Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, the manual had 2 per rotor, but yeah, I suppose that I totally could put a screw or normal bolt there instead. That sound deadening needs to go, though. It's awful, and doesn't do much anyways
Hmm, odd. Every Fiat I've ecountered with those has 1 bolt with a pin extending from the head, and 1 with a plain hex. There's no advantage to having 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Maybe they figured out that adding a second does nothing haha. Well, at least I won't feel bad about taking a cutoff tool and an EZ out to the one I rounded. I'd still be 2 short if I reused all of the others, so I guess I will just stick them on the dive wheels and be done with it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ok, I broke my titanium drill bit off inside of the bolt, but a grease gun did free one of the pistons, so soon I will have 4 calipers that have moving parts. Hopefully I will have 4 working brakes too

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Found this photo of a Stratos being assembled and there's something in the background you may be familiar with...

:3:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ooo, I love finding my car (or its successor) in random places :neckbeard:
I know that it's not actually a MonteCarlo, but in Ferris Bueler's Day Off, there's a very pretty blue Lancia behind them in traffic when they see the new mileage on the Ferrari.

Progress update: (kinda)
Cold and family events have slowed my work to a crawl, but I have 4 rebuilt brakes and hopefully a working handbrake. Unfortunately, no pictures of that stuff because gently caress the cold. gently caress the cold forever. Even in boots with multiple pairs of socks on, I was developing frostbite on my right foot after a few hours on that cold concrete. Still have all of my toes, but I'm more respectful of winter now

For what I'm going to be working on now, I went to move the car out of the garage for a few days aaaaaand... it won't start. In fact, there's no power to anything at all. 11.2v at the battery though, so I should at least get something out of the car when I turn the key or move knobs. No time like the present to actually start doing the wiring work that I've been putting off, I suppose :shrug:

Trawling through Xwebv3 has finally yielded some non-broken links for the Brown Wire mod and small quality of life fixes, so I can have working headlight motors, proper power, and wipers that move faster than once every 4 seconds. And since I am supposed to put her on the street for a little while, I think it's time to finally seal up the bottom of the car. Maybe. I've been hoping that spring comes before I need to drive through a puddle and I can just weld it shut after getting a couple of lessons from my buddy

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Feeling a little bit defeated and I'm closing at work tonight, so no write up right now, but here's a video of the fruits of my labor
https://youtu.be/oAK0aGE22xE

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 13, 2017

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have 99% of a 80 EFI X1/9 if you need anything. I even have a custom made megasquirt & harness that plugs right into an X1/9 and just replaced most of the hardware. Any of it is yours for shipping. I also have a sweet 4-1 header too.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ok, I came up with a couple large shorts and a bunch of dodgy connections put in by the previous owner, and one massive headache caused by the rodents in the spare tire section.

First thing was replacing the primary ground, which was pretty frayed. Unfortunately, my replacement cable was 2.5x as long as it needed to be, but I suppose it won't kill me. And eventually the positive terminal to make my life a little easier

Why do I always buy backwards batteries for my car? Oh well. The PO installed stereo that wasn't attached to anything in the car, but also soldered the wiring harness into the boards of the head unit, put in a ton of crimp connections, and disconnected a ground for the steering column to use it in the stereo... And he ran the speaker cable on the steering column :psyduck:

And now to the shorts, the pink wire is the wire from the steering column to the fuse box, where half of the car gets its power from. On an unrelated note, this is my 6th time ever using a soldering iron in my life. And this other plug is to the fuel pump relay and caused me a ton of problems later on.

Just inspecting more of the wiring and removing the broken antenna. The switches and pigtails for the power windows were intact, but no motors present. And some more rust holes discovered in the trunk

New stereo wired in, just needed a way to mount the drat thing. Temporary power outlet, secured to the interior. I wanted to use this instead of the stock one, but there's no room to get a "universal" 12v outlet in there without cutting

I went to actually do the BWM, and a funny thing popped up, 81+ X1/9's have it stock. That's where the inspiration for the mod came from :doh: If I had done more research first, I would have saved a couple of trips to the store.

