Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

It is dark, comfortable and warm. It’s also all you ever known, the steady rhythmic beating of your mother’s heartbeat lulling you to sleep and then waking you, over and over again. Your limbs twitch and suddenly you shift, your mother’s muscles contracting around you and pushing you from your comfortable abode. You are scared. This is the first time anything different or new has ever happened in your lifetime. You are being forced away from everything you’ve ever known and loved.

Suddenly there is light. And light hurts. It hurts and it is scary and why is everything so bright?! What is this?! Your instincts take over and you open your mouth and let out the first sound you’ve ever made. You scream and cry and scream and cry while rough hands covered in latex prod and pull and push you around. You are terrified. Somebody takes something sharp and cuts you from your mother. They clean you with soft things and wrap you up in more soft things and hand you to someone strange. Then you hear it, your mother’s heartbeat again. You begin to calm down and fall asleep almost instantly.

Congratulations, you’ve just been born! However the doctors noticed something very peculiar when, or very soon after you were born. What was it?

A. The doctor noticed that you were extremely heavy for a baby, almost 35lbs while they were carrying you to the table to clean you, however while you were inside your mother you were of normal weight and once you had calmed down you were of normal weight as well. You don’t know it yet but you will one day soon learn you are able to control the density of your molecular structure when you are in distress, effectively increasing your mass, weight, durability and even structural make-up of all your tissues to unknown levels. Impossible due to the laws of the conservation of mass but still you are able to. You could make your skin tougher than diamonds or porous enough to absorb large amounts of moisture. You can however make yourself heavier than your muscles can support without training and could collapse under your own weight if you were so inclined

B. A nurse was playing with you a few days after your birth at a routine check-up. You gripped her finger in your tiny hands and completely crushed it. Effectively reducing the bones in the tip of her finger to dust. You have been blessed (or cursed) with incalculable strength. There are no limits to the amount of weight you can effectively lift or move. However the laws of physics still apply to everything except for you. You are more likely to rip the fuselage off a plane rather than lift the whole thing off the ground. Your body is slightly tougher to accommodate your ability but you can still be injured by conventional things.

C. When you were screaming after you were born all the glass in the room cracked and several eardrums ruptured. The doctors were terrified of you and pushed you and your mother out of the hospital as soon as they could meaning you weren’t given the proper blood-tests and such. Your parents sued for negligence and won the lawsuit so you are substantially better off than they were before. You do however have the ability to make sounds at any decibel despite having a seemingly normal voice box. You also instinctively know the resonance frequency of almost any object you come across and could shatter or even disintegrate it with the power of your voice. When you were young you had difficulties controlling the volume of your voice and may have caused unintentional damage to objects and people.

D. The nurse cleaning you noticed the air around you was much hotter than the surrounding air in the room, however when she called the doctor over the air suddenly became much cooler. The doctor assumed it was a quirk in the AC system until it was noticed your body temp was fluctuating wildly as well. It normalized when you were given to your mother and all they could really do was monitor it for any changes later. You have the ability to somehow control the air around you by manipulating the air temperatures. Using the principles of warm air rising and cool air sinking you can cause strong gusts of winds, enough to push down trees and other large objects and with the right clothing to catch the wind could cause yourself to float in the air with great concentration. You are not affected by sudden changes in body temp and are quite comfortable in any climate.

E. Something else, remember that the only difference with normal laws of physics is you.

As you grew older you realized you were much different than everyone around you. Did you keep your abilities hidden or were you very public with them? Consider the consequences of being different from everyone everywhere and the benefits.

Another thing you as noticed as you grew older was something strange that happened whenever you used your ability. What was it?

F. When you use your ability you’ve noticed your hair turning white. The longer you use it or if you use it more intensely the color change happens much more rapidly. The hair slowly changes back to your normal color over 24 hours however. You have not allowed your hair to change completely white for fear of what would happen if you did so. You have noticed that the more of your hair that turns white the more hungry you become later as well.

G. When you use your ability you noticed your vision slowly going more and more blurry the longer or more intensely you use it. The blurriness recedes a few minutes after you cease using your power. However you have noticed that your vision continues to degrade as you get older and you must use corrective lenses. You do not know if this because of your power or if it is just genetic problems as both of your parents wear glasses.

