Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

I just started on this and am up to episode 6 in Season 1. This is some drat good TV.

Episode 6 was so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

New EW article:

The Leftovers: First look at the final season

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Damon Lindelof posted:

And there’s also something about Australian cinema — it’s primal, ancient and spiritual

Uh, no? Weird cultural assumptions you've got going on there buddy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah he should have said it's poo poo. Like Rabbit Proof Fence and Animal Kingdom.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hey now, Little Fish is great and Australian.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah he should have said it's poo poo. Like Rabbit Proof Fence and Animal Kingdom.

I love those films. I also enjoy Muriel's Wedding and The Castle. But I wouldn't describe local film the way that Lindelof does. It just seems like a really inaccurate way to describe the industry.

Maybe if he was just talking about tourism ads, I'd believe him, but he's not.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I don't know poo poo about Australian cinema, but it's possible that he's watched other films than you guys, no? The man knows what he's doing, that's why we are reading this thread.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nah. Prometheus and Tomorrowland and World War Z has Lindelof written all over them and they stink. Leftovers has to be a fluke.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bolivar posted:

I don't know poo poo about Australian cinema, but it's possible that he's watched other films than you guys, no? The man knows what he's doing, that's why we are reading this thread.

I'm Australian, and I work in film, so I hope that counts for something.

Like, honestly, describing Australian film as "primal, ancient and spiritual" is a bit doofy and patronising. But hopefully the show won't be?

If Ernie Dingo turns up as a wise Aboriginal man, or one of the Garveys goes on walkabout, I'll call shenanigans though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

one of the Garveys goes on walkabou

I feel like this is almost guaranteed to happen.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
"Oy, that's not a normal kangaroo mate..."

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Like, honestly, describing Australian film as "primal, ancient and spiritual" is a bit doofy and patronising. But hopefully the show won't be?

If Ernie Dingo turns up as a wise Aboriginal man, or one of the Garveys goes on walkabout, I'll call shenanigans though.

Yeah, the only Australian film which comes to mind is Picnic at Hanging Rock. It'll be a good season if they can get a similar tone as that movie.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Can't wait

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Niwrad posted:

The soundtrack to this show is so good.

I am also in love with the soundtrack (in addition to the show). Max Richter also did the soundtrack for Miss Sloane; I only listened once a few weeks ago and while I do remember thinking it had what I would consider a signature of what I grew to like in the Leftovers soundtrack, I can't say it hooked me as well.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

Aexo posted:

I am also in love with the soundtrack (in addition to the show). Max Richter also did the soundtrack for Miss Sloane; I only listened once a few weeks ago and while I do remember thinking it had what I would consider a signature of what I grew to like in the Leftovers soundtrack, I can't say it hooked me as well.

His music is very hit or (sort of) miss for me, but if you like him you should check out the soundtrack for Waltz With Bashir, it's great.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

New trailer:

https://www.facebook.com/TheLeftoversHBO/videos/1854919484746138/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Welp, I'm pumped. Looking forward to whatever trailer that comes next that shows more footage (aside from, y'know... the actual show itself).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

I was just about to post I bet David Gulpilil will be in this season and then I watched the trailer and I'm pretty sure that's him in it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Leftovers returns on Easter. Nice touch.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Someone plz photoshop the skywriting to say "LOST really messed a lot of people up"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
so i just watched both seasons of this show recently. watched all of season 1 in one day because i thought it was amazing and got a bit burned out on season 2 as it only seemed so-so.

and then we went to the hotel with kevin and i loved it again. i'm super excited for the 3rd season. also super excited for all the lost parallels because i loving love lost and am glad this is like lost with much better pacing/plotting.

i kinda hope we find out if (s2 spoilers) tommy is faking or not though. then again...if it works who's to say it really isn't real? maybe tommy is just a parallel for the placebo effect

i mostly wanna know (s1 spoilers) what the hell kevin wished for when he was with holy wayne. to have a family again?

or was wayne just a huge fraud like he feared? i dunno. i really liked holy wayne and i was a bit sad he doesn't seem to play much into the plot anymore.

but then again, i should probably prep myself for never getting this stuff answered.

also matt is the best character and he makes me think of john locke constantly which makes me extremely worried for him this season :ohdear:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

New poster is :mmmhmm:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm still baffled that season 2 followed up the mediocre season 1 by instead being one the best things of the year right alongside Fargo.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Season one wasn't mediocre, it was Good. Get your facts straight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

I'm still baffled that season 2 followed up the mediocre season 1 by instead being one the best things of the year right alongside Fargo.
The improvement of Leftovers S2 over S1 was mirrored by the dropover of Fargo S2 from S1.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I started watching the show on a recommendation from my BF and went into it blind and I was blown away. Super pumped for the new season even if it is a bit of a wait. Kind of a shame it's only eight episodes, but it'll probably keep the storytelling tight.

I'm not really one to rewatch episodes right away, but the end of season 2 got me to. That music gets me every time it's used and using it for Kevin and John walking home after everything just felt really poignant.

I'm gonna rewatch both seasons before this one comes out, because boy howdy I am terrible at remembering character names. I had to go on Wikipedia to look up Kevin and John's names, and they're two of the main characters.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

You should go back and rewatch it before season 3. This is what I thought too, but going back I actually liked season 1 way more

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Noooope, no one is convincing me to suffer through that borefest agian. Bar episode 3 and the final 2 everything about season 1 is mediocre when taken as a whole.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ugh, gonna do a rewatch anyway and introduce my mum to it properly. My brother's fiancée worked on the show for this season so mum's heard a bit about it already, but there's just so much else on we haven't had time. :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I rewatched both seasons and s1 definitely improves a lot but is still far, far below s2.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I really enjoyed the "Dreamtime" / afterlife episodes and hope there is more of that in Season 3.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
New teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOWrp7QlW4c

April 16th can't get here soon enough.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just finished the first season. Much better than I remembered, although Tommy's storyline was about as tiresome as it was before.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

drunkill posted:

Dear god... :stare:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Looks like some end-of-the-world poo poo!! I'm pumped!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HOLY poo poo THAT JUST MADE THE FREAK THE gently caress OUT

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Cannot loving wait. I so very much hope they never explain wtf really happened too they do such a remarkable job of nailing that everything and everyone is slightly unhinged after this crazy poo poo we can never explain happened type feeling that I never want to see that end

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

drunkill posted:

Please prepare for final departure

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

gosh darn it people I thought ep1 had dropped.
see you in april!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Season 3 looks like Totally Insane poo poo: The TV Show

Magnificent. I hope we get a rad new intro and song, too.

• Locked thread