Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Locked thread
CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010


Alexandra Ross - Gate Room

She picks up the pack, grunting a bit, and settles it on her shoulders. A few experimental steps show that she can handle the load - barely.

"Ah, if someone could take my toolbox, I'd be grateful. You have my permission to blow raspberries at me afterward if I don't end up using it."

Dr. Ross smiles apologetically at the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003



SG-13 - Gate Room
"Chevron 7 is locked!"

The gate opens with a roar, and then settles into a glittering pool of water suspended in a ring. The event horizon of the wormhole. The awe of stepping through a wormhole to travel light-years across the galaxy settles into each of your souls. McGriddles whines quietly, but follows Sgt. Glengarry obediently towards the Gate.

In turn, each of you walk slowly but confidently towards the Gate and step through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQe1QxHZuWg

Traversing the wormhole is a strangely senseless experience. The air suddenly changes from the warm and dry environment of the gate room to a chilly misting of rain falling from an overcast sky.

P6T-313


The gate behind you closes with a whoosh, and you find yourself standing on a stone plinth a few feet above a forest floor. Broad stone steps lead down to a small grassy meadow ringed with tall trees. Through the gaps in the canopy you can see in the distance a break in the clouds that shows a sky that is a deeper color of blue than you have ever seen on Earth.

The forest around is quiet, except for the gentle dripping of moisture from leaves and a gentle breeze rustling leaves. McGriddles sniffs the air and swivels his ears with great interest, clearly taking in all the new information and shifts anxiously next to his handler looking for reassurance or instruction. Recalling the description of the Gate-site from SG-15's report Dr. Lawry, Capt. Tash, and Lt. Grey quickly make sense of their orientation. Local "east" is to their left, and the main monitoring station should be about 5km in that direction. The forest is fairly thick, and obvious signs of their presence aren't apparent. SG-15's operating procedures would have included obscuring their presence just in case. Luckily, they left you instructions.

After a few moments, some familiar sounds return. A chirping sound floats through the air, and is answered a few seconds later. Something small rustles in the undergrowth nearby, causing McGriddles to turn his focus on whatever small thing made that noise. The alien world is eerily Earth-like. The plants and ferns look like something out of an Earth forest, though Capt. Tash notes that they are a strangely darker shade of green. Dr. Ross takes a step forward and notes that her pack, and in fact her whole body, feels just a little lighter than it did just a few moments ago.


Through the gate!

Initial Navigation checks pass, giving you a sense of direction as you step out of the Gate. Compasses work here.
A couple other skill checks note some oddities in the plants and an ever so slightly lower gravity here.

Navigating to the site is easy given the instructions. Please do take the opportunity to explore your new surroundings as you see fit.

Good luck!

El Spamo fucked around with this message at Dec 16, 2016 around 19:24

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Michael Grey - P6T-313 Gate

Mike moves down the steps, and takes a kneeling position facing "west", with the rifle readied, he scans the what he presumes will be the squads six. The captain hadn't mentioned a march order, but Mike expected the sergeants to take the lead, which left Mike to watch for hostiles coming in behind the squad.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Jacob Glengarry - P6T-313 Gate

McGriddles may have been nervous going through the gate, but the roles were slightly reversed once they arrived planetside. As soon as the pup perked up, Jake's attention was riveted. "What'cha got, boy?" It might be nothing, and dogs are wont to explore new areas, but even a space squirrel is worth noting and cataloging. No tugging thus far, but he's got his hand on the short leash. "Leisurely stroll, or double-quick, Cap?"

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011


Dr. George Milton - P6T-313

George takes a minute or two to compose himself as he arrives planetside. "Well, that'll take some getting used to," he mutters under his breath.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007


Cybernetic Crumb

Kurt Tash - P6T-313 Gate

Kurt takes a moment to compose himself after coming through the gate, admiring the too green trees, noting how clean the air smells, and musing about how much this place looks like the Pacific northwest. After the sounds of nature start back up, however, he shakes himself out of his reverie.

"Alright everyone, take a moment to admire the trees and breathe in that new planet air, but then we move out. We've log a long walk ahead of us and as tempting as it is to spend time checking out the trees I can tell you that after five clicks of marching through that," Kurt gestures at the thick undergrowth to the east, "the novelty of the new forest is going to wear out fast. When we get to base camp we can spend some more time looking at nature if people want.

I've got point, Sergeants Glengarry and McGriddles on me, then Lieutenant Lawry, Dr Ross, Dr Milton, and Lieutenant Milton will watch our six. We're moving out in five."

