Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Last Chance posted:

Laurie lost her unborn child.
Again, it's implied but never confirmed. This is a Damon Lindelof show. We don't know the full story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Patties husband choked on a chicken bone. Megs mom died the day before the departure. Evy lived in a town where no one departed. Laurie lost a wad of meat growing in her stomach.

I think Nora may be the only cast member who really lost anything in the departure.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Just finished rewatching season 1 and 2 and 2 is better and I've never seen lost.

Thanks

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

UmOk posted:

Patties husband choked on a chicken bone. Megs mom died the day before the departure. Evy lived in a town where no one departed. Laurie lost a wad of meat growing in her stomach.

I think Nora may be the only cast member who really lost anything in the departure.

There was Aimee in season 1 who, it's implied IIRC, lost her entire family to the Depature. Hence why she was living at Kevin's the entire season. Also Matt's wife went into a coma simultaneously to the Depature, so it's not like she (and he) weren't directly affected by the event.

I disagree about Laurie, though. But losing your unborn child, even if it's just in stillbirth, can really gently caress you up. I don't disagree that her child was just a lump of meat -- technically though, who isn't -- but she still lost a potential someone to the Departure and not to, you know, natural causes.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Wait, Ann Dowd wasn't even nominated for her season 2 performance? No one on the show was?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ausmund posted:

They behaved more like college kids on summer break

That's because it's a slasher movie in space. It's not a coincidence that that one dude gets killed immediately after turning his space helmet into a bong.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ausmund posted:

Again, it's implied but never confirmed. This is a Damon Lindelof show. We don't know the full story.

....LOST hosed up a lot of people

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The only thing that I think is better in season 1 than in season 2 is the fact that Holy Wayne had more screentime.

And Laurie definitely did lose her baby, they tell you directly through the visuals rather than through dialogue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gorn Myson posted:

The only thing that I think is better in season 1 than in season 2 is the fact that Holy Wayne had more screentime.

And Laurie definitely did lose her baby, they tell you directly through the visuals rather than through dialogue.

Yeah, I don't know why people aren't just accepting this. Implied and not shown, great, but using this as an argument against it possibly happening?

No, it loving happened.

Anyway, I think a lot of posters who are making GBS threads on season 2 might have only binged it. I remember us all loving it in this thread as it aired. Maybe that has something to do with it?

:iiam: so I'll let it be.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At the very least s2 doesn't have anything as crap as the stolen baby jesus episode

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

I really liked Holy Wayne...only after he died and it throws whether what he was actually doing was real into question. It reminded me of pushing the button in the Hatch in S2 of LOST

It's a very Lindelof thing to do, so I imagine we'll never really know for sure. Tommy's antics in Season 2 seem to imply it wasn't real though...unless he was lying about faking it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

At the very least s2 doesn't have anything as crap as the stolen baby jesus episode
I liked that episode. It was nice little exploration of Kevin, his daughter, and their relationship- something season 2 abandoned almost entirely, unfortunately.

axeil posted:

I really liked Holy Wayne...only after he died and it throws whether what he was actually doing was real into question. It reminded me of pushing the button in the Hatch in S2 of LOST
Yeah Wayne's death scene actually did a lot to humanize his character. It really does make me think all of his posturing and such was as much an attempt to convince himself that what what he was doing was real as much as everyone else.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 7, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
s2 was loving epic and if you don't like it you can kiss my italian rear end

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

axeil posted:

It's a very Lindelof thing to do, so I imagine we'll never really know for sure. Tommy's antics in Season 2 seem to imply it wasn't real though...unless he was lying about faking it.

I'm still hoping for resolution on the 'wish' Kevin got to make when he found Wayne in S1; also, I liked that whole plot thread of 'was it real or a placebo effect' like when Nora got a hug back in season 1 (didn't she pay like $10,000, or am I getting plot points mixed up?) and Tommy 'inheriting' Wayne's 'gift'. It might just be the music, but that scene from S2 where he's talking to the GR 'rescuees' about Holy Wayne and finishes with 'Now who wants a hug?' was just great.

Some very vague reviews for the final season have dropped; and they sound really positive. But, yanno, grain of salt when 'Lindelof' is misspelled and performances are referred to as 'gut-retching'

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I didn't binge watch season two and I still think season one was better. I'm not saying season two was poo poo, it's just that I enjoyed everyone's story in season one more than two. The imaginary Patty thing was trying. The "afterlife" was mostly nonsense. I liked getting to know the Murphys and the suspense Kevin had trying to not get caught.

I'm rewatching it now though, so maybe my opinion will be swayed on further review.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Did anybody say season 2 was bad? Pretty sure a lot of poster just said they like 1 better.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think I'd say season 2 is a bad season of television- l just find a lot of directions it went to either not be as strong as the stuff season 1 did or a little too blatantly pulled from relatively popular movies, some of which are from the last several years.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Season 2 is the second best season of television.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aexo posted:

I didn't binge watch season two and I still think season one was better. I'm not saying season two was poo poo, it's just that I enjoyed everyone's story in season one more than two. The imaginary Patty thing was trying. The "afterlife" was mostly nonsense. I liked getting to know the Murphys and the suspense Kevin had trying to not get caught.

I'm rewatching it now though, so maybe my opinion will be swayed on further review.

