Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I like this game a lot and it makes me wish for ports of Ico and SotC for PS4. Even if they did nothing for the framerate in those games and just kept them at PS2 graphics I just wanna play them without having to bust out a different console.

PSNow doesn't count.

Don't the PS3 versions already run at 1080/60?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SotC at least is only consistently 30fps at 720p.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
My mistake! In this case I'm all for a Team Ico Remaster Remaster.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8CXuRAcelg

Hehehehehehe :3:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

conceptually I think this game looks adorable but I literally have 0 interest in playing it and I'd imagine most people feel the same way as me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started/finished in one big sitting, this game is loving great except for the camera/controls which are very veeeeery dated but you knew that already. Trico is absolutely incredible/adorable and I barely ever had any issues with commanding him. Ending wasn't quite as good as I was expecting but was still killer/emotional and I loved the dark AF reveal that you've been feeding Trico kidnapped children the whole time

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So, I managed to get the five hours or less completion achievement pretty easily and have a good hold on how to command Trico quickly. Since difficulty controlling him tends to be one of the biggest complaints, here's some tips:

- Trico gets better at understanding you during the course of the game but, at the beginning, he really doesn't get most of your commands at all. Going to a position and calling him to you is about all he's going to get and anything else will confuse him. You know he'll start listening to more complex commands when he gets stuck in the room where the narrator says something like "The Beast could see no way forward."

- It's still best to keep his commands simple after that point, as strings of commands will confuse him. Generally, you only need to have him looking in the right direction by using the running in place and pointing command. He's way more quick about following this if you do it from his head.

- He gives a squawk when he's looking at an area of interest. So, if his head is pointing at the object/direction you want when he does this, you have his attention on the right thing. This generally means he's going to do the appropriate action in a moment, but sometimes you'll need to follow it up with a jump or push command. Don't spam commands, once or twice normally gets the quickest reaction.

- He has a bunch of unique sounds that indicate if has his attention on something, is confused, or is frustrated. Paying attention to those will let you know if you're communicating well, if you're giving too many commands and confusing him, if you have him looking at the wrong thing, or if you are trying to get him to interact with something that probably he can't.

- There are some situations where he has some scripted behavior that you just have to watch him do. For example, about a third of the way through when he finds you in the cage where the other Trico was he will always nuzzle your cage, then sniff the ground where the Trico had been sleeping. Once he's finished doing that you can issue commands, but there's no way you can interrupt him. Just be patient when it looks like he's interacting with the environment in a unique way like that.

- Lastly, here's what the exact R1 commands mean: Plus nothing is just 'come to me.' Plus the left stick means 'go that way,' best used from his head. Plus Triangle is 'jump.' Plus Square is 'push it,' I think there are three times where you actually need that one. Plus X means 'sit down,' it's also rarely needed and is most likely to confuse him when used with other commands (obviously). Plus circle is a 'come look at this,' I normally have better results from just R1 alone or R1 + Left Stick from his head, but it's good when you want him to come to you from a long distance.

Hopefully, that helps people. Using the commands that way got me through all the rooms really quickly, granted I knew exactly which objects and directions to point Trico at.

I'd also like to point out that the geography of the valley is actually really easy to follow and identify if you make note of landmarks and building architecture, then look around whenever there's a good vantage point. The geography is all accurate, doesn't seem to ever cheat on space, and you visit most of the visible structures. The best spot to look out from is the clearing right before Trico goes into the second mind control chamber, eats you again, and then spends a long time trying to revive you. From there you can see every outdoor area and building you have visited/will visit during the game, except for the arena building (which is around the cliff corner, you can see the covered walkway going in its direction though) and the areas inside the cliff itself.

Being able to map out the windy geography of Lordran was one of my favorite things in a game, so I appreciated that it was possible here too.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

At this point I hope they patch in an option to turn off command prompts, and add a way to load checkpoints if you want to show someone a particular part of the game. If I'm being hopeful, a sandbox type mode where you can explore and even fly with Trico around the nest.

