1. Automatic voter enrollment upon turning 18 for all US citizens. All naturalized citizens are automatically enrolled upon taking the oath and receiving their naturalization. Make it illegal to strip a citizen of their voting rights for any reason, most notably change of address and incarceration.
3. Election Day is a mandatory county/state/national holiday, allowing those who can't vote early to vote on election day.
4. Equal distribution of voting stations in all precincts and districts. Strict regulation and harsh fines for states in violation of this regulation.
6. Allow all citizens to vote by mail, for any reason, not just disabled citizens and citizens of a certain age.
Targets: Minorities, the elderly, the disenfranchised, and working class citizens.
Opposition: By and large, conservatives and Republicans. Increases in voter turnout pulls the overall voting population to the center or center-left.

That's maybe not such an easy soundbite since it has so many parts, but each one is equally important. Maybe split this into two groups, anti-disenfranchisement and overall reform?

Summary: The bourgeoisie have gone too long without being eaten. Let's rectify that.
Targets: The working class. Also would provide food for those below the poverty line.

3 is a bad idea and will disproportionately impact the working class in a negative way. Do you think that someone making minimum wage is going to get paid for that holiday? Of course they won't. They'll be short $100+ for the month, and two weeks of early voting with enough polling stations would be sufficient to make this unnecessary.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Syndlig posted:

5 doesn't really make much sense. An unconstitutional ruling comes from the courts, not the legislature, and it's not something you can do in a blanket way, preemptively.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Barracuda Bang! posted:

3 is a bad idea and will disproportionately impact the working class in a negative way. Do you think that someone making minimum wage is going to get paid for that holiday? Of course they won't. They'll be short $100+ for the month, and two weeks of early voting with enough polling stations would be sufficient to make this unnecessary.
there are countries that have multi-day voting, the best suggestion i've heard of is make voting last a week instead of a holiday, and extend early voting to a longer period of time.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't mean to pick apart each of the crude proposals here. I'm kind of trying to illustrate the thought that each of these could have a thread of their own, and maybe we could keep this thread to doing what the title implies -- cracking open the Democratic Party to get a shot at actual participation. That's a big enough task on its own, and for a page or two, this thread took it seriously.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

to be very charitable, this thread is more than what the supposed "debate and discussion" forum has, and i'm not sure the IKs will want several threads about points of attack when the activist portion of this dead gay forum doesn't go past maybe 25 people

with this many, galvanizing what's already there though suggestion lists like that and getting local support is the best thing to suggest to people at the moment

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Alright, revised set of conditions then?
2. Mandatory 2-week early voting period, including weekends and the monday before Election Day. This gives voters the maximum possible opportunity to cast their ballot.
3. Equal distribution of voting stations in all precincts and districts. Strict regulation and harsh fines for states in violation of this regulation.
4. Allow all citizens to vote by mail, for any reason, not just disabled citizens and citizens of a certain age.

The original #5 has a slim chance of becoming reality if the Supreme Court suddenly decides to not be abysmal about voter rights, though that's not likely.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm working on getting involved in the Georgia Democrats. I got called by the 12th District Chair, and on his his instructions I'm going to my town's City Council meeting next Monday.

Anybody have experience with these meetings? Anything in particular I should ask or be listening out for?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Serf posted:

I'm working on getting involved in the Georgia Democrats. I got called by the 12th District Chair, and on his his instructions I'm going to my town's City Council meeting next Monday.

Anybody have experience with these meetings? Anything in particular I should ask or be listening out for?

I'd mostly just try to figure out who is important and be friendly.
Maybe ask your contact to introduce you to a few people.

One thing you can try is introducing yourself to a random person, letting them know you're new to this kind of thing, ask them about themselves and what they're all about, and after you've talked to them a bit, see if they can introduce you to someone else to help get a feel for the group.

Just bounce around, smile a lot, shake hands, try to remember names.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Summary: Medicare Revitalization and Protection Act (or whatever; "Medicare for All" just sounds a bit weak to me)
Description:
1. Streamlines our healthcare system by consolidating all current health insurance programs (SCHIP, Medicaid, current Medicare, veterans programs) into a single program, providing a single-payer health insurance program administered by the US government, based on the currently enormously popular Medicare program. Funding will be used to both pay for health care services as Medicare currently does, as well as to pay for the increased administrative work force required to operate the program.
2. Enables Medicare to negotiate drug prices with pharmaceutical providers.
3. Medical school debt relief. Recent graduates of medical school (say, last 10 years or less) are eligible for a debt relief package that at the very least will forgive their loans over the next ten years even if they're private loans (maybe set up a program to buy up medical school debt from private banks?). This is to help against any decrease in salaries that can be expected as Medicare becomes the sole payer on behalf of patients.
4. ?? Anything else?

Targets: While it does affect everyone, it should be targeted at anyone who has ever stressed over their healthcare costs. People don't trust "the government" but so many can't loving wait until they're eligible for Medicare, so we'd focus on that. "Medicare" is a known quantity while "government healthcare" is dark and foreboding. Present the scenario of being sick, or of finding out you have a severe illness but you still have other debt in the background ... and yet, you don't need to worry about paying for going to the doctor. Or for those X-Rays. Because you get to use the same thing your grandma has (and how would she like it if Medicare was cut, hmm?)

Scenario (Ad?): A working class couple is at the dinner table, looking over some forms. On the forms are numbers and the person reading them is obviously agonizing over them. "Honey, how are we going to pay for X (X is any disease that cannot be considered "your fault" by the opposition, these folks are innocent)? We have so many other bills..." The his wife points to the final line of the form with a big "DUE: 0.00" and calmly assures him that now Medicare is covering it. It's okay! Happy music plays.

