Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A

Duchess is badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What, exactly, makes her a badass?

She's had to phone a friend for a lackey to punish her own townfolk!

She can command enough respect that some fucker will just murder an entire town for her. That and she ices her own guys like it ain't no thang.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
1. B
2. BBCCG

Stealth magician who speaks words into the mind.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
B
C

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
1. Confused more than anything, what about my status has changed to cause this?

2. C.1

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AJ_Impy posted:

C in the style of B

Yeah this, presumably we can both be stealthy and sense at the same time?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
E

Gaze into the insanity box.

I mean listen to the voices in our head.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
BA

Being clear that we're aware that this isn't our target, but we thought the Duchess might want us to bring him back anyway.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Question the monster: What did the man you ate look like?

He could be lying about all of this after all.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
A

Going to need all the favour we can get with the Duchess for her to accept this poo poo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Mr. Nemo posted:

I don't know if I feel angry about us calling him Mr. Srpinkles.

I assumed we were going to be honest with the Duchess. "This dude killed the servant, but he seems cool, so whatever"

A.

Yeah this is what I was assuming, unless he can perfectly replicate the servant he killed. Even then I probably wouldn't try that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Clearly she knows, so let's just tell the truth.

F. Tell her Mr. Sprinkles ate the servant, so we've fulfilled (the spirit of) our orders, we brought back the (remains of the) servant.

I agree with this course of action.

F

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
B

What were we expected to do when Mr. Sprinkles ate the servant?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
B
A

How the hell were we even meant to know it was beneath us. Until we can find a way to gauge power we have no means by which we can know what's dangerous and what isn't. Aaah!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Have you ever tried to gauge your power relative to anything (other than Sudone)?

I don't know? Were we trained to do that?

Start trying to compare relative power and learn it as a skill

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Ask Mr. Sprinkles what the red liquid is and why we feel the need to drink it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
If I drink a lot of it and then am unable to for a long time, will I suffer negative consequences?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
A, A

Vampirism doesn't seem too bad.

FFGGJ

To be able to get back at the Duchess we'll need friends and influence.

And I see no problem with listening to the insanity box some more.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
1. B
2. B - I plan on doing as I'm told so that when I overthrow the Duchess these people are bound to me instead.
3. F - With a caveat that I'll leave my boat a day's walk away from the village and appear to walk in despite the fact that I actually haven't

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Mr. Nemo posted:

1.B
2.B, but we burn, or otherwise destroy if we can't hide the smoke, and sink the boat. Don't want to leave it there as evidence of our deception. Their god or someone of their people might find it and use it do discredit us.

Yeah this.

I don't think she noticed us either, which is good. But she can feel our emotions which is interesting. I suspect either we'll have to find a way to shield them or use that as a method of deception down the line.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Ralith posted:

AB, hide the boat

Man, now I wonder if maybe we shouldn't be so anti-Duchess after all.

Like, I don't feel like I can hate her that much any more.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
A

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Awwww! :blush: You guys are a huge part of what makes this game so fun! I literally have no idea what's going to happen next, thanks to you crazy bastards, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Just to add to this, I'm really enjoying this game because not only is it really well written and intriguing, but also because it's smaller. As a result it feels like it's much easier to have an impact on the overall narrative, which I really like.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Nettle Soup posted:

One listen false comes to messengers who for our they will messengers lead speak your well with astray for you to they on your come our sorrow beware behalf.

ACA

ACA

Not saying you're wrong but how did you come to this?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
What was the bargain you struck with the Duchess?

I figure with this question we can either confirm that he's Naman or begin to know if the Duchess is lying.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

"I agreed to serve her, and lead others in her service and worship, in exchange for protection for myself, Orra, and our unborn child. She added a stipulation that if any among her worshippers were Chosen, that I would immediately send them to her. But when you were Chosen..." He falls silent, and hangs his head. "Orra, Sudone and I were all Chosen. I knew what that life promised for you, and I wanted to spare you that pain if I could. Alas, that I could not."

A

I'm honestly pretty convinced by this.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Can we opt to try to control one or two of the zombies?

