Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«33 »
  • Post
  • Reply
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




AE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



A
E

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.


A
E

We might get a glimpse at the manor from an angle we hadn't before.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012



Grimey Drawer

AE

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


You accept the stone knife, the protective charm, and the cloak. The cloak is warm and soft, and you tuck the knife and charm into the boat, tying them to it with a length of net-rope. From up close, you can see that there are three fishing nets in the boat - apparently, finding your name might take some time. Then, taking up the pole, you push the boat out until it's mostly in the water, climb in, and paddle off, under the watchful eyes of the villagers.

Once you're out in the water, you take a few moments to consider where to go - and ultimately decide to paddle around the island to the southeast, gazing up at the Manor as you pass it. There's a current running alongside the island, though thankfully it seems to be gently pushing you away from the island. The Manor is as dark and still as always, though when you glance up at it, there's a flicker of blue in the window, like someone had lit a blue fire. You feel like you're being watched - and you probably are. After all, Naman did say that Muran would watch over you, didn't he?

You try to glance up at the Manor as you go. From the village, the only way to get across to the Manor is via a stone walkway, and your fathers took great care to insist that you were never to go near it.

1.While you were growing up, you
A. Obeyed them, and never went near the walkway.
B. Took the daring few steps onto the walkway, earning you the applause of your peers for your bravery.
C. Tried to sneak up to the closed gates, once or a few times, only to be caught by Naman - who had somehow known of your attempts each time.

The Manor is a massive stone building, far larger than any of the villager's huts. Naman will not say who built it, only that Muran and those she calls to serve her live there now - and that none of the People are allowed to enter the Manor unless Muran specifically calls for them. It has windows, filled with some strange material that you can see through - unless it rains, when the droplets on the substance make it hard to see inside. You never can make out much inside, though, since it's always dark in there and it's on much higher ground than the village.

You try to look up at the Manor, but navigating a boat with a pole is hard enough. You're in a swamp, and you have the proportional strength and mass of a twelve-year-old girl, making it still more difficult - though not impossible. You're in good shape from all the work you do in the village, and you got plenty of practice going out with Naman in his boat over the last four years. Despite all this, you still need to keep most of your attention on handling the boat - which is why you don't see the crocodile until it is almost on top of you.

2. When you sight the crocodile, drifting deceptively slowly towards you in the water, you
D. Scream and try to pole away swiftly. You know this probably won't work.
E. Scream and grab your stone knife to try to fight it. You know this is almost certainly suicide.
F. D, but without screaming. You'll need to save your breath for poling! It probably still won't work.
G. E, but without screaming. This is still almost certainly suicide.
H. Try to entangle the crocodile in one of your fishing nets and escape. You have no idea how likely this is to succeed, but if it does, you very likely won't get the net back.
I. H, but go for the kill instead!
J. Pray to Muran to save you!
K. H, but poling away.
L. H, but trying to get your knife ready to stab the crocodile.
M. Fill in!

I've decided to just give each option it's own letter, to make counting up the votes easier.

You can swim very well, control a boat reasonably well considering that you aren't a full-size adult yet, and can use a fishing-net for it's intended purpose reasonably well. You can also build a fire, make stone knives that are better than any of the other children's - though the adults can probably make better ones - and know some of the shamanic lore of the swamplands.

It's worth noting that if you want to probe your own knowledge on a subject, you can always ask me to elaborate.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at Nov 22, 2017 around 18:03

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every fighter says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"


Do we know of stories where crocodiles attack people in boats?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A roc and a hard place


Are we sure the crocodile is going to eat us? Do adult regularly get killed by crocodiles? What would a village adult do in this situation? What would they recommend US to do?

Yeah, asking for instructions is boring, but it's more like checking our survival knowledge.


What other dangerous creatures are near the swamp? What about further beyond? Have we ever seen one of those "dangerous creatures" mentioned before? How often does the mist come?

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


Patrick Spens posted:

Do we know of stories where crocodiles attack people in boats?

Plenty. They tend to not end well for the person if the crocodile gets close to them.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Are we sure the crocodile is going to eat us? Do adult regularly get killed by crocodiles? What would a village adult do in this situation? What would they recommend US to do?