I'll spend a couple minutes prior to departure checking the area for any signs that anyone has been through here since SG-15. Tracking is 17 + 2 for acute vision if you want to make a roll for something.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

He's just using space travel as a metaphor for beating his wife.

Dinosaur Gum

Jo Lawry - P6T-313 Gate

Jo stands for a moment on the ground before the gate, staring a the forest before them. Just a few steps had taken her past a hundred stars and onto another planet. After a moment, she remembers to start breathing again.

She circles the camp as well, and gives a brief 'Yes sir' to Kurt's orders. She fishes her compass out of her pack and keeps its loop on her wrist. The plants get a once-over as she wanders, instinctively comparing them to what she's seen at home. Not much to see here, otherwise - beyond the fact that she is here, somehow.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010


Alexandra Ross - P6T-313 Gate

Another planet. Doctor Alexandra Ross is standing on a lush landscape in a different solar system. She gazes at the forest and the camp, not quite in shock, but certainly reacting with her gut emotions. Then she hears Tash's direction.

"Move out?" she echoes. "Oh, yeah. Sure."

She takes several moments to come back to herself, and starts looking at the area with a more analytical eye, getting ready to act rather than observe.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Jacob Glengarry - P6T-313 Gate

"Solid copy, Cap." New environment or no, there was a job to do. Weapon on the level, he trusts the Master Sergeant to take the cue and follow. A quick whistle should be a good reminder, just in case.

Would a rolling Observation check be in order, or would that come up as necessary? Likewise with Handle Animal - I assume McGriddles is trained well enough to keep to, but the novelty of a new environment could wind up overwhelming.

Observation 13 with Acute Vision 1 if needed.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at Dec 17, 2016 around 21:56

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011


Dr. George Milton - P6T-313 Gate

"Will do," Milton replies. As the group travel, he keeps a close eye out for any trouble.

I suspect as necessary. Perception 12 (14 to hear stuff); not trained in observation though.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003



SG-13 - P6T-313 Gate

The team mills around briefly as everyone gets their bearings and finds their feet on a new world. The lighter gravity is more of a quirky feeling than anything of an advantage, and the weight of the packs quickly reasserts itself.

Dr. Ross does a wandering circuit around the gate and spots a worn gap in the brush and on the ground to the west of the gate, like a game trail or a very old path. Dr. Milton looks over at Dr. Ross and sees the same thing that she paused to look at. Capt. Tash notices their interest in the shrubbery and walks over to where they spotted something. Looking around, Capt. Tash notices thatthe worn spot on the ground and size of the gap in the brush was made by human or humanoid passage. Doesn't look like it's seen recent use, but the little piece of a path been used enough times in its existence to make permanent long-term marks.

Lawry, Grey, and Glengarry form up and wait for the scientists and Captain to finish their stroll around the gate. McGriddles sniffs around and takes a circuit of his own. On the west side of the gate, he perks up and sniffs the ground furiously searching for something. Suddenly, he finds a scent he recognizes and alerts. Sgt Glengarry whistles him back to his side and McGriddles bounds back to his handler, but continues to stare off to the west.


Spotting:
Dr. Ross - Success
Dr. Milton - Success
Capt Tash - Success
McGriddles Success (Smell)

I didn't ask what McGriddles' alert is, probably sitting or a quiet bark? He might not be even trained for that yet, but he does have tracking so he'd probably know how to act when finds something interesting.
He is a good dog and will stay by your side, Animal Handling is necessary if you want him to do something specific. Otherwise he'll act on his own initiative.

Hopefully the spoilers make sense in context! Dr. Ross, Milton, and Capt. Tash got something interesting from their rolls.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

He's just using space travel as a metaphor for beating his wife.

Dinosaur Gum

Josephine Lawry - SG-13 - P6T-313 Gate

Jo walks up to Jacob. "Nice place, I guess," she says, nodding toward the woods. "The Master Sergeant all right? I don't know if I'm over that transition yet, myself. He find something he's interested in?"

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

I'd imagine a quiet bark/dig for curiosities, a liedown/whimper for danger. Also, sorry for the delay! I was on a work trip, but I'm back for the holidays.

Jacob Glengarry - P6T-313

Jake tilts his head to the good Doctor. "Weird. You'd think with all the new sights, sounds, and smells, he wouldn't recognize anything."

