Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Is the entire marketing strategy of Seiren to give as little information about it as possible? Why is this strategy working on me? :psyduck:

Strong looking season we got here, for a Winter. Far less phoneing-it-in series than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

My take from the MaidDragon PV is that it's a wish fulfillment show where you reduce your daily commute time by 95% via riding a flying dragon to work.

Sure, I'm on board.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The nominees for Most Heartwarming Scene are good.

The rest is garbage lol wtf how could they be this bad

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Return of the Low-effort Rainbow Gradient, brought to us originally by K :barf:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Random Voting Results Spoiler: Rakugo has the highest average score, as in, people who watched it and put it in their top 5 typically rated it very highly, like #1 or #2. This may show that the show is very polarizing, or very e/n: either you absolutely love it or are very meh about it. But it is a small sample size!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I can set up a visualization like that for our stuff too! Let me tinker with spreadsheet formulas this weekend :shobon:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

One Room is so bad it's not even consistent with itself: On one occasion it switches to her point of view for no reason other than to show her chest, because the lack of congruity with the shot compositions prior can't be explained any other way.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

I enjoyed Maidragon since it's goofy and cute and features people in software jobs being annoyed at their jobs.

This. Having no experience with the manga I was (very pleasantly) surprised at the percentage of jokes that were on this level. They were not shy on going deep with the "Daily life of Office Lady who is jaded by all the nonsense that comes with a programming job" jokes, and it looks like they are only getting started. I selfishly look forward to more even though I know tons of these jokes and references won't ring with many viewers.

The dragon stuff is p funny too, for the record. Good first ep, looks like the potential for Solid Stuff.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am curious, thank you!

....Is K similarly weird to look at? Should I go find an episode to watch?

I recall getting physically sick trying to watch the first episode of K because of those rainbow post-processing gradients.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Random impressions of shows without threads yet:

The Dramas I Can Barely Tell Apart:
Fuuka - With all the drama shows this winter, this one may stand out under the looming impression that poo poo is about to go down. Well I'm down for the train-wreck. Also the bright blue anime hair does help.

Masamune-kun's Revenge - Conceptually this one stands out, but is also the one that is least transparent about their mandated "include # ecchi things per episode". This has the most "want to know what happens next" pull.

Seiren - Had to scrub through the first episode again to make sure I wasn't thinking about another show when watching episode 2. May be dropped due to time constraints, but I did inexplicably watch the Amagami series, so I feel compelled to give this a shot.

Scum's Wish - Not sure if "double rebound" is enough of a foundation to make this interesting, but I'll watch a few more eps. The characters are the most forgettable of the bunch, only barely over Seiren's.

Other shows:
Urara Merichou - Possibly too cute for it's own good. No really, the exposition is awkwardly ham-fisted. I'm not fond of shows that assume their audience is that much of a bunch of morons. Maybe it'd be better if they went the other way and just made is full fluffy Slice of Life.

Dragon Maid - Still waiting on the next episodes to confirm, but I'm down with this comedic style.

Saga of Tanya the Evil - I actually like the double-first episode style. I'm a fan of non-linear storytelling done right, and this felt like it was executed well. The plot is crazy, the action is crazy, the faces are crazy, I'm on board.

ChäoS;Child - And this would be an example of poor execution of the double-first episode. Feels like they had an interesting concept that got destroyed by implementation. Don't know, don't care, dropped.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

zetsubou.jpg

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

quote:

Busuo Shoujo Machiavellism

lmao

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Ffuuu I can't believe I'm about to do this...

I kinda agree with Darth Walrus. As an anime-only viewer there is this dissonance between what people are saying about the series and the little nuances they keep putting into the adaptation. I think it's certainly possible to create the show without any creepiness, unintentional or not, but it would take really tight storyboarding and editing. Like, imagine if this were KyoAni's winter project instead, this conversation never happens.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It would be more creepy if he were fine with it rather than going 'oh poo poo this wasn't a good idea'

And... it would be less creepy if he didn't touch them at all. What's the point?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Crazy concept: it's ok to not like things that Japan likes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

darkgray posted:

Fuuka seems to be going anime original to some degree now, so who knows where it will end up.

Oh, no wonder this latest episode felt like it was starting to unravel. Like, the show is telling me a school is basically allowing a violent riot to occur on campus and nothing is done to stop it, and that a thrown beer bottle can smash the neck of a bass guitar? Also the characters are starting to act incongruent with their characterization.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Scum's Wish is ... hmm I had a lot of words written here, but it's easier to just say Scum's Wish is School Days 2017.

I find it humorous and fun to watch.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong all, but I haven't seen demographics of Tanya, scum's wish, and Maid Dragon overlapping very much.

It's me, I'm the center of this awkward anime Venn diagram, AMA.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

If it weren't for Euphonium we wouldn't have the advanced legwork in Maidragon, which will also probably be in every KyoAni production from here until eternity, jfc show some respect for your elders

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Please suggest a funny title for the next season thread. Winner gets to highlight their favorite show in the OP. tia

Spring Season 2017:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Also like half a dozen big titty fantasy shows for some reason.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Fuuka (10): That scene's construction was so hamfisted lol I knew they weren't gonna go through with it

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

Man, Fuuka's anime-original confession scene was really great.

"gently caress it all, I love you goddammit!" (liberties taken with the translation).

I realize I said that I didn't care about the character at all two episodes ago, but they did a great job of rehabilitating her this episode, and almost entirely in what felt like 120 seconds of playtime.

Is there any Sara-senpai romance in the manga? Seems like they did their level best to set her up as a heroine possibility, and then immediately forgot about her.

Fuuka's last episode was like watching a semi truck drive full-steam-ahead over a rope bridge. Really shaky, not perfect in any way, could have been a disaster at any time, but somehow managed to stick some semblance of an ending. Props to the editors and storyboarders, this could have been way, way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Endorph posted:

rakugo is good but not better than chihayafuru

yeap

• Locked thread