Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Back in 2014, I lost my job of six years as a graphic designer for an increasingly downhill promo products company. While I applied for more jobs I care to list, the first one to come back with an offer was a local Staples. I really didn't want to work in a retail job, but I needed the money and hoped it would help until I got a real job. The position was for a copy & print associate.

As luck would have it, the supervisor of the copy & print department at the store one town over decided to quit and they offered me the position. I accepted since I had only been there for a month and could use the full time job pay until a better job came across..

Well, later that year, that particular store was set up to close in January 2015. More luck: the supervisor of the next town over decided to quit unexpectedly and they wanted to know if I could fill in until someone else took over.

So, I ended up staying there for almost two more years. I kept applying for jobs and even had plenty of interviews, but nothing went anywhere besides a few freelance projects.

Finally got an awesome real job in October, so I've been out of there for two months now and haven't looked back.

Ask away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Did you ver photocopy body parts?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Did you ver photocopy body parts?

Not directly, but I had to print autopsy and medical photos.

Worst one was having to print photos of a rectal prolapse on an elderly patient for a legal file. :suicide:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Just post weird stories or w/e. What are we supposed to ask you? Whats it like selling a guy some pens?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
How is Staples still in business? Everytime I walk into one, there are more associates than there are customers...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Just post weird stories or w/e. What are we supposed to ask you? Whats it like selling a guy some pens?

The day that I found out I got my new job:

They wanted a driver's license to be emailed to someone. Obviously, we usually recommend that this is a very bad idea, but they asked anyways. They ended up giving us (me and the co-worker) the wrong email address. It was one letter off.

So, they ask for me to call Google to have the email deleted (lol) and I try to explain that it's not possible. This goes on for about 15 minutes, trying to convince them that we can't delete an email once it's sent.

The husband walks over to just outside the entrance and starts talking on his phone.

Ten minutes after that, the husband walks in with a police officer. They start talking. I can't hear exactly what's being said, but they're both trying to convince the officer that I need to be arrested for fraud because an email went to the wrong address.

The officer tries to explain carefully that we didn't do anything illegal and it was just a mistake, so he can't press charges or anything.

After the officer left, the customers wanted to talk to the president of Staples to confirm we'll pay for all the legal costs of having the driver's license replaced.

Anyways, the manager and district manager handled it from there and the couple left in a huff.

Within an hour, I got my offer letter in my email and didn't give a gently caress about the rest of the day.

Best part was that they were trying to get my co-worker fired because she's technically the one that sent the email and now she's the supervisor.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

How is Staples still in business? Everytime I walk into one, there are more associates than there are customers...

That's a great question. It's the only retail job I've had, but 95% of the customers were idiots. I'd get teenagers that didn't know how to send emails from their phone. Old people who didn't know how to use email. Idiots trying to place orders for business cards over the phone.

They cater to the lowest denominator, which ends up meaning most of my time was spent on stupid garbage that didn't bring in much in sales. Numbers were kept afloat for a while solely because of a handful of regulars that had us handle all their printing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Does Staples do the Gamestop-style upselling of worthless products when you go to buy stuff at the register? If so, when did they start that practice? Being solicited like that makes me never want to go into chain retail stores to buy anything.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

Does Staples do the Gamestop-style upselling of worthless products when you go to buy stuff at the register? If so, when did they start that practice? Being solicited like that makes me never want to go into chain retail stores to buy anything.

In copy & print, we were supposed to start with premium paper and color by default. That's been SOP for a while. At the store I worked at, I only had to deal with copy & print stuff (actual printing - not printer sales). The tech sales people had to ask if customers wanted protection plans, paper, extra stuff, though.

Usually the stuff that were recommended for upselling were good ideas instead of worthless crap. For example, if you're buying a printer, they'd ask if you needed paper or extra ink, as well as encourage getting the protection plan (which is surprisingly good).

By the way, their employee discount is 10%, but you also get additional 10% off if it's a Staples brand product. Ended up buying a $160 backpack right before I left for $20 between it being on clearance and my discounts.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

quote:

as well as encourage getting the protection plan (which is surprisingly good).