Piping up, he voices his concern to the lead. "Just a moment, Cap - McGriddles noticed something, and that both surprises and worries me. This might be worth following before the trail goes cold."

Crouching with the pup, he points back over to the area. "Smell something? What'cha got, pup?" Trotting back over with him, he keeps his eyes peeled while he lets the Master Sergeant do his thing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007


Cybernetic Crumb

Kurt Tash - P6T-313 Gate

"Yeah, we should probably make sure we aren't going to have any surprises from behind, so that's worth checking out. I still want to make it to the outpost tonight, so let's make this a quick recon."

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003



SG-13 - West of the P6T-313 Gate
The team organizes quickly to investigate the anomaly nearby the gate. Captain Tash takes point with McGriddles sniffing the ground. The brush conceals a small swale that is easly accessed through the gap that was spotted by the group. The undergrowth is thick, but in one direction along the swale is strangely clear of heavy obstructions. Thicker brush and the odd fallen log and branch make any other path here difficult. McGriddles sniffs along the ground back and forth with great interest, searching for a scent that is hard to find. A good dog never gives up, and he tracks ahead a dozen yards along the path before turning suddenly and jumping up the side of the swale opposite of the side that the group entered.

The group moves forward cautiously, ready for the unexpected. The forest is quiet and there are no sudden sounds indicating trouble. McGriddles woofs quietly, waiting for the group to catch up to him. At the point of the turn, the team finds a more obvious sign of passage. A conveniently placed rock makes a step up the side of the swale, and then ahead a clearer path can be seen. It snakes off into the forest, its destination obscured by trees. It's old and infrequently used by the wear, and the environment is wet enough to obscure any clear signs of who or what has used it and is barely distinguishable from the mossy ground, but the sensitive dog nose detected a scent that he thought important enough to follow.

Captain Tash crouches down on the path to consider his next move. As he does, he notices an old bootprint made in some mud and protected from the elements by a spray of leaves. A bootprint that is clearly not a U.S. Air Force boot. A bootprint that belongs to Jaffa.


A path! Where does it go? Very mysterious.

Sorry to put more on you Captain, but you've got a good tracking roll (passed by 8) and you can also talk.
McGriddles spotted an alien squirrel, stayed on task but lost the scent.

Feel free to make other rolls for skills you'd like to use. I'll usually roll your perception and sudden-event skills but if you want to use some particular expertise please state (and roll) as such. There is no penalty for an unnecessary roll.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Jacob Glengarry - West of the P6T-313 Gate

Stepping up to the Master Sergeant, he looks a little confused. "Lost the scent? No big deal - can't win 'em all." With a quick hand motion, he brings McGriddles to his side once more. "Sorry about that, Cap - it's all a learning process..." Trailing off as he notices Tash crouching, he tilts his head. "Ready to move when you are, sir."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

He's just using space travel as a metaphor for beating his wife.

Dinosaur Gum

Josephine Lawry - West of the P6T-313 Gate

"An entire planet full of new smells," Jo says, grinning. "If I was a pup I'd be passing out from sensory overload, so I'd say he's doing pretty good." She looks at Tash. "What do you think, Cap'n? Can we check it out? I can take point, it's probably just a deer path." She pauses. "Or deer-like alien path."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007


Cybernetic Crumb

Sorry, been out of town for the holidays

Kurt Tash - Quaint Jaffa trail P6T-313

"Not deer unfortunately, not exclusively anyway. This trail has been used by Jaffa in the not too distant past," Kurt points at the boot print. "Looks like this has become a recon mission, we need to determine if this was just a random Jaffa scouting mission, or if the Goa'uld have an active presence here that the SGC needs to know about. This path is well traveled, so we'll follow this and see where it leads.

Sergeant Glengarry, this trail is fairly old but see if McGriddles can get a scent. Everyone else keep your eyes open, try to keep as silent as possible, and let's see what the Jaffa were up to. I'd like to get some useful information before our first checkin."

Note: I'm assuming we have some scheduled checkins like they regularly did on the show, where the SGC dials the planet and sees what's going on. Can I tell how old the tracks are?

Kurt will wait a moment to see if anyone has any concerns, then follow the trail in the direction the boot prints were headed looking for any other signs as he goes. Tracking: 3d6 14 vs 19 target

e: While I'm at it, does this seem to be a game trail, or an actual human(oid) beaten path? Not sure which is more relevant, so Path ID (Survival): 3d6 5 vs 15
Path ID (Naturalist): 3d6 11 vs 13

Azhais fucked around with this message at Dec 29, 2016 around 20:43

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003



Tracking roll received, I think everyone's doing the holiday thing. Look for the update mid-week next week once everyone's well into the 2017 saddle. Happy New Year!

