Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Josephine Lawry - SGC Base Camp P6T-313

Jo stays low, moving through the brush as best she can - nevertheless stepping on several of last year's dried poplar leaves in the process. It had been years since she had been doing this, it would take a little time before she would stop letting her nerves get the better of her.

Stealth vs 11: 13 Sure hope I get some bonuses here.

Jo will find a good spot as far as the LT gets us, fanned out, and start aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
You guys are a pretty good distance away, FYI ~400m or so

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Also, it is Kurt and Jacob up in the combat round

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Is McGriddles still in transit? What's he doing?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Yes, he has 3 more rounds of closure to cover the 50 yards.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - hillside

My actions however you want to handle it:

1) Is our current location considered decent cover if that guy gets his staff aimed at us? If yes Kurt is going to yell down at Pasko with some sort of universal "get out of there!" hanwave and aim at the active Jaffa. Will continue aiming until Pasko is clear or some other target becomes available, like either the downed Jaffa recovering or the other one we heard showing up, in which case he'll switch targets and fire. Stick to 3 round bursts for now.

As the opportunity arises I'll keep the people on the radio apprised of the current situation however it ends up playing out above.

And, as it was always useful in my 40k pbps:

code:
HP 13/13 FP 11/11
Str 10 Dex 13 Int 13 HT 11 Will 12 Per 15 (Vision 17) Fright 12 Speed 6 Move 4 Dodge 8 
Armor 2 Eye,Face 14 Skull 5 Torso, Groin

Potentially relevant skills/talents:
Escape 14-          First Aid 13-       Judo 8-
Leadership 14-      Soldier 12-         Fearlessness 1

Colt M4A1 (Rifles 15-)
Damage 4d+2pi Acc 4 Range 750/2900 Rof 15 Rcl 2 Bulk -4 Ammo 28/31

Grenade, Frag (Throwing 12-)
Damage 8d cr ex

H&K USP .40 (Pistol 13-)
Damage 2d+2pi Acc 2 Range 160/1800 Rof 3 Rcl 2 Bulk -1 Ammo 14/14
How do you want to handle rolling in a situation like this? Just toss out a bunch of just in case ones here, or are you just going to handle it (which I'm fine with for speed). I'll likely just fire for a random location unless it becomes needful to fire with people in close quarters, in which case I'll aim at torsos in particular if if open just for less randomness in my friendly fire.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Yes, you are definitely close enough to Pasko to yell.
Remember, he speaks space-russian and Goa'uld. You and Jacob speak neither. So, ah... make a case for that message.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Yikes, sorry, just opened up a show at the local theater here. We had a great opening weekend! Will update shortly.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - Scouting party - hillside

Kurt shouts at Pasko from his position. "Move! Clear out! Dammit, move!" However, the hunter's blood is up and he does not retreat from his fight. Instead he continues to cling to the Jaffa's back, driving the knife into his neck. The Jaffa throws his elbow back, catching Pasko in the ribs and dislodging the knife. Pasko stabs and stabs again but the Jaffa lands another heavy blow to Pasko's gut, winding him and nearly shaking the hunter off. Pasko grits his teeth and pushes past the pain and shock of being hit with an armored elbow, and brings the knife down once more. This time, he hits something important and the Jaffa immediately goes limp.

Pasko rolls off the Jaffa, gasping for air. The other Jaffa groans and holds his ruined arm while the other Jaffa bleeds out on the forest floor.

SG-13 - SGC Base Camp P6T-313: +6.5hr on planet
The group hears Kurt's updates over the radio. The Jaffa are in bad shape, but so is Pasko.