But with the the other source of power to the fusebox repaired the wipers worked like a charm. Except I cannot figure out how to activate the sprayer, so I think that might be the ground that was cut by the PO. Here's where the headache comes in, I go to start the car and it turns over, it runs for 15 seconds, and dies. Won't start again and there's a constant buzzing behind my head. I don't know how it worked beforehand, but the Pink/Black and Red/Black were in the wrong locations on the plug. Once they got full voltage, the fuel pump wouldn't shut off as long as the key was in the ignition and the car would die in seconds, leaving everything reeking of gas. I got so mad after deleting yards of redundant wiring and fixing everything, that it took me a day to relax and check the connections in the relay.
She is running again! It sounds like absolute dogshit, has what I'm hoping is a tappet-y tick (it mostly fades as the engine warms, so I'm not optimistic), spews gasoline scented smoke, and runs hot in 35 degree F weather, but it runs!

As an aside, I do need new pins to attach the new handbrake cable and it feels a lot like my brake system is leaking, but it is a functional vehicle once more

I need to clear out of the garage for a few weeks because my dad is trying to pick up a 944 and wants to be able to get any work done he can, but next up will be replacing the sagging rear suspension and preparing to replace the master cylinder along with my brakelines to ensure that I have no leaks.

DJ Commie posted:

I have 99% of a 80 EFI X1/9 if you need anything. I even have a custom made megasquirt & harness that plugs right into an X1/9 and just replaced most of the hardware. Any of it is yours for shipping. I also have a sweet 4-1 header too.

That's awesome, thank you! Do you think that the existing FI system is part of the reason that it sounds like a tractor or is that an offer to try and save me some headaches haha?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 14, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm really glad this thread is still going.

WTF is with the previous owner hard wiring the stereo harness in?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

The Door Frame posted:

That's awesome, thank you! Do you think that the existing FI system is part of the reason that it sounds like a tractor or is that an offer to try and save me some headaches haha?

That really just sounds like 80s european valvetrain noise. My scirocco has always sounded like a sewing machine as soon as I swapped in the 16v engine. It may be a bit bottom endy although that sounds a lot like the scirocco's exhaust at idle but if it is I really wouldn't lose a ton of sleep over it, if the engine is done its done and you're just getting bonus time for however long it lasts. If its hydraulic lifters I'd probably overfill it with oil by a 500ml or so, that seemed to help cut out a lot of valve noise on startup for me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, that's kind of comforting, I guess. I do remember hearing that the biggest nuisance/non-problem with 80's VW was the god awful noise they made, so maybe Europe was more tolerant of engine noise than we were.
Watching old Top Gear and seeing other cars by the same guy as mine spectaularly explode in the £10k supercar episode made me even more paranoid, but I am worrying a bit more about the reliability of the Fiat because I'm starting to run into the wall budget wise. I'm at the point where in order to be able to afford to start actually upgrading, instead of repairing, in preparation for a new engine, I'd need to sell my other car and rely on the X1/9 as a daily, which is a little more of a terrifying prospect than it was a month ago. I did repeatedly make the joke of, "I'm tired of the car starting every time I turned the key," but it was 45º warmer when I said that :ohdear:

This is getting close to the point of no return. I'm 95% sure that I'm going to keep the Fiat, but if I were to panic and back out, this would be the last moment to recoup my losses on this endeavor

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

You really need to have a properly running car before you try to hack aftermarket fuel injection into it. I didn't follow that and took me months extra to figure out everything. The only downside of the Megasquirt setup is its a decade old before MS2 even existed and runs on the edge of the CPU's ability to work, has only 2 injector channels, fan control was hacked in and doesn't work great, and you have to redo the firmware to change to non GM sensors. It did work, though.

Running hot, gas smell, and running like poo poo really sounds like super retarded timing. Remember you time from #4, not #1. I bet you have some sort of valvetrain noise, they use directly actuated inverted buckets and may take some time to quiet down.

edit: I have service manuals, and a special L-Jetronic X1/9 EFI manual as well, all in fancy gif and maybe pdf formats. I might even have my documentation about modifying the car's wiring.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 15, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

You really need to have a properly running car before you try to hack aftermarket fuel injection into it. I didn't follow that and took me months extra to figure out everything. The only downside of the Megasquirt setup is its a decade old before MS2 even existed and runs on the edge of the CPU's ability to work, has only 2 injector channels, fan control was hacked in and doesn't work great, and you have to redo the firmware to change to non GM sensors. It did work, though.

Running hot, gas smell, and running like poo poo really sounds like super retarded timing. Remember you time from #4, not #1. I bet you have some sort of valvetrain noise, they use directly actuated inverted buckets and may take some time to quiet down.

edit: I have service manuals, and a special L-Jetronic X1/9 EFI manual as well, all in fancy gif and maybe pdf formats. I might even have my documentation about modifying the car's wiring.

