Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
She's 48 yrs old
She likes video games... WiiU, Zelda games, Rayman, etc.
She likes the Pittsburgh Steelers but pretty much has every Steelers thing made.
She likes old British movies, like Pride and the Prejudice and the thousands of PBS type movies like it...
She cooks alot but has everything.
She refuses to go clothes shopping with me... I refuse to buy her clothes she will hate and I will then have to return...

She probably needs a new boyfriend...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tektronic
Jul 9, 2001
Take her to a nice restaurant, then go home (clean that poo poo first) and give her a massage. A real massage, go buy some oil and candles and poo poo. Then when y'all do it make it all about her. Maybe throw in a gift certificate for a spa or something, but give her that poo poo at dinner in a nice card, either a funny one from online (not some hallmark cornball bullshit) or something really sweet.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tektronic posted:

Take her to a nice restaurant, then go home (clean that poo poo first) and give her a massage. A real massage, go buy some oil and candles and poo poo. Then when y'all do it make it all about her. Maybe throw in a gift certificate for a spa or something, but give her that poo poo at dinner in a nice card, either a funny one from online (not some hallmark cornball bullshit) or something really sweet.

that's a loving date mother fucker not a christmas present

OP get her tickets to a Steelers game and book a weekend around it

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Budget?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

does she have this sweatshirt already?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Seconding the tickets for a steelers game and making it a weekend thing. Also, if she wants new clothes but you don't want to buy them because you're bad a clothes shopping (what's up bad a clothes shopping buddy) you could get her a giftcard or two to her favorite stores*

*do not make giftcard(s) your only gift like an asshat.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

tektronic posted:

not her

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Aesop Poprock posted:

that's a loving date mother fucker not a christmas present

OP get her tickets to a Steelers game and book a weekend around it

done that before... and will probably do it again... but not for xmas

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

doesn't matter really... $500...

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Earwicker posted:

does she have this sweatshirt already?

no... I dont think... I'm a Bengals fan so buying her that stuff makes me sick... I do it... but I try to let everyone else do that...

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

doesn't matter really... $500...

Jewelry.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Kind of lovely since it means nothing at this very moment, but maybe put money down on a pre-order for a Nintendo Switch if you'd think she'd like that.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Kind of lovely since it means nothing at this very moment, but maybe put money down on a pre-order for a Nintendo Switch if you'd think she'd like that.

My daughter said pre-order the new Zelda that comes out in March I guess... but yea I deemed that too lovely

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

she would probably like jewelry... but if she doesn't tell me exactly what to get I don't even want to try... which is horrible of me I know.... I also hate giving jewelry because I hate jewelry... I know its not about me.... etc...

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Experiences can be more valueable than anything. If she'd love a Steeler's weekend holiday, that'll likely be your best bet.

I don't know if she's interested and dates/locations are limited but you could look into this; http://zelda-symphony.com/pages/schedule

If there's things you know she'd like to do (Dancing, plays, specific events, concerts) that could be cool. Ballroom dancing classes are usually super fun, I recommend Venetian waltz over box though.

I hate Jewelry so I feel you, but if she likes books you could look into getting her signed copies of things by her favorite authors or rare zelda poo poo she hasn't seen before.

Other than that, you can try looking up individual events through sites like Goldstar and Groupon. Or just listen to what she talks about wanting/needing and try to glean something you can get her that'll actually be specifically tailored to her and prove you're actually listening to her.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is your wife a yinzer?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Earwicker posted:

is your wife a yinzer?

nope... when she was growing up the Steelers were winning a bunch of superbowls... I tell her how lame that is all the time...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nope... when she was growing up the Steelers were winning a bunch of superbowls... I tell her how lame that is all the time...

buy her weekend trip to the burgh to show her what its all about. dinner at primanti bros etc.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

I found out after moving in with my long term boyfriend that knowing someone and knowing what to get them for Christmas are two completely different things, not to mention that people who need practical things buy what they need when they need it. He has the same problem with me though so I wouldn't call it far fetched to assume she's having similar difficulties with you so I wouldn't feel so bad about having trouble thinking of a gift.

