Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«33 »
  • Locked thread
Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009



E
C


I doubt he intended to hit us with the fire as well but still confusion makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


You briefly consider trying to call out to Naman and Orra and Muran. You briefly consider trying to mimic the strange woman's trick of a moment before. Even as you writhe, you are very, very confused as to why Naman did that - and just a little bit angry. After all, the enemy was right there, and yet he did SOMETHING that hit you, too! But first things first - you can feel the darkness, cool and coiled in your gut, and you try to draw it forth to quell the burning, searing pain.

Right at first, you feel nothing except the pain. And then, with a silent surge, it flows outwards, suffusing your limbs and your head, and





















































































































































































winding stone below come city dark passage to endless cold watching waiting us come never stone beneath still silent cannot the sleeping dark forever black suffer escape chained city help die us.













Your eyes open with a snap. You're lying on your face on the cold ground near the village, and you can smell a faint scent of rot. There's no sound around you but the faint lapping of the water against the shore of the hill, and the buzz of nearby insects. It's almost peaceful, until you raise your head. As you look up, the first thing that meets your eyes is the pile of bodies. The villagers - as far as you can tell, all of them - have been piled up crudely, around a central stake of some white material. Impaled at the top is Naman, the stake driven through his chest until his body is resting on the pile of dead villagers, his blood already dried and his eyes dead and staring. There's no sign of the strange woman, but you can still faintly feel her Presence lingering around this place. You cannot feel Naman or Orra's Presences at all - though there's no sign of Orra's body from where you lie.

1. You can see almost everyone you've ever known or loved dead in front of you. What's your reaction?
A. I'm in shock - I literally don't know how to process this.
B. I'm overcome by the sorrow of losing - without even knowing how it happened really - my entire family, my entire culture.
C. I'm furious! That dark-skinned bitch will pay for this! And where the hell was Muran during all this?
D. I'm terrified. I was taught to survive, but as part of a tribe! What will happen to me now?
E. I'm in denial. This can't be real, this can't be real - it's gotta be some kind of vision, or something!
F. Fill in.

The flames are gone, and there's no sign of physical damage. It's about four hours, give or take twenty minutes, until sundown - when bodies, if unburnt, rise as the Dead.

2. What action do you take?
A. I remain on the ground, waiting for things to make sense.
B. I force myself to get up. The bodies must be burnt before sundown, or I'll have even more problems to deal with.
C. I force myself to get up, and I go up to the manor. Where was Muran when this was happening?
D. I force myself to get up, and I go. There's nothing here for me any more, and if I put enough distance between myself and this place, the reanimated villagers won't be a problem.
E. I force myself to get up. I don't see Orra's body anywhere, which means either it was taken, or he's not dead - I'm going to go find out, if I can, what happened to him.
G. Fill in.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at Nov 22, 2017 around 18:16

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012



Grimey Drawer

BB

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




AC 1. B evolving to C; 2. B evolving to C

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at Jan 9, 2017 around 14:23

Absum
May 28, 2013



AA

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

AA

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.


AE with the internal reasoning that he can't be dead, not everyone can be dead. It's impossible!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


CD
BC


Although keeping our beloved father's body unburnt so he can be reborn has a certain merit.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Toilet Rascal

FE Free. Free at last from this quagmire of liars, those two foremost among them. Free from fealty to the child-stealing Duchess. Free to do as I please, to carve out my own fate, explore my powers.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009


AB

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every fighter says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"


Well this is lovely

AC

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012


dont be mean to me posted:

1. B evolving to C; 2. B evolving to C

I'm with this guy.
Super sad, but where was the Duchess!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005




dont be mean to me posted:

AC 1. B evolving to C; 2. B evolving to C

Solid.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009



dont be mean to me posted:

AC 1. B evolving to C; 2. B evolving to C

Can't stop the evolution.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



AA

*wordless keening mumbles wtf argh wanna wake up*

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009


Grimey Drawer

AB

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


You stare at the bodies for several long minutes - you're not sure precisely how long. Anger, sorrow, even twinges of fear and a faint thrill at your new freedom pass through you, and everything feels slightly unreal as you slowly climb to your feet. It'd be easy, so drat easy, to just sit here and wait for them to animate - at least then they'd be back with you, moving if not exactly themselves, and you wouldn't be so dreadfully alone - but you remember what Naman once told you about the Dead - one of the shamanic secrets he passed on to you.

