Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

joke_explainer posted:

the whole friendship-7 mission looks utterly terrifying looking back at it with modern standards of still-dangerous spaceflight... but like, shortly after he got going, they discovered that it appeared that his heat shield / landing bag may not actually be firmly attached to the spacecraft anymore, so that was certainly cause for concern, as he'd incinerate immediately hitting the atmosphere. he struggled with constantly rising suit temperature, and adjusted his suit to cool himself... only to find humidity alarms going off, because the condensation from the cooling on his suit. excess humidity meant controls might start short circuiting, so he had to balance humidity and overheating, which didn't seem easy. on re-entry he became concerned his heat shield was disintegrating, along with an extreme corkscrew on his way down that seemed like it might threaten his capability to prepare for landing. once clear and the chutes opened, he has to be reminded to deploy the landing bag manually (though he probably would have remembered!).

he got recovered by a navy boat and it was planned for him to leave through the upper hatch, but he decided it was too hot to attempt it, decided to blow the side hatch with the explosives bolts and told everyone to get out of the way. slamming the plunger down, he actually cut his knuckles through his glove, but got out that way. His first words off the capsule were, "It was hot in there."

Reminder that the Mercury capsule was really loving tiny. Just a dude strapped into a can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Reminder that the Mercury capsule was really loving tiny. Just a dude strapped into a can.

The 'top hatch' joke explainer mentioned.

joke_explainer

Yeah. View was poo poo. It was incredibly tiny. The attitude and horizon sensors were proven to be malfunctioning in orbit, and Glenn adjusted based on his own observations. But the periscope designed to let him see outside while descending was completely covered with soot after re-entry, so he was essentially blind in a tiny, tiny thin-metal closet.

Twenty Four

I thought of forums poster GODSPEED JOHN GLENN as soon as I heard the story on NPR, before they even said the famous line. I can't explain...

posting smiling
sorry to hear. i think he used to post here

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
NASA remembers John Glenn:
https://www.nasa.gov/johnglenn

fuck. marry. t-rex

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Gonna watch the Right Stuff ASAP

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Senior Management

I went with my family today to see the new Harry Potter universe film. One of the previews was for a film about three smart black women doing space math in a racist society to help America land on the outer space. They joked about wanting to sleep with a young and sexy John Glenn. The actresses seemed good in the preview so I hope the movie will be good. I do not know how prominently John Glenn features in the story but I hope that his portrayal is good.

Senior Management fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 14, 2016

:jerry:

Twerkteam Pizza

Space ghost coast 2 coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Vynar posted:

I went with my family today to see the new Harry Potter universe film. One of the previous was for a film about three smart black women doing space math in a racist society to help America land on the outer space. They joked about wanting to sleep with a young and sexy John Glenn. The actresses seemed good in the preview so I hope the movie will be good. I do not know how prominently John Glenn features in the story but I hope that his portrayal is good.

i'm really hoping the film is good. those three smart black women made sure that john glenn was able to go to space and return safely, and their math and engineering prowess as computers helped him make his quick decisions in space (along with his own prowess) to help him survive.

john glenn was a good man.

• Locked thread