Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Benne posted:

The big problem with this is that OP lives in Seattle, and there's basically no indie scene around here due to Washington's antiquated laws that still treat pro wrestling as a real sport instead of an entertainment venture. It's not illegal to run shows, but you have to clear it with the athletic commission (who takes a healthy chunk of the gate) and pay for a bunch of extra fees, including your own paramedics on site and whatnot, so you have no chance of breaking even. There's a reason WWE only comes to Washington 1-2 times a year.

The closest thing to an indie scene in the Pacific Northwest is Portland, and even that is touch-and-go.

the oregon indie scene is a bunch of fat middle aged guys wrestling in lodges in front of a dozen people and has been for about a decade or so. last i saw gangrel was the champion of one of the promotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Call Me Charlie posted:

Getting into shoot interviews is kinda dumb since you have to pay a flat fee + travel + lodging up front and hope that there's an audience for it afterwards.

MagicCube posted:

Are you prepared financially to fly people out to Seattle and pay for their accommodation because I don't think anyone is going to buy their own flight to be on some geeks shoot interview series.
Absolutely. I've paid more for things less likely to find an audience, and it's worth a shot just to see if it's sustainable. Honestly, I'd do it just for the story a single time, and if I can make it work financially, so much the better, and I'll keep doing it.

MassRafTer posted:

If you've got thousands of dollars start contacting booking agents and flying guys in. Expect to have to pay up front since you have no track record.
Again, absolutely, obviously, and there's a big difference between a dumb Youtube show I do for fun and don't monetize in any way and the pro projects on which I actually make my money. The budget fits the potential gain. I do that show because I love making things and found, as we all likely remember, that not getting that out in an unobtrusive manner was actually quite irritating for all involved.

I'm not fronting thousands of dollars for that show. And so, what you see is what I can do for literally no money beyond equipment I already own. That's a passion project, and one not really expected to be a salable product. But again, my stupid passion project somehow looks and sounds better at its worst than your average shoot interview. (Oliver is a huge exception here.)

Mob posted:

Stick to bachelorette party karaoke
You would be gobsmacked to know how much that pays. If it didn't suck my soul to death, I'd do nothing but that and weddings, and I'd be a wealthier man for it.

I'm deadly serious. It costs more to rent a PA (with an M.C.) than it does to buy one.

And it's totally cool to laugh at the "professionally interesting" line. I know I do. I have crazy imposer syndrome that picks up before any gig I do and I, more than anybody, am always shocked every time I cash a check from a client or get a referral. I don't have an ego about it. I'm not a celebrity. I just have a (bizarrely) marketable skill that seems like something anybody could do.

Most people would kill themselves before talking into a live microphone, and if you think you could do it, I'm here to tell ya': absolutely do it.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm not big into podcasts, but I've listened a little bit to Colt Cabana's. Here's what I picked up in like six episodes from last year:

- he's a pretty engaging dude
- he has experience in the industry so other guys trust him and open up
- he still travels the indies so he's not asking people to fly 1000 miles just to talk to him
- he has some sort of established listener base so guests don't feel like they're wasting their time

You are asking us to take you at your word that you fulfill exactly one of these things.

BTW, I would like to be a professional Hearthstone streamer. I stream on Twitch 2-3x a week starting at 11pm and get drunk while playing terribly and listening to mostly 90's alt-rock.

Both of our dreams are equally likely.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Cardboard Box posted:

the oregon indie scene is a bunch of fat middle aged guys wrestling in lodges in front of a dozen people and has been for about a decade or so. last i saw gangrel was the champion of one of the promotions.

Still better than the Washington indie scene, which can be best summed up as " ... "

E: Our most famous local talent was Bryan Danielson, who immediately left the state to pursue a real career on the indies.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

LividLiquid posted:

Absolutely. I've paid more for things less likely to find an audience, and it's worth a shot just to see if it's sustainable. Honestly, I'd do it just for the story a single time, and if I can make it work financially, so much the better, and I'll keep doing it.

So email Bill Behrens. I gave you his contact information. The worst thing that happens is he gives you a price way higher than you're willing to spend. I did a little searching and found out that Kevin Nash still gets like four grand for a wrestling appearance so think that plus paying for his flight from Florida and hotel.

If you can figure out some type of angle that traditional shoots or Kayfabe Commentary hasn't covered yet, that would significantly improve your chances at making your money back.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cardboard Box posted:

You're thinking of WCWC who are actually pretty good, their big problem is how much they book Stryker. Not the best indie but they have some fun gimmicks They're in Salem but the two up in Portland are rear end awful.

Benne posted:

The closest thing to an indie scene in the Pacific Northwest is Portland, and even that is touch-and-go.

As I said above the "good" indie left for Salem because Portland has similarly bad wrestling laws. The NWA affiliate that runs out of PDX is legit some of the worst wrestling I've ever seen on tape.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

skaboomizzy posted:

A lot of really good points that take up a lot of page space
People already do this. Also, I am not planning on doing this weekly. Or even more than once. I really don't see what's so hard to follow here.

Call Me Charlie posted:

So email Bill Behrens.
Yes. Thank you for being the only person to give me something actionable.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

LividLiquid posted:

People already do this. Also, I am not planning on doing this weekly. Or even more than once. I really don't see what's so hard to follow here.

Wait, you want to land one major game-changing, career-making shoot interview with some big name with nothing at all on your record to suggest that you should be trusted with it?

