Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Yeah, it's a fantastic game.

I got the demo due to a extremely good review on rockpapershotgun.com and it got me hooked so I ended up buying the game the day it came out (yesterday). I'm not regretting anything, it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

I am loving loving this game.
(...)
There are a couple of things I don't like about it, though.
(...)

Yeah, 9/10 score is fair :) .

Some thoughts I had while reading your post:
- There are certainly plenty of levels that are very complex and dense, but moreso in the later levels and less so in the first ones. I haven't finished all missions yet either, but there certainly have been some that I considered very complex and intricate. The challenges often show that there are a lot more possibilities than you'd expect as well.
- Mugen can throw enemy corpses to kill other enemies. I do not know if it counts as a natural death, but it does show he's pretty awesome. Either way, Mugen (and Takuma) not having as good mobility is a central part of several challenges.
- There are missions with almost no dump sites, so don't worry too much about that.
- I actually thought the way the three type of enemies work together is one of the best parts of the game. I really doubt there are (m)any places where there's only one option possible. You have to realize that sometimes it's okay to trigger the alarm and that you can often fight your way through if you prepared well, picked a good spot and are not afraid of using Mugen. So although there might not be many ways to get around a group with straw hats, you don't always have to. Plus, if you count the reinforcement guards there are much more guards than straw hats/samuarai and the game would be far too easy without enemies that are immune to distractions.
- shadow mode does get more useful later on.

If I had to add some criticism of my own, it'd be that the story does not always make sense.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
In later maps shadow mode is compulsory every once in a while as there are a lot of situations where you need to take out multiple enemies at once in order to prevent.

That said, does anyone have tips for Sunpu Castle (mission nr 13)? Especially the very first part is extremely difficult. I tried going loud, but the extra soldiers kept coming.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

That said, does anyone have tips for Sunpu Castle (mission nr 13)?

Nevermind, finally managed. Took me two hours, but I got through without raising the alarm.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0156 posted:

I just got to Sunpu Castle and holy crap

The opening of this mission is either insane or I'm a huge idiot

It took me like an hour just to get Takuma over to the rest of the group with all the overlapping straw hat/samurai vision cones

Yes, it is insane. Now I'm looking at the challenges and I really can't understand how you could ever complete that mission without killing anyone, but apparently it is possible according to the devs. I'd love to see that. Even the challenge not to use Aiko's skills seems impossible to me as pretty much every other kill at the start section was done in shadow mode with her sneezing powder distracting somebody else.

The various speedrun challenges seem ridiculous as well at times.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I'm not sure if spoilers are necessary, but as a precaution:

Ah, I assumed I had to kill both straw men at the left in order to KO the moving samurai. Since the straw men on the ground keeps watch over one of them I used sneezing powder there as well. Otherwise my tactic seems pretty similar to yours, just with more shadow time:
- twice killing a straw men while using sneezing powder (in retrospect I only used sneezing powder three times at the beginning, and then again a few times in the garden. So I admit that probably could have been avoided)
- twice to kill a samurai.
- to kill the group of three patrolling at the same time.
- to kill the three in the shooting range at the same time.

With regards to doing it without killing anyone: the main difficulty I see is getting Takuma past the straw men on the ground all the way up the ramp. There is only one path and there are so many people watching it. Maybe it was not really necessary to kill everybody like I did to get Takuma through, but not killing anyone with rifle/trap/shuriken/pistol seems really tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Really Pants posted:

I did it by getting on the green wagon. When the driver stops midway up the hill, you can get off, leave your package somewhere in the shadows there, then make your way towards the disguise on a clothesline just outside the main camp. You have to do a whole lot of waiting for everything to fall into place while holding on to guards to keep them down, ideally with drop commands queued up in Shadow Mode so you can go quickly when your window is open, and also so they'll wake up at the same time and not set off alarms by discovering each other. Underneath that clothesline and behind the drug bench, there are ledges where you can drop guards and get them out of the way permanently.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about mission nr 13, whereas you're talking about mission nr 12 (which I thought was really easy compared to the other missions in the last part).

• Locked thread