----
Jacob & Kurt aim for 3x rounds

Round 1
Jaffa Elite Conciousness roll: 3d6 9 Pass
Jaffa Elite Elbow strike: 3d6 9 Hit
Jaffa Elite damage: 1d6 1 lol

Jaffa Goon Conciousness roll: 3d6 15 Zzzzzz

Pasko: AoA(Double) Neck stab: 2#3d6 12 11 Miss, Miss

Round 2
Jaffa Elite Conciousness roll: 3d6 7
Jaffa Elite Elbow strike (AoA Strong): 3d6 9 Hit
Jaffa Elite damage: 1d6+2 6 Oof

Jaffa Goon Conciousness roll: 3d6 13 Zzzzzz

Pasko: AoA(Determined) Neck stab: 3d6 8 Hit!
Pasko: Damage: 1d6-1 4x2(imp)=8

Jaffa Elite HT vs Major wound Knockdown/Stun: 3d6 6 Pass
Jaffa Elite HT vs Dying: 3d6 13 welp

Behold, the rapid brutality of a knife fight. Remember to wear your helmet kids.
You have clear shots on either Jaffa, both of which are pretty wrecked. No sign of the other one.

If an invalid roll gets made, just ignore it, it happens sometimes. I'll help by rolling for speed's sake, when I don't have show openings and all :). There's no functional difference in aiming center-of-mass and random hit locations when firing into a situation where you could hit the wrong target (i.e. close combat). If you miss, the miss may have hit the other person as if you were firing blindly through their location or hex. So don't miss, aiming is great!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Jacob Glengarry - hiding on the hillside

With a low whistle after seeing Pasko's takedown through the ironsights, Jacob reassesses the situation. One down, one maimed, and the pup on suppression, a snapped "Griddles! Cap! Cap!" should hopefully let him know that it's takedown time. Crouching at the top of the hill, he swaps to his taser. "Cap'n, if it's no trouble, I'm all for securing the live one. Let the guys back home squeeze what they can." Checking out the immediate scene, he advances on the scene to secure weaponry and prisoners.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - SGC Base Camp P6T-313

"Oh good," Jo mutters as she moves towards the fight. "I'm useful." Into the comm, she says, "Cap'n, we're comin' in, sit rep on the injured?" She knows they're busy, and only half expects a response.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - hillside

"Both of the Jaffa here are down, Pasko is injured but alive, we're moving down to him to assess his status and secure the injured Jaffa. Still no sign of the other Jaffa in the woods we heard firing a staff weapon, so continue to use caution while advancing as we have at least one unaccounted for.", Kurt says over the radio as he scrambles to his feet to move down the hill.

"Sergeant, move to secure the prisoner."

I'll advance quickly down the hill while still moving from cover to cover, we don't know where any other Jaffa might be and I don't want to get caught in a clearing or something on the way down. Definitely focusing most of my attention on the surrounding woods.

Perception while advancing down the hill: 3d6 8 vs 17 visual, 15 otherwise.

Assuming we get down the hill without incident,
First aid on Pasko: 3d6 8 vs 13. I doubt I have anything more than the standard soldier's first aid kit with me, so basically just dressings.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 3, 2017

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
It warps time a little, but anyone object to the science team showing up on the scene and getting the gang back together?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
works for me

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Not a problem. Standard secure/restraint/guard dogging. Also taking a Zat for myself.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Yeah, that's fine; it probably wouldn't take us that long to get there anyway.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

works for me

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

hectorgrey posted:

Yeah, that's fine; it probably wouldn't take us that long to get there anyway.

Ditto

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
SG-13 - Hillside - +7hrs on planet
McGriddles lands on the crippled Jaffa like a cruise missile. His good arm had barely shifted towards his dropped weapons when the dog's jaws clamped over it and shook it like a rag. Even though the armor was proof against the dog's teeth, McGriddles growled and wrenched at the limb keeping the Jaffa off balance and occupied.

Kurt and Jacob make their move down from their ambush point. By the time they reach the scene Pasko is back on his feet, wheezing and holding his ribs. The helmetless Jaffa stares blankly towards the sky while the other is shaken brutally by McGriddles every time he so much as twitches. Two staff weapons and two Zat guns are here, and Jacob quickly secures them away from either Jaffa, just in case.

