Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Current list of Winter hopefuls:

Demi-chan
Gabriel DropOut
Kemono Friends
Kobayashi-san Chi to Maidragon
LWA
nyanko-days
YowaPedal

Maybes:
Urara Meirochou
KonoSuba S2 (need to watch s1 first)
Idol Jihen
ACCA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

darkgray posted:

In the same vein, that Saki live-action thing seems to have started, and there's this fancy music video whatever to go with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI7a6s67jkg

Moe Anime characters do NOT translate well into live action

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, not that anyone watched it, but Kiznavier was also very good. I'm willing to trust Trigger, especially when the setting makes creepy stuff less likely (hopefully :ohdear:)

Kiznaiver was a series that definitely needed two-cours to be very good so it's still a question of how well Trigger can pace episodes and plots

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope we get to see the Antarcticans or some of the weirder poo poo in the series. I haven't seen new scans in a while though which is a shame

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eADGP3b9j0

The PV for Gabriel DropOut if it hasn't been posted already. Been spoiling myself with the manga and it's quite amusing. The PV seems to show some sequences extended like the initial introduction and the fight with the dog

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

So sorta like Pita Ten, but then not really.

It's probably closer to Sansha Sanyo except that it's four girls all messing with each other, with one more teased in particular and one less teased because she's the Tsukkomi. They just so happen to be angels and demons, but otherwise they're just goofballs.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 12, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I might make an OP for it when the new season starts barring :effort:

The main two are relatively normal compared to the trolling angel and the harebrained demon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

chumbler posted:

Kobayashi sounds perfect. Tooru I am not yet sold on.

I'm pretty sold on both and seeing more of it in action makes me even more excited.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Colonel posted:

lwa anime will probably cover the plots of the two shorts but you should still watch them anyway because the first one is great and the second one is very pretty

It looks like it might cover them somewhat (the first one loosely at this point due to recollection). The second one might be a lot more tolerable/better since they can make it the end of an actual character arc where Akko starts thinking of herself as king of Magic poo poo mountain due to the events of the first "movie" wherever they occur in the series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Ambulance posted:

how dare a character develop

The problem is that Akko didn't develop into being a terrible person to start that way in LWA2, she just goes from confident and chipper with her friends at the end of LWA1 to being a cocky poo poo to them at the start of LWA2 with no obvious reason or development.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Colonel posted:

please don't judge something as being remotely similar to monster musume literally just because it has the word "monster girls" in the english title

i'm not sure there's any way demi-chan could be further from that

It could involve boys for one

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Namtab posted:

monster musume has a guy

Plural.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Well she already likes him sooooooooo

She only likes him because he has the will power to not get visibly super aroused upon touching her

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

Kemono Friends washed the bad of Hand Shakers out of my senses. It's simple and pleasing.

Hand Shakers must be turbo bad because Kemono Friends seems really dumb and boring.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Weed Wolf posted:

Maidragon was pretty decent, would've been bumped up to "solidly good" if there weren't the occasional dumb thing like the boob sound effects

One of CK's things is very large boobs visibly bouncing in panels. KyoAni's merely animating the source material appropriately.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i think the anime was announced first but morishima's manga began publication earlier

I believe this is the case. The manga starts a lot differently from the anime but by the time the anime gets going, the manga starts to bring the anime plot lines in halfway through (like the invisible storm as well as the introduction of the glasses Yuri) and it presumably resolves the same way (I dropped Yurikuma around episode 3).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

The real problem is that it tricks you with great art and action, but its fanservice increases exponentially as it goes on, to a distressing and bad degree.

Without the fanservice (and there's a lot to the point of it being borderline hentai), it'd probably be a pretty good Shounen battle series. I like it, even if there's some troubling and skeevy parts. I do admire his rather elaborate setup though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-sEn6CNDZk
https://twitter.com/yoshikadu2010/status/745074467051737088

In a sort of cosmic irony, it runs in the same magazine as MaiDragon which is definitely cool and good and not skeevy except for one character but only due to her design.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Fafnir made a guest appearance in LWA this week.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ulio posted:

NGNL was just meh imo but Madhouse quality made it bearable. It felt too cliche with the plot every Light Novel has of protagonist getting stuck in a secondary world and they basically are the most important person.

Also the fanservice was really annoying and one of the main female lead is mentally ill levels of stupid. It felt insulting at times to watch it but the production and design was very well done. Whenever someone uses the word otaku pandering I think of this show.

There are very few series that does this genre well. Log Horizon, Grimgar and KonoSuba actually do it well through different avenues.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Someone or something definitely hosed up in production.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Butt so nice, posted twice

Andy and Frank's dad, Fabian, is pretty powerful.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I finally got around to watching the Majestic Prince movie. Such an underrated series. I may need to go back and watch it again some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

I dropped Tanya and Maidragon halfway through because watching all of Fuuka and Masamune reminded me that I don't have to finish shows if I'm not really enjoying them.

I've made a lot of bad decisions this season.

you haven't even mentioned Kemono Friends so that's another mistake.

• Locked thread