On my second time around I noticed that another Trico appears before the one that your character acknowledges, you just have to point the camera really high in this area to see it. I just thought my Trico was roaring at the tower like he does in the early game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gRO3u0JfSI

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TheMostFrench posted:

At this point I hope they patch in an option to turn off command prompts, and add a way to load checkpoints if you want to show someone a particular part of the game. If I'm being hopeful, a sandbox type mode where you can explore and even fly with Trico around the nest.

On my second time around I noticed that another Trico appears before the one that your character acknowledges, you just have to point the camera really high in this area to see it. I just thought my Trico was roaring at the tower like he does in the early game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gRO3u0JfSI

Yeah, it's hanging out at the top of the building that you will later crash through, and the room it sleeps in is a bit above that roof. That's also the direction Trico barks at when the kid does acknowledge it. Seems to hang out in that one area, makes sense since where it sleeps is probably where it nests.

I don't think a mode for flying around the nest would be possible, as it seems that the engine loads completely different areas along the game paths with low-res representations of other areas in the distance. Similar to how the Dark Souls games handle it. Flying out to those low res models would just give you closer views of those same low res models. So not like an open world engine that would stream in higher quality assets as you approach.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 10, 2016

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Finished it, thoroughly loved it, but I can also see why it's getting mixed reviews.

That entire last act though... :qq:

are there any notable changes/secrets in subsequent playthroughs/new game+ features? Is there some way to interact with all those blue-frame doors found throughout the game? or are those just enemy spawn closets that I didn't really pay enough attention to.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Finished it, thoroughly loved it, but I can also see why it's getting mixed reviews.

are there any notable changes/secrets in subsequent playthroughs/new game+ features? Is there some way to interact with all those blue-frame doors found throughout the game? or are those just enemy spawn closets that I didn't really pay enough attention to.

Apparently you get taken through those blue doors to a game over if an enemy holds onto you long enough. I never had that happen so I was wondering about them myself. I looked it up after I finished the game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Queering Wheel posted:

Apparently you get taken through those blue doors to a game over if an enemy holds onto you long enough. I never had that happen so I was wondering about them myself. I looked it up after I finished the game.

Those doors are teleports directly to the master. You get a brief glimpse as you're being taken into them.

As for ng+ stuff there are secrets areas hiding in plain site throughout the game that will be more obvious once you know all the mechanics after a first playthrough. Most just have extra barrels, but some give some pretty views. Also, there are equipable items in the option menu that you can unlock. One is a "medal of bravery" that Trico wears around his neck that is unlocked by finishing the game. There are also several outfits for the boy unlocked by finding barrels, including one that is a nod to Ico. The last unlockable is a "fine feather painter" which allows you to paint Trico. Give him warpaint or a clown face or whatever.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
If I loved ICO but absolutely hated Shadow of the Colossus, will I like this?

This was my SotC experience:
"Ugh. Egh. Agh" *flails around*
"GRAB THAT loving LEDGE!"
"GRAB THAT loving LEDGE, YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE HAND ON IT GET THE OTHER HAND UP THERE!"
"JESUS loving CHRIST GRAAAAAAAAAAAAB IT!"
until the stamina runs out and I fall down.

Also, how's the framerate really on the standard PS4?

Orv
May 4, 2011

GhostDog posted:

Yes.

Bad.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I just finished it.

To sum it up - it's sometimes frustrating, often stressful, and I'm not sure I can even call it "fun" but god drat if it wasn't beautiful and moving. I loved every minute of it. Very, very happy that we finally got to play it. There really is nobody doing anything like this except Ueda.

Random observations -

I agree that it seems like there are multiple layers of ancient civilizations in the valley. The blue ice / mirror / master stuff seems way older than the rest of the ruins, but also like it has held up against the test of time better. Not sure if it should be considered "magic" or "technology" but that also probably doesn't matter.

The other type of ruins (the common ruins) is also very old it would seem - there are parts of it that almost seem to coming out of the rock itself? I'm not sure if the implication is really supposed to be that we're dealing with geologic time scales, of if that's just "the style" but it's interesting.

