Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Takai didn't like it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154

I didn't take any issue with it but I completely get what he's annoyed about.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

No of course not but it was the complete opposite of "'make vague and let audience decide"

I do like that it riled up some folks

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Saw it last night. It might be my favorite Star Wars to date, I loved at as much as Episodes 4-6. Agree that AT-AT out of the smoke :dong:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Suicide Watch posted:

So the trailers all show Jyn, Cassian and the squad running across the beach, likely toward some rescue. Imagine if they made it back to the fleet and the Vader hall scene was with Rogue One and not random Rebel troopers

If that was the original ending I could see why they would say it's too dark and order the reshoot

I think the show needed this. The end just didn't feel... I dunno, it felt off. Also I felt like Forest Whitaker's character, Jyn, and the Captain guy just taking their respective blasts seemed wrong to me for their characters. Sure, it's showing characters coming to peace with their death after passing on what they thought they had to pass on, but it would have been brutually awesome to see these characters, fighting, fighting, and fighting thinking that they finally made it only to get Vader'd and to remember why Vader was so feared vs him just slashing a bunch of red shirts.

Also K-2 was loving awesome.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

TCD posted:

I think the show needed this. The end just didn't feel... I dunno, it felt off. Also I felt like Forest Whitaker's character, Jyn, and the Captain guy just taking their respective blasts seemed wrong to me for their characters. Sure, it's showing characters coming to peace with their death after passing on what they thought they had to pass on, but it would have been brutually awesome to see these characters, fighting, fighting, and fighting thinking that they finally made it only to get Vader'd and to remember why Vader was so feared vs him just slashing a bunch of red shirts.

Also K-2 was loving awesome.

I disagree, doing the Vader scene as is with the heroes would be too much of a surprise carpet-pulling-out-from-under-you death to fit in the tone of Star Wars, which means they would have had to slow that sequence down and add drama to it.... which I think would have ruined a big part of what made that scene awesome.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 21, 2016

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-original-ending/

Gareth Edwards talks about the ending, and how cool Disney/Lucasfilm were letting them go that direction.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Jarmak posted:

I disagree, doing the Vader scene as is with the heroes would be too much of a surprise carpet-pulling-out-from-under-you death to fit in the tone of Star Wars, which means they would have had to slow that sequence down and add drama to it.... which I think would have ruined a big part of what made that scene awesome.

Agreed. Aside from that one guy making GBS threads his pants at the door, the rest of the Rebels all start shooting at Vader even though they all know it's likely a moot point (and that it's merely a delaying action) just to ensure the plans get the extra few seconds they need to board Tantive IV. Having the heroes there would slow it down way too much to get that urgency across.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

Agreed. Aside from that one guy making GBS threads his pants at the door, the rest of the Rebels all start shooting at Vader even though they all know it's likely a moot point (and that it's merely a delaying action) just to ensure the plans get the extra few seconds they need to board Tantive IV. Having the heroes there would slow it down way too much to get that urgency across.

Unless Vader just murdered them all the same. I mean White hats sure, but imagine if he just flipped Donnie Yen in the air and then sabered him.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I don't know, but I think dying via grenade or in a hail of bullets is a very classical way to go in terms of old war movies, and no doubt these were one of the old influences of Star Wars

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suicide Watch posted:

I don't know, but I think dying via grenade or in a hail of bullets is a very classical way to go in terms of old war movies, and no doubt these were one of the old influences of Star Wars

Though oddly enough did people feel like the Rebel uniforms on Scarif had an odd mix of US Army in WWII and also Vietnam?

Oh and the Visual Guide is a really cool book for 24 bucks. I got it for my daughter it's far larger then the TFA one was. I mean like three or four times as large and filled with like every type of miniuta you could think of (like the different helmets worn by the Rebel pilots). Only downside is that, for obvious reasons there is nothing on Tarkin or Leia. That's about it though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Unless Vader just murdered them all the same. I mean White hats sure, but imagine if he just flipped Donnie Yen in the air and then sabered him.

I meant if they had been there, it still would have slown things down. I doubt you'd see the principal cast get wiped out within seconds without taking a few extra seconds to show "oh no! Chirrut's dead!"

With that scene, you know that Rebel is dead and things continue to move quickly. Otherwise if it was Chirrut or Jyn getting wasted you'd end up getting something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq-catM6hAg

Which would unnecessarily slow things down for that scene.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Though oddly enough did people feel like the Rebel uniforms on Scarif had an odd mix of US Army in WWII and also Vietnam?

As soon as I saw the helmets the rebels were wearing while Jyn was briefing them en route to Scarif the first thing I thought was, "when did this turn into a Vietnam movie?"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ManMythLegend posted:

As soon as I saw the helmets the rebels were wearing while Jyn was briefing them en route to Scarif the first thing I thought was, "when did this turn into a Vietnam movie?"

I thought the same thing, it was the flak jackets and pouches too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Flikken posted:

I thought the same thing, it was the flak jackets and pouches too.

That was what did it for me.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Godholio posted:

That was what did it for me.

:yeah: The old steel pot helmets were a nice touch. Star Wars has a long history of re-purposing old guns and gear as props, good to see it continue.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

They split a coupon with the new King Kong movie at the prop store.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

They split a coupon with the new King Kong movie at the prop store.

