Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...sorry I need a place for Star Wars chat that isn't CD.

Here's 40 minutes of trailers, tv spots, clips and more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKrh9wHe-Xo

Here is some music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QPnOHXnU0

Blowing poo poo up is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzX0jyZ2V84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Rogue One is going to be just as good as Force Awakens..

I hope...

:ohdear:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I made this gif for a friend, GIP should enjoy it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:) How can you shoot wookies and ewoks?

:haw: Easy. You just don't lead 'em so much!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genocide Tendency posted:

I hope...

:ohdear:

I actually think it will be. I think TFA was a good movie, but it had the unfortunate task of having to make people hyped about Star Wars again, so it was a far more conservative film in many regards. I think we're going to get a film that allows a lot more variety in themes and ideas and I think it's going to work out nicely primary because it's a war movie referencing WWII and Vietnam, though devoid of the lame rear end attempt of some of the writers to insert current politics into the movie. Also as a die hard Godzilla nerd I really feel Gareth Edwards made a good Godzilla film so I trust him with Star Wars...regardless of the reshoot rumors...also thank God Josh Trank spazed out and will never touch Star Wars.

I am so hyped about the return of Darth Vadar even if it is only 5-10 minutes. It was cool seeing JEJ back doing Darth Vader on Star Wars Rebel (it's not bad, but just apply the rule of Clone Wars, so of it's really good and some of it early on is poo poo...also Grand Moff Tarkin is in it so plus +1 anyway) , his voice is a bit different, but still very much Darth. It was really cool of him to come back for a kids cartoon show. But even ignoring Darth I think the movie has a lot going for it in terms of setting, locales, HK47 esque droids (Also for Sherlock Holmes fans go look up the v/a for HK), and more.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 13, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I actually think it will be. I think TFA was a good movie, but it had the unfortunate task of having to make people hyped about Star Wars again, so it was a far more conservative film in many regards. I think we're going to get a film that allows a lot more variety in themes and ideas and I think it's going to work out nicely primary because it's a war movie referencing WWII and Vietnam, though devoid of the lame rear end attempt of some of the writers to insert current politics into the movie. Also as a die hard Godzilla nerd I really feel Gareth Edwards made a good Godzilla film so I trust him with Star Wars...regardless of the reshoot rumors...also thank God Josh Trank spazed out and will never touch Star Wars.

I am so hyped about the return of Darth Vadar even if it is only 5-10 minutes. It was cool seeing JEJ back doing Darth Vader on Star Wars Rebel (it's not bad, but just apply the rule of Clone Wars, so of it's really good and some of it early on is poo poo...also Grand Moff Tarkin is in it so plus +1 anyway) , his voice is a bit different, but still very much Darth. It was really cool of him to come back for a kids cartoon show. But even ignoring Darth I think the movie has a lot going for it in terms of setting, locales, HK47 esque droids (Also for Sherlock Holmes fans go look up the v/a for HK), and more.

I 100% agree with this logic.

I think reactions to the rumored reshoots were over reactions by some. They are incredibly common so it's not a huge deal. The director getting fired, constant turnover in the writing staff or the director saying he's going to use the Alan Smithee pseudonym would be far greater indications of a poo poo movie.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Reviews of Rogue One are coming out today. Seems good so far, not ESB good but good.

Though I'll be quite honest. The film could be just 120 minutes of the Rebellion preflighting and revving up X-Wings and I'd still watch it happily in theaters a half a dozen times.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

Though I'll be quite honest. The film could be just 120 minutes of the Rebellion preflighting and revving up X-Wings and I'd still watch it happily in theaters a half a dozen times.

:same:

Also Darth Vader saying more than Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I heard they had to reshoot the ending because it was too dark, which makes me think that all the heroes in the movie died at the end so they had to make some of them live. That's kind of dumb but it's still new Star Wars so I'm hype as gently caress to see it on Friday night

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Look at the ol pedophile Rich Brody that the New Yorker dug out of the dungeon to review RO:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/rogue-one-reviewed-is-it-time-to-abandon-the-star-wars-franchise

lol

From the same guy who wrote

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-the-seven-star-wars-films-reveal-about-george-lucas

quote:

What endures for the critics and their lay associates, for aesthetes who live for the beauty and the pleasure of movies, is Lucas’s directing—of two films, “Attack of the Clones” and, especially, “Revenge of the Sith.” If Lucas had done nothing else in his life, he’d have an honored place in my personal pantheon for that work.