"Those are fearsome weapons. It would have been much harder to escape if you hadn't appeared." says Pasko, in Goa'uld.

Kurt's radio clicks. "Sir, we're in sight." comes Lt. Grey's voice. Back up the hillside Lt. Grey, George, Alex, and Dr. Lawry arrive on the scene. They quickly make their way down to the rest of the group. Pasko waves weakly, still hunched and aching. "Have you seen Hak?" he asks.

----
The gang's back together. The group is in a hollow on what looks like a trail through the forest. There is one badly wounded Jaffa and one dead Jaffa, two staff weapons and two zat guns.
No signs of other hostiles.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - Hillside

"How do you say doctor in Russian?" Jo asks as she looks over Pasko. "Vrech? Vrach?" She looks at Pasko and nods encouragingly. "Vrach. Hell, you might not even have a word for doctor. But hopefully you'll figure it out." She tries to get him to stand still while she examines him.

Diagnose versus 14: 8

Broken ribs? Anything else?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Dr. Lawry gives Pasko the once-over. He objects at first, pushing away her hands and shaking his head in confusion. Lt. Grey mutters "исцеление." which causes him to calm down and allow her to do a more complete assessment.

He'll have a massive bruise on his chest, and several ribs are definitely cracked. A couple shots from a Jaffa's elbow left him looking like he got hit by a freight train. She doesn't note anything more severe than that as internal injuries are tough to diagnose without some sort of imaging, but there's no distension or discoloration that would indicate something immediately wrong. There are also what looks like minor electrical burns on his shoulders. Once her examination is over, he leans against a nearby tree and tries to wipe off some of the Jaffa's blood.

----
He's roughed up, but won't die.
Blunt trauma to the torso, minor burns also on his torso.

Also, I am heading out on work/vacation for a couple weeks starting this coming weekend. If I can update without book access I will, but if I don't I'm running around NYC seeing the sights.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - Hillside

"Alright, this position is going to be known to the other Jaffa and it's only a matter of time before they come back and I don't want to be standing around when that happens. Lieutenant, keep watch. Dr Lawry, Sgt Glengarry, get the prisoner ready to move, as soon as he's stable and secured and gagged we're moving. I'm going to take a quick look at the perimeter and see if I can figure out which direction Hak and the other Jaffa ran off."

So, since we teleported everyone here, what about packs? I and Jacob left them behind I'm pretty sure, did the rest drag them along or are we immediately headed back to the weather station?

Looking for Hak in all the wrong places (track 17): 3d6 10

Also I'm going to be out of town next week. I'm sure I'll be reading the thread but posting on my phone can get a little tedious.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Tash takes a quick jog around and spots the crushed path through the woods where Hak (he presumes) was pursued. It's a chase, and no one was trying to cover their tracks. A couple of scorch marks on the trees show where staff blasts hit and paint a pretty clear picture of which way they went. Mostly north.

Any gear that was left at the base camp was stored and camouflaged by Grey/Lawry/Ross/Milton. I am assuming unless otherwise stated that they're traveling with their combat or 'lighter' load at the moment and carrying toolkits vital to their roles.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Did Pasko get fired at? There's some burns on his shoulders." She shrugs and sighs. "Tell Pasko to take it easy if he can. He's not the one that's supposed to be trying to be a hero." She gets the cord from her pack and moves to the Jaffa held down by McGriddles. "Very good boy," she says. "You're already more useful than my cat. First things first, I guess." She quickly searches the Jaffa to make sure he has nothing compromising on his person, then examines his shot-up arm. She didn't have much sympathy for him, but wrenching it behind him to tie his arms together would probably just make him pass out.

Search (default) versus 10: 10
Diagnosis versus 14: 9 Does it need splinted, cast, or amputated?

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Jacob Glengarry - Hillside

Stowing weaponry as best he can, Jake looks over one of the Zats, following proper muzzle/trigger discipline to work out proper functionality.

"Those burns were likely from one of these. I believe it's one shot to incapacitate, 2 to kill."