There are some Trico statues around, half buried, notably in the room you fall back to after the fight with the other Trico. They don't seem to have masks, from what I remember - that makes me wonder whether the master enslaving the Tricos is a later perversion of whatever power is contained in the valley.

Finally, I'm very, very glad that my bud lived in the end. He got so hurt, so many times, that I was seriously fearing for his death at every turn.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

GhostDog posted:

This was my SotC experience:
"GRAB THAT loving LEDGE!"
"GRAB THAT loving LEDGE, YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE HAND ON IT GET THE OTHER HAND UP THERE!"
"JESUS loving CHRIST GRAAAAAAAAAAAAB IT!"
until the stamina runs out and I fall down.

This is a lot more Ico than SotC. It basically straight up is Ico, down to camera and control system, just with a different companion. Instead of defending Yorda and helping her up ledges, Trico is defending and carrying you. You still climb a beast but there are no edges to grab, you just kind of magnetically crawl over his entire body. No holding a grab button, no stamina meter.

Framerate is about the same as it was in Ico on PS2 hardware. Indoors tend to run okay, but outdoors can be in mid 20s. I found a few spots that are kind of between zones where intentionally pointing my camera at the other area would cause drops to the teens. During some cinematic scenes and transitions between areas (where you are not in control) it goes really low, like brief drops to single digits.

I never felt like it interfered with my ability to play. While this performance would be unplayable in an action game, it's not a practical problem here. But, if low framerates give you headaches or you just need a constant 30fps, you shouldn't play this.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I can live with that framerate for the sake of the experience, but I think I'll wait a few weeks to see if maybe they can patch the worst of it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

superh posted:

I just finished it.

To sum it up - it's sometimes frustrating, often stressful, and I'm not sure I can even call it "fun" but god drat if it wasn't beautiful and moving. I loved every minute of it. Very, very happy that we finally got to play it. There really is nobody doing anything like this except Ueda.

Random observations -

I agree that it seems like there are multiple layers of ancient civilizations in the valley. The blue ice / mirror / master stuff seems way older than the rest of the ruins, but also like it has held up against the test of time better. Not sure if it should be considered "magic" or "technology" but that also probably doesn't matter.

The other type of ruins (the common ruins) is also very old it would seem - there are parts of it that almost seem to coming out of the rock itself? I'm not sure if the implication is really supposed to be that we're dealing with geologic time scales, of if that's just "the style" but it's interesting.

There are some Trico statues around, half buried, notably in the room you fall back to after the fight with the other Trico. They don't seem to have masks, from what I remember - that makes me wonder whether the master enslaving the Tricos is a later perversion of whatever power is contained in the valley.

Finally, I'm very, very glad that my bud lived in the end. He got so hurt, so many times, that I was seriously fearing for his death at every turn.

I got the impression that the city was still under construction. Before it could be finished, some sort of sudden cataclysm happened that wiped out the civilization building it. It explains why there is scaffolding everywhere.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I got the impression that the city was still under construction. Before it could be finished, some sort of sudden cataclysm happened that wiped out the civilization building it. It explains why there is scaffolding everywhere.

I could see that!

I feel bad posting walls of spoiler text but here's some more architecture musings -

I thought some of it might have been even later ages continuing to build on top of what was already there - with the metal and gears and real rough scaffolding being more modern. But, really, a lot of that was built into the stonework so I don't know if that interpretation holds up.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

superh posted:

I just finished it.

Random observations -

Regarding the city: Yeah, there are three distinctive styles. There's the alien looking master's tower, the sort of Hindu-influenced structures that make up most of the city, and a more simple Western set of walkways and platforms winding between them. The latter looks newer, simpler and much more practical. Simple rough wooden surfaces on the top and no ornate details or forms in the supports. There are even places where those simple roman-arched walkways are built on top of older, more ornate, Hindu-influenced arched paths. So they must be much more recent.

The reservoir you swim through is within the mountain and looks like it was always partly natural. I'd say the mountain was always there and that provided the water for the city.