The main problem with shopping for significant others is that you just can't distill your feelings for someone down into one or two practical gifts. If you can land on something you know they'll enjoy but haven't thought to buy themselves already then you luck out, but personally I think it's easier to go with things that are more representative of a person's interests rather than a practical addition.

If she likes video games buy a co-op game and offer to play with her. If she likes the Steelers see if you can make her something one-of-a-kind that's team related, like etching a logo into a set of glasses, or making a fleece throw with team branded fabric. If she likes old tv and movies, ask her friends and family something she likes but might not have seen in a while (or get them to drop hints so she'll tell them) and then grab the series from Amazon and offer to watch it with her. If she likes to cook...well, that's trickier since chefs are pretty particular about their equipment. You could still do something like personalized oven mitts or an apron though.

Basically, anything that shows you not only put thought but effort into your gift.

If you're set on practical, I'd see if she has a Nintendo 3DS. If not get her a "New Nintendo 3DS" (yes this makes a difference, thanks Nintendo for consistent and non-confusing product branding) and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Or if she's a cook who likes to prepare meals and is still using rusty rear end Ginsu knives from the stone age get her a really nice set of quality chef's knives. It's spendy but she'd never have to buy another set. For suggestions on what makes a good knife and what brands to look at it's worth taking a field trip.

For next year make a pact to not buy yourselves things 1-2 months before December and then start listening every time she says "I wish I had...." Makes things a whole lot easier.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Jacobus Spades posted:

I found out after moving in with my long term boyfriend that knowing someone and knowing what to get them for Christmas are two completely different things, not to mention that people who need practical things buy what they need when they need it. He has the same problem with me though so I wouldn't call it far fetched to assume she's having similar difficulties with you so I wouldn't feel so bad about having trouble thinking of a gift.

The main problem with shopping for significant others is that you just can't distill your feelings for someone down into one or two practical gifts. If you can land on something you know they'll enjoy but haven't thought to buy themselves already then you luck out, but personally I think it's easier to go with things that are more representative of a person's interests rather than a practical addition.

If she likes video games buy a co-op game and offer to play with her. If she likes the Steelers see if you can make her something one-of-a-kind that's team related, like etching a logo into a set of glasses, or making a fleece throw with team branded fabric. If she likes old tv and movies, ask her friends and family something she likes but might not have seen in a while (or get them to drop hints so she'll tell them) and then grab the series from Amazon and offer to watch it with her. If she likes to cook...well, that's trickier since chefs are pretty particular about their equipment. You could still do something like personalized oven mitts or an apron though.

Basically, anything that shows you not only put thought but effort into your gift.

If you're set on practical, I'd see if she has a Nintendo 3DS. If not get her a "New Nintendo 3DS" (yes this makes a difference, thanks Nintendo for consistent and non-confusing product branding) and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Or if she's a cook who likes to prepare meals and is still using rusty rear end Ginsu knives from the stone age get her a really nice set of quality chef's knives. It's spendy but she'd never have to buy another set. For suggestions on what makes a good knife and what brands to look at it's worth taking a field trip.

For next year make a pact to not buy yourselves things 1-2 months before December and then start listening every time she says "I wish I had...." Makes things a whole lot easier.

Thanks ... this is all really good... but... my mom has already made the steelers blanket thing for her years ago... this year my mom already gave her a game-stop gift card... (we had my families x-mas this past weekend)... so today she got a bowser action figure and reserved Mario Party 10 or something... I dont know she said she had to do it cause it was a great deal... she has every cooking thing known to man... from woks to an ice cream maker... it seems I have been a very good and generous gift giver in the past and now I'm simply running out of stuff to get her...

I'm going to look into the 3DS and Zelda game... that might work...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just found out google maps basically tracks your movements, so I took 9 memorable days from our relationship and printed out the maps and put them into a picture frame thing.

I have no idea if this is of any interest for your girlfriend, I really just wanted to brag about my great gift idea.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Do you guys text a lot, or use some other variety of mobile communication? I bet she would like it if you stopped using so many ellipses when you type.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

bewbies posted:

I just found out google maps basically tracks your movements, so I took 9 memorable days from our relationship and printed out the maps and put them into a picture frame thing.