You're pretty sure that it will eat you if it gets the chance. Adults usually are more able to pay attention to their surroundings, due to being somewhat bigger than preteen girls, and so an adult would probably have spotted the crocodile sooner - but adults do occasionally die to crocodile attacks, when their cause of death is known. More often, they just don't come back in, and their boat is often later found empty and somewhat damaged. In this situation, they'd probably try to hamper the crocodile and escape - or just pole away rapidly. As for what they'd tell someone your size and strength to do...you have no idea.

Mr. Nemo posted:

What other dangerous creatures are near the swamp? What about further beyond? Have we ever seen one of those "dangerous creatures" mentioned before? How often does the mist come?

There are stories of a vast and hungry grove of trees that generate strong currents to draw people and animals in, before entangling them and drowning them to feed the trees. There's also stories of stranger kinds of Dead - gibbering, leaping things that run through the trees, before leaping down and devouring people. Stories of strange lights that lure you towards a place where many of the Dead wait beneath the surface to drag you below. The strangest danger you've heard about is a current that sometimes runs through the far areas of the swamps. Where it touches a boat or a person, it burns them. You've never seen any of these things yourself, though.

There's no real time pattern to the mists - though you have learned many of the signs. You don't see any of them right now.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A roc and a hard place


Does praying to the Duchess make sense in this situation? Is she supposed to help people in distress?

K

But J aslo sounds good, might as well see how the supernatural works in this world.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every fighter says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"


C
K

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


Mr. Nemo posted:

Does praying to the Duchess make sense in this situation? Is she supposed to help people in distress?

K

But J aslo sounds good, might as well see how the supernatural works in this world.

You're a probably-quite-frightened twelve-year-old girl, alone for literally the first time in her life. Calling out to your god makes sense, even if the stories about Her that Naman told you - even the ones he waited until the two of you were alone to tell you - suggest that She's far more likely to send knowledge or guide someone else to save you than just smite a problem. Judging by the secret stories, Her intervention is often subtle and unnoticed until after the fact. Only highly skilled shamans of the People have ever been able to invoke Her presence, and even then that's entirely at Her whim.

A note on how voting works: Every vote counts. Even if your choice is outvoted, every player represents part of the girl's mind - and options considered but ultimately discarded will both factor into behavior during timeskips, and will subtly alter future options presented. At this point, the girl isn't too terribly well-defined, but as time goes on, the type of actions and thoughts she's had in the past will influence the options she considers in the future.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Toilet Rascal

C, I. Fortune favours the brave.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A roc and a hard place


B

Being brave is cool, being a daredevil is dangerous.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

I ain't no punk bitch, croc.

See if we can entangle the croc if it gets closer, otherwise try to gently caress off ASAP.

K.

Conscious of not losing your balance and ending up a chew toy. Turn the boat so the croc is approaching the end, rather than the middle, where it could capsize you.

Question for FrizenGoldfishGod:

Have we seen people get hurt? What do we know about caring for an injury? I'm sure we've gotten a cut or 2 if we're out making stone knives.

How aware are we of things like infections? I'm trying to assess some basic first-aid.

Are we prone to sickness or fevers due to living in a swamp?

Did we receive any advice from our fathers or overhear any stories from other adults that would help us draw conclusions on where to go?

Do we poop? (I had to beat you guys to the punch, I'm so sorry)

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A roc and a hard place


Cannon_Fodder posted:


Question for FrizenGoldfishGod:

Have we seen people get hurt? What do we know about caring for an injury?

Oh poo poo, what's the oldest person in the village?

Goddamit, it's Cannibal Town all over again!

But with ManNamehood trials.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


Cannon_Fodder posted:

Have we seen people get hurt? What do we know about caring for an injury? I'm sure we've gotten a cut or 2 if we're out making stone knives.

How aware are we of things like infections? I'm trying to assess some basic first-aid.

To answer these both together, you are aware of the medicinal properties of some swamp plants. Given your incoming toothy death, you don't really have time to look around for them - but they're not particularly hard to find. You could probably find them if you had some time to look. You've seen injured people before, both seriously injured and less-seriously injured. Unless they've been bitten by one of the Dead, treatment is usually 'chew these plants until they're a paste, then put them in the wound before bandaging it'. The People know basic first aid - bandages, splints. Anything more serious usually requires a charm or other magical treatment from Naman.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Are we prone to sickness or fevers due to living in a swamp?

