Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Josephine Lawry - Briefing Room

The initial interest Jo had had had wavered a couple weeks into the training. She had begun to get the distinct impression the United States was planning on going to war with someone, maybe China, given the interest in cultural differences and conflict resolution. A few weeks after that, she realized they were already at war, and had been for a while.

That other UN member countries knew about it was, for a time, not much consolation, and Jo was angry the project had not been made public, given what the world would learn. The soldier in her won out, eventually, since it would have caused panic, or worse, loss of control of the project to people with self-interest at heart.

When she walked through an upright pool of water and landed on another world, she decided she should stop trying to jump to conclusions at all.

The people she met were like the other communities she had met in her career, worried about their necessities, about family. The thought that others out there saw them as nothing more than machines to be abused was sickening. She had managed to examine one of them in her time there, and found him healthy though not immune to his simple life. The SGC had done enough, and not more. That was good. They knew their limitations but also their responsibilities, unlike a lot of government programs she knew.

The others in her squad had a lot to take in, as well, that much was obvious. She liked Dr Ross immediately, though she had a feeling it would take some actual field work to get over the awkward initial meeting. She had a feeling the captain would have been the squad leader even without the rank; they were naturally a recon and first contact group.

She nods at George and Joseph. To the latter, she smiles and says, "Shouldn't your pup be here? I want to know what he thinks of our colonel."

Twobirds fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"The K9 unit's a good idea, I'm surprised it's not more developed. Well," she adds, waving a hand, "I guess you could say that about a lot of stuff here. The cafeteria doesn't look like it's had a chance to serve more than anything twice." She nods to Ross as the scientist enters the room, and grins at the comment about collars. "What, and be out of uniform? They're not that lax here."

To Mike, she shrugs. "I doubt it's anywhere interesting. No reason to send bunch of green squaddies on an important mission. Maybe we'll check in on a remote colony, or take topographics of some stone-dead rock somewhere."

She rolls her eyes. "Listen to me. Yes, we'll go on some boring mission that just happens to be on a planet on the other side of our galaxy."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo leans forward to look at the photos. It didn't look like much, for some reason she had been expecting wild sunsets and soaring science fiction cities. She stone structures reminded her of some sites she had seen while travel, but they were a little too grandiose, a little too ambitious. She forces herself to lean back and flips through the dossier as well, eyes lingering on a water analysis. "No pathogens in the air or water, sir? No human remains, things like that?" She hadn't saluted the colonel, but some habits died hard.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"I don't know about that," Jo says, shrugging. "If we were assuming the worst we'd be asking for the biggest guns they have, right? If you're worried - and I don't blame you, I don't see any reason to take the place lightly - is that we should check the monitoring sites first. Review the photos they've taken, if any. Learn what we can before doing anything else, particularly if they are people still traversing the area."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"I'd like to take some rapid diagnostic tests," Jo says to Kurt. "TB, strep, stuff like that. I assume they have kits like that here. I don't know what might be wrong with the people there. The kits are light, too, I wouldn't suggest them otherwise." She shrugs. "Other than some extra chocolate bars, and my own doctor's bag, that's all I'd want."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry

Jo instinctively gives a tiny hop to try and adjust her pack, but it's just nervousness and the annoyance of having the mass on her back; it wasn't going to get any better adjusted. She was used to having a battered truck or surplus jeep donated by barely-functioning governments for moving supplies. Not so lucky this time. It felt weird to be armed again as well; the MSF had a long-standing rule that no one be armed, and even if Jo wished it was broken for specific cases, it was a good rule for them. Here, they were the army, the doctors, and the police. And the translators.

She leans her head back, looking at the arch of the gate. "I think I've watched a hundred videos of this thing activating, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to scream when it opens."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo Lawry - P6T-313 Gate

Jo stands for a moment on the ground before the gate, staring a the forest before them. Just a few steps had taken her past a hundred stars and onto another planet. After a moment, she remembers to start breathing again.

She circles the camp as well, and gives a brief 'Yes sir' to Kurt's orders. She fishes her compass out of her pack and keeps its loop on her wrist. The plants get a once-over as she wanders, instinctively comparing them to what she's seen at home. Not much to see here, otherwise - beyond the fact that she is here, somehow.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - SG-13 - P6T-313 Gate

Jo walks up to Jacob. "Nice place, I guess," she says, nodding toward the woods. "The Master Sergeant all right? I don't know if I'm over that transition yet, myself. He find something he's interested in?"

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - West of the P6T-313 Gate

"An entire planet full of new smells," Jo says, grinning. "If I was a pup I'd be passing out from sensory overload, so I'd say he's doing pretty good." She looks at Tash. "What do you think, Cap'n? Can we check it out? I can take point, it's probably just a deer path." She pauses. "Or deer-like alien path."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - West of P6T-313 Gate

"You got it," Jo mutters as she sticks close to the others. "Guess I'm not on point." She keeps her eyes peeled, feeling a little distracted thanks to the strangeness of the surroundings - she had been hoping for a leisurely walk to the next site just to get used to the place. And the feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Per 15: 11 in case there's something to see

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo Lawry - West of P6T-313 Gate

"What tamper-proofing do we do on our stations?" Jo wonders aloud. "I figure they must be at least as careful."

