Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Endorph posted:

Ao no Exorcist is pretty much standard shonen - it's got some decent fights, some great side characters, and a kind of meh protagonist. The female characters get a bit more screentime than in most shonen (probably because it's written by a woman,) but that's really the only big thing it has over any other b-level shonen.

Hey, "totally generic shonen anime but written by a woman" gave us Kekkaishi and D. Gray Man. It's a very tenuous connection to quality but this is still the first thing that's given me a glimmer of interest on Ao no Exorcist. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kiznaiver wasn't ridiculous enough, it really petered out at the end.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Davincie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmr6VSOW4zU

yuasa adapting another novel by the tatami galaxy author

'A black haired girl is walking around the streets of Kyoto, from the night scene of Pontocho to a second-hand book fair in Shimogamo, then off to a college fair. The main character that has a romantic feeling for her secretly follows her around and looks for the opportunities to run into her in a manner that seems like a coincidence. Unfortunately for him, she is not interested in love yet so she does not notice his feelings. What waits these two characters are crazy incidents caused by individuals such as a person who introduces himself as a Japanese mythical creature Tengu, the god of second-hand book or the money lender in a three story vehicle.'

yessssssss

although: those character designs look so similar to The Tatami Galaxy's supporting cast that I can't tell if some of them are supposed to be the same people or not

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i see he's upgraded from nuns with guns to bishops with blades

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'd be down with anime Dangerous Liaisons, not gonna lie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I had to look this up, seconded based on skimming the plot synopsis.

It's a great movie in its own right, I highly recommend it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I haven't watched any anime in at least a year before this season, what are these yuri overtones shows that are good

1) Revolutionary Girl Utena

2) ???

3) Profit!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

One Room is intensely creepy, I'd say close to the definition of that word. It's "first person", you see through the eyes of the "main character", who has no voice apart from any you add yourself. A high school girl moves in next door, greets you, and later asks you to help her study. The camera movement is intensely "male gaze". Very unsettling to watch.

split every episode into two sections where the other half is her POV and you'd be approaching High Art :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

yay! I need to get around to finishing the first season at some point.

yeah same here, it seemed really cool but also pretty dense and at the time it was airing i had too much going on to give it my full attention

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Davincie posted:

populism was season 2

did they spend season two repudiating everything that happened in the first season or something

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fangz posted:

Also I want a Kyoani Shirobako that is just a slice of life show about an organised and stress free anime production.

that sounds kind of grotesque, unless kyoani really is such an environment

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

One day there will be an up and coming studio that has incredible passion for Jojo Berserk and they will slowly work themselves into the position where they can buy the rights for the anime. Then they will make a labor of love that will finally get them recognized, securing manga faithful adaptation of all the arcs. That day is nowhere near the foreseeable future.

I appreciate Berserk for what it is but I'd rather somebody do this for Battle Angel Alita honestly

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Davincie posted:

i heard the good part of occultic was the direction tho? the story as far as i could stomach it at least... wasn't good

Yeah Occultic;Nine just felt like a bunch of static characters stumbling around in the dark while occasionally having the real plot explained to them (and the audience) directly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

Yeah, Katanagatari is great.

are you making a funny at him or is there more Katanagatari somehow or is that from the original 12 episodes and i somehow forgot

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Endorph posted:

ill pledge to the patreon if i can fire whoever thought the ragyo scenes in kill la kill were a good idea

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

but... anime refused to change

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I like Blue Exorcist. It's basically a poor man's Kekkaishi / D. Gray Man but that's okay.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

that sure is a big o

(big o, big o, big o...)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Everywhere has bad taste. Only my taste is perfect and impeccable.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

NEGOTIATOR
ANDROID
BUTLER
OFFICER

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

If we get more Big O I hope it doesn't acknowledge or make any effort to explain the ending of season 2.

I'd like it to acknowledge it, retconning it out of spite would be dumb. Season 2 owned, ending and all. At worst it was a little rushed and some of the stuff that the writer later talked about in an interview (basically just about Roger and Dorothy's future in the new world, nothing about the nature of the old world or what happened between Big O and Big Venus would have been nice to see.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I watched like 50-60 episodes of Gintama some years ago and the one thing that stood out to me was how inconsistent it is

Like you'll have dozens of episodes in a row where nothing funny happens or at least nothing to raise more than a smirk and then every once in a while they just knock it out of the loving park for 20 minutes at a time without a single miss

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if there were a show that was Good Gintama all of the time it would be DMC-tier, but there isn't

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I ignored ACCA for ages because ADTRW circle-jerking about cakes is generally a sign that I won't care, but no, ACCA is really good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What's that from?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I first praised Bakemonogatari for being a massive 'gently caress you' to Haruhi and all it stood for when I got into it 5 years ago.

how do you figure

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

please don't try to understand grouchio's logic

i have a great deal more curiosity than regrets stemming from curiosity

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

an actual dog posted:

Posting in this forum was a huge mistake.

Alternatively, be the change you want to see in ADTRW.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Even if you write off episode six the show immediately picks up a running gag about a grown woman constantly hitting on an eleven year old boy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm tentatively on board? first summer of love presumably means more Norb

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tragedy is good. Taking liberties in adaptations is also good. This whole conversation is framed in the weirdest ways.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

shiki is honestly pretty good

good enough to compensate for the horrible hair!

what the gently caress

the hair is the best part

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

well after Love, Love is the actual best part, he is a good dog

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tanya is okay for such a weird and suspect premise but it's not really anything more than okay; it's just a story about a war criminal and his feud with God and very little would be lost if he were a regular adult instead of a kid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ACCA is insanely good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think Tanya could conceivably be in my top 3 but it's a misleading statement because it's more like Rakugo and ACCA dueling in the stratosphere causing sonic booms and a creepy little not-German girl looking up at the sky going "what the gently caress was that?"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

-Rakugo even at it's lowest was basically higher than everyone else :smug:

Seriously people, watch Rakugo.

You know how Chihayafuru is a really good drama even if you don't care about Karuta, because the characters shine through?

Rakugo is better than that; I finished the first episode and immediately went to see if there were rakugo performances in Pittsburgh. And it's got really good drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In Training posted:

Were there any rakugo performances in Pittsburg

There was one a few months ago at a general-purpose theater, but no actual ongoing tradition or anything. I'm gonna check again though.

• Locked thread