H. You have extreme trouble sleeping if you use your power too often or too intensely. You suffer all the same affects that normal human does from lack of sleep, poor decision making, immune system problems, lethargy, etc etc. However you do seem to require less sleep than most do.

I. You cannot physically feel anything for several hours after using your ability, all sense of touch is completely nullified, up to and including pain. You have trouble gripping objects due to not knowing if you’re actually touching the object and how firmly you’re actually holding it as well during this time.

J. Some other weakness associated with using your power.

Finally: Are you a Girl or a Boy? and What is your name

Welcome to my first attempt at a CYOA. You live in a world just like ours, all the same laws of physics and thermal dynamics except with one exception. You. How you interact with this world is up to you and how the world will react to you is up to me and the dice rolls I’ll be doing behind the scene. I’m mostly doing this as a writing exercise because I’ve always wanted to create a world and a story but I’ve never had the time or the patience for it. I think if I have you guys forcing me to think of creative and clever scenarios it may spark my own creative juices as well.

Mechanics behind the scene will be similar to Never Ever Give Up (found here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796635 you should check it out) in which we have 1d6 versus the difficulty d6 of whatever choices we make, though our abilities are more limited to what power we choose (for now at least) and physics still applying to the world beyond us. Every time we succeed we will gain momentum based on the difficulty of the check and once we have +6 momentum we convert to an extra d6. These choices will start once we get past the character creation phase.

I do have a full time job and I am a single parent but I do plan on updating at least once a week. Thank you for taking the time to humor me in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A Density!
Go Public!
I Numb!
Boy!
Alan!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A Density
Go Public, what could possibly go wrong?
I Numb
Boy
Yeah fine let's go with Alan

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

D - Wind
Secret
J - Muscle weakness - The more you use your powers the weaker your muscles become, directly related to how long you used your powers for. It wears off after a few hours, but you're worried that if you went too far you'd stop being able to breathe. (Not that that matters because you can manipulate air, but it's a bit of a catch 22)
Boy Alan

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 16, 2016

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Dog Kisser posted:

A Density!
Go Public!
I Numb!
Boy!

Emmett

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dog Kisser posted:

A Density!
Go Public!
I Numb!
Boy!
Alan!

Alan!

Let's join the army, defect to a second world banana republic and rule with a denser than iron fist!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
A Density
Go Public
J - Normally when you shift yourself, your body will rubber-band back to it's baseline tendencies as soon as you stop focusing your powers. However, the more your powers are abused, the harder time you have returning to your baseline form, requiring more and more focused effort to return back or even to shift at all. It usually takes several hours of rest and a balanced meal in order to be able to adjust yourself well again.
Boy
Alan

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

DeathSandwich posted:

A Density
Go Public
J - Normally when you shift yourself, your body will rubber-band back to it's baseline tendencies as soon as you stop focusing your powers. However, the more your powers are abused, the harder time you have returning to your baseline form, requiring more and more focused effort to return back or even to shift at all. It usually takes several hours of rest and a balanced meal in order to be able to adjust yourself well again.
Boy
Alan

Last name Byrne.

P.S. you should look into getting the thread tag changed

Olive! fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 17, 2016

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
A Density
Go Public
Boy
Maximinus Thrax - make Thrace great again!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If we take J we could stay at rock hard and impervious to harm until it's permanent.

Other options, become the world's first serial suicide bomber.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Outrail posted:

If we take J we could stay at rock hard and impervious to harm until it's permanent.

Other options, become the world's first serial suicide bomber.

Then change it to where the more the powers are abused, the more unstable they become, spinning wildly out of control and potentially doing the opposite of what you want

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Nah, rock hard and impervious to harm means some spiderman type wraps us up and leaves us dangling impotently from a lamppost.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
When you were born, the doctors and your parents thought you were twins. You aren't. You have two bodies, but they are both equally you. You perceive from both bodies simultaneously, and control both without any (additional) difficulty. Any forces applied too one are split equally across both (essentially halving said force), and if you focus, you can turn your bodies into portals, connecting their locations.

Go Public

Using the portal application of your power causes you mood to fall, rather steeply. You deal with depression on a regular basis, seemingly insurmountable and if overused, you can fall into a motionless catatonia for hours, even days.