Scenario 2: Guy wants to start a small business but agonizes over how to handle paying for his employees' health insurance or the paperwork he'll have to file. No fear, because Medicare (again, not the government) will take care of that! Continue being the backbone of America, or something.

Opposition: Massive, massive cost. I don't know how we'd either downplay this or have an acceptable answer for it that wouldn't turn off a lot of people.

Edit: Something to note here is that you need to make it explicitly clear how this affects Joe Voter directly. This isn't to "help out others", it's to help out him.

Bizarro Watt has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Dec 10, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I don't mean to pick apart each of the crude proposals here. I'm kind of trying to illustrate the thought that each of these could have a thread of their own, and maybe we could keep this thread to doing what the title implies -- cracking open the Democratic Party to get a shot at actual participation. That's a big enough task on its own, and for a page or two, this thread took it seriously.

Yeah, in hindsight it was as stupid an idea (for this thread) as I thought it would be. Better to keep a careful focus on Participation here. If anyone is still interested, feel free to start another thread policy discussion, but probably better to stick to "what do I need to do" and "things I have done" specifically here.

Any policy discussion done here should be in the form of "I'm going to bring this up at my next meeting and would like feedback" rather than the thread itself generating discussion topics just for the hell of it.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Dec 10, 2016

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The GOP is not going to kill Medicare. It's incredibly politically popular and essential to the people who keep the GOP in office. Medicare will be fine.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ScrubLeague posted:

The GOP is not going to kill Medicare. It's incredibly politically popular and essential to the people who keep the GOP in office. Medicare will be fine.

Best case scenario, the elderly get to keep their current benefits and everyone else loses theirs. Do not underestimate how distanced from reality the GOP is right now

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah Medicaid is gone, and so is your ability to purchase health insurance if you don't work for one of America's Eight Companies in 2017. But Medicare is here to stay, absolutely.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Zberan Madowinty posted:

Kentucky Goon checking in - we have a lot of work to do in this state, but I am going to a holiday potluck next week where I will be put on committees for the largest democratic party group in Jefferson County.

I'm also starting up my research as I plan on running for state house in 2018. I believe in Louisville becoming a tech city the same way that Pittsburgh has and it's important that our state politics reflect that Louisville needs to grow instead of hampering our needed progress in favor of continued tax breaks for businesses that simply pocket the cash as they fail to bring any new work to the state.

I personally believe that Trump is on a fine filament. It would seem his supporters are simply devoted to him no matter what he does, but I believe he is one major mistake from turning them against him. Already his choice of Mnuchin as treasury secretary has turned off quite a few relatives of mine who happily voted for Trump. I am not delusional enough to think that in 2018 the tide of resentment will be fully in place, but it very well may be and if it is, I think it's important that we paint the entire republican party as cheerleaders for a failed administration.

My vision for Louisville and for Kentucky is that our best days are ahead of us.

When I visited I got the impression that Lexington could be blue but I was just visiting the university

That usually helps tho

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, in hindsight it was as stupid an idea (for this thread) as I thought it would be. Better to keep a careful focus on Participation here. If anyone is still interested, feel free to start another thread policy discussion, but probably better to stick to "what do I need to do" and "things I have done" specifically here.

Any policy discussion done here should be in the form of "I'm going to bring this up at my next meeting and would like feedback" rather than the thread itself generating discussion topics just for the hell of it.

Perhaps to facilitate this while maintaining the participatory theme of the thread, we kick off a slack or discord or something for our goon caucus to coordinate?

Besides, fun and encouraging as it is to plot the overthrow of the bourgeoisie with you all in here, if we're to achieve the critical mass necessary to move the Democratic party and do so as a coordinated group, we will be needing to outgrow this thread in the dark recesses of a dead gay comedy forum.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I'm gonna join one of my towns committees.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

whiteworkingclass.jpg

:lol: I laughed way too hard at this

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

that reminded me that i almost typed "monoliberal" an hour ago

where is my mind

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

We need to start appealing more to the neolithic block, and stop worrying so much about those drat monoliberals.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
brings a new meaning to the word paleoconservatives at least

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I'm at a local Dem meeting and there are two white women behind me whining that "it was HER TURN" how do I not haul off

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I'm at a local Dem meeting and there are two white women behind me whining that "it was HER TURN" how do I not haul off

tell them it was her turn but she forgot to take it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gonna go up to the county dem offices this coming week to get some helpful materials and networking because six college kids annoying the gently caress out of reps can only do so much

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

rudatron posted:

brings a new meaning to the word paleoconservatives at least

No wonder they always bonk women over their heads and drag them back into the mancave.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Homeless Friend posted:

No wonder they always bonk women over their heads and drag them back into the mancave.
eventually this won't actually be a joke

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Got about 6 people so far willing to help me throw a coup of the local DNC. :getin:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ace of Baes posted:

Got about 6 people so far willing to help me throw a coup of the local DNC. :getin:
:patriot:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

Radical.

For easier collaboration, I have decided there is at least one more on topic thing I would like to do in this thread : let me know if you want your state or region added to the OP so people can see at a glance if there are any fellow revolutionaries in the area to man the barricades with

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

GlyphGryph posted:

Radical.

For easier collaboration, I have decided there is at least one more on topic thing I would like to do in this thread : let me know if you want your state or region added to the OP so people can see at a glance if there are any fellow revolutionaries in the area to man the barricades with

You can add me for CO.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I showed up at the local Democrats meeting and asked when we were forming a Vanguard Party to overthrow the bourgeoisie and they asked me to leave.

Kulaks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

GlyphGryph posted:

Radical.

Hell toss me in for western New York. poo poo's pretty barren.

• Locked thread