Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

in our stomachs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Onihei is a long-running and highly popular multimedia franchise, from what I can tell (this show will mark its fiftieth anniversary), and it'd be cool if it successfully makes the jump to animation, but I didn't see anything particularly stunning in a cursory glance across the director's resume, so I'm not getting super hyped just yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Araki posted:

I'm slowly making my way through the list in the OP.

Is the first season of this any good? It looks like it might be a fun brainless shonen romp, I'm just wondering if there's anything offensively terrible about it.

I watched the PV that introduces the keyboard girl, and the first thing that went through my head was, "Oh hey, that's the K-On keyboard sound".

After reading the synopsis I was not expecting that art style.

Blue Exorcist was OK, but I heard it did that BONES thing of derailing into a not-very-good anime-only arc at the end.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

Ao no Exorcist is pretty much standard shonen - it's got some decent fights, some great side characters, and a kind of meh protagonist. The female characters get a bit more screentime than in most shonen (probably because it's written by a woman,) but that's really the only big thing it has over any other b-level shonen.

The bits I saw of it also included a little more teamwork than the shonen standard, which was a refreshing change. It looked as good as BONES's shonen adaptations usually do, too, which was nice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The Saint Seiya spin-off about a female saint is getting an anime

Hopefully it's like Saint Seiya Omega, and she gets to be totally badass for fifty episodes of charming, low-budget fun before the execs catch on and have the original cast take over the show.

Omega S1 was pretty neat, y'all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

The manga is by Natsume Ono and I'm glad they're maintaining her art style, can't wait for all the whining to start about how ugly everyone is like House of Five Leaves got

I had no idea what you were taking about, since I couldn't see any way you could consider the designs in that trailer ugly unless you have a deep, personal objection to characters having noses, so I did a GIS of House of Five Leaves.

... dang. That is not an effective visual transition from manga to anime. Was Edo experiencing a wave of immigration from Innsmouth or something?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I read the manga and it's not

Which particular ways does it end up being bad in? I'm seeing a lot of potential points of failure here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Magical Girl Militaries always confuse me. Like, they have flying/hover technology, but they still use these 1940's guns. Makes totes sense.

Nanoha at least went all-in there. Except for those weird boxy helicopters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Urara Meirochou seems extremely cute. The premise is that the main character Chiya comes to a city where girls from around the country go to become uranaishi who divine fortunes, and becomes an apprentice uranaishi together with three other girls with the intention of becoming the greatest fortuneteller, an Urara. Well, that's the premise, but mostly they seem to just eat a lot.

How do you even get promoted as a fortune-teller, anyway?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

rakugo shinjuu op is out, its like a bond song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGx7u3hMCOA

yeah, this is going to be a redemption story, where the younger generation learn from the older and rise above their mistakes

Hey, was that an Evangelion riff at the end?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

High praise, considering 2016 gave us flip flappers, sweetness and lightning, Mob Psycho 100, konosuba, and more that I'm probably forgetting.

It deserves that praise. Seriously. Euph S2, Flip Flappers, and/or Mob may be more to your tastes depending on what your tastes are, but it's absolutely a top-tier 2016 show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In Fall '16 holdover news, it seems like Classicaloid is going places:

https://twitter.com/annjakeh/status/817864076004986880

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can see it taking on elements of MonMusu's cheerful, off-the-wall romcom style (minus a few metric tonnes of raunch) if they decide to make a romance subplot between the two teachers a thing. Which I would not object to.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Gosh I hope that romantic subplot doesn't happen.

Hey, it's leagues better than any of the alternatives. If the series chooses to go romantic, that is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hold on a second, though - which one's which?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

Strength comes in many forms.

Lady can incapacitate an entire train-car by accident. That's no joke.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like Hand Shakers is making an early bid for the prestigious 'most disconcerting boob animation of the season' award.

https://twitter.com/annjakeh/status/818894738069688320

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

New VOTOMS TV series announced for sometime in 2017.

Interesting. Hopefully either the CG is less crappy, or they use less of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of anime Nazis (and of blowing them up with giant beam cannons), someone high up at MAL seems to think they're being unfairly persecuted.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Infamously. Check our 'worst anime of 2016' thread.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I was wondering why nobody got excited. I don't read the manga. Is it really bad or just got predictable/boring?