Taking a knee, by the scene, he looks over to the frazzled Pasko, attempting to give a universal sign of approval by pointing at him, grinning, and a little fist pump of victory. Waving the Master Sergeant over, he gives him a good scruff and a big 'ol hug. "Great work, boy! Show 'em how it's done!" Taking a few moments to unwind with scritches, his mind rolls through some of the various encounter guides he had read through. As folks begin to clear out, he makes sure to give the corpse a few test shots with the new Zat. 3, just to make sure the worm doesn't try anything funny.

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 11, 2017

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Alexandra Ross - Hillside

Dr. Ross is rather subdued as the group reforms and assesses the situation. While she went through training for this, theory is not the same as practice, and she finds herself quite shaken. The shooting seems to have stopped for now, but it does not sound like the soldiers believe the violence is over. Dr. Ross begins dismantling and repacking the data drives, hoping to lessen the chance that they might be dropped or damaged; she yelps and recoils when a breeze swipes a leaf across her face.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Dr. Lawry determines that if the injured arm were to be tied behind the Jaffa it'd probably just fall off. Kurt's fire shattered nearly every bone in the arm, and the remains are mangled and bloody. In her eyes, he would need immediate and heroic surgery to save the arm, and a small miracle to recover even marginal use of it. Likely as not he will probably lose it, at least if he were only human. Surprisingly, he's not bleeding as much as she would expect and a check of his vitals show that they are stable. Racking her brain for knowledge, she remembers that the Goa'uld symbiote carried in the Jaffa provides incredible health benefits. It will simply prevent any infection from taking hold, and given time the wounded Jaffa will recover and get up on his own. No idea what the long-term effects would be, but the fact that he will probably get up from a wound like this unassisted is incredible.

The Jaffa is only semi-coherent in his current state, and feebly attempts to pull away. Goa'uld symbiotes do not provide any painkillers it seems.

Jacob zaps the dead Jaffa repeatedly with the Zat gun. The body twitches and electric blue-green energy plays over the corpse. If he wasn't dead before he's definitely dead now, and the symbiote too. Keep it up and he just might start to char. McGriddles sniffs it and turns away with a doggy snort of derision and goes to mark a tree. This is MY house.

For the rest of the team, the situation is tense. There are no immediate threats, but the forest is ominously quiet. Dr. Ross checks and rechecks her gear. The drives are safe in the pack, and now even more well wrapped and protected against shock. She glances at the newly acquired alien weapons and a thought passes her mind on how they work. Milton and Grey keep their eyes peeled and watch as Capt. Tash scopes out the perimeter.

Pasko has cleaned himself up a bit, and addresses the group in Goa'uld. "Hak is a good hunter, he will draw the Jaffa away from us. What do you plan to do with him? I won't bring him back to my people, I told Vuski to warn them while we distracted the Jaffa but that's for naught if this one tells the Lion what he saw.

----
Lawry- A quick Physiology check (pass by 2) gives some insight on his chances. It's up to you what level of care you want to give him, the damage recieved nearly amputated the limb on its own, so to directly answer your question, 'amputate'.

Jacob - It's definitely dead, no need to keep zapping it. It's not like it'll disintegrate or something, that's just silly. :colbert:

Everyone, thanks for hanging in there with the game! Let's keep on rolling, and to that end please have 2 CP for running around alien planets.

I'll be on the road until Memorial day, so updates will be sparse. Not to worry though, more action to come soon. Feel free to chat, ask, do things! I just won't have my books so I can't do much heavy lifting.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo sighs and stands to face the others. "What's the plan with this one? Are we going to execute him after he answers questions, or tempt him with a chance to go home? I can give him some morphine, it might make him more pliable to questions."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Michael Grey - P6T-313 combat site

Mike translates as necessary for the Captain and the Sergeant, and watches how the team reacts to the adrenaline. They seemed to be handling it well, and as he looked around, the woods seemed quiet.