It’s easy for me to say so, because I only just saw those films now, after a few days of not-quite-binge-watching of the Blu-ray set of the series. I’m nearly a “Star Wars” newbie.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-the-gently caress-high-was-this-new-yorker-guy-when-he-wrote-1790058128

quote:

Listen. I am not going to try to unpack and critique the bonkers Rogue One review published by the New Yorker’s Richard Brody today. I do not even know where to begin. I am just going to blockquote some portions down below this paragraph, and I invite you to join me in making halting, inarticulate, baffled vocalizations at them.

“Rogue One” Reviewed: Is It Time to Abandon the “Star Wars” Franchise?

Constrained by a flat and inexpressive script, the film’s director lets neither the characters nor…
Read more on newyorker.​com
Here are some things Richard Brody wrote about a PG-13 space adventure movie about space good guys and space bad guys firing space lasers at each other.

The director of “Rogue One,” Gareth Edwards, has stepped into a mythopoetic stew so half-baked and overcooked, a morass of pre-instantly overanalyzed implications of such shuddering impact to the series’ fundamentalists, that he lumbers through, seemingly stunned or constrained or cautious to the vanishing point of passivity, and lets neither the characters nor the formidable cast of actors nor even the special effects, of which he has previously proved himself to be a master, come anywhere close to life.
I ... buh ... yuh ... whi—

Whether the downplaying of the formidable cast’s charismatic energies is an intentional downplaying of the potential risk to the characters that they play—whether it’s a matter of not actually allowing viewers to get too attached to characters or actors, not allowing viewers to be bummed out by bad news but rather breezing past it in a spirit of fealty not to these characters or performers but to the franchise—is the kind of corporate Kremlinology that would rightly take the place of criticism in assessing the substance and tone of the movie.
Wha—

There’s none of the Shakespearean space politics, enticingly florid dialogue, or experiential thrills of the best of George Lucas’s “Star Wars” entries (“Attack of the Clones” and “Revenge of the Sith”).
[falls out of chair]

Zuuuhhhhhhhhhh????????

tldr: rogue one is probably pretty good, but it appears the usual suspects will post reviews au contrarian for the clicks

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Can't we all just enjoy a good space opera with lasers and space wizards??

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days
Never got into Star Wars but I hope you guys enjoy it :)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Naked Bear posted:

Can't we all just enjoy a good space opera with lasers and space wizards??

Time to repost this- the short answer is no, you cannot enjoy a good space opera with lasers and space wizards because to do so directly undermines the space class struggle.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/12/star-wars-the-force-awakens-empire-joseph-campbell-george-lucas/

Best quote:

quote:

As any good student of Mao knows, a revolutionary movement can only succeed if it wins the trust of the people; holding territory is a game played by the State, not those trying to overthrow it. We never see the rebels being sheltered from Stormtroopers by grateful peasants (while they do ally with the Ewoks, it’s with a fully colonial sense of entitlement); we never see Alliance propaganda being passed around in secret by the oppressed; we never see any indication that this armed faction has any kind of popular mandate whatsoever. It’s not just infantile bourgeois ultraleftism — Blanquism in space.

At the end of The Empire Strikes Back, we see for the first time a full Rebel Alliance fleet; vast blobby spaceships to rival the Empire’s. Aren’t warships expensive? Who’s funding these people? Consider that when we see that fleet, it’s positioned outside the Galaxy. There’s a name for groups like the Rebel Alliance. Not freedom fighters, but Contras, right-wing death squads.

:chord:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

I 100% agree with this logic.

I think reactions to the rumored reshoots were over reactions by some. They are incredibly common so it's not a huge deal. The director getting fired, constant turnover in the writing staff or the director saying he's going to use the Alan Smithee pseudonym would be far greater indications of a poo poo movie.

I'll put it this way, Josh Trank, set the golden standard for gently caress ups with the Fantastic Four, until you get close to him, you're doing pretty good.

Kind of surprised the soundtrack hasn't leaked out yet, or oddly enough Amazon can't even put up a digital pre-order yet.

Oh Alexander Freed is doing the novelization and Johnathon Davis is doing narration for the audio book.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 14, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Man the hot takes about this movie are going to be insufferable.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Man the hot takes about this movie are going to be insufferable.