Haha, yeah right. Either you're losing money on it (you're not), or it's not surprisingly (or at all) "good".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i went to staples the other day and wanted to buy one of those types of moving boxes with inserts to protect plates and glassware. i found the inserts for a 12x12x12 box but no actual boxes in that size. i asked an associate for them and she said "we only have 14x14x14 boxes". i asked if they had inserts for those size of boxes and they said no, only for the 12x12x12 boxes (which don't exist)

so my question is: what the gently caress?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Earwicker posted:

i went to staples the other day and wanted to buy one of those types of moving boxes with inserts to protect plates and glassware. i found the inserts for a 12x12x12 box but no actual boxes in that size. i asked an associate for them and she said "we only have 14x14x14 boxes". i asked if they had inserts for those size of boxes and they said no, only for the 12x12x12 boxes (which don't exist)

so my question is: what the gently caress?

The main problem is that the stores with shipping centers end up losing a ton of boxes. Customers will pack up something and ship it without paying for it. The most an employee can do is ask "Oh, do you need to pay for the box as well?"

I think the store I worked at had one of the busier ship centers, so there were literally hundreds of missing boxes in the inventory.

(Also, we had a customer who would bring in 30-40 packages at a time to ship, meaning the copy & print center was basically closed unless a manager could step in for the next hour)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Egbert Souse posted:

They wanted a driver's license to be emailed to someone. Obviously, we usually recommend that this is a very bad idea, but they asked anyways. They ended up giving us (me and the co-worker) the wrong email address. It was one letter off.

So, they ask for me to call Google to have the email deleted (lol) and I try to explain that it's not possible. This goes on for about 15 minutes, trying to convince them that we can't delete an email once it's sent.

The husband walks over to just outside the entrance and starts talking on his phone.

Ten minutes after that, the husband walks in with a police officer. They start talking. I can't hear exactly what's being said, but they're both trying to convince the officer that I need to be arrested for fraud because an email went to the wrong address.

The officer tries to explain carefully that we didn't do anything illegal and it was just a mistake, so he can't press charges or anything.

After the officer left, the customers wanted to talk to the president of Staples to confirm we'll pay for all the legal costs of having the driver's license replaced.

Anyways, the manager and district manager handled it from there and the couple left in a huff.

Within an hour, I got my offer letter in my email and didn't give a gently caress about the rest of the day.

Best part was that they were trying to get my co-worker fired because she's technically the one that sent the email and now she's the supervisor.

This anecdote would have been WAY less confusing if you'd started with something like "One day I was at work and a customer came in with his wife, wanting us to scan his driver's license and email it to someone." At first, your opening line made me think this was the day they offered you the job at Staples, so "they" (the Staples HR people, I thought) requested a copy of your ID. Okay, so you emailed it to HR but there was a typo. Then suddenly you're talking about a husband (what? whose husband?) going outside the store (you're at the store? I thought you were at home emailing documents back and forth) and wanting to accuse someone of fraud and get you fired (but you don't actually work there yet?)

But here's a genuine question: how often did people mistake your store for an Office Depot (bringing in the wrong flyer, or something like that)? As near as I can tell, Staples and Office Depot are exactly alike. Same products and services, same floor layout, hell, even the same red-and-white color scheme in the branding.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

(Also, we had a customer who would bring in 30-40 packages at a time to ship, meaning the copy & print center was basically closed unless a manager could step in for the next hour)
Is there ever any consideration of the idea that perhaps the guy with 3 B&W copies should be able to skip the line in front of the guy making sixteen different 75-page spiral bound booklets one page at a time?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

This anecdote would have been WAY less confusing if you'd started with something like "One day I was at work and a customer came in with his wife, wanting us to scan his driver's license and email it to someone." At first, your opening line made me think this was the day they offered you the job at Staples, so "they" (the Staples HR people, I thought) requested a copy of your ID. Okay, so you emailed it to HR but there was a typo. Then suddenly you're talking about a husband (what? whose husband?) going outside the store (you're at the store? I thought you were at home emailing documents back and forth) and wanting to accuse someone of fraud and get you fired (but you don't actually work there yet?)