Not particularly. People do get sick from time to time, but it's rarely serious enough for them to die unless they're elderly or very young.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Did we receive any advice from our fathers or overhear any stories from other adults that would help us draw conclusions on where to go?

You didn't know anything about this ritual beforehand beyond the basics - that you'd be sent out to find your name. Naman seemed to believe that whichever direction you went, you'd eventually find your name. Orra told you when you'd asked him before about it to not worry about it.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Do we poop? (I had to beat you guys to the punch, I'm so sorry)

Your bodily functions are entirely normal for a prepubescent girl, insofar as you can tell.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


Mr. Nemo posted:

Oh poo poo, what's the oldest person in the village?

The oldest-looking person in the village is Kalo, the grandmother of a number of your playmates. She's nearly 60, and still as sharp and clever with her hands as she was when she was younger, according to everyone in the village. She's the one who taught you how to make better stone knives than the other children. Orra makes better knives than her, but since he's still young and strong enough to be in a boat, he seldom does.

The one he gave you he made just for you, for this day.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Your bodily functions are entirely normal for a prepubescent girl, insofar as you can tell.

I don't know if I'm relieved or disappointed.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn


CK

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

1. C
2. I
- fastest name-finding trial ever!

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A roc and a hard place


Aades posted:

1. C
2. I
- fastest name-finding trial ever!

Yes!

Ask the crocodile if it knows what our name should be

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Tastes like chicken.

The Great Twist

BK

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009



C
L

We have two other fishing nets and hopefully a stab will make the crocodile decide that there are easier meals.

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2016 around 02:40

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.


So "I" is more aggressive and "L" is more waiting for a singular strike?

B
L

Recall that Naman has crocodile bones and stuff in his ritual garb. Surely he's shared with us some stories about how he came into possession of them and how the beast was slain?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



B L

Net it, be ready to shove our pole down its throat and knife its eyes.

Absum
May 28, 2013



1. B
2. K

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




Ceramic Shot posted:

B
L

Recall that Naman has crocodile bones and stuff in his ritual garb. Surely he's shared with us some stories about how he came into possession of them and how the beast was slain?

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


Ceramic Shot posted:

So "I" is more aggressive and "L" is more waiting for a singular strike?

B
L

Recall that Naman has crocodile bones and stuff in his ritual garb. Surely he's shared with us some stories about how he came into possession of them and how the beast was slain?


Voting's closed while I write up the update, but while I do that, I'll answer some of the questions.

Naman had indeed told you the story of how he came by the crocodile bones in his ritual gear. He'd hunted the mightiest crocodile - indeed, probably the mother of all the crocodiles in the swamp (the People are matrilineal, on the grounds that any of the tribe's men might be the father, but the mother is never in dispute) - for days and days, before finally striking. Using the knowledge of the shamans, and his own prowess with a dagger, he'd killed it - as an adult. You don't actually know much about Naman's childhood.

You'll note that right now, while I do offer options as to what you can do, I don't usually describe how you're doing it. That's because, during this early part of the game, you aren't terribly fleshed out in terms of personality. Since more people seem to regard 'L' as the 'singular strike' option, that's likely how it would be treated as it happens - and if it works (and you survive, obv.), you will be very slightly more inclined towards using that approach again when you use violence.

Questions like 1 are partly to establish a backstory as it becomes relevant, and partly to establish a personality. Time-skip questions, because they deal with longer stretches of time, will have a more profound effect on personality and the types of options presented, though no course of action is ever off the table when I put down 'Fill in.' I'll also post a summary of your personality and 'stat' traits as they develop after each time skip, just so you all have some idea of the person you're becoming. Furthermore, where two options are chosen that are not necessarily directly contradictory - say, in the case of a tie vote - I will meld the two, making both actions you have or are taking. The effects of each will very likely be somewhat lessened, but it depends on the effects in question. Where there is a tie and a contradiction, I will call for a re-vote.