The two tallest non-master towers seem to have been part of a drawbridge system that once led to the master's tower, but is either incomplete or fell partially to ruin. The newer, sloppier walkway that Ico destroys and then flies away from would be directly in its path.

My guess is that the Hindu-styled city was the original city, the Master's tower was built by them later and then, after some cataclysm, the simpler pathways were built so the tower could remain functional. Possibly by the armor "slaves" the master creates and controls?

Also for what it's worth, the fattest of the big towers seems to have been used to transferring mining carts from the lowest level of the valley to the highest. There's a bunch of carts in its basement, rail and lift systems along all its levels, and there are minecarts on rails level with its upper areas within the mountain, though nothing connects them anymore. I thought it was two separate buildings the first time I played because of how you enter and exit it at different points in the game, but it's one fat building with two atriums. You can briefly see that when you climb to the top of one atrium after Trico recovers from his fight with the other Trico.

When I have time to play again it will be interesting to see how many other structures have identifiable purposes and how much of the pre-decay pathways and city design can be puzzled out. I have a good understanding of the city geography now, so it should be easier. Assuming such a design logic does exist.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Did a straight run though and had a great time. In particular I loved many of the encounters with the antagonists.

Running into the other Trico was the best, especially the first two times. Climbing up that tower bit by bit, then getting to the top and realizing the whole thing is going to collapse. Trico grabs onto a mountain ledge...and then there it is with it's red eyes and mask. A solid view right before it attacks and sends you down about a hundred stories.

My favorite part of the games was definitely when you run into it again in its lair. Felt just like SOtC, only this time I didn't have any freaking weapons!

Here's hoping the next game doesn't take 10 years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just finished it, loved it all to bits :allears:.

I was surprised by something lategame where you get the Shield back. I was expecting the usual lightning, and suddenly Trico just fucks that armor up with a goddamn energy bolt :stare:.

My only complaint with the game is the Shield should've just been left at the end of the game to be found, rather than found early on and taken away. You just wind up wondering when you're getting it back again for the run of the game.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

GhostDog posted:

I can live with that framerate for the sake of the experience, but I think I'll wait a few weeks to see if maybe they can patch the worst of it.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that. Judging by their track record, we'll have to wait for the PS5 port.

I don't consider myself an FPS snob and I've been able to enjoy games other people have complained endlessly about, most recent is probably Mafia 3 on PC, but this borderlines unplayable for me at times.
There's spots where it dips to 10 or maybe even lower (regular PS4) and coupled with the clumsy controls and terrible camera, it really drags down the experience.

These guys can come up with some good ideas, stories and worlds, but goddamn when it comes to the technical side, they're incredibly incompetent. Playability wise, this is the worst 3D game I've played in recent memory.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just finished it. From what I heard, I was expecting a lot worse AI on trico than what I experienced. He mostly did what I told him. Then was only one time when he hosed up and that was because I hadn't activated something yet. The camera and controls were horrible though and feeding trico is frustrating. Overall I liked it because trico felt very life-like.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is this going to make me cry, because I can't handle that poo poo.

Pixar movies drive me insane because they pull that emotional bullshit instead of just making a movie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Philthy posted:

Is this going to make me cry, because I can't handle that poo poo.

Pixar movies drive me insane because they pull that emotional bullshit instead of just making a movie.

It's Team Ico. You know what you're in for.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Did I miss it or did we never see why Trico is so afraid of the stained glass eyes and eye shields?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

Did I miss it or did we never see why Trico is so afraid of the stained glass eyes and eye shields?

It's a representation of the master.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I beat this game today and it blew my loving balls off. Definitely dumbass camera issues, but the trillion brilliant moments in the game outshine those completely. I cannot believe people are sleeping on this game. It was my favorite in a LONG time.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Think I'm about 2 thirds through, up there with bloodborne for me as game of the generation. Has its flaws, but for some reason they're not detracting from the experience for me.

