Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer

Lizwiz got a promotion now that he's loving L E G E N D A R Y. The training schedule only keeps 80% of the dwarves in the squad training at any given time, so they still run off and do stuff and handle their needs and all. Here he bagged a Rhino, and has been hauling it back to the butcher shop for like 3 weeks. Hope it is still intact. We have plenty of food, but no drinks, still, though the well is operational. We also have a couple legendary miners, and I think all that engraving may have made us having a legendary engraver. We got more migrants.

Managing labor is hard without Dwarf Therapist.

Plebian Parasite has become our broker as well as our manager. He also has the lever for the bridges by his desk.

Yet to hit any major adversity, and our military is very under-equipped. Wooden bolts are great for practice but it takes WAY TOO MANY of them to really do damage. I'm hoping on the next trade caravan I can trade some of the crafts I've had our peeps doing for some good poo poo. I've set the craftsdwarf workshop so only Grand Master or higher skills can use it at the moment, so if the shop isn't working when you get to the save remember that or build another one.

I've got everyone sorted with a forum name.

Eventually just picking names off the thread starters and last replies and people online and stuff, so don't feel too bad if you got a Baby or whatever. I'm waiting for a noblewoman to arrive for FluffieDuckie, so we can toss her into the catacombs build her a room of solid gold and such.

Edit:

Caravan arrived with news!

Looks like the Wondrous Beaches have been busy. Let'see what we can trade.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

joke_explainer posted:

Managing labor is hard without Dwarf Therapist.

oh god. does DT not support the version we're using? i don't even know if i remember how to manage labor without it lol

joke_explainer

Thingyman posted:

oh god. does DT not support the version we're using? i don't even know if i remember how to manage labor without it lol

No, it's been broken since DF went 64-bit. They're close to fixing it. Something fundamentally broke with it when it went 64-bit. Don't remember the whole story.

What they want next year for Thingyman

Got 146 booze and some stuff for BigBlackTurnout to complete his masterpiece! He's been hanging out in the forge and is now dying of thirst, so he seems happy to begin his construction. It would be amazing if he ends up armorsmith, but most likely result is metalcrafter.

We still got plenty of food so no big worry at the moment, but had to trade a few prepared food barrels. For whatever reason prepared food is really great. I bought some cheese from the guy; if our best chef cooks meals out of the cheese, we could then sell it back and completely empty him out.

A golden crown! Totally making Fluffie wear that when we finally get a duchess or w/e.

Let's take a closer look.

Hm. Spikes of hard leather. That's loving intimidating.

joke_explainer

For the uninitiated: Every once and a while, a dwarf gets some idea in their head of a great thing to make, whether it's a steel sword or a really fancy mug. Once they do, they rush off to find a workshop, then seize it, kicking anyone working in it out. They then will grab every item they need for it. If they can't find it, they just sit there until they die or go crazy. So sometimes this runs into some problems.

There's a few different types of moods. Some don't tell you almost anything about what the person wants... you just have to figure it out based on what they've already collected. But Fey moods are the best, as they just shout 'I must have tanned hides!! I must have metal bars!!' when you look at the workshop screen.

Once they complete a masterwork, they automatically become legendary in the skill used to craft it.

New bedrooms are looking really nice. Love the vein of cinnabar going through it. Those'll look nice smoothed out.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 20, 2016

joke_explainer

Another really useful thing: Workshops are little 3x3 (mostly) things you can hit 'q' on with your cursor and it'll bring up the menu to queue up tasks. One way to get a bunch of something is to just hit R, so it 'repeats' the task you select.

This is sometimes not good. Your little barrel maniac will make barrels until you run out of wood.

With a manager assigned, you can to to the job menu (j) and hit (m), and then make tasks and set a quantity to produce. Right now I'm queueing up a bunch of barrels that way, as that's the only reason we have no booze production it turns out.

vanisher

Wow awesome progress and LizWiz bagged a Rino finally!!

I made a thing but it turned out meh and took way too long.

It's MrWillsauce suplexing a Rino

http://i.imgur.com/gQUz8wN.gifv

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

joke_explainer

Month 10. joke_explainer (the dwarf) has cancelled work; Interrupted by Hungry Head.

Checking the unit list right away, we also have a large amount of crundles here to wreck our poo poo. They seem to have crawled their way out of the depths.

Seems like he's already a bit jacked up. Military should make short work of him.

And it's dead.

There's like 30 crundles down in the caves though, so going wall that off for now.

No injuries! Wonder if there's a goblin invasion in the cards before the year is done.

vanisher

That's a first for me with either of those creatures, good call on walling it off

joke_explainer

Let's see what he wants.

Well, that happened.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 20, 2016

joke_explainer

Almost done with my year. I just may get the bedrooms done and the first bits of the big dining room done. No progress on defense, but the hospital is operational and has soap! Hooray.

Year 3 should get some traps up and work on getting better equipment for the military.

vanisher

Pretty sure drilldo squirt child isn't getting appreciated enough

vanisher

vanisher

joke_explainer posted:

Almost done with my year. I just may get the bedrooms done and the first bits of the big dining room done. No progress on defense, but the hospital is operational and has soap! Hooray.

Year 3 should get some traps up and work on getting better equipment for the military.

Traps are how I survived my only encounter with a goblin invasion

FreshCutFries

joke_explainer posted:

wooden training swords + big entrance signs saying "GOBLIN BUFFET." got it.

joke_explainer

Nasty bugger from the caves. Good thing I walled them off. That may have killed us all, with webbing and a mud body so it likely has no vital organs. That's a problem for much later. It wandered off down the 'downward passage', which I never looked into. So be careful heading down into the caverns...