I have no idea if this is of any interest for your girlfriend, I really just wanted to brag about my great gift idea.

that's good

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Do you guys text a lot, or use some other variety of mobile communication? I bet she would like it if you stopped using so many ellipses when you type.

This is the gift that will keep on giving, OP.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

I'm guessing this is really funny... but I dont get it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

I'm guessing this is really funny... but I dont get it.

Is your period key jammed? Maybe you could ask your gf for a new one for xmas.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Scudworth posted:

Is your period key jammed? Maybe you could ask your gf for a new one for xmas.

no... it's just how I like to type...

I guess ellipses is a phone thing? I'm on a good old fashioned desktop keyboard...

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

She's 48 yrs old
She likes video games... WiiU, Zelda games, Rayman, etc.
She likes the Pittsburgh Steelers but pretty much has every Steelers thing made.
She likes old British movies, like Pride and the Prejudice and the thousands of PBS type movies like it...
She cooks alot but has everything.
She refuses to go clothes shopping with me... I refuse to buy her clothes she will hate and I will then have to return...

She probably needs a new boyfriend...

48, likes video games, football, cooking, and doesn't drag you clothes shopping?

Get her a ring.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

no... it's just how I like to type...

I guess ellipses is a phone thing? I'm on a good old fashioned desktop keyboard...

ellipses is the name for when you put three periods in a row. it has a specific meaning but you seem to be using it as a substitute for a comma or regular period. it's ok though, do you're thing.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Buying gift certificates to a nice spa are always good. I usually get my lady enough to get a hot stone massage and get her hair done. You can never go wrong with a simple pearl necklace either. Assuming she has her own car a remote starter, backup camera kit, or a modern Bluetooth head unit could be good. If the seats are poo poo then get her some seat covers. If she's always cold blankets are good. There are some really nice electric ones out there. An entirely new set of sheets, pillows, and comforter? She may have all the video game poo poo in the world but does she have decent surround sound?

At least your... Is a triple ... And not a double.. Or God forbid a............

EdwardSwifferhands fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 14, 2016

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Earwicker posted:

ellipses is the name for when you put three periods in a row. it has a specific meaning but you seem to be using it as a substitute for a comma or regular period. it's ok though, do you're thing.

I use them as a comma... it kind of makes incomplete sentences ok....

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

48, likes video games, football, cooking, and doesn't drag you clothes shopping?

Get her a ring.

I know... but....

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Snorkzilla posted:

Buying gift certificates to a nice spa are always good. I usually get my lady enough to get a hot stone massage and get her hair done. You can never go wrong with a simple pearl necklace either. Assuming she has her own car a remote starter, backup camera kit, or a modern Bluetooth head unit could be good. If the seats are poo poo then get her some seat covers. If she's always cold blankets are good. There are some really nice electric ones out there. An entirely new set of sheets, pillows, and comforter? She may have all the video game poo poo in the world but does she have decent surround sound?

At least your... Is a triple ... And not a double.. Or God forbid a............

Cant put remote starter on manual jeep wrangler

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stop using ellipses constantly. You might think your girlfriend is okay with your heavy use of ellipses, but once you stop she'll suddenly confront you about how wonderful things have been lately.

vvv - See, this post is what your girlfriend is secretly thinking.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 16, 2016

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
stop putting three fuckin periods after every other word like you're some lovely deviant art novel come to life. the problem probably is you, and she should probably leave you for someone who's most egregious punctuation sin is neglecting the oxford comma

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah im sure a steelers fan cares a lot about punctuation and has words like "egregious" in their mind, totally

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Earwicker posted:

yeah im sure a steelers fan cares a lot about punctuation and has words like "egregious" in their mind, totally

Hahaha yeah handegg fans are so dumb

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love city sport team

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hahaha yeah handegg fans are so dumb

:confused: I wasn't making a comment about football in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Is the three dot thing a real thing that pisses people off or just a goon thing? or are you loving with me? if a real thing why?

I seriously do this everywhere all the time

• Locked thread