"Sir, do you want an observer watching the station and keeping in touch with the others, the ones approaching it?" she asks Tash. "It might be difficult watching what's going on at the station when you're deep in the trees. Just a thought."

Does Stargate add any countermeasures to their monitoring stations?

My suggestion would apply to anyone with Observation, or with good Per, I guess.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

Jo watches the surroundings carefully. The place was awfully quiet, and the lazy moss making its way up the metallic tower both wanted to make her complacent. It seemed likely that the place had been here for years without incident. Now, presumably, they were the incident.

"I'd ask him if I could," she says to Milton. "Rather not get jumped by a lion or a panther out here." Reflexively, she glances up at the trees as if something might suddenly be stalking her.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo Lawry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

Jo nods and approaches from the other side, taking out her own sidearm as she kneels down in the moss. It had the distinct impression of being nothing more than a bunkhouse, but still... it was built by aliens. She watches Dr. Ross carefully.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Hey Mister Wizard," Jo says to George. "Any indications what that light means? It's making me nervous."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"The weapons might be useful," Jo says, shrugging, "but I don't think many of us are comfortable with them. Better to leave them. They'll know we've been here - if they don't already - and they'll just assume we're a bunch of nosy scouts. Which I guess we are." She grins. She gets out a notepad and pencil to better note the supplies they've found, for a later report. The brass always wanted details. Always.

Yeah, Doctor is fine for Jo. She was a 2nd Lt but it has not been officially reinstated. I bought some points so might unofficially have a little more clout than she would otherwise, but I will stick to doctor.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"We doing good, folks?" Josephine says to the ones at the control panel. She anxiously moves from foot to foot.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo Lawry - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

Jo nods to the captain, and stows her notes. "Fine by me. Good luck, guys." She heads out of the little building, but keeps a wary eye on the entryway.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo Lawry - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

There's a moment of silence, then Jo gives a polite round of applause at Michael's ingenuity.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Probably," Jo says as she moved to help Jacob with the supplies. "I still don't think we ought to do much with them unless it's an emergency, but maybe we can get command to brief us on how they work. Did we find any clips to go along with them? If not, maybe they just last a long time." She goes through the bins one at a time, helping in the once-over before they group moved on.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Let's take a look at what information they're gathering - seems like a good place to start." She starts to tap at the console, resorting to hunt-and-peck after only a couple seconds. "Yeah... a sensor diagnostic. A list of what this place is capable of. I want to know what they're interested in on this pleasant little planet, so whatever they're gathering must be important to them for that purpose."

Computer operation vs 15-2: 12 :rolleye:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Not a lot going on here," Jo says, shaking her head. "Just visual observations. They're tracking some exposed fields, so presumably watching movement and number of people active on the planet. Like us, they're interested in those empty ruins. They've got a perfect view from here. No doubt when we go there we'll be on Goa'uld Candid Camera. Should keep that in mind."

She looks at the others. "What else?"

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"If I limit it to the view of the ruins, I could try and scan through some archives." Jo shrugs. "Maybe there's some recognition software hooked into the system, but it might be beyond me." She takes a breath, a suck on her water bottle, and starts parsing through old video of the ruins at high speed.

Computer operation vs 15-2: 9

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

6Jo Lawry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

"Here we go," Josephine says brightly. "One of the natives went to the area with the ruins, followed up by a group of Jaffa, who killed him. So they're observing the structure, and sending hit squads if anyone enters them. Don't see why we would be excluded from that. If we're going to explore them, we'll have to be mighty careful - unless you want to lead them into a trap, I suppose." She looks at Tash with a raised eyebrow.

How far would it take us to get from the tower to the ruins? That is, if the Jaffa left the tower to the ruins, it would take longer than the couple hours it took for them to show up at the ruins according to the video, right? I'm wondering if there's another Jaffa base that the tower is contacting when they see someone entering them.

Shall we move on after this? I don't want to get bogged down in watching security videos.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - - Goa'uld Tower P6T-313

Jo shakes her head and grins at Dr. Ross. "Well, I didn't know we had an assassin in the group. I guess I should be thankful you didn't just set the self-destruct." She grabs her things, and heads out of the building into the brightly lit grounds. "Are we ready to head out?"

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - Goa'uld Tower, P6T-313

"My impression was that they're guarding the ruins themselves," Jo says as she shoulders her pack. "They weren't testing anyone, they just shot him. You certainly don't need to send a squad of your best soldiers to combat a local. I mean, maybe it was some medical test that he failed, but why bother waiting until someone is in some ruins you don't care about when you could just blow up a couple houses in a village and then line scared people up to have their DNA checked?"