Our first masterwork engraving! mrbradleymartin didn't choose the Heavy Life, it chose him. The front of the dining hall, all I have time for. About 15 days left in the year.

vanisher

Nothing like a webby mud blob in some scary unexplored caves

The Bold Breakfast is engraved near the dining hall, excellent!

joke_explainer

And that's my year! We now have a legendary dining room, some pretty fancy bedrooms which Plebian Parasite is working on engraving, and tons and tons of mussels. Seriously. Thousands of mussels. Food will not be an issue. Booze continues to be a challenge, mostly because the barrels are being sniped by mussels. May want to turn fisherdwarves off first thing.

Anyway, will PM Thingyman the dropbox.

vanisher

Awesome job with year 2! :peanut:

FreshCutFries

got the file. probably won't be able to play until late tomorrow night though.

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
Can I join the party even if I have no idea how to play?

MrWillsauce

The Grotto of Strangeness is a pretty good name. Maybe we should use it for our jail

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
we should set up some cage traps for taming stuff and/or capturing goblins for training purposes

goblins are coincidentally one of the riches sources of iron in the game

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
maybe some kind of drowning chamber with close access to the smelters, a goblinite refinery if you will

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

vanisher

super mario batali posted:

Can I join the party even if I have no idea how to play?

of course!

You are currently a Dwarven Baby already so keep an eye on the screens and you might find yourself!

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I would like to be a dwarf. But I do not want to run the compound. I've never played and don't want to learn how to play. But if I get to hear about how my namesake went crazy and built a sexy goblet out of rhino kneecaps and spider spleen gemstones, I'll be pretty pleased.

FreshCutFries

I Was The Fury posted:

I would like to be a dwarf. But I do not want to run the compound. I've never played and don't want to learn how to play. But if I get to hear about how my namesake went crazy and built a sexy goblet out of rhino kneecaps and spider spleen gemstones, I'll be pretty pleased.

you're a blacksmith:

if anyone else wants to get to know their dwarf namesake let me know

joke_explainer

I see she's enjoying a fine bedroom and is blissful after dining in a legendary dining room. Glad to see they're putting those spaces to work!

Fury brought somebody to rest in bed? Who was injured?

FreshCutFries

i haven't unpaused the game yet from your save. nobody has the rest job, so maybe it's an old thought?

joke_explainer

Thingyman posted:

i haven't unpaused the game yet from your save. nobody has the rest job, so maybe it's an old thought?

Shoot, I must have missed somebody getting injured and treated for it. Wonder who it was. I hope our completely fraudulent doctor myDad did a good job.

vanisher

Am I leading a wrestling training drill in your old snapshot joke_explainer? I could get used to being a wrestling coach

I'd be down for a screen of my dwarf

vanisher fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 21, 2016

FreshCutFries

got everything loaded up, and the first thing i notice is our titanic landfill of mussel shells and vomit:

i like that it's overlooking our golden trade road, as if to say to newcomers, hey, if you don't like shellfish or vomit or, like, vomiting shellfish, turn back now.

we have no alcohol, and this doesn't seem to fit with our vomit encrusted public image, so let's do something about that. unfortunately, barrells are apparently a precious commodity and somebody claims them literally the second they're made, so we're gonna flood this motherfucker with barrels. i'm going to make so many barrels, they're going to flood the first floor, falling down the stairs to the lower levels and turn our entire fort into a giant game of donkey kong. maybe then dwarves will find somewhere to vomit that isn't the floor.

also, as joke_explainer said, we're gonna be in need of weapons better than copper. unfortunately, it looks like we're not gonna get any sedimentary layers, so probably no coal or iron. but! we did find some marble when digging down into the caves last year, so if we can trade for pig iron, we can make steel. i'm sure that forgotten beast has forgotten about us completely so it's got to be completely safe to tear down the pillar blocking off the caves and move it down beneath the marble. nothing can possibly go wrong!

FreshCutFries

vanisher posted:

Am I leading a wrestling training drill in your old snapshot joke_explainer? I could get used to being a wrestling coach

I'd be down for a screen of my dwarf

FreshCutFries

:siren::siren:

dude likes willow

FreshCutFries fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 21, 2016

vanisher

lol @ flooding it with barrels and the river of vomit and mussel shells overlooking the golden road

joke_explainer

no joke, 95% of the meals in the fortress our mussel-based, our fishermen seem to do a fantastic job in harvesting an unlimited amount of mussels... I keyed off the labor on most fishermen before I turned the save over but still, if food starts to go low, just turn those crazy mussel-obsessed dwarves back on

dunno about the vomit, I suppose its probably cave adaptation

FreshCutFries

got a migrant wave of ~25 migrants. i literally have no idea how people track migrants without dwarf therapist, so i guess we'll be checking them out as they're needed.

vanisher

Ugh I forgot about light sickness

Most of the time I design around it in the first year (oops)

e: explanation
(When dwarves don't go outside for too long they get a kind of sickness where when exposed to light they vomit, this can be engineered around by making sky lights or different sections of the fort so they are forced to see light every so often)

vanisher fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 21, 2016

joke_explainer

Thingyman posted:

got a migrant wave of ~25 migrants. i literally have no idea how people track migrants without dwarf therapist, so i guess we'll be checking them out as they're needed.

they're full-time haulers to sleep on the ground until you notice them imo

vanisher

Year 3: Mud Beast VS The Hauler Army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

apparently, WD-40 died at some point and is haunting our food stockpile! i hear that dwarves trying to get meals are hearing ethereal pleas to post their dick.

her combat log is from before the forgotten beast died and is completely empty, though? weird. i guess this is an excuse to start designing a catacombs area though.

it's a start

• Locked thread