I thought that all I4 engines could do their timing off of #1 or #4, or is that exclusively for ignition timing? I haven't honestly looked at the engine all that much yet, but a new timing belt is only $15, so I can replace the 36yo rubber belt on there and get the timing correct at the same time. I don't trust that I will have a newer engine ready when the old one breaks, so it might actually be wise to learn more about the stock systems in place... Is the EFI manual you have the same as the one in this article? https://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php/FuelInjectionTroubleshooting

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Get the Bosch Jetronic manual. You really need that. Adjusting these systems is a bit of an art form and understanding the theory of what does what to the system goes a long way. My dad got the actual Bosch training on Jetronic back in the day and seeing him tinker with these systems is like god drat wizardry, just revs the engine a few times while listening, fiddles with a few things and the cars instantly runs better. The pulsed system when working properly runs really well, but you do need to check over everything with a fine toothed comb.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Now you have it running.....

First Rule of Italian vehicles...... Change every "wearing" bit of the ignition. That thing should have the electronic dizzy so you just need the cap/leads/plugs and the coil unless you KNOW it's good.

Includes all the condensers... Magneti marelli are one step better than Lucas as water won't stop the car every time...

Do all the fuel

Only then do you have a chance......

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I thought that all I4 engines could do their timing off of #1 or #4, or is that exclusively for ignition timing? I haven't honestly looked at the engine all that much yet, but a new timing belt is only $15, so I can replace the 36yo rubber belt on there and get the timing correct at the same time. I don't trust that I will have a newer engine ready when the old one breaks, so it might actually be wise to learn more about the stock systems in place... Is the EFI manual you have the same as the one in this article? https://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php/FuelInjectionTroubleshooting

Fiat just set the crank markings to work with #4, I think only waste spark ignitions can use either since they fire 1/4 at the same time. Also change that belt AND the tensioner. The belt they use was even thinner than my old 3 cylinder Daihatsu one. Honestly, I wouldn't start it again until you are ready to do it.

Kaptainballistik posted:

Now you have it running.....

First Rule of Italian vehicles...... Change every "wearing" bit of the ignition. That thing should have the electronic dizzy so you just need the cap/leads/plugs and the coil unless you KNOW it's good.

Includes all the condensers... Magneti marelli are one step better than Lucas as water won't stop the car every time...

Do all the fuel

Only then do you have a chance......

This man speaks the truth.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

Fiat just set the crank markings to work with #4, I think only waste spark ignitions can use either since they fire 1/4 at the same time. Also change that belt AND the tensioner. The belt they use was even thinner than my old 3 cylinder Daihatsu one. Honestly, I wouldn't start it again until you are ready to do it.

This man speaks the truth.

Well, I have to start it twice more to move it for street cleaning, and I can safely say that I know why the brakes seized the first time. I'm already out of brake fluid despite only going around the block 3 times. I really hope that my hardlines aren't rotten, because my master cylinder doesn't look like it's leaking that much fluid. Maybe the resevoir is bad and the sheen I see on the master is fluid that has traveled down the line from the reservoir itself?

And I actually have a good deal of replacement equipment on hand, but I'm just waiting for my shipment to come in so I can get as much as possible done at the same time. The battery that was in it and the current tires are from '08, and a good deal of the ignition equipment looks newer than the rest of the engine bay, so I'm going to test the coil, test the condensers, and test/inspect the distributor before I straight up replace it all. I'm still trying to be a little frugal for now, but after I can actually replace my current car with the Fiat...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ooo, some questions in the chat thread might be leading to a Honda F series as the motor of choice for this build. This will be a new one, since I have no experience with F's or H's and have only ever disassembled and reassembled a 60's Ford slant 6, but I didn't take the next level of high school automotive classes and never got to learn if the things we built would actually run, but it did turn and nothing scraped when a wrench was on the crank...

And unrelated to anything is the story of lovely school administrators, since my teacher almost got fired for doing this with us. The school board decided that instead of working towards ASE certification as a goal for students who take 3 years of automotive classes, they should be classes about automotive theory, and we were only allowed to touch factory service manuals and not tools or components. As a result, we had to do everything in secret and got to all sorts of stupid poo poo that our 22 year old teacher thought was cool, like burning letters into people's arms with distributor leads and melting our student ID's in sulfuric acid

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
They took the shop out of autoshop class? :stonk:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

They took the shop out of autoshop class? :stonk:

Thanks Obummer.