If we try it with a small number will we be able to multitask and fight them?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

You are not sure; the one time you've actually tried it before, someone much more powerful than you was controlling them. And unlike Paradise Lost, you are not only not forbidden to experiment, it is downright encouraged!

You can try to only grab one or two of them if you want, though the difference in cost will be negligible. Sudone could both control a swarm of these things, and both fight and use her powers fully - so it's certainly possible to multitask while doing it.

Second question, can we detect if someone else is controlling them without trying to control them?

Basically I'm ambivalent about how we kill them and more concerned about knowing if they're being controlled.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
What's interesting is that we can cast spells but aren't initiated.

I'm unsure of how to phrase a question around that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

A while ago posted:

You are highly skilled at armed melee combat, and at manipulating others with your words, as well as seeing through others' manipulations. You are quite skilled with stealth, handling boats, and hunting for food, though you haven't had much opportunity to practice those last two. Your control over your powers is considerably increased, and your magical knowledge is decent, as far as you can tell, though the Duchess has hinted that your learning is limited by your lack of 'initiation', whatever that means. You still hear the whispers, but can only rarely make out individual words when they speak to you

Huh. That's interesting.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
1. A

3. A

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Yeah, so, quick note on game mechanics: I tend to 'fast-forward' through fights that won't be a significant threat to you - for example, unless Gotril is crippled, exhausted, or starving, or in some similar state, a small group of the normal Dead just won't be a threat to her any more - so I'll let you guys pick a weapon, approach, and just go with that. On fights like this one, where the opponent(s) could be a significant threat, I'll basically simulate the fight until there's an opportunity for Gotril to take a breath and change her tactics. Depending on the exact circumstances, this might include using powers, changing fighting style, or even switching weapons. Each opportunity for change will be a full update and vote.

In short: On fights where the outcome is in doubt, you'll get the chance to change tactics and activate/deactivate powers every time Gotril gets the opportunity.

In that case.

B
B
C

We start out cagey and if things get tougher we bust out higher and higher Kaioken channelling multipliers until we win.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

B Use the Kaioken attack

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
ABA

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think we need to drink the blood because Kaioken drained us pretty hard, we might have to fight this manifestation and I'd want to be at full power for it.

A, A, E

There was a time where I wanted only to kill the Duchess, but I don't hate her as much any more after spying on her.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

McSpanky posted:

Oh yeah, we BAD

Not saying don't drink the blood, but maybe not right now in front of everyone like a starving vampire (even though we might actually be a starving vampire).

E: write in: lick the sword if mystical combat with the boar god seems imminent

Oh yeah, I like that.

Changing my vote on 1. to B with the write in.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Ambivalent, but definitely lick the blade.

Purely because it would look badass.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AJ_Impy posted:

1A

This changes everything. That bitch tried to get us to commit patricide.

2A

So send her back to hell.

There's more to this than we're seeing right now.

Even in the worst case it's to our benefit to undermine the Duchess from the inside. And we know for certain from last time that she's monitoring us. I'm still unsure if she can monitor our actual words though, but I'd be unwilling to risk it.

We know that we're prepping a potential betrayal. There's no reason to do anything to give that away right now. I doubt our dad will hate us so much that they won't see reason during the attack.

B We mention that we entered the Duchess' service and that she's been training us and has treated us well. Beyond that no more otherwise we might compromise our plan.

The second decision is an odd one.

C and E are the real answers, but we should answer D because it leaves the lowest chance of us being compromised.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
1. Write in: Our plan is to tell the Duchess, aid her and then betray her at the most dramatically appropriate moment.

2. B

3. C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Patrick Spens posted:

CBA

Am I the only one here who likes the duchess?

No, I really do like her. I just think we serve ourselves better by betraying her in the end. Equally I really hope our plan isn't to just openly and obviously ally with her opponents. She's been shown to be able to monitor our behaviour and I think it's likely that she can listen to what we say. We serve ourselves best by remaining in deep cover and then figuring out how to gently caress her up later on.

Additionally I think it would be cool to learn a little more about her, which is a cool side benefit of doing that.

• Locked thread