But here's a genuine question: how often did people mistake your store for an Office Depot (bringing in the wrong flyer, or something like that)? As near as I can tell, Staples and Office Depot are exactly alike. Same products and services, same floor layout, hell, even the same red-and-white color scheme in the branding.

It was a confusing ordeal and that was the least confusing way I could describe it. I apologize for the lack of clarity.

As for mistaken for Office Depot... all the time. People would bring coupons all the time. Lots would yell at us for not having projects on file (which we don't keep on file even for Staples people) because they were done at a different store entirely.

photomikey posted:

Is there ever any consideration of the idea that perhaps the guy with 3 B&W copies should be able to skip the line in front of the guy making sixteen different 75-page spiral bound booklets one page at a time?

The way they have it set up, if you only need a few pages, just use the self-service copiers or someone will assist you. They have Android tablets powering newer generation Xerox machines, so you'd have to be an idiot not to be able to use one of them.

As for a complicated order, I flat-out wouldn't let customers just wait for them. We had to spiral bind by hand. I'd right-out say an order like that needs a minimum of 24 hours. I had some asshat place an online order right after opening for 20 copies of a 5000 page legal document. We normally call customers immediately when a huge order comes in. Somehow, the website let him put noon as the pickup time. He bitched for five minutes about how the website said he could have it done in three hours and we should just rush it. Let alone the fact that his order would wipe out our entire paper supply.

(As an aside, I actually liked most of the employees I worked with, but the customer base was awful. Part of what made the job unbearable was spending half the day teaching people how to send emails from their phone rather than actually getting orders done)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This must be a Staples from an alternate universe, because the ones around here have so few people on staff that you practically have to yell "I'm going to start stealing stuff if no employees come to help me!" to find an employee who can actually go into the Holy of Holies and retrieve a portable harddrive or other such precious and irreplaceable item.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Egbert Souse posted:

That's a great question. It's the only retail job I've had, but 95% of the customers were idiots. I'd get teenagers that didn't know how to send emails from their phone. Old people who didn't know how to use email. Idiots trying to place orders for business cards over the phone.

They cater to the lowest denominator, which ends up meaning most of my time was spent on stupid garbage that didn't bring in much in sales. Numbers were kept afloat for a while solely because of a handful of regulars that had us handle all their printing.

Hold on, I've never emailed a driver's licenses before. Why did he want it replaced? Replace what exactly? Is the drivers license destroyed during the scanning process?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Hold on, I've never emailed a driver's licenses before. Why did he want it replaced? Replace what exactly? Is the drivers license destroyed during the scanning process?

I believe the customer thinks the driver's license needs to be "replaced" because it had been inadvertently emailed to a stranger, thus allowing their identity to be stolen by the evil hackers who must inevitably be at the other end of the wrong email address.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Earwicker posted:

I believe the customer thinks the driver's license needs to be "replaced" because it had been inadvertently emailed to a stranger, thus allowing their identity to be stolen by the evil hackers who must inevitably be at the other end of the wrong email address.

That's pretty much it.

I've had idiots wanting stuff like social security cards and birth certificates emailed to them in the same message. Even had someone wanting me to scan their credit card to email to someone.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I used to work at Staples (in Canada if that makes any difference) in the computer department 4 years ago.

Does Staples still have a tech department where people can get their computers fixed and are they still flogging Norton Ant-virus? On average, how many of the staff are hungover or stoned at any given time? Has anybody injured themselves prying furniture off the stacks?

Some facts from that time:
-Most laptops were loss leaders. We made money by upselling expensive set-up packages, crappy ink-jet printers and warranties. The set-up package would consist of the tech installing Norton anti-virus. That's it. Norton anti-virus is a gigantic piece of poo poo.
-About 1 in 10 HP laptops would arrive broken in some way. Extremely poor build quality.
-On a quiet night I spent probably half an hour trying to help an extremely redneck couple troubleshoot some problems on the new computer they had sitting at home. It turns out they had only bought a monitor. No wonder it didn't work! :v:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

I used to work at Staples (in Canada if that makes any difference) in the computer department 4 years ago.

