Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Imhotep posted:

but does it get into the lore? And also is there any way to get the Old Hunters guide without spending over 120$ on Amazon?

Lol, that guide was like $30 in march, and that's about all it's worth. gently caress speculators in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Looks like you can get it on Ebay for about $25-30 easily. Good rule of thumb is to avoid amazon like the plague for anything OOP or just not readily in production.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Looks like you can get it on Ebay for about $25-30 easily. Good rule of thumb is to avoid amazon like the plague for anything OOP or just not readily in production.

Nah, it's a lot everywhere since it had a more limited printing than the standard guide.

But the big point is: Who cares?

There's nothing in the guides (lore-wise) that you can't get from the VaatiVidya channel

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: Oh you are talking about the old hunters book I'm an idiot.

Looks like it sells for around $50-60 from reasonable sellers. Still more than it's worth probably.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 30, 2017

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, I was just wondering if the books were nice to just own, like the The Last Guardian book which imo is so good because you can just flip to a random page and start reading and there's usually something fascinating about the lore or the development, but the nature of Bloodborne's guides probably have a lot more like techy game guide stuff, judging from this PDF of the Old Hunters guide that lists the attack times of every weapon transformed and untransformed. So I probably won't get either of them, that's what I was getting at was that VaatiVidya and other sources have tons of interesting points about the lore, and no one's made any in depth The Last Guardian theory/development videos as far as I know, at least not on the level of like Nomad Colossus' SotC videos. On The Last Guardian Reddit page it's mostly just him and another guy finding areas to glitch out of bounds, which I guess is interesting if you're trying to explore every single possible area of the game, but nothing remotely interesting has been found as far as I know.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah I have the Bloodborne book and it's not like the TLG book, the focus is on enemy stats and equipment lists and area walkthroughs. There's no dev interviews and no extra lore, and the stats are incorrect now due to post-release balance patches. But the walkthroughs are still useful for getting all the items and it's chock full of art so it's nice to own if you really love the game.

Anyway, in the interest of keeping this thread on topic, here's a gameplay clip

https://twitter.com/aedison/status/902236616558878720

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm ready to boil down particular reception of this game as being related to a person's preference for cats vs dogs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dunno, ask a dog-person. :shrug:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The Monster definitely has dog-like qualities as well, so I'm pretty sure it can appeal to anyone who's not an animal hater. The issue is the gameplay which is not for everyone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I saw it as about a 50/50 split between cat and dog behavior.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I saw it as about a 50/50 split between cat and dog behavior.

That's funny, I don't see much dog in there at all. He based it on his cat after all...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, he definetly moves like a cat more than a dog and has cat-like mannerism, but he looks more like a dog than a cat imo and I've never seen a cat that loyal.

I'd probably skew more towards cat, but there's a mix there for sure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Well, he definetly moves like a cat more than a dog and has cat-like mannerism, but he looks more like a dog than a cat imo and I've never seen a cat that loyal.

I'd probably skew more towards cat, but there's a mix there for sure.

Cats are good boys and it's time you knew the truth

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I have two dogs and I've had cats when I was little and at apartments I've lived at before and I love some friends' cats, but dogs > cats almost every time. And you all know how much I think this game is GOAT.

Trico has both sorts of mannerisms, but that tweet of that cat jumping through the window on command is an occurrence even rarer than getting perfect RNG with Trico in a speedrun.

BTW BREAKING NEWS UEDA IS WORKING ON A PROTOTYPE FOR THE NEW GAME (and proposed some changes to the SotC remake): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-29-fumito-ueda-submitted-a-proposal-of-changes-for-the-shadow-of-the-colossus-ps4-remake

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 4, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Him catching barrels in mid air is all dog, though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
My cat walks with me to my car when i leave the house and i have to take great care not to run it over when i take off because it won't leave me alone

Not to mention ambushing me when i get back home, climbing up my body and slobbering all over my face

sometimes i wish i had a dog instead, less clingy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

HenryEx posted:

sometimes i wish i had a dog instead, less annoying about how clingy it is

FTFY

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imhotep posted:

BTW BREAKING NEWS UEDA IS WORKING ON A PROTOTYPE FOR THE NEW GAME (and proposed some changes to the SotC remake): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-29-fumito-ueda-submitted-a-proposal-of-changes-for-the-shadow-of-the-colossus-ps4-remake

I knew I wasn't crazy when I said the SOTC remake looks off.