Male, Alan

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 19, 2016

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Aabcehmu posted:

When you were born, the doctors and your parents thought you were twins. You aren't. You have two bodies, but they are both equally you. You perceive from both bodies simultaneously, and control both without any (additional) difficulty. Any forces applied two one are split equally across both (essentially halving said force), and if you focus, you can turn your bodies into portals, connecting their locations.

Go Public

Using the portal application of your power causes you mood to fall, rather steeply. You deal with depression on a regular basis, seemingly insurmountable and if overused, you can fall into a motionless catatonia for hours, even days.

Male, Alan

This sounds like a cool idea.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
1: C - Screaming
2: Stay hidden
3: H - Sleep troubles
4: boy - Emmett

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
D
Secret
H
Girl

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Voting is closed working on the update now, and I'll message someone about fixing the tag, it was my third rendition of making the thread and I forgot to update the tag in the end

We're going to be a density manipulating boy named Alan who has always been rather public about his abilities. However whenever he uses his abilities he loses all sensation of touch for several hours after using his abilities.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Sounds like a poo poo poster to me! :v:

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Hey just to let you know this isn't dead, the CYOA adventure curse hit me hard hard hard, my laptop was stolen over christmas at the airport, however I am getting a new one soon so I should be able to do this within a week or so.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Lazaruise posted:

Hey just to let you know this isn't dead, the CYOA adventure curse hit me hard hard hard, my laptop was stolen over christmas at the airport, however I am getting a new one soon so I should be able to do this within a week or so.

drat, that's tough. Good luck!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Lazaruise posted:

THAT sucks! Good luck!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That really does suck. Airports are not a fun place at the best of times and having something like that stolen blows goats.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If someone stole my laptop I'd probably cry.

And then melt down as I realized when the last time I backed everything up was.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Got the new laptop finally, even though its much shittier than the old one at least it works. Anyways, Lets get this party started!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

As you grow up your ability to change your density became readily apparently as your weight and even your mass fluctuated wildly with your emotions. When you were a baby every time you were hungry, soiled yourself or had any sort of strong emotion your ability triggered. You were dropped several times though do to your increased durability prevented any lasting injuries. Whether or not you increased your mass or decreased it was seemingly random, though as you got older you gained more control over it.
Your earliest memory of using your ability at will was when you were three at a playground playing in the sandbox. A much bigger child came up to you and stole your shovel and bucket. You stood up to confront the offender and he swung the small metal bucket at your face. Just as the shovel connected with your head you willfully activated your power and did this...

A. Solidified your head as hard as a stone, the bucket dented and bounced off, recoiling and hitting the other kid in the face breaking his nose. Difficulty 1 / No momentum gained

B. Decreased the mass and density of your head causing it to become like jelly causing the bucket to sink into your head. This terrified the other child (and your dad who had brought you there) causing him to wet himself and run away. The bucket slowly was pushed out and your head returned to its normal shape afterwards Difficulty 2 / +1 momentum

C. Decreased your mass and weight so much that the bucket sent you flying through the air before floating like a feather down to the earth no the worse for wear. Difficulty 2 / +1 momentum

D. Something else Difficulty ? / + ? momentum

Immediately after this your whole body became numb. As you were leaving the park you ran into a wooden bench at full speed and broke your wrist. You didn't notice for several hours until suddenly the pain came all at once and caused you to pass out in shock. You woke up in the hospital with a cast and a very concerned mother. The doctors were puzzled about your lack of reaction for those hours and you were put under many different tests. Your special ability was soon discovered.

After this incident the parent of the other child as well as the doctors contacted the media and soon your life was a swamp of interviews and camera crews and your ability to have a normal childhood was rendered impossible. On the plus side the constant media attention allowed your family to make decent money and you were never left wanting for anything. This is the life you grew up to. You always knew you were special. How did this affect your personality?

E. You just wanted to be normal and cursed your uniqueness. You hated the attention and grew sullen and withdrawn. You are a loner. Gain the Introvert quality: You gain a +1 on all rolls when you are alone. When there are more than 3 people nearby you have a -1.

F. You reveled in the attention and loved talking to everyone about your cool powers. You love being the center of attention. Gain the Extrovert quality: You gain a +1 on all rolls when in a group of 3 or more. When you are alone you have a -1

G. You became spoiled by all the extra attention, money, and gifts you received. You become upset when things don't go your way but when you're given what you want you are extremely happy. Gain the Spoiled Brat quality: Whenever you gain momentum you gain 1 extra, however when you lose a roll you lose 1d6 for the next roll (minimum of 1)

H. You remained relatively normal despite the attention and tried to live your life as normally as possible, avoiding using your ability. Gain Average Joe quality: When not using your power you gain a +2 to your roll, however whenever you use your ability for more than 1 decision take disadvantage on the second roll.