Does Staples still have a tech department where people can get their computers fixed and are they still flogging Norton Ant-virus? On average, how many of the staff are hungover or stoned at any given time? Has anybody injured themselves prying furniture off the stacks?

Some facts from that time:
-Most laptops were loss leaders. We made money by upselling expensive set-up packages, crappy ink-jet printers and warranties. The set-up package would consist of the tech installing Norton anti-virus. That's it. Norton anti-virus is a gigantic piece of poo poo.
-About 1 in 10 HP laptops would arrive broken in some way. Extremely poor build quality.
-On a quiet night I spent probably half an hour trying to help an extremely redneck couple troubleshoot some problems on the new computer they had sitting at home. It turns out they had only bought a monitor. No wonder it didn't work! :v:

Yeah, the "Tech Services" area. The funny thing is that the pay is so low, the store I worked at rarely kept a tech lead for more than two months because they'd get a better paying job. What kind of tech help do you expect for $10 an hour?

I was going to have a broken hard drive just transferred to a new drive and they wanted $70... after my discount. Ended up buying a kit off Amazon for $8 and did it myself.

I think a few usually showed up stoned and I'm pretty sure one usually Bukowski'd after work.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I worked at Staples around 2008 when I was like 19 or something like that. Wasn't to bad of a gig really except my manager was a dick. Also had little old ladies confuse me for a woman when I had my back turned since I had a ponytail.

8 years later I still know the exact layout of the loving store and they are STILL playing that god awful Staples radio station. I swear I want to kill myself when I hear Josh Groban or Michael Buble because of that loving station.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vargatron posted:

I worked at Staples around 2008 when I was like 19 or something like that. Wasn't to bad of a gig really except my manager was a dick. Also had little old ladies confuse me for a woman when I had my back turned since I had a ponytail.

8 years later I still know the exact layout of the loving store and they are STILL playing that god awful Staples radio station. I swear I want to kill myself when I hear Josh Groban or Michael Buble because of that loving station.

I actually got along with my bosses and co-workers for the most part. However, they hired a really nice trans woman earlier this year and a lot of the co-workers were assholes. They kept saying all sorts of garbage behind her back and she ended up quitting after two weeks.

The radio station was usually horrible, but the real horror was when it switched to holiday music. 90% Neil Diamond Christmas songs plus other bottom of the barrel garbage.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did you guys get a bunch of free or very cheap items to send along with people who bought a large amount of items? Back when I used to order in stationery at my old job we'd get tons of free gifts, - drinking glasses, stress balls, chocolates (lots of chocolates), hot water bottles, bunches of random poo poo and I always wondered: if they retailers had enough to throw in to every order surely they had enough for the staff to take home a little extra as well?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

KrayG posted:

Did you guys get a bunch of free or very cheap items to send along with people who bought a large amount of items? Back when I used to order in stationery at my old job we'd get tons of free gifts, - drinking glasses, stress balls, chocolates (lots of chocolates), hot water bottles, bunches of random poo poo and I always wondered: if they retailers had enough to throw in to every order surely they had enough for the staff to take home a little extra as well?

No, but I got a tumbler for hitting budget and a few other trinkets as supervisor.

All with the Staples logo, but not bad. Although, I got a bluetooth speaker and the battery exploded.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm pretty sure one usually Bukowski'd after work.

What does this mean?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Well, what is it like selling a bunch of pens to some guy?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

What does this mean?

Booze and cigarettes

gleebster posted:

Well, what is it like selling a bunch of pens to some guy?

I was in copy & print, but I'd get people all the time waiting in line just to ask where the pens were. It's actually impossible to walk to the copy & print section at the store without seeing the aisle with pens. No idea why they didn't look for a regular Staples employee in a red shirt since copy associates wear blue shirts. And we were usually extremely busy.

