Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Is it common for two separate groups of undead to attack?

I wonder if the hunter lady is capable of doing something like this.

1. B
2. C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

BE

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Aades posted:

Is it common for two separate groups of undead to attack?

I wonder if the hunter lady is capable of doing something like this.

1. B
2. C

As far as you know, it isn't unusual to have separate groups attack throughout the day - but it's unusual to have a group come from the south.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
BD

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BE

Queen of the dead!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

uhhhh

i gotta do this

BE

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

You walk over to Naman and Orra, and tell them quietly about the second group coming from the south. Naman asks, "Are you sure, sweet?" While you are assuring him that yes, you could feel them, Orra walks a few paces away and lifts his face to the sky, sniffing with an odd, snorting sound you've never heard him make before. He then returns to the two of you.
"She's right, Naman. I can smell them, now that she's pointed them out - and there's something else with them."
"Some more specialized form?"
"Hard to tell, but I don't think it's one of the Dead at all."
Naman turns to the villagers. "Half of you, remain there. The other half, head south! There's a larger group coming over the side of the hill, be prepared to fend them off!"

While the villagers get into position, you try to reach out to the Dead and seize control of them. Nothing happens. You try again, trying to remember how that darkness felt when you killed the Stranger four years ago. Nothing happens. You give it one more try, straining at the very fabric of your being -

You can feel a Presence among the Dead, as well as their endless hunger. The Presence is suddenly horribly, utterly aware of you, and a sensation overtakes you. This is WRONG, this is BAD, and you are TERRIFIED because of it. Suddenly, you can hear the strange woman's voice, reverberating around you. Nobody else seems to hear it.

"Thanks for the trail, child. Now I know exactly where you are - and where Nerida and Orra are likely to be."

Then you're standing back in the middle of the village with Naman and Orra, who are both looking at you, concerned - but before they can speak, you can hear the moaning of the Dead as they attack from the north. The villagers cry out, and Naman turns swiftly.

"You know what to do! Drive them back as we always have!" You can feel Naman's words hang in the air, as though they had a weight and force behind them, and the villagers straighten. Despite the reassuring sensation, the feeling of wrongness persists, coming from all sides at once, and you see the villagers left to the north charge the emerging Dead as they reach the land. Spears swing as clubs, shattering the fragile skulls of the Dead, and the knives swing, severing heads from bodies. Where the heads are severed, the bodies fall motionless, only to be clambered over by the emerging Dead from the water. The heads themselves continue to gnash and move, still horribly animated.
Scant seconds after the villagers engage the Dead from the north, while more are still emerging, the villagers to the south cry out. From that direction, you hear the moaning of the Dead as they crest the hill. Naman cries out once more.

"This attack is no different from the others!"

She is wrong. This attack will be your end.

The voice is no more than a whisper, but you hear it clearly among the cries of the villagers and the shouting of Naman and Orra. Orra charges the group coming from the south, followed by the group of villagers positioned there, while Naman runs to the north to assist the villagers fighting there. Throughout it all, your head spins and your stomach churns at the wrongness here, though you cannot see a source for it.

1. You can feel the wrongness! What do you do?
A. I join the villagers fighting in the north! If we can drive them back there, we can rally and help the southern defenders!
B. I join Orra in his wild charge to the south! If we can hold them off, Naman and the others can come help us!
C. I try to locate the source of the wrongness. This will keep me out of the fight for now.
D. I run and hide in one of the huts! I was wrong, I wasn't ready for this!
E. Fill in.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

1. C

If the hunter can track us then it might be better if we stay away from the dads. Hopefully we can locate her before she gets to her targets.

I almost want to go with Orra to join in the fighting and watch his back, but the hunter lady is probably too far out of our league for us to be effective at that. It might be worth it just to warn him that the strange presence he smelled is the hunter, I don't know.

Absum
May 28, 2013

what was up with all those wrongvotes dang everyone should vote as I do tyvm

1. B cause I think the wrongness comes from the thing in the southern group so we might as well go there immediately (also we probably aren't actually strong enough to fight it on our own considering it terrified us)

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
B

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

B

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
B

Try and warn Orra that the hunter woman is present if we get a chance.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Sucrose posted:

B

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sucrose posted:

B

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Aw man, I wanted us to be a Necromancer.

Sucrose posted:

B

:frogsiren: That loving bitch! :frogsiren:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Blasphemaster posted:

Aw man, I wanted us to be a Necromancer.

It's looking like Necromancy is a no-go, but I think we should try and test out if we do indeed have any sort of "destructive powers" against the Dead.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Sucrose posted:

B

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sucrose posted:

It's looking like Necromancy is a no-go, but I think we should try and test out if we do indeed have any sort of "destructive powers" against the Dead.

Two words: Zombie Hadouken.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

You charge into the fray alongside the southern group of villagers. Orra is already ahead of you. All over his body - at least, his arms, legs and face - silvery tattoos are visible, glowing faintly, and even as you and the other villagers reach him, you see him swing his empty hands - and two of the Dead fall, their heads cleaved off. You manage to shout out a warning to him, that the strange woman is with them, and you see him nod. Then the Dead are upon you, and you focus on what you know of using your spear.

One swift jab, right through the weakened skull of one of the Dead. Then another, and another. The wrongness hasn't abated, but the fact that you are moving, that you are fighting, is making it seem a little bit better.

Stab.

Stab.

