Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Update: I tried bologna again, under the influence of a few drinks of course.

It's pretty much processed lard with occasional meat-esque flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Tim Burns Effect posted:

actually vegemite owns op

It's true, Vegemite is great. This is not great though:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ghost Head posted:

Your gross meat paste just reminded me of something else from my childhood. This is what was known to us as "Peck's Paste" and boy did I love this poo poo. I had it on everything. Again, in hindsight, what the gently caress?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_paste

Lol, the British version of that stuff has such a British name.

"Gentleman's Relish"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

extra stout posted:

i was hoping this was wrong though because a rye dessert called mammy makes me uncomfortable

Tough poo poo :mrgw:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Rutibex posted:

japan takes the cake as far as loving up pizza:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki

Okonomiyaki is actually quite good. Of course, if you ordered it expecting a pizza it's understandable to be at least disappointed.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

"taco in a bag"

Uh, I don't know what to tell you. Did you just make this up?

Taco in a bag is a thing I have eaten, although here it was called frito pie and it was just chili, onions and cheese dumped into a bag of fritos. It's obviously trash but sometimes trash is what you are after.

The worst things I've eaten were some soup a friend of mine got at a sushi place. I don't know the name but it was a clear lookin broth with some horrifically funky taste and egg custard on top. It was miserable. The other was a Durian fruit bubble tea. Durian fruit tastes as bad as it smells, do not believe the lies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Again, wtf? Are you referring to this monstrosity from Pizza Hut?

This looks like the perfect "I hate myself" food.

OOOO ooo ooo ooo I got one! I'm guessing it's probably available everywhere in the US but as a kid, my babysitter would make me a Braunschweiger sandwich. It was basically a liverwurst paste. Gross as hell. I hated it but was too afraid to defy my master.

Is this pâté? Because pate owns.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jack Trades posted:

This looks like the perfect "I hate myself" food.

Is this pâté? Because pate owns.

There are different kinds but the kind I had was definitely a pâté consistency.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"deep fried cheese curds with mayo aloe"

Wrong thread buddy. Never heard of "mayo aloe" but gently caress yeah fried cheese curds are the poo poo. Those don't look too good though. Too much breading so probably barely any cheese in there.

This is a little better and fried cheese curds is god tier food.

Give me all of that, I wouldn't regret a single second of it

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

OOOO ooo ooo ooo I got one! I'm guessing it's probably available everywhere in the US but as a kid, my babysitter would make me a Braunschweiger sandwich. It was basically a liverwurst paste. Gross as hell. I hated it but was too afraid to defy my master.

my dad got me to try braunschweiger as a teenager and I liked it because I'm a bad person. I enjoy it occasionally, but the store that sold the 'good' brand closed. so whenever my dad goes somewhere that has it, he gets me a few slices. :3:

e: he also does this w/ olive loaf

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Laputanmachine posted:

Okonomiyaki is actually quite good. Of course, if you ordered it expecting a pizza it's understandable to be at least disappointed.

It's more like a savory pancake, calling it a pizza is just setting yourself up for failure.

anyway my vote for all time worst is loving mayo salads they are very not good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Liver and onions is a pretty fuckin bad dish from my homeland of Great Britain. It normally looks bad. It is often cooked really badly so it ends up as a moist clump of disintegrating organs, and it used to be served to children at school because the ingredients are cheap.

YUCK

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Rutibex posted:

japan takes the cake as far as loving up pizza:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okonomiyaki

wtf okonomiyaki is an omelette, how can you call it a "pizza"

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Uh, no they don't. At least not a single Mexican restaurant that I've ever been to. I've had "italian fries" before which are kind of like bread sticks.

edit: unless they have a kid's menu I guess

I feel so bad for you

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/10-best-carne-asada-fries-in-los-angeles-2894935

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
^^^^^ I'd eat that.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

It's more like a savory pancake, calling it a pizza is just setting yourself up for failure.

anyway my vote for all time worst is loving mayo salads they are very not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

:smith:

edit: leave the annotations on for extra sadness

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 17, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

^^^^^ I'd eat that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

:smith:

edit: leave the annotations on for extra sadness

I'm the human who loses their breath stirring some macaroni.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Surprised no Icelanders have stopped by to submit Kæstur hákarl. Because that poo poo is pretty gnar.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm the human who loses their breath stirring some macaroni.

I failed to see a human in that video.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I failed to see a human in that video.

Now now. Inside every immense person there is a thin person they ate.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

i remember this stuff and even at like 8 years old i thought it was kinda weird and dumb

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Same. I remember the green stuff and I only tasted it once. The stuff was gross to look at and even though it may just be ketchup with dye, the color just makes it taste worse. I wonder how that product campaign went for them.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

B.H. Facials posted:

Surprised no Icelanders have stopped by to submit Kæstur hákarl. Because that poo poo is pretty gnar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%E1karl

Sounds pretty fuckin gross. Even if it tasted amazing (which it apparently does not), I don't think I could make it past the fact that it smells like a strong cleaning product.

:barf:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Jack Trades posted:

Absolutely disgusting inedible garbage that people in certain states of US might love because it often has heaps of raw mayo. :barf:
Didn't know this disease had spread to the US from the Nordic countries, I'm so sorry. I have no idea who thought taking a bunch of sandwich ingredients and smashing it together with the trappings of a cake (and in the process slathering it full of mayo and whatever creamy poo poo) was an appetizing concept. It's one of the grossest foods made up of otherwise non-gross ingredients.