Dumbest thing would be people coming in wanting help with a Macbook while the tech services counter was just across the front of the store. Or even dumber, the fact an Apple Store was in the mall across the street.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

What advice would you have for a designer who would like to avoid working at Staples upon getting out of school?

Also, what's the strangest thing you've had to print for someone? Any creepy fan art or awkward erotic photos?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Nessa posted:

What advice would you have for a designer who would like to avoid working at Staples upon getting out of school?

Also, what's the strangest thing you've had to print for someone? Any creepy fan art or awkward erotic photos?

I worked in a Staples for about a month in 2004. A month because I was hired to be a cashier, buuut they needed someone in print and copy, so I was sent there. Which meant I didn't get the wage a normal cashier did, I got about 75 cents an hour less. The general manager avoided me for three weeks while I kept trying to speak to her about the clear fuckup, and all said and done, I was making about $4 an hour after taxes to work mostly alone, untrained, in a busy print center. Which involved cashier work, and in fact, I did more than the usual cashiers did.

No one trained me poo poo about copyright. I do remember a lady being furious that her invites were a buck a page and I hadn't told her the price; she did, in my defense, throw me the original, told me she wanted 50 copies, and walked away. Though $50 for home-designed Disney invites is pretty cheap, as long as Disney didn't find out. I had a lot of older customers who didn't know poo poo about faxing or copying, so were always cool about me messing up.

I don't recall ever sending emails for people. Just a bad idea because you can't prove the other person got it, you know? At least with faxing and shipping there's usually tracking.

I never had creepy fan art, but I did once get a woman who needed her phone pics sized exactly "postcard size." They were all shots of her breasts, and a few "tasteful" ones of her chest with various food items covering the nipples, or her trying to bit the nipples. See, they had to be EXACT size because they were going to her boyfriend in prison, but she promised me he swore to her he'd never show them to anyone else.

A coworker did get a male customer who had a clear crush on him, and would only place an order with said coworker, JD. They were all photos of the customer in tight Speedos. To be fair, he did have a decent body, if it wasn't Trump Orange. Lots of almost nudes and some weird erotica with the guy and bananas. You get the idea.

The best was, keeping in mind this was over ten years ago, people who wanted "special" calendars with erotic photos for their spouses/sig others. But the customers always, without fail, begged and pleaded and insisted ONLY ONE PERSON could work on the printing and binding. Of course that meant everyone in the center would take a look at the photos during layout and print. The people who never freaked out about it were always the ones mentioned above: they had no mercy for our eyes and nothing but confidence.

I eventually quit Staples, and the manager put me on a blacklist for nonrehirable, because I had "left for a better job." I in fact hadn't left for any job, and the manager was fired later for stealing thousands of dollars. Oddly enough that didn't remove anyone from the blacklist, even those who whistleblew on her.

Most of the Staples around here have closed down. There's one or two Officemaxes, and Fedex Offices, but the fact both of them do the poo poo at the register "Hey we have paper on sale this month, want some?" or try to upsell some $20 USB stick doesn't spell good for them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nessa posted:

Staples is perfectly fine as a part-time job if you just need some steady income and you're living with family members/friends. However, full time at a busier store is pure hell.

If you're a designer, try to freelance if you can. The problem I had was that 90% of the stuff I was printing was from pure garbage. Facebook photos blown up to poster size, people wanting a faded 50s photograph miraculously fixed in one hour, or people wanting hundreds of photos printed immediately from actual prints. I hated working on that stuff because I knew the work I was doing was garbage because I didn't have the time or the customer was too dumb to realize what good product looked like.

As for strange things...

Had a creepy guy call asking about our policy on printing "adult images" I said that as long as it's nothing illegal, it's up to our discretion. He insisted that it was a nasteful nude painting of "cute men" and wanted it poster size. Ended up getting the scan of the drawing and it was a lot of squiggles, with the only discernible feature being a row of dicks.

