Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

when Seinfeld was talking about a show about nothing, he was talking about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yates posted:

when Seinfeld was talking about a show about nothing, he was talking about this

Its about something: some guys pissing away money, lots of money.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Rick is a retired postal worker. Marty is an engineer that started and then sold an energy company for $60 million. Oh and Marty owns MARI VINEYARDS, in Michigan of all places, and wears the shirt in episode this season. Both are crazy.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 21, 2016

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I am glad to hear this show is still going since Ghost Mine, which was the exact same kind of concentrated stupid, was canceled.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Anyone else remember a pilot episode to a treasure hunting show that aired earlier this year? It mighg have been on history or Discovery, there was a sunken ship with a legit cargo manifest with a bunch of gold? on it. But it was miles underwater and also the guy totally murdered/manslaughtered his partner after discovering and only just recently got out.

What happened with that? I take it it never got picked up.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

TheDon01 posted:

Anyone else remember a pilot episode to a treasure hunting show that aired earlier this year? It mighg have been on history or Discovery, there was a sunken ship with a legit cargo manifest with a bunch of gold? on it. But it was miles underwater and also the guy totally murdered/manslaughtered his partner after discovering and only just recently got out.

You are not crazy, well maybe you are but I saw that also.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

TheDon01 posted:

I saw it too. This is what google got me:

https://vineyardgazette.com/news/2016/03/17/diving-deep-rms-republics-treasure-riveting-tale

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Thats it!

Oh wow, it did get picked up. 10 episodes, and from the comments in that article it sounds like it's just like Oak. Who lotta talk, not so much treasure.

At least this treasure actually exists. Wonder if they'll ever be able to recover it. Wikipedia says they got more dives planned in 2017 and a season 2.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

TheDon01 posted:

Thats it!

Oh wow, it did get picked up. 10 episodes, and from the comments in that article it sounds like it's just like Oak. Who lotta talk, not so much treasure.

At least this treasure actually exists. Wonder if they'll ever be able to recover it. Wikipedia says they got more dives planned in 2017 and a season 2.

I hope the eye patch dude doesn't murder anyone else. I think I only saw the pilot episode.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

In this latest episode as soon as hey pulled out the long log out of that big hole, I was like uhhh there's no way that thing is old. It had perfect 90 degree corners on it. Not sure the technology existed in the 1600s to make perfectly square timbers.

Edit: MARI VINEYARDS

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Why don't they just take a bulldozer and Digg out the main place? Outside of TV show reasons that would make the most sense to me

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tiny Lowtax posted:

In this latest episode as soon as hey pulled out the long log out of that big hole, I was like uhhh there's no way that thing is old. It had perfect 90 degree corners on it. Not sure the technology existed in the 1600s to make perfectly square timbers.

Edit: MARI VINEYARDS

They've been able to make squared timber for like 8000 years. It's just that it got a lot easier in the last 200 years after the invention of the circular saw. The only place you'd really see it commonly before the industrial revolution was in ship building.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Yeah you can make nearly perfectly square timber with a chalk/char line, plumb bob, hewing axe and an adze. It just takes like 100 hours.

And gang saws, whip saws and pit saws have been around for many hundreds of years too.

joebuddah posted:

Why don't they just take a bulldozer and Digg out the main place? Outside of TV show reasons that would make the most sense to me

They're prettymuch on the beach, groundwater is too much of an issue to just dig a big hole. They're doing the right thing with a big hollow pile for the depths they're looking at. They just need to quit farting around and get it sunk.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 23, 2016

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

TheDon01 posted:

They're prettymuch on the beach, groundwater is too much of an issue to just dig a big hole. They're doing the right thing with a big hollow pile for the depths they're looking at. They just need to quit farting around and get it sunk.

Don't you mean the water is clearly being piped in from the ocean as a trap? :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TheDon01 posted:

I watched it. It was pretty lame compared to Oak Island. Lots of manufactured drama, things dragging out. They spent the entire season telling the guy's life story in flashback with him fighting with his ex wife, bugging her phone, and shooting her new boyfriend. :stare:

FWIW, Oak Island is a lot better.

TheDon01 posted:

Yeah you can make nearly perfectly square timber with a chalk/char line, plumb bob, hewing axe and an adze. It just takes like 100 hours.

And gang saws, whip saws and pit saws have been around for many hundreds of years too.

The circular saw marks pretty much wrecked any chance it was old. Even Dan Blankenship took a 2 second look and said "yep, circular saw, this is like 100 years old tops."

If there is any chance there are actually flood tunnels, they really need to try and shut them down or otherwise they're never gonna get anywhere. Maybe next week when they DRAIN THE SWAMP :smugdon: they'll actually start on that.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Next week they will setup all the equipment to drain the swamp. They won't start draining until the following week.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Next week they will setup all the equipment to drain the swamp. They won't start draining until the following week.