Also experienced the worst case of vertigo I've ever had in a video game, the developers sure can create a good depiction of height. Jesus.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I've taken more screenshots in this game than any other ps4 game combined.

For serious I hope the low amount of chat is just people waiting to finish their playthrough before chatting. I'm the same way. I just finished beating it today so now I'm chatting.

I really love that it feels like I'm really exploring this ancient city.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Finished it up last night, fairly curious what connections can be made with the previous games. I saw the black lizards from SotC around, but none with white tails. A lot of shared aesthetics of course, but I don't think The Nest is a location from the previous games or anything.

Anyway here's the two times the game glitched out the most for me (that I remembered to record anyway):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOyDRHVPLPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sctNOmGwr8c

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I'm sorry but I just don't get all the praise. It was fine but I didn't really see anything it did that wasn't just a rehash of ideas from Ico and and to a lesser extent SOTC. Can anyone better articulate what this game brought to the table? Have I just become soulless in my old age?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

AllisonByProxy posted:

I'm sorry but I just don't get all the praise. It was fine but I didn't really see anything it did that wasn't just a rehash of ideas from Ico and and to a lesser extent SOTC. Can anyone better articulate what this game brought to the table? Have I just become soulless in my old age?

I feel that it did Ico (which I already enjoyed) better. I am also biased because I had been looking forward to it, heard it was cancelled, and then heard about it again a week before it came out. There's a degree of personal closure from all the years I thought 'man it would have been cool to see them finish The Last Guardian'.

Its more like an interactive story than a game, but the main thing it brings to the table is Trico - a fairly realistic companion with its own behaviour and personality.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 12, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am more excited to play this game than I am FFXV, but in both cases they've taken so long to come out that I'm gonna wait and see what the final judgments are for the games.

A long development process does not a good game make, regardless of track record.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm glad they had enough faith in it to make a bigass collector's edition. The statue is gorgeous and the artbook is pretty nice too. If rather slim.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I am more excited to play this game than I am FFXV, but in both cases they've taken so long to come out that I'm gonna wait and see what the final judgments are for the games.

A long development process does not a good game make, regardless of track record.

It's really good. If you liked Ico and SotC you'll very likely enjoy this. I think it was worth the wait, that's just me though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ico done better is probably the best way to describe its merits. The puzzle design and variety is superior, the pacing is great, the AI partner has more depth and character, and in my opinion, the story is a lot more engrossing. I really didn't expect to be as attached to Trico as I was by the end. He really went from a pain in the rear end to a character I was super invested in. Also, it's a very niche appeal, but I'm having fun mapping out the super vertical geography of The Nest and picking apart the world design in a way similar to the first Dark Souls.

My only complaints are the framerate and camera. They are both super rough, and the best way I can spin them is to say they make the game feel like it's some undiscovered gem from a decade ago, where everything it did right is still so far ahead of the competition that it's worth putting up with the outdated presentation.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Can someone gently point me in the right direction?

I'm in a circular room with the broken head of a Trico statue on the floor. There's a mine cart jammed in a doorway. Through the door way is a ledge with a switch on it. It looks like I need to unjam the mine cart so I can use it as a platform the reach the switch. But I can't see any way to open the door that is jamming the cart.

I found a barrel below the rails for the cart and fed it to Trico.

In the circular room there is a chain that I can climb but it just leads to a passage that is blocked by rubble. It looks like I could clear it if I still had the lighting mirror thing. What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Leyburn posted:

Can someone gently point me in the right direction?

I'm in a circular room with the broken head of a Trico statue on the floor. There's a mine cart jammed in a doorway. Through the door way is a ledge with a switch on it. It looks like I need to unjam the mine cart so I can use it as a platform the reach the switch. But I can't see any way to open the door that is jamming the cart.

I found a barrel below the rails for the cart and fed it to Trico.

In the circular room there is a chain that I can climb but it just leads to a passage that is blocked by rubble. It looks like I could clear it if I still had the lighting mirror thing. What am I missing?

Have you tried pulling the other end of the mine cart, not pushing the end where Trico is?

• Locked thread