" We should probably move him away from here, but clearly not towards Pasko's village. Do we have the drugs to keep him sedated until our mission is done?"

psychology on squad: Target 11 3d6 13 No special insight I guess.
Observation: Target 13 3d6 15 And I keep watch poorly.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Just wanted to make sure the snake was dead!

Sure that the Goa'uld inside of the formerly talky Jaffa was dead and gone, Jake stows his new weapon. "Might be a good idea to contact base, let 'em know we got one alive. I haven't read over any capture reports, so I don't quite know what procedure is. Normally, we'd just brig 'em and let intel sort it out, but... Well, no such brig here. Bringing him to the other sites may be a bad idea."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo nods. "There's more drugs the supply site. It would put a dent in what we have - it was intended for our operation, not for a long-term patient."

Making an assumption there about our supplies, but it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - Hillside

"We certainly don't have the capacity to keep track of a prisoner full time. At present let's just get him patched up enough that he can be moved then see about Hak. After that we need to get the SGC informed that there's an active goa'uld presence on this planet. SG-15 didn't report anything about it so they're completely in the dark back home.

Lieutenant, ask Pasko if he knows of anyplace nearby we could use as a more secure basecamp where we can store the prisoner and possibly move some of our gear, a cave system or something. Don't need him giving up our position while we're searching for Hak since we know there are more Jaffa out here, and I'd feel a lot better if basecamp wasn't as exposed as that weather station."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

translates as necessary for the Captain.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Dr. Lawry stabilizes and binds up the Jaffa's arm. He'll be ready to move in a few minutes.

Pasko thinks for a moment before speaking. Lt. Grey translates for the team's benefit.
"There are caves and crevices as you go north, many, towards the ruins. If you go west it's more forest, or south until you hit the river. I'm sure if we look hard enough we could find a hiding place. My people's camp is to the east, don't go that way. It's too dangerous." Pasko fiddles with his knife as he talks.

In the distance, off to the north, a faint but distinct sound of two staff blasts is heard. In Russian Pasko grins and mutters "Hak is still playing games. What a show-off."

----
Lawry - Affirmative, there are enough meds to treat and sedate him at the base camp. And it would definitely make a dent. I doubt I'll need to put an exact number but probably a percentage in the teens of available medical resources.
All - Enough hearing checks passed that everyone gets the hint of what's going on off to the distance.

I'm back! Let's get rockin' and rollin'!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo leaves the Jaffa in an undignified, mumbling heap on the ground. "Ready to move, captain. We splitting up again?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kurt Tash - Hillside

"Yes, but only briefly I hope. Sergeant, Lieutenant, escort Dr Lawry, Pasko, and the prisoner to the caves. Drs Ross, Milton, and myself will go retrieve our equipment and extra medical supplies and rendezvous with you there.

Lieutenant, have Pasko describe the route to the caves as best as he can to help us avoid getting lost finding you. I have confidence in my tracking abilities but it'd be nice for that to be the last resort, not the first.

And be careful. If that Jaffa hears the staff blasts get close, you know he'll try something."

I hate to split up the party again, but I want to keep us moving toward Hak as much as possible (and the tower is the exact opposite direction), and don't want to lead the Jaffa back to the weather tower just in case something untoward happens later. If anyone has any strong opinions on the teams, lemme know.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
To encourage the team, if that's the planned split I have interesting things for both parties to do. Everyone check in!

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Keeping a close eye on their new buddy along with a very, very good boy who's totally getting a treat when they chow down for the night, Jake nods to the Captain. "Solid copy on that. Ready to move out as soon as we get word, Cap."

Going with the flow on this one - keeping the prisoner covered and eyes peeled for trouble!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Michael Grey - Hillside

"Affirmative Captain."

"Pasko, could you describe how to find the caves? We are going to split in two, we don't want the prisoner to see our site, so some are going back to get supplies, and rest will go with you to the caves".

If anyone else needs Russian translation, let me know

• Locked thread