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010


Alexandra Ross - West of P6T-313 Gate

She's about to quip "We've got company?" when Tash advises them to keep quiet; given that the phrase only moderately matches the situation, perhaps it's just as well. Dr. Ross tries to see what she can see as they proceed down the path, but she's also quite aware that this is not where her talents lie, so her expectations are low. She wonders to herself -- is my part in this going to be routine, or will I be managing data transfers while the rest of them are shooting?

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Jacob Glengarry - West of P6T-313 Gate

With a quick nod, he kneels by the indicated track. Motioning to the pup, he holds his fingertips near to the bootprint, his voice hushed. "How 'bout this? Got anything?" Tilting his head, he keeps his eyes and ears open - they're walking toward the danger now, and that's where he comes in. "Everyone form up, nice and close and quiet. If you see anything, you let me know, ok?"

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

He's just using space travel as a metaphor for beating his wife.

Dinosaur Gum

Josephine Lawry - West of P6T-313 Gate

"You got it," Jo mutters as she sticks close to the others. "Guess I'm not on point." She keeps her eyes peeled, feeling a little distracted thanks to the strangeness of the surroundings - she had been hoping for a leisurely walk to the next site just to get used to the place. And the feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Per 15: 11 in case there's something to see

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003



SG-13 - West of P6T-313 Gate

The team organizes and sets out along the path in their marching order. The path winds its way through the woods and climbs slightly up the hillside. Tendrils of mist drift through the treetops, and the local sun remains obscured behind the clouds overhead.

The path itself becomes more distinct the further you go, as though the Jaffa were more careless about leaving a mark in the landscape farther from the gate. Plenty of animal droppings are found by McGriddles as he sniffs the ground, but he stays focused on the scent of Jaffa that he picked up before. That tells Captain Tash that it's likely more of a game trail than a foot path at present, and has been that way for weeks at least. This is reinforced by a muddy smear on his pants from a small pile of critter pellets he knelt in while pausing the march to observe and listen to their immediate surroundings.

The Drs. make observations of the area as they go along. Dr. Ross notes that the plant life and high humidity would be murderous on any equipment left around here. Goa'uld technology is known for its durability if nothing else. Milton's mind wanders more towards what kind of inhabitants might have been placed here. Unlike the arid landscape of Abydos this planet's Gate area is lush and vibrant and very much at odds with many of the motifs in Egyptology. Lawry's eyes kept being drawn to the forest around her. The situation at the moment was serious, but the alien biodiversity sitting right in front of her demanded attention. As she scans the undergrowth for signs of Jaffa presence, an eight-legged sticklike insect crawls along a leaf and extends two of its legs out as if reaching out in supplication. Tiny droplets of dew collect on invisible filaments between the insect's legs, and then with a sudden closure of the two legs the insect captures the water and trundles on.

"Sir!" calls Lt. Grey. Lt. Grey points off to one side of the path, indicating a gap in the trees. Up ahead a few hundred yards and perched on a ridge poking through the canopy is a slender metallic tower of Goa'uld design. Golden stone plating on either side protects a cluster of needle-like antennae. The surroundings remain quiet and unthreatening.


----
A Goa'uld object is spotted. Perception checks note no threats. It has been ~1 hour and ~4km.
Tash/Azhais, the trail is human-made but old and animals LOVE not having to work to make their own trails.

hectorgrey, Mykkel, sorry for posting ahead of you but I figure we'd get moving.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Jacob Glengarry - Goa'uld Object Clearing

Lots of temptation. Lots of new smells. One good dog moving past the distractions and with his schnoz on the prize. Good boy.
Looking on the device pointed out, he chuckles a little. "Looks like they've got the same idea we did. At least, I'd hope so."

Does McGriddles stop with the rest of us, or does he indicate that the trail's still warm elsewhere? Kinda determines what my next step's going to be.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003



SG-13 - West of P6T-313 Gate

McGriddles looks back at his handler and sniffs the ground again and whuffs. He hasn't lost the key scent, but stays with the team.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Michael Grey - West of P6T-313 Gate

"I think maybe we might want to get off this trail, sir. No idea what that tower's purpose is, but there is a non-zero chance that it monitors for Gate activity, which means if there are Goa'uld on planet still, they could be headed this way, on this trail. "


Michael has been trying to hide signs of the squad moving on the trail. Camoflage 3d6 11 vs 13.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Jacob Glengarry - Goa'uld Object Clearing

Jake tilts his head. "Good work getting us this far, boy." Looking to his CO, he chimes in. "Master Sergeant's still got the scent. Break, or continue, sir?" Taking a few steps further on the trail, he posts up, waiting for further orders.

