Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I used to have a co-worker who used ... every time a normal person would use . He was an artist though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Is the three dot thing a real thing that pisses people off or just a goon thing? or are you loving with me? if a real thing why?

I seriously do this everywhere all the time

It is, and it's because a) it looks like rear end and b) the ellipsis in that context denotes a drawn out pause so what people "hear" when reading it is someone who constantly does these lengthy pauses for no reason which is grating as gently caress

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Guys....He's almost 50....have you people ever read forums with older people in it,,,,,,,sometimes they use commas instead too,,,,,,,

Regards,

Kritzkrieg Kop

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Guys....He's almost 50....have you people ever read forums with older people in it,,,,,,,sometimes they use commas instead too,,,,,,,

Regards,

Kritzkrieg Kop

I don't understand what it is about technology that makes old people go from "if you write your return address on the wrong part of the letter your friend will know you are a savage" to "I invented a new form of punctuation based on the dollar sign and the poop emoji" but it's a thing

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
When I was you kids age the “period”, as you call it, had just come into fashion. (We called them “dots”. Named after the famous Hollywood starlet Dorothy Hackett McGuire, who when signing her autograph would finish it with a small “point” of a mark. Periods were a ladies bleeding time and we did not discuss such things as it brought about unwanted questions from the children.) Also at the time lead pencils were literally a dime a dozen. That’s 12 lead pencils for $0.10. That’s a lot of possibly dots for a kid to make. I would make dots willy-nilly all the live long day. It was a simpler time.

Much later in graduate school I was introduced to the “ellipse” in the new mathematics field called “geometry”. These “ellipses” where nothing like the three dots in a row you all seem to call ellipses.

But hey whatcha gonna do…?

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
what

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Is this the best forum?

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Don't get her jewellery. Get her a sybian.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

I know what you should get your girlfriend for christmas

seriously who loving cares how he types

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What I want to say is

GIVE HER THE BONE

and then follow it up with some good advice, OP. But I don't loving know what to get your woman, I barely know what to get my woman. It's like grasping at hairs in the dark. Figure your own poo poo out...

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Is the three dot thing a real thing that pisses people off or just a goon thing? or are you loving with me? if a real thing why?

I seriously do this everywhere all the time

Ellipses are only annoying when used inappropriately and constantly.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I always do multiple gifts to cover my rear end. I would ask her one thing she wants. Get that so even if everything else sucks, she at least got one thing she wanted. The other gifts I try to mix it up like, things she might like, gags, thoughtful gifts from the heart.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Go down on her for once in your sad life

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
What year is the wrangler? There are a ton of things that you can buy to add to a jeep, even with dumb sports stuff on it. If it's a 96-2006 (TJ) get her this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6JR9LQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

very romantic.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
- Get her a bottle of perfume that you like. Remember she's wearing it for you. Start at $90 and check out Angel by Thierry Mugler.

- Boots. Girls are into boots this year. Go to the mall & look at what the girls are wearing. Go to a DSW in the mall & get as close as you can. Remember to ask for the gift receipt.

- Calvin Klein Oversized Cashmere Scarf. Macys has these starting at $65. Whatever her winter coat is get a contrasting color. Black coat-->Red/Gray/Tan Scarf. She'll love it & you look like you actually give a poo poo.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I feel like OP was playing a long con on us.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm not sure if this was covered already and I might be weird but have you, uh, asked her directly what she'd like for Christmas? I feel like that just works out better usually than trying to guess if you don't just want to go the gift card route or something.

McPhock
Dec 25, 2004
hat-wearing champion of rhode island

Namarrgon posted:

Ellipses are only annoying when used inappropriately and constantly.

Jumping into a dead thread just to mention that i have a friend, early 30s, that does this in text all the time. It makes him sound constantly despondent, or like everything is super dramatic with a flair for suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Hey OP what did you give your girlfriend for Christmas?

• Locked thread