Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
what is cspam's opinion in regards to trump's marijuana policy?

he seemed to be okay with states deciding things during the election said said he supported medical marijuana "one hundred percent", but he nominated noted buzzkill jeff beauregard sessions as attorney general

is legal weed hosed y/n?

i would hope they leave medical alone at least, coz i like my card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

weed is still federally illegal, soooooo probably?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Nope and if they try they'll lose all their political capital and get bogged down for 4 years doing nothing.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
My hope is that it just adds another 4 (8?) years before the inevitable decriminalization on a federal level. Even the Bush administration didn't gently caress with state's rights when it came to gay marriage.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sessions will try and Trump will not give a poo poo and it will be in court for the next several years after CO/WA/etc. sue the feds

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Depends on who Trump listens to, can't imagine many GOP people with a brain wanting to guarentee a CO loss in 2020.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Roylicious posted:

Nope and if they try they'll lose all their political capital and get bogged down for 4 years doing nothing.

actually they have a majority so they'll be fine and just blame the democrats for it as usual

problem solved

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Trump will legalize the sale of all drugs, but only through licensed vendors. Trump Cocaine coming soon to a city near you.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Yinlock posted:

actually they have a majority so they'll be fine and just blame the democrats for it as usual

problem solved

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Given that Trump's whole schtick these days seems to be robbing the Democrats of voters they've taken for granted, I wouldn't honestly be too shocked to see the republicans legalize Marijuana while using Sessions as a signal to law enforcement that the drug war is still going to be as brutal and awful as ever even after they stop rounding up the weed smokers

If the GOP legalizes weed I'm done voting forever ftr, Obama and the dems had eight loving years. Fool me once.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
do you think they'll gently caress with medical weed? i like my card very much

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I want to smoke weed so I hope that this does not happen and I would be very upset if it did

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
well, sessions literally said his only beef with the kkk was they smoked weed so

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
trump is going to do absolutely nothing about weed

he will let sessions do whatever he wants, which mostly consists of enforcing the existing federal laws banning weed in all fifty states, and he himself will ignore the issue completely

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I could take it either way, to be frank.

On one hand, ruining people's lives over Marijuana is a waste of resources.

On the other hand, "lol gently caress stoners" is actually a pretty appealing argument.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I took a weedjob over the election and they have no lack of momentum. Current vibe is that if they do touch it, they'll federally legalize so they can slap 7% on top or whatever. They love money over all, epileptic kids being basically cured by CBD are very powerful stories in the media right now, and they don't need weed to be illegal to detain and shoot brown ppl any more.

(spouse works in weed too so we are kind of putting money where mouth is)

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Harveygod posted:

I could take it either way, to be frank.

On one hand, ruining people's lives over Marijuana is a waste of resources.

On the other hand, "lol gently caress stoners" is actually a pretty appealing argument.

To who, you? Republican voters don't really care anymore.

Even in the depths of awful right-wing twitter I have yet to see a single person express excitement about an oncoming Sessions war on weed, it's not an issue that animates the base any more if it ever really did.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mirthless posted:

Given that Trump's whole schtick these days seems to be robbing the Democrats of voters they've taken for granted, I wouldn't honestly be too shocked to see the republicans legalize Marijuana while using Sessions as a signal to law enforcement that the drug war is still going to be as brutal and awful as ever even after they stop rounding up the weed smokers

If the GOP legalizes weed I'm done voting forever ftr, Obama and the dems had eight loving years. Fool me once.

That would actually make a ton of sense, but would require the Republican party to be operating with some degree of intentionality and be making strategically savvy moves. People underestimated Trump a lot and I think if he actually had firm control of the party/cared about solidifying electoral support he might make that move, but nothing that has actually occurred since he won really gives the impression that he or anyone else is steering the ship in such a manner.

But that could change real fast- I don't think anyone knows how a Trump administration is going to run.

LGD has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Dec 15, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

in trump's america, when you bring that joint to your lips, you'll get tazed in the groin

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Yinlock posted:

problem solved

What are they going to do? It's already Schedule I federally. The states will immediately sue and an injunction will be put on any enforcement until the trial is over years later during which time more and more legalization will be rolled out.