Someone wanted a collage of a hundred pictures as a gift. Had the design service create it (for $60) and they approved it. It was actually quite nice and they had us mount and laminate it as well. Customer arrives and freaks out because one of the pictures was her son naked in a bathtub. She insists on it being re-done without the picture because it might embarrass the kid. :rolleyes:

Had a stripper have us print invitations to her birthday party, which featured her almost totally naked except for words strategically covering parts of her body.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

I worked in a Staples for about a month in 2004. A month because I was hired to be a cashier, buuut they needed someone in print and copy, so I was sent there. Which meant I didn't get the wage a normal cashier did, I got about 75 cents an hour less.
You make less at the copy center than as a register jockey? I always assumed you needed a modicum of skill to make copies, so it'd pay a little more.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

photomikey posted:

You make less at the copy center than as a register jockey? I always assumed you needed a modicum of skill to make copies, so it'd pay a little more.

Base pay ca. 2008 was $6.65 an hour where I lived.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Right, I get that it's low-wage, I just assumed that the copy center folks made more than the register folks, because there is some knowledge required. I'm surprised to know it's the other way around.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
A point I tried to make to the boss, but she waved it off.

Also the cashiers got bonus points for signing people up for Staples Rewards, but that was only tied to the main registers, not the one in the copy center.

Oddly enough, it wasn't even that that broke me in the end. It was one night of sweeping. As in, after I closed the copy center, the manager of the tech side gave me a push broom and told me to sweep the entire store. I said I was done for the night and my area was clean, and he got pissed. So I took the broom and swept every aisle, assuming the other closers were doing other things. Nope. We were the last two in the store; he and the copy center manager had had a fight earlier that day, so the head manager said the former had to sweep the entire store at close. Copy center manager left about two hours before close, so because I was his minion, and the tech side manager was a sore loser, I got the task.

The sweeping took almost an entire hour, and when we got outside to see the empty parking lot, I almost threw down my uniform and quit. Instead I waited another week to see if my pay would get fixed, and when it didn't, put in my two weeks, and got a whole 16 hours for my first week, and one 4 hour shift I skipped on my last.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Copy center associates make the same as regular store associates usually, but it seems to depend on the store. Supervisors get a little more (started at $10/hour as opposed to $8.30/hour as associate).

The pay is probably why stores tend to have a lot of trouble filling positions. One of the neighboring stores was without a general manager for over a year, though it was the store the regional office was based out of. Just as an example, I started in 2014 with $10.00/hour and was at $12.60/hour when I left in October. The first raise was in early 2015 where it went from $10.00 to $10.50.

Another problem is that you're doing all this extra work for nothing. During the back to school period, I was having to restock shelves after spending 8 hours with only a 30 min lunch break for another hour or two. Or also having to operate the shipping center or having to operate registers at the front because an employee decided to disappear for 30 minutes. Before I was transferred to my last store, the previous store was so understaffed that I'd often go for 8 hours without even a lunch break. Ended up losing 40 pounds of weight by the end of 2014.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Staples is perfectly fine as a part-time job if you just need some steady income and you're living with family members/friends. However, full time at a busier store is pure hell.

If you're a designer, try to freelance if you can.

I'm only in school to help me get away from part time retail jobs. :)

I'd love to be able to freelance, but I'm hoping for something more stable.

As an artist, I've gotten a lot of prints done at Staples until I got my own borderless printer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nessa posted:

I'm only in school to help me get away from part time retail jobs. :)

I'd love to be able to freelance, but I'm hoping for something more stable.

As an artist, I've gotten a lot of prints done at Staples until I got my own borderless printer.

Yeah, I had a lot of freelance video editing work in 2015, but it eventually fizzled out. I only put up with Staples because I was married and had rent to pay.

Now I have a vastly better job, I'm separated, and have way more time to work on my own stuff.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

photomikey posted:

Right, I get that it's low-wage, I just assumed that the copy center folks made more than the register folks, because there is some knowledge required. I'm surprised to know it's the other way around.
hah, if only pal.

Egbert Souse posted:

Copy center associates make the same as regular store associates usually, but it seems to depend on the store. Supervisors get a little more (started at $10/hour as opposed to $8.30/hour as associate).