Naman, Last Shaman of the People posted:

"They are not just empty shells, as the shamans tell the villagers. The moaning is their souls, trapped in those rotting, hungering husks, crying out in horror at what they are and what they've become. Our killing is not just to preserve the living, it is to rescue the dead."

Numbly, slowly, moving almost like one of the Dead yourself, you climb to your feet. The bonfire still smolders in the center of the village, an obscene sign of life where there is none. You take a burning branch, and walk over to the bodies. Naman taught you the prayers to be made to enable the dead to burn as easily as dry wood - no mean feat in these damp swamps - and you mumble them. He also taught you the prayers to Muran, that she take in and keep safe those souls who die from the villagers.

1. You know the prayer to ask Muran to look after the souls of the dead - do you say it alongside the funeral pyre prayer?
A. Yes. They died serving Her, they should be Hers now.
B. No. If She had intervened, they might not be dead now! If She wants them so badly, let Her collect them from wherever they go without the prayers.

Either way, the funeral pyre burns faster even than you would have expected. Within half an hour, their bodies - and Naman's - are ashes. You should feel better, or at least should be sad - but the feeling of numbness persists. Your gaze turns towards the manor, and you feel your first real emotion since you woke up - anger. It burns all the hotter inside you for the sickening sorrow you feel over the loss of the People. Without even thinking about it consciously, you walk up the hill, towards the Manor. The feeling of unreality around you persists, and you half-expect to see Naman standing in front of it, blocking your way as he did when you tried this walk as a child - but though it brings you to the edge of tears, and stokes your anger into an angry throb that you can feel with each beat of your heart, the path is empty. Nobody is coming to stop you.



The high gate, made of what you now know to be a strange stone that requires great heat and great strength to forge, stands before you, blocking the path across the bridge. Your anger burns, and you feel the darkness within you respond - the gate is shoved open as you stride angrily towards the Manor. The bridge is stone, and is cold and dry beneath your feet. You see the door looming in front of you, leading into the Manor proper as it looms over you. In the west, the sun is setting, and the Manor's darkened windows gape at you like the empty eyes below did. You think you see a hint of movement - something small, and pale, by one of the windows for a second. And you turn your gaze to the door. There's a heavy ring attached to the door made from the same strange not-stone as the gate - though with the strength the darkness is giving you, you could easily simply force the door.

2. You stand before the Manor, determined and ready to enter. How do you do so?
A. I slam the not-stone ring against the door loudly enough that anyone inside can hear me.
B. I shove the door! I will have my answers, and I will not wait - and I know with the darkness empowering me, I am strong enough to force this door open.
C. I try to climb one of the stone walls to get in at a window. Whatever transparent material covers them doesn't look sturdy enough to keep me out. As a somewhat skilled hunter, I know I am a good enough climber to get up there without making a sound. This will take somewhat longer than the other options.
D. I think better of this - Muran may be a betrayer, but she's still a god. That woman was no god, but she still managed to defeat Naman and the other villagers, and probably Orra too. Maybe I should try to get answers when I am stronger? I depart.
E. Fill in.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at Nov 22, 2017 around 18:16

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012



Grimey Drawer

AA

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




Vote changed.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2017 around 16:05

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009


Grimey Drawer

BB

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005




B,A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


BB

A God that cannot protect what is it's is no God. Lets see what this false God is.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009



A
A

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012


BC
I'm all for breaking in to teach the Duchess a lesson, but considering the person who just killed everyone we knew was scared of her, we should be a little trepidatious.

Maybe we can sneak in and steal an important thing.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.


C - I do the prayers because I'm scared what might happen to their souls without them, not particularly because I think she should have them.
A

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007



Toilet Rascal

AA

It does not matter what we believe, it matters what they believed. Thus do we pay our respects.

Absum
May 28, 2013



Nettle Soup posted:

C - I do the prayers because I'm scared what might happen to their souls without them, not particularly because I think she should have them.
A

Voting this

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




Changing my vote from AA to

Nettle Soup posted:

C - I do the prayers because I'm scared what might happen to their souls without them, not particularly because I think she should have them.
A

but for this reason.