Kick up enforcement and raid state-legal dispensaries? Good luck.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

hopefully he ramps up prosecutions because liberals don't deserve their legal weed after letting trump win

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
no because trump will make money off of it because it has great tax revenue to build his wall

bing bong bing so simple

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I've probably said it before but Sessions was put on to be the immigration hawk not the weed warrior and that is what he will spend his time on. Tennessee will probably pass medical and Michigan, New Jersey, and the rest of New England might go legal in 2017. Medical is a juggernaut.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

no because trump will make money off of it because it has great tax revenue to build his wall

bing bong bing so simple

sorry no escaping the horror of the next 4 years through mind altering substances is strictly haram

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

jarofpiss posted:

sorry no escaping the horror of the next 4 years through mind altering substances is strictly haram

we're nowhere near UNATCO vs NSF cyberpunk levels just yet or even in the worst case scenario of Dredd's Mega City (Trump) One

just..

just give it a chance!!! :grin:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

if nothing else, I will be getting extremely high for the next 4-8 yrs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

jarofpiss posted:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mfw when the nukes fly under legal trump weed

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Pollyanna posted:

if nothing else, I will be getting extremely high for the next 4-8 yrs

if trump does kill weed then allow me to recommend liquid salvia extract, because short of actual death, ego-death is the only escape from this fallen reality

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
weeds both legal and illegal will be killed along with all other life on earth

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

deadgoon posted:

weeds both legal and illegal will be killed along with all other life on earth

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

mfw when the nukes fly under legal trump weed

lets get slooooooooooooo

Ooooooooooooo

Ooooooooooo

oooooooo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

if trump does kill weed then allow me to recommend liquid salvia extract, because short of actual death, ego-death is the only escape from this fallen reality

know what? gently caress it, I'll try it

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
we are going to make japan's position on the devil's herb seem rational and moderate

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Like many things smoking weed will only be legal while wearing a MAGA hat

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Trump will legalize the sale of all drugs, but only through licensed vendors. Trump Cocaine coming soon to a city near you.

tbf this would probably be an improvement over the current situation

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Roylicious posted:

What are they going to do? It's already Schedule I federally. The states will immediately sue and an injunction will be put on any enforcement until the trial is over years later during which time more and more legalization will be rolled out.

Kick up enforcement and raid state-legal dispensaries? Good luck.

rolled out from where, the gop who want everything to be the same as a hundred years ago?

I mean this is just an excuse to round up more prison slaves so white people should be fine anyway and thus won't care

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pushpins posted:

Like many things smoking weed will only be legal while wearing a MAGA hat

if smoking weed becomes legal but only if you Wear The Hat the pure agony that would cause potheads and hippies would make the next 4/8/∞ years way way more tolerable

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
my fear is this: The Man in the High Tower :rimshot: will let Sessions do whatever, including shutting down medical cannabis dispensaries and mass-arrest patients

sessions sounds like the type to do that and it freaks me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

LGD posted:

That would actually make a ton of sense, but would require the Republican party to be operating with some degree of intentionality and be making strategically savvy moves. People underestimated Trump a lot and I think if he actually had firm control of the party/cared about solidifying electoral support he might make that move, but nothing that has actually occurred since he won really gives the impression that he or anyone else is steering the ship in such a manner.

But that could change real fast- I don't think anyone knows how a Trump administration is going to run.

yeah honestly the thing that scares me the most about the next four to eight years is not knowing what the gently caress is going to happen. Trump is completely unpredictable, even the stuff that should be able to be measured out with numbers is completely wrong. We are living in a brave new world.

another thing to consider: while there is overwhelming support for marijuana reform, health-based approaches to drug law is still a concept in it's infancy to most americans and while smart money says weed is legal within the next 8-16 years regardless, who knows what the laws around opioids, etc are going to look like in that time? Right now the hope for people living with opiate addiction is riding pretty heavily on drug reform as a broad platform. How much are people going to care broad platform drug reform after weed is legal? It's gotta be occurring to some people in government at this point that they're nearing the point where they need to sever weed from the rest of drug politics if they want to keep anything close to the existing regime in place.

I think the the most likely order of things here is

1) Nothing is done at the federal level, other than maybe some language from Sessions. They will be few, if any federal busts and they will likely all revolve around the huge number of growers and dispensaries operating in Colorado and California running darknet operations. (you would not believe the amount of weed that comes out of humboldt county via USPS, lol)
2) Medical marijuana is completely legalized and marijuana is decriminalized at the federal level; existing offenders all stay in, mandatory minimums remain in the system, and no other drug laws change for the next eight years (except maybe harsher penalties)
3) Complete 180 and the federal government tries to put the genie back in the bottle. This is a total disaster that costs them the senate in 2018.
4) Complete 180 and the federal government tries to put the genie back in the bottle. This is a total disaster but lol nothing matters and the Republicans remain in power for at least 8 years.

but again Donald Trump is a chaos golem and there's no loving telling what's in store. For all we know we're going to all be talking about ending alcohol prohibition (again) in 2023.

There is a 0% chance that Colorado ever enforces again, though, no matter what happens, lol. They would be in for the fight of their lives on that, I'm sure the GOP are writing off CO as unwinnable at this point but getting into a battle with a state over an immensely popular law as the states rights party is not good optics for the GOP no matter where you are in the country.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Dec 16, 2016

• Locked thread