Keeping a close eye on the trail. Bugs notwithstanding. Observation 13 vs 13

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011


Dr. George Milton

Milton continues to keep an ear out for trouble, as his thoughts drift towards Ancient Egypt. While much of Egypt was arid, then as now, the Nile delta was a comparatively lush landscape in those days; providing food, grapes for wine and a surprising amount of greenery, some of which still survives to this day. Same with the banks; hence why the Egyptians believed that life came from the Nile. Still, he could only imagine how people used to desert and grasslands would react to seeing a forest - and indeed the much cooler weather. Still, as he understands things, the Goa'uld posed as the gods of several civilisations, and the ruins - the bit he's really interested in - didn't appear Goa'uld in origin in the briefing materials...

No worries; there wasn't a great deal for me to really do anyway - hence the extra detail of his train of thought.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007


Cybernetic Crumb

Kurt Tash - West of P6T-313 Gate

"That's a fair point Lieutenant. Given the age of the trail this tower likely pre-dates SG-15's arrival on planet so if it was being actively monitored I suspect SG-15 would have seen some sign of things, but there's no point taking unnecessary risks standing in the open. We'll do a quick sweep of the ridge to make sure there are no unpleasant surprises waiting for us, then we'll set up watch near the trail while the doctors see if they can figure out what that tower is doing out here. I have a hard time imagining the Goa'uld just setting up weather monitoring stations, so we need to figure out what they are looking for and, if there are access logs, how often they look for it. Be just our luck to get here during a monthly data retrieval."

Kurt will make ready to head off trail, and will also attempt to keep an accurate map of their path going in his journal to make it easier for any future teams to locate the tower again if need be.

Mapping the path to the monitoring station: 3d6 5 vs 13 (Cartography)
Stealth (Station West of Gate): 3d6 9 vs 10

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

He's just using space travel as a metaphor for beating his wife.

Dinosaur Gum

Jo Lawry - West of P6T-313 Gate

"What tamper-proofing do we do on our stations?" Jo wonders aloud. "I figure they must be at least as careful."

"Sir, do you want an observer watching the station and keeping in touch with the others, the ones approaching it?" she asks Tash. "It might be difficult watching what's going on at the station when you're deep in the trees. Just a thought."

Does Stargate add any countermeasures to their monitoring stations?

My suggestion would apply to anyone with Observation, or with good Per, I guess.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003



The SGC tries to hide equipment rather than install any active countermeasures. Or do you mean the Goa'uld? They're fond of traps.

The current plan I hear is for Glengarry, Tash, and Grey to watch the trail while Ross, Lawry, and Milton approach the tower.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007


Cybernetic Crumb

El Spamo posted:

The SGC tries to hide equipment rather than install any active countermeasures. Or do you mean the Goa'uld? They're fond of traps.

The current plan I hear is for Glengarry, Tash, and Grey to watch the trail while Ross, Lawry, and Milton approach the tower.


Mostly. Sweep the area, make sure there are no ambushes then hit the tower. I'd likely look to split us up into two person teams. Grey/Tash on the trail, Glengarry/Lawry on the other side of the tower clearing (if there is one, sounded like it was in the trees) to make sure nothing approaches from behind/be closer for support of the tower people if need be (i.e. there's a trap and medical is needed or the tower is all biological data that Lawry should look at), Ross/Milton on tower duty.

e: Note that I will generally defer to Glengarry if he has opinions on site security

Azhais fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2017 around 18:24

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

If the plan's to stick around, Jacob will start coordinating site security and make the initial approach, with McGriddles checking for explosives. Wasn't clear as to whether we were going to continue following the scent, or if we're breaking from that track to investigate.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010


Alexandra Ross - West of P6T-313 Gate

The climate here seems to be taxing on artificial materials; Dr. Ross starts running through equipment maintenance procedures in her head, so she can start cleaning up and transmitting from the data recorders as soon as the team finds them. Heat, nitric acid, electric probe, gloves to keep me safe, da da dum...

