Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
TayneFS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

TayneFS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lomarf

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

do you call it zee eff ess like a fascist, or zed eff ess like a commie?

don't say computer thing ziffisnot really

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

nice except it doesnt have dedup or snapshots

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

ArmZ posted:

I use lomarfs

still reeling from this epic post

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

NTFS is the best file system
remember when vista was going to get a brand new filesystem and then microsoft realized they didn't know how to make a filesystem

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

anthonypants posted:

remember when vista was going to get a brand new filesystem and then microsoft realized they didn't know how to make a filesystem

came here to post this. where is the winfs, shaggar?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
i think there's a little winfs in all of us

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

dedup absolutely murders performance in zfs, don't use it unless you really have to and try to keep it contained to a separate zpool

zpools with dynamic file system sizing, checksumming everything, disk scrubbing and resilvering, snapshots and raidz/2/3 are all great stuff

I run raidz3 across 12 3TB WD RED disks at home and even though some of the drives have been a little wobbly at times, not a single one has failed in three years. The monthly disk scrub will simply report the problem and automatically repair data on a failing disk after the disk firmware has remapped the bad blocks with spare ones. It's really neat.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

zen death robot posted:

dedup murders performance on just about any filesystem, hell even WAFL will poo poo itself if there's too many things trying to reference the same block

true but still neat that it can do it

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
dedup screws up waffle lol who makes up this poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont really know anything about file systems or what the properties of a file system might be and why those properties would be desirable

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dont really know anything about file systems or what the properties of a file system might be and why those properties would be desirable

you want something that isn't FAT, op

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

speak for yourself mother fucker. you can get and use a nice FAT filesysem anywhere on gods green earth and for many of us its the best we can get; so why don't you just check your loving privilege and shut the gently caress up forever. ignored and reported. :byewhore:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

:same:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
filesystem? yeah, I've definitely got one mate.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

speak for yourself mother fucker. you can get and use a nice FAT filesysem anywhere on gods green earth and for many of us its the best we can get; so why don't you just check your loving privilege and shut the gently caress up forever. ignored and reported. :byewhore:

Aren't u a Linux man, Smythe? You've got ext4 easy and prob even xfs at your fingertips, so stop frontin'

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Captain Foo posted:

don't FAT shame

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ntfs - neat rechnology file system

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

zen death robot posted:

did you know? admins don't have report buttons :newlol:

the carefully crafted contextual affordances of radium

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I turn on the hacker news and all I see are these fancy, unobtainable, gussied up file systems - but back at home all we have is FAT. When are these myopic silicon valley cretins going to produce something that reflects MY values? MY life? MY people? FAT is my truth, and my life.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

fat is a filesystem in the same way that when i go to my hoarder parents place and try to move 80s tau beta pi mags off of the toilet they start screaming "BUT I'VE GOT A SYSTEM!"

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Ubuntu even has ZFS built in now, it's just a single "sudo apt install zfsutils-linux" away

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

r u ready to WALK posted:

Ubuntu even has ZFS built in now, it's just a single "sudo apt install zfsutils-linux" away

except when in put it into production anywhere that makes real money oracle's lawyers are going to pay you a visit and demand licensing fees.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

don't FAT shame

please work out bithc

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
how much computer janitoring will have to do if i switch to this superior fs op?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you'll be switching to solaris, so, uh

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Ugh no, run ZFS on FreeBSD or Linux please
Or FreeNAS or Nexenta community if you aren't man enough to operate a CLI

Solaris is a dead system, all the people who actually cared about it quit Oracle long ago.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

:ssh: Nude TayneFS

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
yes let me trust all my data to this outdated ubuntu package of a third party open source project

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HFS Plus is good

NTFS is good

exFAT when you need to talk between the only two good os choices

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i use raid 6 btrfs in production

fight me

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BiohazrD posted:

fire me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

BiohazrD posted:

fight me

after reading that RAID5/6 scrub race fix thread, there's still some issues with regenerating correct parity (and replacing devices if the fs is under stress)

i would not trust the fs if you were forced to replace a drive while under active use

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can we talk about raid

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

can we talk about raid

No

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CHAANT720016/Antec-P100-Mid-Tower-Case---Black

im thinking about this case for my pc. I don't really need to upgrade PC as much as just make everything fit in it and give it room for the future. for now upgrading the case and put one of those all-in-one water cooling kits would do good.

and then when I need more hd space I can just do it. and raid the poo poo out of it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CHAANT720016/Antec-P100-Mid-Tower-Case---Black

im thinking about this case for my pc. I don't really need to upgrade PC as much as just make everything fit in it and give it room for the future. for now upgrading the case and put one of those all-in-one water cooling kits would do good.

and then when I need more hd space I can just do it. and raid the poo poo out of it

u gonna run zfs on this m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

echinopsis posted:

can we talk about raid

it kills bugs dead

• Locked thread