Ghost Head posted:

gross meat paste
Isn't this just pâté? :shrug: Put it on toast.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
okonomyaki and takoyaki are fine. how does this compete with like "cheese whiz" and fuckin mayo and slop as a cake? japenese food is obviously superior

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Elukka posted:

Didn't know this disease had spread to the US from the Nordic countries, I'm so sorry. I have no idea who thought taking a bunch of sandwich ingredients and smashing it together with the trappings of a cake (and in the process slathering it full of mayo and whatever creamy poo poo) was an appetizing concept. It's one of the grossest foods made up of otherwise non-gross ingredients.

Isn't this just pâté? :shrug: Put it on toast.

hey nobody told you not to like it. put it on toast if you like

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I was just wondering if this was some weird gross variation because it strikes me as so normal. Anyway thanks for "mayo and slop as a cake" it's a great description of sandwich cake.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Haha how can you post pâté in here, philistines.. it's amazing and everywhere in the west

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Rough Lobster posted:

Scrapple at least is an Amish/Pennsylvania Dutch dish that is a bunch of poo poo like hog snout and pork fat mushed together with cornmeal or some other grain type stuff into a loaf then sliced and pan fried and served with breakfast. I can see how it would qualify as a gross, weird food, but it's a local favorite where I'm from and I love it dearly.

Scrapple is the king of breakfast meats and every day that I work I eat a scrapple, egg, and cheese sandwich as a reward for being a grownup who goes to work.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I live in lancaster county and have eaten scrapple many times. Like most Amish savory foods it's extremely underwhelming and tasteless, unlike their baked goods and sweets which are generally amazing

Scrapple can be good but specifically the type you get from PA Dutch style places is just bland as hell. The Amish are also responsible for a lot of those savory jellies which as you mentioned are trash

I think this is because spices are sinful and make you start asking questions about the rest of your dull rear end life. Sweets just make you sleepy and content.

ROFL Octopus posted:

It's pretty amazing how far "lunch meat" and "manufactured meat product" go in terms of making things sound appetizing.

e: Apparently the closest equivalent we have in the US is bologna, basically an unholy fusion of beef and pork, with all kinds of artificial ingredients thrown in. I can't give any kind of opinion one way or another because I haven't had it in 15+ years.

Bologna is loving great if you don't just but the cheapest poo poo you can find. Venison bologna is a super common thing to make with deer scraps and is one of the best sandwich meats out there.

FYI I am super sensitive to the honor of my meatpaste friends and will be compelled to defend them at every opportunity. You guys have no idea the taste pleasures you are missing out on.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 17, 2016

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Braunschweiger is good with mustard + bread and butter pickle + onion.
That Devon stuff looks kinda like Taylor Pork Roll, which is a salty, not-great meat product popular in New Jersey. Fried bologna is pretty tasty, to people from Pittsburgh this is called a "jumbo sandwich" for some reason.

I'm going to buy olive loaf today, to try it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Liver and onions is a pretty fuckin bad dish from my homeland of Great Britain. It normally looks bad. It is often cooked really badly so it ends up as a moist clump of disintegrating organs, and it used to be served to children at school because the ingredients are cheap.

YUCK

Liver and onions can be delicious if you cook it right. The problem is most people try to cook it like salisbury steak when you only have to sear it and let it simmer in the juices from the onions for a little.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

Liver and onions can be delicious if you cook it right. The problem is most people try to cook it like salisbury steak when you only have to sear it and let it simmer in the juices from the onions for a little.

Last time I had liver (and onions) for lunch half the piece of liver was fine and the other half tasted like pissy sick. It's amazing they managed that.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

Update: I tried bologna again, under the influence of a few drinks of course.

It's pretty much processed lard with occasional meat-esque flavors.

Sorry you suck at making mortadella.

These are callos, just a bunch of cooked intestines. Hella gross.

And these are criadillas, which is code for testicles.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

^^^ Pissy bitch babies might balk at eating tripe but a well-prepared menudo or plate of crispy tripa tacos is life-changing, doubly so when under (or the morning following) the influence of alcohol.

As far as lovely Mexican food goes, I gotta submit moldy corn scrapings instead:

Huitlacoche, also known as corn smut, consists of some idiot's bad corn harvest that was overgrown with a local fungus. Instead of throwing it away like any sane, decent person would do, he convinced you that what resulted was actually food, probably because you're an idiot too. Usually prepared for breakfast with eggs in my experience, this doesn't even have the benefit of being one of those "looks gross, tastes great" foods. Instead it's this kinda flavorless filler-tasting item that picks up the taste of whatever it was prepared with, kinda ruining the point of including it in the first place.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 17, 2016

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Huitlacoche, also known as corn smut,

lol, corn smut. Reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOcT1lwy6I

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Yeah, in the US packaged bologna is basically "Tasteless Meat Product™".

WHOA WHOA WHOA
I will IRL fight you over Braunshweiger (liverwurst) It's just a liverwurst, buddy. Ain't nothing crazy.
\

Little butter, little cream cheese, little 'wurst. You got yourself a breakfest.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 17, 2016

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
UGLY poo poo!

I will not go.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ooh ooh did someone post liver box yet? If so here's more liver box.

The secret ingredient is loving raisins because who doesn't want raisins with their liver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Johnny Aztec posted:

WHOA WHOA WHOA
I will IRL fight you over Braunshweiger (liverwurst) It's just a liverwurst, buddy. Ain't nothing crazy.
\

Little butter, little cream cheese, little 'wurst. You got yourself a breakfest.

To be fair, I have't had it in about 25 years. If I have the opportunity, I should try it again. There has been lot's of stuff I hated as a kid that I love now.

• Locked thread