Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
In the same vein, that Saki live-action thing seems to have started, and there's this fancy music video whatever to go with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI7a6s67jkg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Well, no anime has ever turned bad in the second half, so it should be fine.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Maybe we don't need a best of thread this year, CR's got it covered:
https://theanimeawards.com/
So many options!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Initial D lost some of its charm when I went from watching engine-roaring, eurobeats-pumping anime to reading the manga.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Trailer for Sword Oratoria, the DanMachi spinoff airing in April:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_25Ar-rS-C4

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

Youji/Tanya Senki Gee I wonder how they'll handle the great fine character-defining art of the manga :downs: what a sad waste, might be one of the worst visual changes I've seen from manga to anime. Wouldn't put it past them to do the fanservice the manga never even thought about.

You know it's not based on the manga? There's an on-going novel series with 7 volumes out. They have their own illustrator, making the original designs.

Not to say they made that justice either.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

And is the novel in WW1? Because the anime definitely is, manga's more WW2 at a tech level and happenings. Then again, WW1 interest from Battlefield 1 being a hit seller in Japan.

I haven't read it myself, so I don't really know, but the wikipedia page describes the world setting as similar to Europe in a mix of WW1 and WW2.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Random Voting Results Spoiler: Rakugo has the highest average score, as in, people who watched it and put it in their top 5 typically rated it very highly, like #1 or #2. This may show that the show is very polarizing, or very e/n: either you absolutely love it or are very meh about it. But it is a small sample size!

The 2ch version's thread had an interesting way of showing vote stats halfway through the poll, which looked like this:

KonoSuba

Re:Zero

Eupho s2

Kind of gives a visual aid to the spread of votes. What would it be like for ours?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

MrLonghair posted:

e: novel illustrations look fine. The anime is what it is. How..

Now that I've watched the first episode of Youjo Senki, I can see where you're coming from. This must be one of the ugliest character designs I can remember. Especially with the novel covers being so striking.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I don't know whether it's me or the humour or the timing or the delivery or what, but Maidragon didn't even let me break into a smile. On the other hand, KonoSuba s2 had me physically laughing out loud multiple times. Ah well.

One Room is an abomination, and short enough to almost make it worth watching 3 episodes just to qualify it as worst of 2017.

Chaos;Child started with an ep 00 that seemed to be a Chaos;Head recap, which was an inscrutable mess as I didn't watch the original series. Not sure if I should bother with ep 01 now.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Did anyone get the feeling that Konosuba's animation quality took a dip compared to season one?

Considering how most studios seem to pretty up the first episode as best they can, I'm almost suspicious they're making KonoSuba s2 ugly on purpose now, because it sparked conversations and worked out so well with s1.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ep 2 of Youjo Senki was a lot more entertaining than the first. Sky slalom was spiffy.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Novel - Manga - Anime

I feel like the girl on the bottom has spiders on her face or something with those eyelashes.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I made the mistake of reading the Fuuka manga after the first couple of episodes, but I'm all better now. Mostly.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Kuzu no Honkai is getting a jdrama next week: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/kuzunohonkai_drama/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I hope they make an anime of Grand Blue soon. :(

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Davincie posted:

superpower teens

I didn't like the first book much and gave up, but maybe it gets better. The author has another series I really enjoyed, about people stuck on an island ruled by a witch (?). Wish they'd animate that one instead.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone know who the OP and ED for Scum's Wish are by?

Wiki says OP is performed by Kuroneko and ED by Sayuri if that helps.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Thank, huh, I was expecting the OP to be by someone I knew because it sounds super familiar but I guess not.
Maybe they've done something for a rhythm game I've played.

Kuroneko's been doing vocaloid covers on Nicovideo for years and years.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Fuuka seems to be going anime original to some degree now, so who knows where it will end up.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Aww so they're not going to pull the trigger on Fuuka? I was waiting for whatever people were expecting to happen before watching all the episodes back to back.

Well, it might still happen. It's just that they've been introducing anime original content, so there's a chance they're guiding it somewhere else. Maybe it's just filler to time it right for 12 episodes or whatever.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

God, three quarters of those titles are isekai garbage.

Of course they are. It's the only thing people are willing to buy these days. Blame the audience, not the poor publishing houses, who surely wish they could go back to the golden days of tasteful high school harems instead.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Supposedly (NSFW ads?) there's an interview with the LWA director where he's complaining about there being so many things they want to do that 2 cours won't be nearly enough.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Nazgul posted:

Gotta love Kobayashi's Maid Dragon. It's charming, well animated, and it's one of the few anime where I remember character names.

KyoAni stepped up their game with this anime, and that's from someone who used to be big on em.

Right, stepped up their game from that amateur hour Euphonium, I guess?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Oh god, apparently the manga magazine Fuuka runs in managed to put an enormous anime spoiler on the cover before it had time to air. The reason it matters is because the anime seemingly takes another route.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Fangz posted:

Eccentric Family 2 is spring, isn't it?

Yeah, and Saekano s2 and more Seven Sins, I believe. There's a bunch of fun sequels.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Overlord s2 announced to be in production.

https://twitter.com/zenfta/status/840463550468382721

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

They've now announced that Eupho s2 is getting one of those awful recap movies in the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

In other news, Masamune-kun no Ribenji becomes interesting in and after the last episode of the show in a way that's reminiscent of Medaka Box Abnormal.

Sadly, there's only 10 extra chapters of the manga translated to date after the close of the season, but they're giving off a lot of signs of tying things up soon in the manga.

You don't normally see a show that's made at that point in the lifecycle of the manga, do you? Either it's finished and can take the manga's conclusion, or it's extremely early and they plan to milk it for additional seasons, right?

Masamune-kun anime sales are pretty bad, so it's unlikely to get a second season for economical reasons. Reports say the first volume didn't even reach 1000 copies. Still more than the sales of Handshakers and Chaos;Child combined, though!

• Locked thread