She nods to the captain. "Ready, sir."

Hiking vs 10: 9

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - P6T-313 SG-15 Monitoring Station

Jo lets her pack down as well, stowing it near the others. It was a relief to have it off her shoulders, though she was getting back into the habit pretty quickly. "No problem, captain," she says. "We'll probably have lots of data to look at. If we see anything out of the ordinary, we'll radio you." She sets about inspecting the stowed goods, and finds nothing out of the ordinary.

"Would anyone mind a quick medical inspection? I wanted to make sure nothing odd was affecting us, being on another planet and all."

Search (default) vs 10: 13

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Nothing fancy," Jo says to Jacob. "Just vitals. Wanted to make sure no one was reacting oddly. I just don't know what to expect here. You volunteering to be first?"

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo jerks up and snatches up her rifle, then, thinking quickly, grabs a small pair of binoculars out of her things as well. "I'll radio if I see something, Captain," she says, darting towards cover.

Is there a spot north or south I could sneak and observe eastward? Not being aggressive about it.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

At the staticy bark from her radio, Jo readies her rifle and stays patient. It wasn't the usual meet-and-greet she was used to, but they didn't have much to worry about here. As long as they were prepared.

Whatever Ready actions I need go here!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The rifle is quickly stowed as Jo goes back to her binocs. "Russian?" she mumbles into the comm. "Is that Russian? What the hell."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"Captain," Dr. Lawry says into the radio, "I'm gonna guess you want us all back at camp to meet the newcomers. If you want a spotter or a sniper to stay hidden, say the word." She stows her things and heads back to the camp, so recently found and promptly abandoned.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"We can at least share some food, too," Jo says, breaking open one of the foil packs containing chocolate. They had been a staple in army kits for years, and SGC had continued the tradition. Now seemed as good a time as any. She steps toward the locals, eating one of the squares in front of them to demonstrate, and offering others to them.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo accepts the treat in return, nodding appreciatively. It was like chewing on a rock at first, but eventually breaks down, tasting raw and homemade the way SGC cafeteria food or rations never did. It was likely more of a trail ration than a treat, but Jo finds she likes it. She smiles and mimcs their way of saying "thank." It was tastier than the last time she tried to make homemade energy bars, anyway.

She leans back, listening to the conversation that she only partially understood. Instead, she examines the visitors, trying to see if they exhibited any ailments.

Medically, how do these folks look? Diagnose 12 vs 14, dunno what kind of penalties I have just looking. Physician is also 14.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo is content to let the others speak, not able to follow along much of the conversation. Her medical observations aren't much of a surprise, the new world seemed oddly mundane compared to what she was imagining. At least they were healthy, and not the product of some alien manipulation. She stirs uncomfortably when the discussion of weapons starts, though there wasn't much of a reason to. No one here was going to give away a firearm. At least, today.

"Doctor Milton," she asks when they have a break in the doctor's impressive parade of knowledge. "Exactly why are they speaking Russian?" She shakes her head. "The Goa'uld don't seem to have much interest in them. They're not building pyramids or held for stock. Is it possible their villages were wholesale kidnapped generations ago and planted here, but then were forgotten?"

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

"I guess so," Jo says to George's explanation. "I suppose I was expecting something more explicitly... nefarious. They do take some of them, but it doesn't sound like it's a concerted effort." She shakes her head, and shrugs. "I should stop wondering. Academic interest that might get an anthropology paper out of it isn't going to help here."

She turns back to the visitors. "These ruins... no one in your group remembers who lived there, or what people did there? Do you have stories about them?"

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Jo jumps up like a spring and starts returning things to their crates. She pauses briefly to give the native travelers an embarrassed shrug, and gestures briefly to the woods behind them.

Cleaning up as best I can!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - SG-13 - SGC Base Camp P6T-313

Jo nods at Dr. Ross. "Might be a good idea, as long as we've got the time." She finishes kicking dirt around the camp and the boxes, meagerly trying to disguise just what they've done here. "Leave the analysis for tomorrow, though." She finishes up and holds her rifle in one hand, barrel down, one finger on her earpiece.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Can we hear what's going on at base camp?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - SGC Base Camp P6T-313

Jo jerks to attention at the sound of gunfire, her fingers turning a little white as she grips her rifle. "Lt," she says, looking at Michael. "We going?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Josephine Lawry - SGC Base Camp P6T-313

Jo stays low, moving through the brush as best she can - nevertheless stepping on several of last year's dried poplar leaves in the process. It had been years since she had been doing this, it would take a little time before she would stop letting her nerves get the better of her.

Stealth vs 11: 13 Sure hope I get some bonuses here.

Jo will find a good spot as far as the LT gets us, fanned out, and start aiming.

• Locked thread