Lastly, some questions will be answered randomly - such as the one I quoted above. I flipped a coin to see if Naman had told you that story, and it came up as a 'Yes' - so now he's told you about it. Before that, I truly had no idea what he'd told you, but making things up on the fly is an essential GM skill in any game.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at Dec 15, 2016 around 16:27

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


In the past, you've sneaked up to the Manor after your chores were done with the other children. While many of them were too afraid to go near it, you - perhaps emboldened by your relationship with Naman, perhaps just because you were braver than the rest - actually stepped onto the path. When you'd done this several times, and it ceased to impress, you actually snuck up to the gates - only to be caught there by Naman, who you had somehow failed to notice.

He scolded you, pulled you away, and made you pray to Muran to forgive your trespass - and when you tried the stunt again after seeing him safely off in his boat, he somehow still managed to be there, waiting for you to try it again. Your punishment this time was to pray all night as well, and to your great surprise, Naman was there praying with you all night. You were tired the next day.

Back in the present, you see the crocodile floating towards you. You consider asking it for a name, but the stories you've heard suggest that the only name it would give you is 'lunch', and then only briefly.

You remember one of Naman's prayers from a day when one of the villagers disappeared, a prayer for the protection and guidance of Muran on those lost. You being to gasp it as you pole away from the crocodile as fast as your small arms will allow you to.
The crocodile, unfortunately for you, seems to be much better at swimming than you are, and as it closes in, you consider stabbing it - but instead settle for redoubling your efforts.
Just when the crocodile is within striking distance of your boat, that same current that carried you past the Manor catches you again, though by now it is bearing you away from the village altogether - and, thankfully, away from the crocodile as well, more south than southeast at this point. Between the current and your efforts, you are carried away to safety, and the crocodile gives up the pursuit - there is slower-moving game to catch in the swamps, and it seems to have decided to ignore you. The swift current carries you south for some ways before it stops, and the sun is well into the sky now, cold and white.
"Decided on the better part of valor, hmm? Good on you."

The voice is a deep bass growl, but as you turn as swiftly as you can without upsetting your boat to look at it, the only person you can see is a woman, bare to the waist and wearing a pair of leather breeches.
"Hello, girl." The woman's lips move, but there's something off about how her mouth moves. She's a stranger, all right - but she's not the Stranger, as you and the other villagers have taken to calling your visitor when you were younger. Her skin is far darker than yours or anyone else's in the village, and her eyes are a dark, piercing green. She's holding a small knife made of some sort of unusual black stone - quite unlike the gray one your knife is made of - in one hand, and in the other she appears to be holding some sort of black stone. The stone in her hand is of the same material as the knife, but rounded and polished. She looks to be an adult, perhaps ten or so years older than you. She's sitting on a small tussock that supports one of the larger nearby trees, among the tree's roots. It actually looks rather comfortable.
"You're the first person I've seen come this way in quite some time. What brings you out this direction? Your people usually go around the other way, or in some other direction altogether."
1. In response to the strange woman speaking to you, you..
This is a freebie question! Feel free to be as specific as you like. If you like someone else's response and want to vote for it, just quote them. Similar answers will be grouped together for ease of calculating your next action.

You can also ask her some questions, if you like.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at Nov 22, 2017 around 18:04

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3


"I'm out here to seek my name," you say, as if this is obvious.

For questions:

"If you saw the crocodile chasing me, how come you didn't help?"

"I like your knife. What's it made out of?"

"Do you live out here? Are you of the People?"

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


Erwin the German posted:

"If you saw the crocodile chasing me, how come you didn't help?"
The woman laughs, a harsh, almost barking sound. "Because I wanted to see what you'd do about it."

Erwin the German posted:

"I like your knife. What's it made out of?"
The woman holds it up. "It's made of a kind of [word you do not know] that is only found a very long way from here. I am one of the greatest [another word you do not know] where I come from."

Erwin the German posted:

"Do you live out here? Are you of the People?"
The woman shakes her head. "No, but I have been hunting here for nearly two years. And I am of a people, though I suspect you and I do not mean the same thing when we say the People."

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at Dec 15, 2016 around 17:25

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Introduce ourselves but keep our distance.

Ask what she is doing

Don't make the cloak obvious. If she notices, then whatever, but don't flaunt the symbol.