The coup arc is a little slow, brings the whole can o' worms about the story's politics to the surface (I'm not saying it goes full Hitler, just that it draws attention to some uncomfortable and so-far unanswered questions about where Isayama is taking all this), and involves significantly less sicknasty Titan MMA. That said, the arcs before it do involve quite a bit of sicknasty Titan MMA, plus some other extremely cool poo poo, so it'll still be a fun ride. May just fall off a bit in its second half, particularly since I don't trust Araki to make the smart directorial choices necessary to improve that arc - he's not great at pacing, and a little too faithful in his adaptations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Maidragon isn't even the best monster woman anime this season.

Eh. Demi-chan keeps sticking these little harem elements in its story of a guy being a surrogate dad to three adorable monster-girl daughters, and it comes across as way more unsettling than an actual, straight-up harem romcom would. Pick a genre and stick with it, guys, because the two just don't mesh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

He's not a surrogate dad, he's a teacher.

Eh, you know what I mean. He's very much placed as the main responsible male adult in their lives in everything from his character design to his voice-acting, creating a distance that makes the harem elements that creep through anyway feel so much weirder. More conventional teacher-student harem shows tend to de-emphasise that gap, creating a fantasy world where the situation isn't as weird as it would be in real life, while Demi-chan spends most of its time laying out that yes, he's an adult, and yes, they're children, and yes, that's how they'll be treated respectively, and then every so often goes 'but they're kind of legit romantic prospects anyway'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I don't get that vibe at all on his end. The only thing I notice is a guy who reacts slightly awkwardly to the fact that he's crossing over typical student-teacher boundaries by mentoring them on a fatherly level.

It was mainly Episode 4 that weirded me out a little. Between a teacher giving one of her students advice on how to seduce a fellow teacher ('maybe you should try wearing nice clothes?') and a joke about our protagonist wigging out over his student's boobs pressing into his chest when he hugged her too tight, it kind of shook my confidence that they'd keep things non-creepy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I only watched the early episodes of Blue Exorcist S1, but I liked the unusual emphasis on teamwork by shonen standards. Does that stick around?

Meanwhile, you really do have to admire the light novel industry for its tireless efforts to dig out fresh and exciting new material from the fetish mines.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's not really a new fetish. In fact, it's literally a classic fetish

Oedipus complexes, yes, but I don't believe I've ever seen the specific fetish combination of 'genius gamer mother with superpowers'. Unless you're going to tell me that's a whole genre.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the Japan has bad taste meme

Everywhere has bad taste. Only my taste is perfect and impeccable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Crazy concept: it's ok to not like things that Japan likes.

We'll have to wait a few months for the soil samples from the base of Mount Fuji to be analysed in order to determine what Japan likes, though. I don't think there's been anything with Norio Wakamoto's pleasing tectonic vibrations for a while, so I hear they're relying on migration patterns and rainfall estimates for their best guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

littleorv posted:

America sucks!

True.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Fake news. Actually America blows.

Also true.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

ID-0 has a new PV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-pSJ_kjh8s

Not what anyone was expecting, right?

However...if you think that's not interesting enough, there's also a translated plot summary.

Which kind of spoils the surprise, but I think the intrigue also balances things out nicely.

Here's hoping it's better than Active Raid. Taniguchi can usually get the best out of his writers, but that depends on them being good to begin with, and Kuroda's output is... variable. He did Build Fighters, but also Try. He did the first season of 00, but also everything else. His last collabs with Taniguchi were Infinite Ryvius and s-CRY-ed, so that's probably our best guide here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, check it, a new Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul PV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSczPBZeNRc

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Finally, the most D&D of light novels.

quote:

I Couldn't Get Real Satisfaction [a Girlfriend] So I Became a Comrade to a Revolutionary

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Someone please post a list of the spring anims, making sure to highlight the ones with the breasts

Moobs included, y/n?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like Shuumatsu Nani will be this season's Grimgar.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, judging by the key visual and summary, it looks like the folks behind sin: Nanatsu no Taizai decided that the best way to improve on 'bland high school student is surrounded by cute superpowered girls with big boobs' as a concept was to make the bland high school student a cute girl with big boobs as well.

I, for one, respect them for that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Same but extremely sincerely

'But'?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

it looks bad

Probably. But they had one good idea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know that Gate was a controversial titty fantasy anime, but I'd never heard of Divine Gate. What's up with Divine Gate?

Amusingly terrible writing kicking off right from the first episode. For instance, the lead is so wracked by self-loathing that he only eats cold food to match his cold heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

kumiko grew in s2, also.

And got a new, better girlfriend.

• Locked thread