That's awesome he's working on a new game.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
got a ps4 recently and finally got around to playing this and it surpassed my huge expectations. despite a few rough moments this is gotta be my favorite team ico game. they put a living breathing fantasy pet in a video game and its nothing short of magic to me.

did anyone figure out if there's some way other than playing the waiting game to get trico's tail to come down when you're pushing that big crate in the water, after you topple the urn? that was the one puzzle i couldn't figure how i did, i just noticed the tail in the corner eventually.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Flac posted:

got a ps4 recently and finally got around to playing this and it surpassed my huge expectations. despite a few rough moments this is gotta be my favorite team ico game. they put a living breathing fantasy pet in a video game and its nothing short of magic to me.

did anyone figure out if there's some way other than playing the waiting game to get trico's tail to come down when you're pushing that big crate in the water, after you topple the urn? that was the one puzzle i couldn't figure how i did, i just noticed the tail in the corner eventually.

I think that's just one of the areas where the intentionally coy design and personality of trico interacts badly with the physics model, and they probably couldn't pull off a bug-fix without screwing something bigger up in the process.

It's sort of a rough spot in an otherwise gem of a game, but the whole experience seems so alive, so wonderfully and precariously balanced on the edge of not working, coding-wise, like it's moments away from falling apart at any time but somehow doesn't. In an abstract sense it's rather organic for a piece of software.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 14, 2017

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think that's just one of the areas where the intentionally coy design and personality of trico interacts badly with the physics model, and they probably couldn't pull off a bug-fix without screwing something bigger up in the process.

It's sort of a rough spot in an otherwise gem of a game, but the whole experience seems so alive, so wonderfully and precariously balanced on the edge of not working, coding-wise, like it's moments away from falling apart at any time but somehow doesn't. In an abstract sense it's rather organic for a piece of software.

man, I wanna give this replay bad and that's gonna be a pain :( I'm still gonna do it though, this is the first time in years I wanted to play a game again right after beating it.

I know what you mean about it feeling organic, it encourages you to slow down and just observe how alive it is, like you're in a zoo exhibit. I'm a pretty patient player and I love that, but even then there's times I feel like I rushed things a little too much. One time I caught Trico about to nap the second I gave them a command to do something, and I felt like huge piece of poo poo for not letting them sleep.

Flac fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 14, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

the unofficial solution is to swim all over the room and as he moves around to look at you it falls own on it's own eventually.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 14, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Flac posted:

man, I wanna give this replay bad and that's gonna be a pain :( I'm still gonna do it though, this is the first time in years I wanted to play a game again right after beating it.

I know what you mean about it feeling organic, it encourages you to slow down and just observe how alive it is, like you're in a zoo exhibit. I'm a pretty patient player and I love that, but even then there's times I feel like I rushed things a little too much. One time I caught Trico about to nap the second I gave them a command to do something, and I felt like huge piece of poo poo for not letting them sleep.

Unlike SotC, which I also adore, TLG was such an emotionally overwhelming experience that I'd have to wait a few years to replay it, especially since it's a slower game that really requires you to dig in and give yourself.

I feel like SotC is easier to pick up and play because it's divided so cleanly into discrete chunks, and the story is a bit more background because of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flac posted:

it encourages you to slow down and just observe how alive it is, like you're in a zoo exhibit. I'm a pretty patient player and I love that, but even then there's times I feel like I rushed things a little too much. One time I caught Trico about to nap the second I gave them a command to do something, and I felt like huge piece of poo poo for not letting them sleep.

This is something I feel like a lot of people either missed or didn't appreciate about it. The world is designed unlike most games. While scripted stuff does happen, everything in the game is interacting with each other, even during cutscenes. I had a lot of really cinematic stuff happen that was totally unscripted and it was just so drat satisfying.

For example, I was at one part with a bunch of shielded guys. For the most part it was not a particularly noteworthy part of the game, but it made me genuinely frustrated. Not "mad at gamez' frustrated but more of a "get away from my friend!!" kind of frustration. I was frantically mashing buttons and the kid hopped up on one of the soldiers shoulders and just started pounding him in the head, causing him to drop his shield, and it rolled off into a pit in this incredibly realistic looking fashion, lost forever. Trico annihilated him a second later. Nothing about that was scripted. it was just this incredibly perfect interaction that was made possible with little details in the animation, mixed with the physics, and given context by the story. it was all just incredibly satisfying.