Raxivace posted:

I don't think I'd say season 2 is a bad season of television- l just find a lot of directions it went to either not be as strong as the stuff season 1 did or a little too blatantly pulled from relatively popular movies, some of which are from the last several years.

These are two very good opinions that i share.

I thought it was super obvious that season was based in an actual literary novel, and written by an actual author. It has a much more literary angle to it, much tighter narrative, much better focus.

Then Lindelof takes over and it becomes gimmicky bullshit with a magic black negro afterlife guide who is called Virgil.

Again, I'm not saying Season 2 is bad. It was very enjoyable on a superficial level. Basically the same as Lost. But Season 1 actually made me think about the themes it explores: loss, faith, what it means to be human. Season 2 didn't make me consider these things at all, i was just following the narrative to see what silly unexplained gimmick they would come up with. But there's no depth there.

Season 1 has the literary quality of The Wire, Mad Men, The Sopranos and lately I have also put Season 2 of Fargo in this category.

Season 2 is much more like GoT, or Lost. Enjoyable for what they are, but ultimately superficial entertainment.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

Season 2 is much more like GoT, or Lost. Enjoyable for what they are, but ultimately superficial entertainment.

Well at least now I know to ignore you from now on :v:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I ended up not liking most of the characters by the end of last season, so I'm mostly watching for Carrie Coon now because she's great and needs to be in everything.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Starting my rewatch, I miss Dog Man and Aimee

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Why yes I'd like some fan service with my promos

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Season 1 is much better as a binge show, on Ep 3 now

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Sad and wrong!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Every review I have read so far is super positive on season 3. Nothing but unqualified praise. Can't way to see how they manage to do that after the high bar set by season 2.

HanabaL03 posted:

Wait, Ann Dowd wasn't even nominated for her season 2 performance? No one on the show was?

Carrie Coon won a critics choice award. But that was it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Sad and wrong!

I meant in comparison to the first time I watched it, S2 is the better season

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forgot how much fun watching God making GBS threads on Ned Flanders Matt was!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
btw, if you like The Leftovers, check out the novel Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. It reminded me of that a lot.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
season 1 is better than season 2 and season 2 is better than season 1

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I can't wait until we throw another season into this neverending battle over the best season of The Leftovers. I really wanna see s1 v s2 v s3.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's all good you can like whichever season more just as long as you like the show. If you didn't like the show period then get the gently caress out and find a magic man to give you a hug.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Invalid Validation posted:

It's all good you can like whichever season more just as long as you like the show. If you didn't like the show period then get the gently caress out and find a magic man to give you a hug.

God, seriously. Now I know what it must have been like having a bunch of Lost haters around while during the first few seasons (I didn't start watching till mid-season 5).

No wait, actually I already knew what it's like (see BSG threads in re: doctor thodt).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah LOST screwed a lot of people up. Anyway, I'm enjoying S1 much more than I did the first time around, I suspect I will start to hate Meg more again

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
WTF does LOST screwed people up even mean?

If you didn't like LOST you probably won't like Leftovers.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

UmOk posted:

WTF does LOST screwed people up even mean?

If you didn't like LOST you probably won't like Leftovers.

I think it's just that you can't go into the Leftovers expecting any sort of answers regarding what happened during the disappearance. Watching LOST week to week for years it was absolutely impossible to not come up with theories about what was going on and what things meant. Not that the character development and themes and poo poo were worthless once you definitively found out they were all really dead, but the theories were impossible to ignore. With the Leftovers we at least know we aren't going to get answers so dips into the mythicism or supernatural or you whatever you want to call it happen and you don't have to search for" physical" literal meaning.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

once you definitively found out they were all really dead,

They weren't. I still can't believe people misunderstood the finale this badly.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Eh whatever point still stands

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Open Source Idiom posted:

There was Aimee in season 1 who, it's implied IIRC, lost her entire family to the Depature. Hence why she was living at Kevin's the entire season. Also Matt's wife went into a coma simultaneously to the Depature, so it's not like she (and he) weren't directly affected by the event.

I thought she just didn't get along with her own family. She definitely never says or even hints that she lost anyone in the Departure. I know teenagers often try to act tough and hide their feelings but that's pushing it.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm still hoping for resolution on the 'wish' Kevin got to make when he found Wayne in S1;

Its implied that he wished to have his family back together, but when he arrived back home he had a new family unit instead: New girlfriend, new baby, even a new dog.

Supercar Gautier posted:

They weren't. I still can't believe people misunderstood the finale this badly.

It's just become a lazy meme at this point. People repeating it don't care about the actual show.

To be fair, the finale isn't really complete without "The New Man in Charge" epilogue episode that should really have aired at the same time instead of being withheld, IIRC, for the DVDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There's literally a scene in the finale where Jack's dad explains to him that the island was all real, but the place they're in now isn't. Yet I still have conversations with people I know who claim "it was such bullshit, they were in purgatory all along!"

Maybe that's what people mean when they say Lost broke people. The show broke their ability to believe what a TV show is telling them even when it's directly telling them something because they're too deep into their own theory.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Its implied that he wished to have his family back together, but when he arrived back home he had a new family unit instead: New girlfriend, new baby, even a new dog.
Also his ex-wife showed up.

• Locked thread