Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your ROTY (Remaster Of The Year) for 2016?
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Special Edition
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (3DS)
Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
Resident Evil 4/5/6 Remastered
Darksiders: Warforged Edition
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Gravity Rush Remastered
Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition
Shadow Complex Remastered
Dark Cloud 2 (PS4)
Titan Quest Anniversary Edition
View Results

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It's no secret that video game remasters are becoming a bigger and bigger deal every year. At long last, game publishers seem to finally be embracing the lucrative power of nostalgia! Making a remastered game- especially a game from the last decade- takes so little time, effort and money that one has to wonder why anybody would bother making a new, original video game ever again. Hell, if anything, the recent Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered vs. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare kerfuffle proves that a remastered game from ten years ago can actually get MORE hype and positive reception than an expensive new project! Another advantage is that the original developers don't even have to do it themselves! There are plenty of Chinese companies willing to remaster games for so cheap that you'd think their low wages would be some kind of human rights violation.

But something bothered me recently. I was SUPER stoked for this year's The Game Awards (I even planned to go all out and make a giant likeness of Geoff Keighley on my floor with Doritos but I ended up just eating them all instead :P) I was so sure that this year would be the year that the The Game Awards commission would finally allow remastered games to be counted among the nominees in various categories (can you imagine a game winning Game Of The Year... TWICE? SQUEEEEE) I felt really distraught after seeing the list of nominees in the weeks before the show. It seemed that, despite all the hard work that many developers put into their remasters over the last year, none of them would be getting the recognition they sorely deserved... but I wasn't afraid. I had an inkling that Keighley was taking a note from his industry BFF, the fantastic auteur Hideo Kojima, and preparing a truly epic Ruse Cruise on the gaming community- that, after the coveted Game Of The Year award was given, the stage would light up with amazing visuals dedicated to the amazing games of yesteryear, and an amazing Remaster Of The Year award would be presented! I was on pins and needles the entire show, looking for any and all hints of such an award coming up (I had to take twice as much hypertension medication to keep myself from over-stressing throughout the show!) My fingers were raw and bloody from me biting them so much by the time Geoff got to the GOTY award. I was so ecstatic. But then... nothing. No secret award. No fanfare, or even a minor shoutout, to all of the amazing remasters of 2016. I was crushed. Devastated. I couldn't believe that Geoff Keighley would betray the gaming community like this.

After several hours of attempting to look up Geoff's home address (not for anything sinister, mind you... I just feel so passionately about this that a letter, tweet or email really isn't enough, I need to loving SHOUT out how I feel at him to truly get it across) I had an idea. Just because Geoff is too loving ignorant to consider this category's viability doesn't mean the rest of us have to be! In fact, I'm going to host my very own Imp Zone Remaster Of The Year (ROTY) Awards for 2016!

So, vote! All of you! Whether as a matter of enhanced playability, game content additions, or graphical overhauls, VOTE for what title you feel deserves to be recognized as 2016's REMASTER OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Lumpy the Cook fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

gently caress you

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Easily The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dragon Quest VII 3DS because its a much better game than the original

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Skyrim gets my vote, but also possibly just because it's the most fresh in my brain, as I've had a bit of a binge on it over the past few weeks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The PS4 has been out for 2 years and sony has released 14 console exclusives and 6 of them are remasters of PS3 games.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

The PS4 has been out for 2 years and sony has released 14 console exclusives and 6 of them are remasters of PS3 games.

Thank God.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dark Cloud 2 on PS4

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition, OP

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Dark Cloud 2 on PS4

qnqnx posted:

Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition, OP

Oh yeah, I forgot... Could a kind moderator add these?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

watching that psx presentation was nuts, that they are still leaning on so many remasters

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My vote is for call of duty 4: modern warfare which I consider to be the absolute peak of human civilization.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

watching that psx presentation was nuts, that they are still leaning on so many remasters

How hard could it possibly be to record like 10 new songs for a PaRappa game if you're going to go through the trouble of producing HD versions of those PSX assets

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

looks like its time to buy a ps4

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

How hard could it possibly be to record like 10 new songs for a PaRappa game if you're going to go through the trouble of producing HD versions of those PSX assets

they closed the studio that made the wipeout games after the vita bombed but uhhh we need more remasters so lets put their last game out again

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Resident Evil 4 HD was my pick, probably because it's one of the best games ever made. Hope this helps OP.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Dragon Quest VII 3DS because its a much better game than the original

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Fool of Win

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

New Ratchet and Clank is a remake, not a remaster.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Day of the Tentacle Remaster has a radial dial instead of the old UI.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It's definitely Killer7 HD, OP.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

NickRoweFillea posted:

It's definitely Killer7 HD, OP.
gently caress off.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bill Barber posted:

gently caress off.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

mysterious loyall X posted:

gently caress you

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I like Gravity rush

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnpbd9mlCJE

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Resident Evil 4 HD was my pick, probably because it's one of the best games ever made. Hope this helps OP.

Every time this game is rereleased it should be GOTY tbh

E: but ROTY would be between it and Titan Quest

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gonna have to go with Twilight Princess HD, simply for the awesome Midna amiibo it came with.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

ill be so bummed if the switch is all wii u rereleases

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

elf help book posted:

i'd really like to have Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta on it, so i disagree

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i bet there will be quite a few because nobody bought a wii u and if a lot of people buy a switch it will be like new games ofr them

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

i bet there will be quite a few because nobody bought a wii u and if a lot of people buy a switch it will be like new games ofr them

it makes sense to do it, but ill still be sad about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

it makes sense to do it, but ill still be sad about it

THe only one I want is Mario Maker because its Important

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mario Maker definitely needs to come to Switch

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Will we get Wii remasters for the Switch? A Super Mario Galaxy Duology perhaps?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Will we get Wii remasters for the Switch? A Super Mario Galaxy Duology perhaps?

I assume it wil be VC releases like the Wii U was.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dq7, but titan quest is also up there. that was a nice unexpected walk thru memory lane

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

I assume it wil be VC releases like the Wii U was.

You're probably right. Anyway, I voted DQ7 even though I haven't beaten it yet. Cheers

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DQ7, but odin sphere nd dark cloud 2 are up there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Probably RE4, but Dragon's Doge PC would be up there for me

• Locked thread