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Assuming we're sticking at the device for now!

Jacob Glengarry - Goa'uld Device Clearing

"LT, do you mind watching our six? I'd like to do a quick sweep for explosives and make sure we don't have any unexpected surprises here."
A quick whistle ought to bring the pup to attention. Kneeling at the beginning of the clearing, he rustles McGriddles' head as he points to the device, rotating his hand to indicate the area. "Boom boom, boy? Let's go for a walk." Shouldering up, he guides the Master Sergeant through a quick patrol of the clearing, keeping an eye out for defensible positions and potential hazards.

Attempting to secure the area, but the novelty of being on a new world must be getting to him: Observation 15 vs 13

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012


Michael Grey - West of P6T-313 Gate

"Yes, Sergeant, I can handle that. " Michael attempts to tune out the quiet sounds of the squad completing the expected tasks, and focus on the trail behind them.


Perception check: 3d6 7] vs 13.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003



SG-13 - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

"Head out" says Capt. Tash and the team spreads out to approach the tower in three teams. Glengarry and Grey move to sweep the trail and surroundings and watch the group's six, while Tash and Lawry escort Ross and Milton who start to approach the tower.

Grey, Glengarry, and McGriddles begin their sweep. The canine nose presses to the ground as he searches for anything he recognizes as explosives. He tracks back and forth, pausing occasionally to give a bush or spot on the ground an intense sniff but does not alert on anything. The two humans keep a similarly sharp eye out. The sweep takes them around the Goa'uld tower, and only takes them ten minutes or so to confirm that the area is clear of hostiles. It is in fact, remote and very quiet, and aside from the path that leads up to the tower there are no other signs of humanoid passage. Glengarry has McGriddles sweep the approach to the tower and comes up with nothing dangerous. Confident that the area is secure, the two return to the approach to the tower and set up a watch. Grey sweeps up the few signs of the team's presence and settles into a hidden little nook with a good view down the path.

Captain Tash and Dr. Lawry get the all-clear from the dog-sweep and move in on the tower with Ross and Milton. The pathway follows the crest of a flattish ridge that the tower is perched on. A few trees have been cleared back from the tower by a half dozen yards, and the tower itself pokes up above the treetops. Tash and Lawry stop and kneel on either side of the path at the edge of the tower clearing while Ross and Milton look over the installation.

The tower is made of the Goa'uld gold stone-metal that most of their construction is made of. It's approximately 30 feet high with a broad circular base about 10 feet high and narrowing into a thin spire reaching just above the treetops with an array of antennas and detection devices, some that look directional and are pointed back to the east. The tower is silent and some creepers and moss are working their way up the sides. A doorway is present on the side facing the team, and a small control panel is next to it.

Dr. Milton walks a bit closer and checks some of the Goa'uld symbols on the side. His grasp of the Goa'uld written language isn't strong enough to read any, but he does recognize the Egyptian representation of Sekhmet. Dr. Ross's visual inspection of the control panel suggests to her that it is active, and probably bypassable. She could break into it without too much work.


----
Went with Tash's lineup, slightly modified as other folks indicated their actions would be. The sweep of the area is complete, no traps or ambushes, and no company is present.

Glengarry and Grey are covering the rear, Lawry and Tash are escorting, and Ross and Milton are inspecting the tower. I defaulted to the conservative action of a visual inspection of things.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011


George Milton

"Interesting - there's a depiction of Sekhmet here; might give us some idea of who we may end up dealing with. She was a war goddess in Egyptian mythology - often called the Daughter of Ra," Milton says, his voice trailing off a little as he suddenly realises what he's saying.

OOC: Given I just rolled a 3, is it OK if I give a bunch of information off of Sekhmet's wikipedia page?
Egyptology roll for information about Sekhmet (14): 3d6 3

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003



schwa, yeah go nuts! Any future inconsistencies just chalk it up to alien vs. Myth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011


George Milton

"Well, I say often; some myths also call her the daughter of Horus, but then some myths call Horus and Ra the same god," Milton adds quickly. "Still, her cult in ancient Egypt was very important; even moving location when the capital of Egypt moved at the beginning of the twelfth dynasty. Given that Earth was one of Ra's planets, it would make sense that one of his more important underlings - or offspring - would also be here. She was commonly depicted with the head of a lioness, and tamed lions could be found in her temples. Lions are basically just big cats - could that be the kind of smell the Master Sergeant recognised earlier?"

  • Locked thread
«8 »