I feel like the whole game was like that to some degree. And it doesn't always work perfectly (I fell to my death a few times during a cinematic.), but when it does it pays off so much.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 15, 2017

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like the whole game was like that to some degree. And it doesn't always work perfectly (I fell to my death a few times during a cinematic.), but when it does it pays off so much.

There's this great scene shortly before the final tower, where you construct a sort of runway for Trico to truly take flight for the first time. I got on Trico's back, he took his running start... and I slipped off. Boy tumbles to the ground. Trico runs offscreen, ever forward. The camera zooms onto the boy, staring dejectedly into the distance...

...and then the camera pans around, and there's Trico at the end of the runway, sadly looking at me because it did not want to take off without me. And he slowly comes trotting back. It works on the next go.

I couldn't believe that scene wasn't even scripted that way, it just worked out perfectly, and I'll adore this game forever for actually getting physics into their cinematic cutscenes in such a great way. I'll take the occasional death during cutscene for moments like that. Awesome.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

There's this great scene shortly before the final tower, where you construct a sort of runway for Trico to truly take flight for the first time. I got on Trico's back, he took his running start... and I slipped off. Boy tumbles to the ground. Trico runs offscreen, ever forward. The camera zooms onto the boy, staring dejectedly into the distance...

...and then the camera pans around, and there's Trico at the end of the runway, sadly looking at me because it did not want to take off without me. And he slowly comes trotting back. It works on the next go.

I couldn't believe that scene wasn't even scripted that way, it just worked out perfectly, and I'll adore this game forever for actually getting physics into their cinematic cutscenes in such a great way. I'll take the occasional death during cutscene for moments like that. Awesome.

I wound up falling to my death during that scene somehow, which really took some of the wonder away

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Those moments were some of the most powerful for me...and also the most hilarious.

On my second playthrough there were two times where Trico caught the boy in midair and then flung him over his shoulder to land on his back...only for Trico to somehow manage to fling the boy in the wrong direction and in to the ravine. I know he can also miss with his attempts to catch you from falls too. To me it makes him feel less of an infallible scripted creature, he can make mistakes and all, although I can see how it might remove the wonder.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
That water puzzle isn't that hard, just literally swim the opposite edge and call Trico the whole time, just mash R1, and bring the box over to that spot where his tail falls, and then swim back mashing R1 the whole time. Eventually when you see the floorboards where his tail comes through break, then try to finagle Trico into position to have his tail drop through. I just did it and it only took a few minutes, although I've beat this game about 10 times cause I'm currently playing the game now, it's paused at the part where Trico nearly drowns you as I type this (btw thanks guys, I beat every optional boss in Bloodborne + The Old Hunters and I'm pretty far on NG+. I also started Dark Souls 3 and I.. needed a relaxing game to come back to and I haven't played through this game in months, I got hosed by getting way too used to the regain system and not using shields in Bloodborne).

But yeah this game has a bunch of incredibly cinematic moments and it is a wonder it works out at all without being that buggy, just the fact that Trico walks over all sorts of weirdly shaped terrain and I've only noticed his head clip into the wall fairly far like one time, but I've played this game a lot an haven't noticed any weird clipping issues, it's really an incredible technical feat.

Earlier I mentioned how during the bridge collapse scene where you run through the tunnel as it's collapsing and Trico comes at just the right time as the bridge flings you up and grabs you and brings you to safety.

Then he tried to be cute by picking me up and flinging me on his back, but flung me off into the abyss.

Re: The SotC remake trailer: I think the trailer did look *off* in a way, just because you can see every detail and I think the PS2 version of Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best games on the console to actually take the 'look' of those PS2 graphics and make them something special where a lot of games don't. Like Nintendo 64 games did this well which is using the limitations of the hardware to make a game look aesthetically unique and interesting which we kind of lost by the 360/ps3 era, or even the Gamecube started making everything look somewhat realistic enough to where devs didn't have to compromise, struggling to think of others at the moment, but Ico succeeded at this in a way too, I think Ueda said they didn't use the most 'advanced' shaders and tech at the time so it doesn't look dated like a lot of other games do. But also, that was the first trailer they released, I think Bluepoint will nail it, especially since they seem to have a lot of people overlooking the project to make sure it comes out perfect.

Also that article makes it sound as if Bluepoint would disregard Ueda's suggestions, the quote is just Ueda being very polite. Can you imagine working on this remake and getting notes from Ueda and being like LOL piss off mate, we're doing whatever we want!

imhotep fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 23, 2017

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
There's definitely something off about the way even the TGS trailer for ReSotC looks. IGN did a side-by-side with the original that revealed the camera work, while clearly emulating the original almost 1:1, as being subtly worse. I think it's the framing.

