Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hype levels maximum Captain, set phasers to Pre-Order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

hope it is as fun as pirate's curse op

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Backers are getting it next week, ahead of release. Lucky dogs

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

fuuuu

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

i backed and also ordered the wii u disc version lol

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm playing the pre-release version and I'm close to the end. there's one big misstep that's not really a spoiler no dungeons, wtf but aside from that and the traditional transformation system it's very Pirate's Curse-y

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm replaying Pirates Curse to get ready, additionally gonna give a shot at a Pirates Mode speedrun because I never tried it out. 2 hours seems totally manageable if the only backtracking I have to do is the caskets

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I enjoyed Pirate's Curse, and I hope to enjoy the new game as well.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i played pirates curse again on steam recently its fun. i forgot shantae has 0 inertia on her jumps and stops as soon as you stop pressing a button, which i guess works for the sort of megaman style, but i find it a little annoying. please give me a little inertia. good game tho otherwise.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot I needed to be collecting all the dark magic to unlock the final boss

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

I forgot I needed to be collecting all the dark magic to unlock the final boss

what the...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It wont take long to collect them though and I can use it to route my speedrun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I started playing Pirate's Curse yesterday. It's fun! Didn't think much of Risky's Revenge though I only got through a couple of areas on that, but it was long ago so I don't really remember why that one petered out for me

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

meesa thinkin Shantae is bombad loverly -me if I was gungan

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

getting 100% items makes you really powerful in this game wow

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What'd you think of the game, thinking I'm gonna pick it up after enjoying Pirate's Curse so much

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

its really good but pirates curse is better

theres a ton of upgrades to find, i think they were planning on the kickstarter to unlock every bonus level cuz it just gets dumped on you and youre super strong asap

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good enough for me!

Universe needs more new metroid-likes. Shantae games, ESA, Axiom Verge... i need moooore

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Good enough for me!

Universe needs more new metroid-likes. Shantae games, ESA, Axiom Verge... i need moooore

it doesnt have dungeons like pirates curse has, its all like the levels before the dungeons in that game

thats why some people were mentioning megaman x, its linear levels you can find hidden stuff in

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I didn't consider the dungeons and their preceding areas mechanically distinct in any real way in Pirate's Curse anyway

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
it really is way too easy even without the items, I wish they'd made it harder to match the new level structure or just gone full linear but it's fine as is

elf help book posted:

its really good but pirates curse is better

theres a ton of upgrades to find, i think they were planning on the kickstarter to unlock every bonus level cuz it just gets dumped on you and youre super strong asap

yeah and I think the increased amount of poo poo to upgrade/collect also came from KS but they clearly didn't have plans for a lot of it so there's lots of stuff that's pointless or overlaps/is obsoleted by other stuff, plus just a lot of fetch quest-type items in general

even without upgrades, base Shantae should probably be able to do more poo poo by now, the action's a little basic and it's starting to wear thin

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i thought there was gonna be a vampire shantae transformation

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i wish they were clearer about their plans for developing and releasing the other ks content

i understand that stuff takes time and dont mind some of it coming later. but they should be clear and say so

like they promised everyone who backed an alternate blue costume, not really a big add on, and i dont think theyve mentioned when they will get it at all

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I still don't get why they insist on keeping magic terrible except for one completely busted spell.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

chumbler posted:

I still don't get why they insist on keeping magic terrible except for one completely busted spell.

i only used pikeball is that what you mean

fully upgraded fireball is worse than using a normal attack, but its cool you hover while using it i guess

the shield plus the upgrade from collecting all the keys is the most busted thing possible

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Good enough for me!

this one is more like megaman (x). it's good tho and looks really impressive. from what i played tho pirates curse is prolly a bit better

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mysterious loyall X posted:

this one is more like megaman (x). it's good tho and looks really impressive. from what i played tho pirates curse is prolly a bit better

Ya I'm noticing that now, just got through the booby mermaid boss

Megaman X owned tho and the music and art in this owns so I'm ok with it not really being a metroid like

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Took me a long fuckin time to realize a) you can grab those rings and b) you can down-drop through thin platforms in this one though, lmao

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Game is awesome though it is pretty easy and I kinda miss those pirate power-ups from the other game but hey she ain't no pirate no more. I also miss the character art style from Pirate's Curse but I think they simplified so it's easier to animate?

Some serious gems in the gallery:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The music in this is so good. I beat the first level

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

The music in this is so good. I beat the first level

the vocal song ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

the vocal song ftw

Instant classic. Also the goofy slap bass track that plays over the mine cart style sequence

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

video game voice acting: fail
video game vocal themes: win

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This game has an rear end ton of hidden upgrades

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol there's a trophy called Jump Jump Slide Slide I'm glad there's an out of nowhere Mega Man 8 reference in this game

In Training fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 24, 2016

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

lol there's a trophy called Jump Jump Slide Slide I'm there's an out of nowhere Mega Man 8 reference in this game
I'm clown man.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can sort of see why people don't like this as much as Pirate's Curse now, just getting to the race track area

But I adore the art and music and the game is still quite fun, so I'm pleased as punch

(how many more levels are there btw, i've got a looong queue this weekend)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I can sort of see why people don't like this as much as Pirate's Curse now, just getting to the race track area

But I adore the art and music and the game is still quite fun, so I'm pleased as punch

(how many more levels are there btw, i've got a looong queue this weekend)

theres one more normal level, some backtracking, and then a final level

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

elf help book posted:

i only used pikeball is that what you mean

fully upgraded fireball is worse than using a normal attack, but its cool you hover while using it i guess

the shield plus the upgrade from collecting all the keys is the most busted thing possible

There's a much harder sliding course in the last stretch of the game, and the flamethrower helps a LOT in getting through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have dance through the danger stuck in my head. Not even the song just that line over and over

• Locked thread