And then there's a little breathing space - and you see still more of them rushing at you. These ones are different - they move faster, and they seem to be clustering together, like you are. And behind them, you can feel that Presence again. The strange woman, dressed in rigid, gleaming stone garments - the same kind of strange stone as the Stranger was wearing, though there are small differences that tell you that it's not the same exact items - is advancing behind the small cluster of the Dead. In her hand, she holds a club, made from the same stone as her garments, but with a much broader head - and you can see the edge on that head gleaming as she lifts it.
Behind you, you hear mostly screams and shouts - shouldn't they have been able to finish off the Dead by now? Unless they were hit by these fast-moving ones too - and then there's no more time to think, as the Dead are upon you. But these really are different - they evade your stabs, dodge your blows, and you see one grab hold of one of the villagers. With a wet, tearing sound -

the man's arm is torn from it's socket, and he goes down, screaming. Orra turns, but before he can step up, the strange woman launches herself at him, swinging that massive club. There's a loud boom, and he blocks it - but those silvery tattoos are glowing even brighter now, and you can see an odd sort of glow around Orra, a faint silver light that emanates from him. His Presence is more palpable now, like the woman's - even when you're not looking at them, you can feel both of them and where they are relative to you. You can feel a fourth Presence behind you, as well, and without even turning to look you can feel that it's Naman - but it feels different still from the woman and Orra's.

You don't have much time to think about it, however - there's still the strange, quick-moving Dead to deal with, too. As you watch them, you find that, unlike the other villagers, you seem to know where they're going to jump and strike before they do it - an awareness you didn't know about until you had a chance to do it. You can still feel the link you established earlier - that might be where it's coming from? Hard to tell, in the middle of the fight.

1. What do you do now?
A. I need to go help Orra! The woman is dangerous!
B. I need to go get Naman! The villagers can deal with these new Dead without me!
C. I need to stay here and fight off these new Dead - the villagers can't defeat them without my help!
D. I need to get out of here, this is getting too far beyond me!
E. Fill in.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
C

This strange woman may start to monologue any second and we can't miss that.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

C

Maybe if we handle the undead while she is distracted by her fight with Orra we can gain some more insight on how to control them.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

C

They're not just faster, they can literally rip people limb from limb. :stonk: That's a major upgrade, the villagers need all the help they can get.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

C

Might as well put our badass fighting skills to use.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
C, but if the woman starts monologuing try to jam our spear in her neck.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
A

If the woman is controlling the dead, as I think she is, then maybe taking her out will take them out as well.

Absum
May 28, 2013

C

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

C

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

As you watch them, you feel the blackness you felt after you killed the Stranger welling up inside you, cold and terrible and somehow entirely familiar. It leaps to the left as you jab at it, and you move, almost automatically - Orra had shown you how to do this, and now it comes as easily as breathing to you. Your stone knife flickers out, and the darkness within moves along the blade. It shouldn't be strong enough to sever this thing's spine, and yet -

with a single motion, you cut right through the monstrosity's throat and spine, severing it's head neatly. Unlike the others, when you cut this one down, it crumbles into dust. A quick look around shows that the villagers are faring much worse against the others - there are perhaps eight of these fast-Dead remaining, and they are striking down villagers, shattering spears and stone knives and clubs as they shatter the people holding them. Moving swiftly, you run up behind two of them, and one hand jabs with your spear while the other slashes. The darkness flows out along your weapons, and the Dead crumble into dust swiftly. You can feel the rest of them - five, no make that four, fighting Naman and the others, six more near you, and the battle between Orra and the strange woman is continuing.

As the villagers manage, through sheer weight of numbers, to pull down and dispatch one of the remaining ones near you, you see that it remains intact, though inert, once it's head has been severed. You whirl, preparing to confront one of the remaining five near you, when you hear Naman shout.
"Mitra, Invictus! Qui in tenebris vincit!"

Golden light washes outwards from Naman's position, and the Dead collapse into dust. The strange woman is bathed in golden flames, but with a flick of her hand, the flames fly off of her. As the light reaches you -

- OH DEAR MURAN, THE PAIN!

The same golden flames that engulfed the strange woman a moment ago engulf you. It is easily the worst agony you have ever felt, drowning out the other Presences you can feel with a massive Presence that feels only burning hatred towards you. It doesn't just burn outside you, it burns inside, too! The darkness coils in your gut, cold and comforting, but the PAIN spreads through the rest of your body!

1. OH MURAN, THIS IS THE WORST PAIN YOU'VE EVER FELT!
A. Scream wordlessly, and collapse. This is probably the easiest thing to do under these circumstances.
B. Cry out to Naman, Orra, Muran, anybody, save me!
C. Try to duplicate what you just saw the strange woman do. You have no idea how she did it, if it hurt her this badly, and you really aren't sure how you'd even try it.
D. Try to force yourself to keep fighting. You're pretty sure that with this kind of pain, even if you manage to get to your feet, your fighting is going to be seriously impaired by the agony.
E. Try to tap into the darkness to fend off the flames. You have no idea how to do this, and you're going to be basically helpless while you try - if you can even do it.
F. Fill in.

2. Whatever Naman did, did this to you! What are you feeling, under all the agony?
A. Betrayed. Your own father attacked you!
B. Confused. Why did he do that? Didn't he know this would happen?
C. Angry. The enemy is right over there, and you're taking shots at me?
D. Afraid. What other horrible things are going to happen to me?
E. Fill in.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 22, 2017

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

E

E--determined to succeed

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1-B
2-B

Life has gotten very strange, very quickly.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
BB
We weren't expecting this.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

EB - Go into the light darkness. Try and hide within ourselves?

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

1. E
2. C

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BB

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
C
B

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CB

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
CE - Determined to master such power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

SerSpook posted:

E

E--determined to succeed

+1, yeah do this.

• Locked thread