I had this literal discussion in my office 1 hour ago, what gives

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Zeris posted:

I had this literal discussion in my office 1 hour ago, what gives

I blame people acting like Star Wars is suddenly political (it's always been a little political, most media is)

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

suboptimal posted:

Time to repost this- the short answer is no, you cannot enjoy a good space opera with lasers and space wizards because to do so directly undermines the space class struggle.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/12/star-wars-the-force-awakens-empire-joseph-campbell-george-lucas/

Best quote:

:chord:

I mean it takes like playing 10 minutes of KOTOR 1/2 or SWTOR to realize both sides of the force are shitheads but lol class struggle in a loving movie about waving laser swords around to deflect other lasers

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I blame people acting like Star Wars is suddenly political (it's always been a little political, most media is)

I blame people beating the Tr*mp money-horse into any headline possible for mega c-c-c-combo clicks

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bolow posted:

I mean it takes like playing 10 minutes of KOTOR 1/2 or SWTOR to realize both sides of the force are shitheads but lol class struggle in a loving movie about waving laser swords around to deflect other lasers

I honestly hope there is very little laser sword waving in this movie. If there's one thing I am hoping for with the Star Wars one-off movies it's that they're less reliant on the Force and lightsabers and more just cool movies that happen to be set in Star Wars

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Bolow posted:

But one must ask why we laud the stories of the Jedi Knight and the Sith Lord- both symbols of the galactic equivalent of the landed gentry- while failing to acknowledge that every X-Wing, every TIE interceptor had a veritable army of unknown workers behind them? Who sings their songs? Who tells their tales? Why do we dance ever so closely to the tantalizing conclusion that the Force is Capital itself- the unseen presence that surrounds us, binds us and penetrates us- without ever fully embracing it?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Obi-Wan wept on the day of the purge, the proletariat cheered.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I seriously cannot seem to get hype about anything Disney is making anymore. I think I am marketed out or some poo poo, this movie looks decent but i just can't work up the energy to give a poo poo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booblord Zagats posted:

I seriously cannot seem to get hype about anything Disney is making anymore. I think I am marketed out or some poo poo, this movie looks decent but i just can't work up the energy to give a poo poo.

Vader and Tarkin.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I want to watch storm troopers shoot badly and Darth Vader be the coolest loving villain ever.

Also those plucky upstart rebels.

People who don't shut the gently caress up about some deeper meaning are the worst god drat kind.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Initial reports from Facebook are positive.

quote:

ROGUE ONE WAS AWESOME

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

suboptimal posted:

But one must ask why we laud the stories of the Jedi Knight and the Sith Lord- both symbols of the galactic equivalent of the landed gentry- while failing to acknowledge that every X-Wing, every TIE interceptor had a veritable army of unknown workers behind them? Who sings their songs? Who tells their tales? Why do we dance ever so closely to the tantalizing conclusion that the Force is Capital itself- the unseen presence that surrounds us, binds us and penetrates us- without ever fully embracing it?

Well Tie Fighter is the best Star Wars game they've ever made so 90's era Lucas Arts?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Movie was awesome. I enjoyed it a ton, also CGI for deaging and resurrecting is pretty drat amazing now.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Movie was legit and awesome. Really not sure what loving movie the New Yorker guy watched but holy poo poo.

More please.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Trip report movie owns go see immediately

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vader at the end.

:stare:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The Tarkin and Leia CGI was a little uncanny, but drat if that wasn't a good movie.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Its worth the $15 IMAX ticket.

Its great.

also an ending that will bring a tear to the eye of GIP.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
My dad went and saw it with my godfather lastnight (which is surprising as they never go to the movies) and both loved it, so now I guess I am kinda pumped to see it eventually

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Movie owns. Grittier stormtroopers and combat in the vein of The Force Awakens, Bon Mothma and Leia reprise their roles IRL and Grand Moff Tarkin is cgi'd in, poo poo owns. New types of stormtroopers and Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen as kung fu Force adherents

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Fuuuuuck I was planning on seeing it with my parents on Xmas but I might sneak off and have my own private viewing? Is it a movie you can watch twice and enjoy?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Fuuuuuck I was planning on seeing it with my parents on Xmas but I might sneak off and have my own private viewing? Is it a movie you can watch twice and enjoy?

Ya def. action scenes are dope

Can we make this thread a spoiler zone pls :saddowns:

Way better imo. I just didn't like force awakens at all

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Maybe it's just me but Vader's voice just seemed off for some reason, felt they could have definitely done better. There's not a lot of him--but I will say if you wanted to see some Vader you'll be pleasantly surprised :stare:

Pesticide20 posted:

I honestly hope there is very little laser sword waving in this movie. If there's one thing I am hoping for with the Star Wars one-off movies it's that they're less reliant on the Force and lightsabers and more just cool movies that happen to be set in Star Wars

Ya nope not really any..

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 17, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

also an ending that will bring a tear to the eye of GIP.

I remember thinking the same thing at the end, :lol:

The Tarkin CGI was weird at first but it grew on me quickly. I was amazed at how well done it was.

Also seeing literally 90% of the Rebels getting waxed at the end of the movie was worth it because it showed Disney is willing to let this franchise be a little dark and acknowledge the War in the title.

Got drat, this movie was awesome.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Definitely. I'm going again if I can find the dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Vader at the end.

:stare:

Yeah holy poo poo

• Locked thread