AJ_Impy posted:

It does not matter what we believe, it matters what they believed. Thus do we pay our respects.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Chatrapati posted:

BC
I'm all for breaking in to teach the Duchess a lesson, but considering the person who just killed everyone we knew was scared of her, we should be a little trepidatious.

Maybe we can sneak in and steal an important thing.

Iike her head?

We seem to have necromancy powers so maybe we can become an agent of the dutchess and bide our time learning her weaknesses and secrets before our inevitable betrayal.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




I just want to ask her if giving up all her future tributes/companions was worth it.

Actually I suspect the Duchess is dead and whatever's in her palace taking people is running on autopilot.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.


Or the scary lady is the duchess.

Interesting all the other bodies were cleared up but we were left alone.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


dont be mean to me posted:

I just want to ask her if giving up all her future tributes/companions was worth it.

Actually I suspect the Duchess is dead and whatever's in her palace taking people is running on autopilot.

She was on her two yearly vacation at the beach. I'm gone for three days and look what happens.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


dont be mean to me posted:

I just want to ask her if giving up all her future tributes/companions was worth it.

Actually I suspect the Duchess is dead and whatever's in her palace taking people is running on autopilot.

I see someone reads his Pratchett. +1 XP!

(This game does not use XP, but I like to give out bonus XP anyways.)

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008



AA

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

1. A
2. D

InViolentAgreement
Sep 26, 2014


A dear family member died today. We shall Bring our anger and grief to bear on the one who did nothing.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


Sorry updates have been delayed; have been smacked about the guts and nethers by illness. Will count, post update later today or tomorrow at the latest, depending on sickness' course.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!


At the funeral pyre, you said a prayer for the souls of the deceased, that Muran would keep them and watch over them - adding in an extra line, as an afterthought, that they DID die trying to serve Her.

Back in the here and now, you lift the heavy not-stone ring, and slam it with all the force you can muster against the door. It hits the door with a heavy clang, and the door rattles in it's frame from the force of your blow. The darkness within you surges along your limbs, and you can feel the strength. You also find yourself feeling colder, and slightly thirsty.

The door opens slowly, and standing there is the girl that heard the call of Muran the day that you left to seek your Name. She's wearing a strange, frilly garment made of some kind of strange black cloth. It's shiny, like the not-rocks you've seen the Stranger and the woman wear, but it's definitely a lot softer. In the humid air of the swamp, it looks like it'd be quite heavy and hot, but the girl isn't sweating. Her brown eyes stare, glazed and unfocused, right through you.

Without speaking, she swings the door wide without apparent effort - it's a heavy door, and she's the same size and looks to be the same age as she was when she was called. Then she steps aside, giving you easy access to the hallway beyond.

You can see a dark hallway, made of the same stone as the rest of the Manor, leading inwards to a larger room. A door, made of the same wood as the outer door, is closed along one of the inside walls of the hallway. There is no sound from within once the door is opened, and the air inside smells musty - as if there's been no wind inside the Manor for years. There's a faint hint of something that smells really good in there, too - you can't quite place the scent, but it makes your mouth go dry and your thirst stronger.

The girl moves, slowly sweeping one hand to point towards the large room, but she still says nothing. Her gaze has not moved from it's fixed stare directly in front of her.
1. It seems that you're invited in. What do you do?
A. I walk carefully towards the larger room.
B. A, but I make a detour to the door in the hallway.
C. I wait here.
D. I try to engage the girl in conversation.
E. I decide not to accept, and depart.
F. Fill in.

Feel free to elaborate on additional minor actions you want to take, with the major course of action you vote for. As I'm sure you've noticed, where possible, I try to integrate as many amendments and suggestions on additional actions as possible into your actions.
You are carrying one small stone knife in your left hand. Your spear seems to have vanished between when you collapsed and when you awoke.

FrozenGoldfishGod fucked around with this message at Nov 22, 2017 around 18:17

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


D, snap our fingers in front of the girls face. If there's no response muss up her hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005




A, it's impolite to keep your god waiting.

  • Locked thread
«33 »