The pay is probably why stores tend to have a lot of trouble filling positions. One of the neighboring stores was without a general manager for over a year, though it was the store the regional office was based out of. Just as an example, I started in 2014 with $10.00/hour and was at $12.60/hour when I left in October. The first raise was in early 2015 where it went from $10.00 to $10.50.

Another problem is that you're doing all this extra work for nothing. During the back to school period, I was having to restock shelves after spending 8 hours with only a 30 min lunch break for another hour or two. Or also having to operate the shipping center or having to operate registers at the front because an employee decided to disappear for 30 minutes. Before I was transferred to my last store, the previous store was so understaffed that I'd often go for 8 hours without even a lunch break. Ended up losing 40 pounds of weight by the end of 2014.

Office Depot 2012-2014 guy here. We're practically the same so :shobon:

Other random thoughts:

-Copy Center seemed like hell on earth because you had so much to learn and absolutely zero perks of working behind there. I don't think raises existed for part time associates like myself, unless you counted the 16 cent yearly raise actually viable. I think my biggest regret with Office Depot was working as hard as I did. Had I acted dumb enough to be register-only, I would have had a much more relaxing job with the *exact same* pay.

-Pushing PPPs (warranties) felt scummy. Although, sometimes selling enough could translate to a higher check, but it all depended on the store sales. By the time I quit, they reduced the paycheck bonuses to the point where it just felt like busy work. Apparently, the PPP service was actually pretty good. But I never bought big ticket items at OD so I never experienced it personally.

-Pushing the store card was annoying but actually had good kickbacks for regular shoppers. And free, so, whatever.

-We absorbed OfficeMax and then adopted their policies, which felt weird.

-People kept thinking that the tech department were actual certified experts, which is as far as possible from the truth. Tech department folks were the average Games subforum goon, or just someone smart enough to google a solution once the customer left the computer at the store.

-I've worked a few stores, and I realized store morale is directly related to corporate proximity. First store was a hellhole in every way. What a raw deal that was. My last (and favorite) store was far from the watchful eye of corporate, and everyone from store manager to associate was way cooler. I go back and visit that store from time to time because they felt like family there.

-Sometimes we were forced to skip breaks in a customer rush, but were given a later break plus "bonus apology time", so that was chill.

-Some dude photocopied his well sized member on our demo printers, and left the copy on the glass. I found it one day. That was a funny night

-I made some lady punch herself and pull out her hair. Somehow nobody saw this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Egbert Souse posted:

As for a complicated order, I flat-out wouldn't let customers just wait for them. We had to spiral bind by hand. I'd right-out say an order like that needs a minimum of 24 hours. I had some asshat place an online order right after opening for 20 copies of a 5000 page legal document. We normally call customers immediately when a huge order comes in. Somehow, the website let him put noon as the pickup time. He bitched for five minutes about how the website said he could have it done in three hours and we should just rush it. Let alone the fact that his order would wipe out our entire paper supply.

Holy hell how much would that have run the guy? That's 100,000 pages. Buy it in bulk and that's at least $1,000 just for the paper at the lowest quality. Actually getting good paper would ratchet that up like mad. Did he eventually get that printed? More importantly what the hell could be 5,000 pages long and need 20 copies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Holy hell how much would that have run the guy? That's 100,000 pages. Buy it in bulk and that's at least $1,000 just for the paper at the lowest quality. Actually getting good paper would ratchet that up like mad. Did he eventually get that printed? More importantly what the hell could be 5,000 pages long and need 20 copies?

Legal documents. I explained to him that even if we had all four copiers running (the two full serve and two self-serve), it would take over 24 hours to finish it. That's if we were able to let them run all night, which isn't possible.

It was sent to the hub outside Atlanta where they have industrial copiers that can do stuff like 5000 pages per hour and had it ready the next afternoon.

On the other end, though, most of my regulars with complicated orders (color, binding, multiple copies) were great about dropping off or sending everything with more than enough time. Had one guy place an order for 300 spiral bound books with 250 pages each. He just asked if it could be finished within a month. Had the hub produce it and had it ready the following week. :cool:

• Locked thread