Back to being serious. That f series I offered is a robust motor. I work on them at work a lot and they keep on keep in on. And it will definitely be an upgrade over the Italian hamster box you have.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Well, I have to start it twice more to move it for street cleaning, and I can safely say that I know why the brakes seized the first time. I'm already out of brake fluid despite only going around the block 3 times. I really hope that my hardlines aren't rotten, because my master cylinder doesn't look like it's leaking that much fluid. Maybe the resevoir is bad and the sheen I see on the master is fluid that has traveled down the line from the reservoir itself?

And I actually have a good deal of replacement equipment on hand, but I'm just waiting for my shipment to come in so I can get as much as possible done at the same time. The battery that was in it and the current tires are from '08, and a good deal of the ignition equipment looks newer than the rest of the engine bay, so I'm going to test the coil, test the condensers, and test/inspect the distributor before I straight up replace it all. I'm still trying to be a little frugal for now, but after I can actually replace my current car with the Fiat...

Neither of my X1/9s had good reservoirs, so I'd definitely check it. The hardline to caliper hoses are cheap from Vick Auto, and I think the master cylinder is rebuildable if you don't have the scratch for a new one. I used a universal two port remote brake fluid reservoir from eBay, it was a WIlwood knockoff I think. It does take special hose, which is a bit harder to get ahold of. It melts vinyl hoses almost as fast as rubber hoses.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 22, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

clam ache posted:

Thanks Obummer.

Back to being serious. That f series I offered is a robust motor. I work on them at work a lot and they keep on keep in on. And it will definitely be an upgrade over the Italian hamster box you have.

Nah, this was back around 2007-08. Thanks Dubya!

And I got the new silicone resevoir-to-master tubing and the timing belt, but am waiting for the tensioner and new MC to come in. I also got a ton of new weatherstripping, I'm getting ready for the cold to come back

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, my package with the new brake master, timing tensioner, and a few other QOL items has been delayed twice, might as well just get set up to replace the timing belt while I'm waiting and replace all of the weatherstripping. It says "tomorrow", but it has said that since Friday

E: Retro Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epgJ6PGEzug

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 23, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ok, just got the car on blocks and figure that I should do my maintenance items while I wait for my shipment and I have run into 2 distinct problems caused by the age of the vehicle cheap things attached to the car.
New filter on the car from the PO

More Mouse shenanigans in the air intakes

Looking for the drain bolt on the rad, I find concrete proof that my car was originally an ugly metallic orange instead of the flat firetruck red I have now. Though, I think I may have found the cooling issue, so far I have only pulled 2.5 qt of coolant out of the 12qt that my cooling system holds

The gearbox had a good deal of metal shards in the drain plug, like a cm deep, but none in the MTF itself. Which may not have been MTF, it shifted like garbage and smelled too sweet. Filling the gearbox takes FOREVER

Gas is pretty yellowed, probably rust from the tank, but I broke the mounting bracket for the fuel filter and don't know what to do with it

And unpictured are the threads from the old O2 sensor stuck to the exhaust, but not on the O2 sensor itself, so there's also just a big hole in my exhaust now

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

That rear 'intake' is just for the air blower for the injectors, they had some issue with vapor lock due to the non-crossflow head design. I never ran any of it, though mine was never street driven. Just take it apart and ditch it, I think modern fuels are actually better with regard to boiling in lines.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

That rear 'intake' is just for the air blower for the injectors, they had some issue with vapor lock due to the non-crossflow head design. I never ran any of it, though mine was never street driven. Just take it apart and ditch it, I think modern fuels are actually better with regard to boiling in lines.

That weird flowing head is the source of so many problems in this car, why use it at all? Good to know that the vent is mostly decorative now.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

That weird flowing head is the source of so many problems in this car, why use it at all? Good to know that the vent is mostly decorative now.

If you want a laugh, look at the bore/stroke numbers. The 1.1L has no problem running in the 9000RPM range if you can keep oil pressure up. The 1.5Ls can do north of 7500 without exotic anything due to the tiny stroke. That engine is nearly indestructible, fix the crappy head flow with the manifold from a Fiat Uno Turbo and use any IHI RHB5 turbo from a Mercury Capri XR2/Mazda 323GTX/Ford Probe/Mazda MX6. If you get the manifold I will send you my spare GTX turbo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I suspect a custom manifold is cheaper than getting one from abroad, but if you want any of us Euro or Brit goons to ask around breakers and the like, we can do.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I wish, but that's more along the lines of what I'd do to keep it all Italian and in the spirit of the original car. I genuinely appreciate your offers, though!
In the states, a Uno turbo head and manifold will run +$1.5k at least, I've seen bare heads as high as $2k +machining. Otherwise it would be an amazing option for easy power

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Good call on the timing, the old belt was off by an entire tooth. Now to put everything back together again

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ok, so I have run into an interesting problem... after pulling apart the pedal assembly and replacing the faulty brake master, the new one leaks out of the rear diaphragm-thing even more than the old one that it replaced.