Re: Ueda's design notes, I doubt it's up to Bluepoint whether to implement any improvements or not. It's not impossible, and in fact probably likely, that the mandate from Sony is "better graphics, new controls, and do not touch anything else."

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Holy poo poo I didn't even know there was a new trailer, thanks for the heads up. I think everything looks great in this one, the two things that kind threw me off in the first trailer were Wander's character model looks a bit weird to me, like too clean or something and the underside of the second colossi looked.. weird, like whatever texture they used on the ps3 version didn't translate well into current gen graphics. Otherwise I think everything looks beatiful, including every colossi seen in the new trailer, it's like The Last Guardian graphics but for SotC, it looks amazing imo. And SotC is like probably next to TLG in my all time favorites games list, so I was pretty apprehensive when I saw the first trailer, but now that I've seen more I think it looks great.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
february 18th release date for SotC remake, im personally really excited especially at 40$. I'm curious what the new controls are like (and being able to switch to old controls will be fun in itself), but the gameplay I've seen so far of the first, third and fifth colossus looks incredible. I think the visuals have slowly changed to reflect the original more while still being incredibly detailed, at least in all the footages they released at Paris Games Week, Wander especially looks better and really similar to the original in gameplay videos than he does in the first trailer. The one thing I still agree with re: weird visuals is the stuff about the second colossi looking weird that I mentioned in my previous post.

The only thing I think I've heard about the new controls is that X is going to be jump (and someone in a GameStop video said the person at Paris Games Week attending the booth said they did that because in TLG X was jump, which it isn't, it's triangle, and I like triangle being jump in these games..), but I hope that doesn't mean that changing it to the more modern style of gameplay doesn't include button remapping, I hope it's a separate thing, but actually, I think I heard that you can remap buttons on the PS4 like for everything even if it's not an in game option?

Anyways, it looks incredible, https://youtu.be/Xn0BmMu_gRw here's a couple of French dudes talking over someone playing the game not so well, but doing the first and fifth colossus in 20 minutes. I like the smart HUD, where it only shows the stamina bar when needed and doesn't show the health bar if you're at full health. Although I dislike the changes to the colossus' health bars and the changes to the colors of the HUD, just because it seems unnecessary when they're going so far as to keep everything else the same.. also I hope the red surrounding the little sigil on the back of the first colossus' leg is an optional thing, because if that's a feature on all of them then the game will be even easier than it already is for new players. I think the glowing blue mark plus Dormin's hints are more than enough as far as clues go.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If this game doesn’t go on sale for Black Friday I’ll be a sad panda

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You know it's price dropped already right?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I can hold out for lower than $40 for a story based game I’ll probably play once every few years. If they already dropped in $20 then it’ll definitely go on a deeper sale for the holidays. Cheers!

Without spoilers, please & thank you, does this game have anything similar to SotC post-game time trials and magic item unlocks? I loved that stuff!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I can hold out for lower than $40 for a story based game I’ll probably play once every few years. If they already dropped in $20 then it’ll definitely go on a deeper sale for the holidays. Cheers!

Without spoilers, please & thank you, does this game have anything similar to SotC post-game time trials and magic item unlocks? I loved that stuff!

I don't think there are trials, but there are a few items on NG+ if I'm remembering right. I can look at my trophies tonight.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Well Playstation is going to have its black Friday sale this Friday. It's not a bad idea to wait and see if this game goes on discount.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I would imagine it would, it was on sale on the PS Store for 23.99 a few months back, but pay 40$ for this wonderful game, Fumito Ueda and the team deserves it.

But the only thing after playing is unlocking costumes by feeding Trico a specific amount of barrels, to get everything you pretty much have to play through the game at least 3 times I think, unless you found every barrel on your first two playthroughs. So no, not as cool a SotC, but Trico gets a cool collar that changes and gets bigger every time you start a new game by selecting continue after beating the game.

I can't wait to finally platinum SotC when the remake comes out, I could probably platinum the PS2 version, but the PS3 version's physics were poo poo, you had to basically cheese certain bosses and find a plant that wouldn't allow the boss to shake you around to actually have a chance at some of the hard time attacks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

If this game doesn’t go on sale for Black Friday I’ll be a sad panda

It’s $20 at Best Buy ($16 with GCU) starting today for the next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I only buy digital or id be all over that

• Locked thread