Oh god what if there's a crossover that'd be the coolest poo poo ever! You've done it, you've awakened my inner six year old

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Darth Vader vs Colossal Ape is a movie I would watch.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ManMythLegend posted:

That's been a known detail for a long time. The original trilogy was WWII, this movie is Viet Nam. The helmets and poo poo were a bit on the nose but still.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I liked that part in WWII when Hitler used lightning bolt and BJ Blazkowicz threw him in a pit.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Godholio posted:

I liked that part in WWII when Hitler used lightning bolt and BJ Blazkowicz threw him in a pit.

I liked it better when Goebbels got killed by a kid from Small town USA dropping a bomb in the exhaust port of his space station.

PS THANKS, GALEN ERSO!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I kinda wish JEJ had better pacing for his lines. Everything sounded a little forced.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

I kinda wish JEJ had better pacing for his lines. Everything sounded a little forced.

Everyone says this but I thought he sounded great. Especially for his age and not having done a whole lot of Vader in the last 30 years.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Saw R1 last night with the kids. I enjoyed it a lot. Tarkin and Leia were a little bit distracting, but not to the point that it ruined their scenes.

Vader was everything I hoped for. JEJ's voice is a little different, but I also think they didn't put the "robotic" filter that they added starting with ESB. Maybe that was intentional since he didn't have it in the original Star Wars, but I always liked the effect. I don't understand why people complained about his pun. This is the same guy who said "I find your lack of faith disturbing", "Apology accepted, Captain Needa", "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am", etc. He always had a few dark one-liners.

This may be the last live-action movie he's in, so I'm glad he went out in style.

The AT-ATs were awesome, but the space battles!!! When I was a kid, X-Wings, TIE fighters, and Star Destroyers were as important as Jedi and lightsabers to the appeal. I have no idea how many hours I spent playing X-Wing, TIE fighter, etc.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Takai didn't like it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154

I didn't take any issue with it but I completely get what he's annoyed about.

Nero's real plan was to make Sulu gay.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

:discourse:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Jesus Christ I feel retarded that I didn't yet the joke

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
This may be my autism showing itself but I don't see how "I find your lack of faith disturbing" is controversial or possibly silly in the way that "Apology accepted" and "Don't choke" are - it sounds melodramatic but not as egregiously punny. What am I missing?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Whoever that random flunky was had been dunking on Vader by saying that his belief in the power of the force hadn't let him recover the stolen plans or find the hidden rebel base, so Vader shows him how real the power of the force is.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

2016 trying to claim another. Carrie Fischer dying/dead

-edit she stable

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 24, 2016

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

2016 trying to claim another. Carrie Fischer dying/dead

neg she's alive and out of critical status

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Zeris posted:

This may be my autism showing itself but I don't see how "I find your lack of faith disturbing" is controversial or possibly silly in the way that "Apology accepted" and "Don't choke" are - it sounds melodramatic but not as egregiously punny. What am I missing?

Controversial? "I find your lack of faith disturbing" is one of cinema's greatest lines.

Where the gently caress was it ever called controversial or anything but awesome?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Genocide Tendency posted:

Controversial? "I find your lack of faith disturbing" is one of cinema's greatest lines.

Where the gently caress was it ever called controversial or anything but awesome?

People hold it up as a parallel and an example as to why "Don't choke on your aspirations" should be accepted -- I'm struggling to figure out why.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The Jedi faith/the force at that point in the series has been pretty much eliminated as all living practitioners sans a handful had been eliminated, every source of written knowledge had been scourged from the galaxy, speaking about it was heresy, and most people alive (humans anyway) who were around when the Jedi were still a thing are dead. Duder made an off the cuff comment about a thing that was from his perspective pure fantasy, and was subsequently proven wrong in a show of force (hurf).

I don't understand where the controversy comes from, but then again I would like to think of myself as largely autism free so maybe that's my problem.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's not controversial or a bad line. People are just saying that, in the other movies, Vader tends to drop pithy one liners while he chokes dudes out. Therefore, it isn't weird that he does it in Rogue One.

Thanks for making me an autist.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Maybe Im just missing something...

I just think its cool he is poo poo talking a motherfucker who he is choking out from the other side of the room.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Vasudus posted:

The Jedi faith/the force at that point in the series has been pretty much eliminated as all living practitioners sans a handful had been eliminated, every source of written knowledge had been scourged from the galaxy, speaking about it was heresy, and most people alive (humans anyway) who were around when the Jedi were still a thing are dead. Duder made an off the cuff comment about a thing that was from his perspective pure fantasy, and was subsequently proven wrong in a show of force (hurf).

I don't understand where the controversy comes from, but then again I would like to think of myself as largely autism free so maybe that's my problem.

Oh ok, so Vader was being entirely sarcastic and drat well knew the guy by all rights should have a total "lack of faith". Now that you explain it, it's obvious. Ok, I'm the autist. That should have been obvious.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I just think its cool he is poo poo talking a motherfucker who he is choking out from the other side of the room.

:same:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Talk poo poo, get choked. That remains one of my fave movie scenes, maybe I'm a pocket fascist or something.

I do like choking people..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
The "choke on your aspirations" line annoyed me a bit because Vader emphasized "choke" in that way you do when you want people to know you're making a pun.

• Locked thread