Needless to say, all of that effort being wasted has put a damper on my spirits, and I'm considering cutting my losses while I'm only a few thousand in. I really don't want to go for round two on brake masters in that tiny space, but how the hell would I stop the leaking if I were to decide to keep going? It has all of its seals intact, but the drat thing just leaks and leaks and leaks

Also, I HATE this timing belt. It slips like a motherfucker on the auxiliary pulley and I cannot make it work for the life of me. Even with a new tensioner, it won't work right
No wonder it was off by an entire tooth

Also, babby's first booger welds

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
That oxy sensor welding :catstare:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing you're using a wire feed or a stick welder? Either way, if you're a welding babby like me, it really helps to heat the piss out of the things you're going to weld with at torch before you slap your boogers on.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Flux core, but yeah. I ran out of grinding wheels, so I couldn't clean it up at all. It's sealed though :shrug:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Thread may not be completely dead. I'm cautiously optimistic

A wee bit of depression and other brain problems pushed me out of the garage for nearly 2 months. Thankfully, I couldn't leave the house, so I couldn't manage to pawn the the thing off on some other poor chump. With the weather getting less poo poo and the desire to feel the wind in my convertible, I'm currently finding myself ordering a new brake master. Among other assorted junk that it needs, despite my better judgement and the siren call of 90's Suzuki Jimny's

Hopefully this will be less disastrous than last time around. I have more money, actual support, and even more time than before, so fingers crossed :ohdear:

Also, I forgot exactly what the settings meant on my welder and accidentally burned clean through a small project I was working on earlier this week because the manual doesn't actually explain anything about the operation of the welder. I have a bit of practicing to do before I try thinking about trying to replace my floorpans, but we'll see how far things get before I start looking at bigger QoL improvements.
Any Chicago locals know about Southside Hacker Space?I remember them coming up in the chat thread a while ago, and some actual metalworking tools and actual experience wouldn't be unwelcome

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

In case you change your mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyQnvbZ250

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, this time I decided to pressurize the brake system before reassembling everything and I burst a steel line... now I get to wait for more replacement parts. I genuinely hate these brakes more than anything else in my life right now

With the warm, humid weather, I've decided to clear out every possible source of that awful stench that permeates the interior while I'm waiting for my next shipment. I'm currently rehabbing the vents and ducting, and trying to source new seats. Not only is it an attempt to remove rotting leaf litter and mouse poo poo, but to seal everything up so new mice/leaf litter can't get in

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Thread may not be completely dead. I'm cautiously optimistic

A wee bit of depression and other brain problems pushed me out of the garage for nearly 2 months. Thankfully, I couldn't leave the house, so I couldn't manage to pawn the the thing off on some other poor chump. With the weather getting less poo poo and the desire to feel the wind in my convertible, I'm currently finding myself ordering a new brake master. Among other assorted junk that it needs, despite my better judgement and the siren call of 90's Suzuki Jimny's

Hopefully this will be less disastrous than last time around. I have more money, actual support, and even more time than before, so fingers crossed :ohdear:

Also, I forgot exactly what the settings meant on my welder and accidentally burned clean through a small project I was working on earlier this week because the manual doesn't actually explain anything about the operation of the welder. I have a bit of practicing to do before I try thinking about trying to replace my floorpans, but we'll see how far things get before I start looking at bigger QoL improvements.
Any Chicago locals know about Southside Hacker Space?I remember them coming up in the chat thread a while ago, and some actual metalworking tools and actual experience wouldn't be unwelcome

So safety dance is on these forums and is a top dude at the hacker space. Good place with good people. I also will offer my help if needed. I'm on the Chicago side of ohare airport so I'm not far from you probably. I have a knack for fixing old oddball cars. It's also my job.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Sweet! I definitely need to refine my skills with someone who knows what they're doing to supervise
I may take you up on that help offer soon. I had been proud and averse to accepting any assistance in the beginning of the project, but I've come to realize how far beyond the scope of my knowledge I've gotten myself

As far as actual work I've done on the interior, let's just say that the hole in the driver's side floor pan turns out to be less of a hole and more of an... escape hatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Superleggera!

• Locked thread