No, they'll set it up, start draining, find SOMETHING HUGE, then decide to come back to it later. Then they'll have 2 other guys go somewhere else and look for something else.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is this on the same channel as Ancient Aliens? I just saw a random AA episode talking about the money pit and apparently the first people to find it were drawn to it because of UFO lights or something. Also the guy with the big hair seemed to agree that whats down there is the arc of the covenant and/or an alien nuclear reactor because some of the wood is from the future and only alien power can do that.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

It's on History. Not sure what channel AA is on. But they do frequently mention it could be the Arc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is this on the same channel as Ancient Aliens? I just saw a random AA episode talking about the money pit and apparently the first people to find it were drawn to it because of UFO lights or something. Also the guy with the big hair seemed to agree that whats down there is the arc of the covenant and/or an alien nuclear reactor because some of the wood is from the future and only alien power can do that.

IIRC what really happened was that someone just happened to be on the island and saw a depression in the ground and decided that there must be treasure buried there.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiny Lowtax posted:

It's on History. Not sure what channel AA is on. But they do frequently mention it could be the Arc

To be fair, it's The Narrator and producers who constantly throw poo poo out like "It could be the Ark of the Covenant! Or lost Templar treasure! Or the lost works of Shakespeare!" Usually Rick and Marty, if they hear that poo poo, just nod bemusedly. I'm pretty sure they think they are just digging up pirate gold.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Tonight we get to find mud in the bottom of a swamp, pirate mud!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Lol if you think the swamp will be drained by the end of this episode.

Edit: and I'm already eating my words. Surprising.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 28, 2016

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Charles Barkhouse seems like such a knob

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
"An artifact!?? In the Oak Island swamp!!!???"

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I would work for them if i could drink with them at that tiny ba every night for free

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Oh boy a bronze bearing ring and a railroad spike.

These guys are in the money now. Good thing they drained the swamp :sad:

LOL @ "lets find a spike expert"

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I can't wait for their new dig site to be a huge empty cavern.

Could it be? A spike used to hold together planking on a ship? Did pirates really sink a ship in the mysterious triangle shaped swamp?

Uhhh no. Pretty sure if they sunk a whole drat ship you would have found more than a single spike and one board.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So someone tossed a spike into the swamp and now it is proof a Spanish Galleon is somehow sunk down in the mud and full of Shakespeare's unpublished plays and the cure for cancer. If they have spent 2 million digging these holes then there really is no treasure that they can recover to make back even half what they have spent. Plus there is no treasure. Who buries treasure 140 feet deep? I hope the season ends with then sacrificing Barkhouse by throwing him into the cavern. That is legal in Canada right?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Elephanthead posted:

Who buries treasure 140 feet deep?

Uh... the the magical and mystical Knights Templar? It's like you haven't even been buying into all their alternative history and fantasy world or something.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

This has been my wife and I's go to background noise show for a few weeks now. I bet they find something this week.

But my favorite treasure hunting show was the really fat guy with his possibly criminal redneck friends who would search for civil war bullets or coins and poo poo in peoples yards. He would yell BOOM BABY if he found like a paperclip and treated it like he just struck oil.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My wife already hates that I watch this show but she's getting more irritated now that I'm saying mundane things like the narrator- "Could it BE? The DOG needs to be TAKEN OUT? FOR A WALK?!", "Could it BE? We are having SPAGHETTI? FOR DINNER?!?!"

Kids hate it too

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

pahuyuth posted:

My wife already hates that I watch this show but she's getting more irritated now that I'm saying mundane things like the narrator- "Could it BE? The DOG needs to be TAKEN OUT? FOR A WALK?!", "Could it BE? We are having SPAGHETTI? FOR DINNER?!?!"

Kids hate it too

That's awesome. You should take it a step further and start digging up the back yard.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

Boinks posted:

But my favorite treasure hunting show was the really fat guy with his possibly criminal redneck friends who would search for civil war bullets or coins and poo poo in peoples yards. He would yell BOOM BABY if he found like a paperclip and treated it like he just struck oil.

Not Diggers? They would find "Juice in the Hole" https://vimeo.com/85774797

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Boinks posted:

That's awesome. You should take it a step further and start digging up the back yard.

Well, I DO have a metal detector.....

but the only time I've used it was to find my car keys in the back yard

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

SpecialF posted:

Not Diggers? They would find "Juice in the Hole" https://vimeo.com/85774797

No, it was this guy, and I'm laughing just watching a few seconds of it again haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJh1Di-rR3M

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU3ktdhqbys

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheDon01 posted:

Oh boy a bronze bearing ring and a railroad spike.

These guys are in the money now. Good thing they drained the swamp :sad:

LOL @ "lets find a spike expert"

Not a spike expert, but hand forged nails are not nearly that regularly shaped.

Plus they bear loads around the whole circumference of the nail, instead of just on one side. Like the thing they found. Which was a loving railroad spike. And it looks exactly like the railroad spike I have on my book case that I can see right now with my eyes.

Although, what the hell is a railroad spike is doing there I have no idea. Seems like a pretty random object to find there.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
"A railroad? On Oak Island!? Could it be... the Knights Templar had a railroad station on Oak Island!?? Rick and Marty Lagina now think there could be an entire train buried in the swamp, but what's on that train!?"

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I read about this place when I was a kid and it's always fascinated me. I will watch this show for however long it's on and i have to say I am really impressed that at no point have they theorized that aliens might be involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Luvcow posted:

I read about this place when I was a kid and it's always fascinated me. I will watch this show for however long it's on and i have to say I am really impressed that at no point have they theorized that aliens might be involved.

Yet.

• Locked thread