My suggestion is that you start with DDP since he's always hustling hard for his workout/diet/lifestyle program. If he says no, you'll never get anyone or anything worthwhile so you can maybe do something else with your time and money.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You're thinking of WCWC who are actually pretty good, their big problem is how much they book Stryker. Not the best indie but they have some fun gimmicks They're in Salem but the two up in Portland are rear end awful.

i'm sure they're a lot better now than they used to be, i remember catching them occasionally on local public access years ago and they were just hilariously bad.

also lol, matt striker wrestling in the main event of that video you linked. i had no idea he even still wrestled.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 11, 2016

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

one final heist....

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

have you considered just shooting something else? yourself that is, HA

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

LividLiquid posted:

Putting up posters is an action.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LividLiquid posted:

This is an expensive hobby and your best bet is probably to email some wrestlers that go to those conventions, ask them if they'd be willing to set aside an hour or two, then flying your own rear end out to that convention and shoot something. You should prob vet questions with goons beforehand so you don't make an even bigger idiot out of yourself.

Since you're on the west coast your best hope is probably finding a convention in LA somewhere.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

LividLiquid: "So Kevin, what advice can you give new wrestlers?"

Kevin Nash: "Have you considered putting up posters?"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

"Don't do this it's a bad idea, you are trying to enter a hugely oversaturated market" is actionable advice.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

RealFoxy posted:

You should prob vet questions with goons beforehand so you don't make an even bigger idiot out of yourself.
this is actually the worst advice you could possibly give someone.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Do people still buy shoots when there's like a dozen free podcasts where wrestlers get interviewed?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Gongshow McFart

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
RacistGuidingBitch

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Go to indie shows and do short shoot interviews with weird fans there.

Nobody else does it and it will probably make you feel less weird and I would watch if to feel better about myself.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

RacistGuidingBitch

I'm pleased to provide you guidance.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Reconsider.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I'm considering making and selling better shoot interviews than this person.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

sportsgenius86 posted:

Go to indie shows and do short shoot interviews with weird fans there.

Nobody else does it and it will probably make you feel less weird and I would watch if to feel better about myself.

I would definitely watch something like someone going to Reseda for a big PWG show and doing a pro wrestling Heavy Metal Parking Lot

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

That DICK! posted:

I'm considering making and selling better shoot interviews than this person.

Can I be on the show?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Uh, don't? Everything you've laid out just sounds like this is completely the wrong direction to go. Wrestling-wise you're in the middle of nowhere, you have no name in the industry aside from being that guy goons ragged on for liking TNA waaaaay back when and you have no clue on what to ask a wrestler if you get them to even agree to do a shoot interview. If you continue down this road, you're going to end up making a substandard shoot where the wrestler is likely going to be confrontational and unwilling to answer your Qs because A. you didn't do your homework and don't know poo poo and/or B. they don't know you at all and just see you as a quick easy payday. You'd be out several thousand without anything substantial produced.

But like, if asking Kevin Nash "how big is Batista's dick" is a part of your bucket list by all means go for it.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
My advice was genuine. Did it not come off as such

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Do not even ask posted:

Uh, don't? Everything you've laid out just sounds like this is completely the wrong direction to go. Wrestling-wise you're in the middle of nowhere, you have no name in the industry aside from being that guy goons ragged on for liking TNA waaaaay back when and you have no clue on what to ask a wrestler if you get them to even agree to do a shoot interview. If you continue down this road, you're going to end up making a substandard shoot where the wrestler is likely going to be confrontational and unwilling to answer your Qs because A. you didn't do your homework and don't know poo poo and/or B. they don't know you at all and just see you as a quick easy payday. You'd be out several thousand without anything substantial produced.

But like, if asking Kevin Nash "how big is Batista's dick" is a part of your bucket list by all means go for it.

unactionable.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Stand in front of your TV and ask a question and then hold the microphone to the TV and unpause the airing of old wrestling shows you had on there so it makes you look like you're asking Macho Man a question and he's responding.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HerraS posted:

have you considered just shooting something else? yourself that is, HA

dont do this

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Stand in front of your TV and ask a question and then hold the microphone to the TV and unpause the airing of old wrestling shows you had on there so it makes you look like you're asking Macho Man a question and he's responding.

If he were to cut between footage of himself asking questions and actual wrestling footage, keep it under 5 minutes, and upload to YouTube that might actually work. Granted the only money he'd get is from YouTube ad money but it'd be cheap to produce and seems like the kind of dumb thing that'd get an audience on YouTube. He'd still have to execute it right though and this thread doesn't really instill confidence.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I'm considering making and selling gingerbread caricatures of WWE legends.

How do I make gingerbread?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Solus posted:

I'm considering making and selling gingerbread caricatures of WWE legends.

How do I make gingerbread?

Increase Sheamus's merch output and I'm sure he'd see more money.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Interview Rovert god dammit!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Can I be on the show?

Will you be my ed McMahon

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goon project.

We can call it Super Wrestling At the Pagoda!

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

don't shoot yourself there's plenty to live for my dude

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Getting Heat: Cooking shoot interview with Kevin Nash

that or a podcast on the people who really matter-people who post about wrestling.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hire local indy guys to do their impressions of big industry names and answer questions as them

Sink as much of your own money into this project as you can

Drop your nest egg to fly out the biggest name you possibly can, and ask him really probing questions, then follow him with your camcorder as he leaves, offended that you'd ask him if he ever smelled Linda McMahon fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i am available for shoot interviews

• Locked thread