OP

Does she give us any particular impression?
Do we get any sort of sensation as we assess her?
Any identifying marks/scars? Does she look like someone prone to violence? What is her height? How is she holding the knife?

Ask: How do you travel the swamps without concern for the wildlife? Do you have any tips for safety out here?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every fighter says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"


Where is the woman? Is she in the boat with you? In her own boat? Somewhere else?

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Do your people live nearby?

Where is your shirt?

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


Patrick Spens posted:

Where is the woman? Is she in the boat with you? In her own boat? Somewhere else?

Sorry, somehow the bit with that information got deleted in the post. I'll edit it back in, but she's sitting on a small tussock at the roots of a nearby tree.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:



The woman holds it up. "It's made of a kind of [word you do not know] that is only found a very long way from here. I am one of the greatest [another word you do not know] where I come from."

Ask if she could repeat the word (and we should try to remember it) and ask what that is. In regard to her profession, not so much the object's material.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every fighter says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"


What is my name?

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009


What are you hunting?

How did you get your skin so dark?

Any information or help you can give me about this part of the swamp?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Aades posted:



Where is your shirt?

... prude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


Cannon_Fodder posted:

Ask what she is doing
She shrugs. "Taking a break from watching the swamp for my quarry."

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Don't make the cloak obvious. If she notices, then whatever, but don't flaunt the symbol.

This is an action, not a question, so I'll append it to your vote. If a vote to specifically flaunt or call her attention to it wins, then you'll draw her attention to it - if not, then it'll be assumed you simply didn't call attention to it. (This isn't calling out you specifically, I'm just clarifying how I'll be handling statements like this.)

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Does she give us any particular impression?
Do we get any sort of sensation as we assess her?
Any identifying marks/scars? Does she look like someone prone to violence? What is her height? How is she holding the knife?

She doesn't seem to be hostile to you - if anything, her tone and body posture suggest mild interest and amusement.
You don't get any sensations like the ones you felt when you looked at the Stranger, though you do get the odd feeling that her gaze can see into you somehow.
She is completely unscarred and unmarked. This is unusual, in your experience - you've got a few minor scars around your arms and hands from mishandling stone knives when you were younger, though they're long-faded, and most adults you've seen have at least a few animal bites and minor scarring. Her musculature and frame suggest that she's strong - and she's probably the tallest person you've ever seen, though this wasn't immediately apparent until you took the time to size her up, since she's all folded up and sitting down. She's holding the knife like she knows what to do with it, by the handle.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Ask: How do you travel the swamps without concern for the wildlife? Do you have any tips for safety out here?
She shrugs again, grinning at you. Her teeth are shockingly bright against her dark-skinned face. "I watch and I make sure to avoid things I can't fight. Being very strong and very fast probably helps, too! As for staying safe, I'd suggest not going out alone!" This last is followed by a laugh.


Aades posted:

Do your people live nearby?
She shakes her head. "No, they live a long, long ways away. And I for one hope they stay there!"

Aades posted:

Where is your shirt?
She grins again. "I don't need one - it's rare that anyone sees me."


Cannon_Fodder posted:

Ask if she could repeat the word (and we should try to remember it) and ask what that is. In regard to her profession, not so much the object's material.
She obliges, and answers. "It's someone who works with [the first word again], making things from it." You try to remember the word she used. The stories Naman told you were full of words you didn't recognize or have much context for, and your study with him has given you an excellent memory, so you probably will remember it.


Patrick Spens posted:

What is my name?
Her response to this one depends on your actions, so it will be answered after the next update.

Lazaruise posted:

What are you hunting?
She gestures with the knife towards the swamp in general. "A person who escaped from my people, and fled to this swamp. I have a question I need to ask them."

Lazaruise posted:

How did you get your skin so dark?
She laughs aloud at that, tapping her forehead. "My mother and father gave it to me the day I was born."

Lazaruise posted:

Any information or help you can give me about this part of the swamp?
She shrugs again. "Stay away from the crocodiles. And the dead things. You'll hear their moaning and splashing long before they get to you, so if you hear that, move away. But I'd think a daughter of the swamp like you wouldn't need me to tell you that!"

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«33 »