Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well after Love, Love is the actual best part, he is a good dog

heck yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Honorable mentions:

Nurse's dog

Pack of dobermans

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That's just a less goofy looking Densuke, who is still the best dog after all these years.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a vote against truck death is a vote against isekai. which honestly, i can't really disagree with since the vast majority of isekai stories are godawful.

When did this hate against isekai stories start? And why?
I remember the term getting thrown around a lot more after Re:Zero and usually in a negative context.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fangz posted:

That's just a less goofy looking Densuke, who is still the best dog after all these years.

he got a firmware update

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Demicol posted:

I remember the term getting thrown around a lot more after Re:Zero and usually in a negative context.

its cause theres a lot of them and most of them are insanely boring and needlessly jam in rpg mechanics in what could just be a fine fantasy story without them

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Demicol posted:

It's the latest light novel trend, and since there's an assload of poorly-written, unimaginative light novels, that means we've been flooded with poorly-written isekai.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Davincie posted:

its cause theres a lot of them and most of them are insanely boring and needlessly jam in rpg mechanics in what could just be a fine fantasy story without them

The only one that I truly disliked was Danmachi.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I started seeing all of the hatred for RPG mechanics in fantasy stories around the time Danmachi S1 aired.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Demicol posted:

I expect this is due to the tide of opinion turning on Sword Art Online which is the poster child of the genre and what most of these are imitating.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

The only one that I truly disliked was Danmachi.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I started seeing all of the hatred for RPG mechanics in fantasy stories around the time Danmachi S1 aired.

danmachi was just a fantasy story. isekai refers to traveling to another world. rpg mechanics are commonly found in isekai stories, but it isn't an intrinsic part of the genre.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
ACCA's ending was basically perfect, drat. It's also the show with the best soundtrack so far this year.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Ok, so things are ending, should I go back and watch: Demi chan, ACCA, that thing where it's a salaryman in a blonde girl's body and it's WW1?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Agronox posted:

Ok, so things are ending, should I go back and watch: Demi chan, ACCA, that thing where it's a salaryman in a blonde girl's body and it's WW1?

the latter two

demi-chan is ok but the manga is better, while acca is just good and the tanya anime is the best version of the material by far

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Agronox posted:

definitely watch ACCA, skip Demi if you've read the manga, no strong feelings on Tanya the Evil

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Agronox posted:

I recommend rear end in a top hat salaryman's totally-not-warcrime filled adventure if you're really feeling the spite, or Demi-chan if you just want to relax.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demi-chan is the only one of those I watched and it was good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

March lion

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Thanks all! I will watch those two and read the manga for the other.

E: and maybe also march lion!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

They are all good, but I think ACCA and march lion are extra good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If we are talking in general outside of that trio then I cannot believe anything in the current season can possibly match either Lion or Rakugo S2. It is criminal how little talk there has been about Rakugo in particular.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Tanya is okay for such a weird and suspect premise but it's not really anything more than okay; it's just a story about a war criminal and his feud with God and very little would be lost if he were a regular adult instead of a kid.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

If we are talking in general outside of that trio then I cannot believe anything in the current season can possibly match either Lion or Rakugo S2. It is criminal how little talk there has been about Rakugo in particular.

Rakugo is on my "definitely watch at some point" list, but it doesn't seem as "fun" as other shows.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
ACCA is insanely good

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

I was waiting to marathon Rakugo all at once since waiting between episodes of the first season was killer, but now is probably the time to go for it, I guess.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Nate RFB posted:

If we are talking in general outside of that trio then I cannot believe anything in the current season can possibly match either Lion or Rakugo S2.

it's Kemono Friends

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Space Flower posted:

it's Kemono Friends

this

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

second seasons and longer shows are always going to fall between the gaps to some degree, because they're more of a commitment. I've got a rakugo batch ready for tomorrow and will binge the last few eps of March Lion this weekend. the latter has definitely been good. it just feels like the sort of thing that was a strong story to begin with, and is just getting an average adaptation in typical Shaft style.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Agronox posted:

Rakugo is on my "definitely watch at some point" list, but it doesn't seem as "fun" as other shows.

It's definitely melodramatic but it's not a slog. I love all the characters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This, also.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
March Lion is so so so good, can't recommend it enough.

Def gonna check out ACCA, it was like the one thing i was interested in this season other than march lion and i went with march lion. glad ACCA owned

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I need to catch up on Rakugo and Kuzu no Honkai, but I've just been in too overall decent a mood to really dig into them. I'll get around to it sooner than later, since there's not much this next season (other than Saekano) that immediately grabs my interest.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
You should watch Scum's Wish.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What a great season this was

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

What a great season this was

Yes! I was happy with pretty much everything I watched (though I dropped LWA, might come back to it) and there's still half a dozen good ones I haven't seen yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It really was insanely good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Season's been okay IMO. MaiDragon's really excellent, but nothing else really threatened to match the one-two punch of Flip Flappers and Eupho from last season IMO. Gabriel Dropout was a static but well executed and nice-looking comedy that I consistently enjoyed, Kemono Friends was deceptively charming behind all the jank, and the middle third of BanG Dream was some really good High School drama that scratched a similar itch as Eupho - although BanG Dream still has 4 episodes to go, I think, due to a weird schedule. LWA started off real strong, but the further I got from the first 3 eps, the more bored I got until I wound up dropping it, which is a shame.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everyone's seemed to have forgotten about Konosuba. I know I sure did.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didn't. it was a good show and the finale was well-animated

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I only stuck with KonoSuba, March Comes in Like a Lion, Kemono Friends and Maid Dragon. I was down to three shows when i decided to check out what the heck is this Kemono Friends thing anyway, so that was a late addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Fangz posted:

I expect this is due to the tide of opinion turning on Sword Art Online which is the poster child of the genre and what most of these are imitating.

What turn of the tide of opinion about SAO? It's been getting people talking poo poo about it for years, I've seen no real change recently. The irony of a huge chunk of the bitching of course being SAO is rather low tier in regards to MC power levels of those types of works. If the tide is turning, it's just due to the market having been oversaturated for too long, not due to people magically having a change of opinion over something that came out years ago.

And honestly, I'd take a random isekai in a heartbeat over the OreImo crowd of LNs, which seem to be another big group at the moment.

• Locked thread