Lazaruise fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 27, 2017

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

BE

You have 2 Es.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

BE

You have 2 Es.

Thank you, fixed!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
BG. In both cases, we let it go to our head.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

BG

Neat!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CH

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Going to leave this open for a few more hours before closing and starting to work on the update.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

BH

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
BE

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Pretty solidly B at this point but we have a 3-way tie between E, G, and H Next vote will win it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
G.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B H

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Came in too late Toughy sorry, but I am working on the update now, should be up tomorrow.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
I lied its done now.

-~-~-~-~-~

You watch as the bucket rushes towards your head and immediately attempt to turn your head into a gelatin, thinking back at the green wobbly desert your Oma made you just last weekend...

1d6 = 3 vs. 2d6 = 6 [Failure]

Just before it hits you suddenly remember how much you hated that desert and turned your power up to far causing your mass and body structure to suddenly become even more fluid like. When the bucket hit the top of your head basically became a splash of red water and exploded everywhere. Missing the top of your head you ran off in terror, though you did not feel a thing. In your fearful rush you rammed right into a nearby picnic table and, making matters worse, broke your wrist; though again you did not feel this. You sat down on this bench crying out for your father.

The liquid parts of your head coalesced into various gore and viscera all over the ground. The other child screamed and wet himself before passing out himself as part of you went down his throat and choked him once it solidified. His mother was able to remove the piece by the heimlich however it shot off into the distance and was unable to be found.

Your father was understandably panicked. He stared at your topless head in shock and horror. Dropping to his knees we futilely tried to put the gorey pieces back on to you. Somehow, miraculously, they reconnected. Your body was readily accepting back the pieces. As your father was putting the pieces back into you your sense of touch came back and all of the pain rushed suddenly into you, overloading our sense and causing you to pass out from shock.

You woke up in the hospital several days later surrounded by news crews and strange men in black suits. Your father told you that he and the EMTs were able to find the rest of your head except for one piece and there is now a large scar running across your forehead. You are a sensation with the media however the men in black suits keep trying to talk to you alone, though your parents won't let them near you.

And thus your life in the limelight began. Private tutors, private interviews, private shows showcasing your power and incredible resilience. Though your first attempt at using your power willingly ended in failure at what you were aiming to do you did discover that you have control over your molecules so long as your brain is intact and so long as the pieces of you are still touching you will eventually return to your normal state.

In one such interview at the age of 14 you showed off your ability to a captive audience by doing something you had never done before...

A. Causing your fist to become as stiff and hard as steel, punching through a solid wall of concrete. Difficulty 0 / + 0 momentum

B. Turning your entire body into something like steel and tanking a car running into at 35 mph. Difficulty 1 / +1 momentum

C. Transforming your body below your head into something not unlike melting wax and slipping your whole body into a bucket, while still conducting an interview. Difficulty 3 / +2 momentum

D. Causing your fingernails to become harder than diamonds, and from filing and growing them extremely long beforehand they become extremely sharp. You use these nails to cut through several phone books. Difficulty 1 / + 1 momentum / Add an additional d6 to the difficulty to gain the Claw Ability (+2 on any roll to attack with your nails)

E. Something else...

Abilities:
Spoiled Brat:
Whenever you gain momentum you gain 1 extra, however when you lose a roll you lose 1d6 for the next roll (minimum of 1)

Lazaruise fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Gross!

C

edit: Also I love all the little expansions and tweaks you're making to the system!

edit2: changed my vote on next page!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Thank you so much!

I also want to say that depending on the choices you make as the game goes on our abilities could change or even be removed completely. Some choices are also made harder or easier by your abilities as well. I won't mention in the choices which one that could be affected though to make it a little more challenging.

I will say however, just this once, that one of the choices in this actually one difficulty easier and another one is actually one difficulty harder due to your spoiled brat ability. Just think about how certain choices could be affected by abilities and our personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
D, lets develop some offensive capabilities. Brutal warlord dream is still possible.

• Locked thread