Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nut to Butt posted:

frankly, spain is the one that really dropped the ball

remember when an american ship blew up cause some idiot placed its ammo stockpile next to a furnace and in response they declared war on spain it was p funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
but then england would have had no incentive to be a democracy and been an empire forever with their lovely bangers in the mouths

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Elman posted:

remember when an american ship blew up cause some idiot placed its ammo stockpile next to a furnace and in response they declared war on spain it was p funny

we should have kept Cuba

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Universe Master posted:

we should have kept Cuba

really this is florida's fault

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Holland just called, they'd like a word with you.

We're a monarchy now because of those limey cunts.

Remember the raid on the Medway bitches!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Molentik posted:

We're a monarchy now because of those limey cunts.

Remember the raid on the Medway bitches!

You're a Monarchy because the Orange family played you guys for suckers. Nice job electing an orange buffoon to be your leader, idiots.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

but then england would have had no incentive to be a democracy and been an empire forever with their lovely bangers in the mouths

:ssh:
democracies can be empires

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
waving hand like "eh it's a seperate thing that owes its existence to the French as much as the British, and developed on its own lines culturally distinct from Canada which genuinely is Britain's fault"

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Holland just called, they'd like a word with you.

The Netherlands just called, they'd like to let you know that calling them Holland is like calling the United States "Dakota"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

nawcom posted:

The Netherlands just called, they'd like to let you know that calling them Holland is like calling the United States "Dakota"

The 80's just called, they want their cell phones back.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

luv 2 date boys posted:

it's cool, Canada still has a role as a very valuable hat!

This is true as Canada was founded on European demand for fancy beaver hats. Our first currency was literally beaver tokens, hunters exchanged furs for them and everything was priced in beavers.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
funny i was thinking just the reverse!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

nawcom posted:

can tell this nerd is from part of the netherlands that isn't holland and that nobody outside the netherlands would recognize

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

we in the usa also don't care if you call our country LA/NY or just "Lany."

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Nut to Butt posted:

frankly, spain is the one that really dropped the ball

That's true as well. Spain was so bad at building empires that they went bankrupt despite extracting thousands of boatloads of silver from South America. Also they wiped out most of civilization in the americas by being dirty and gross. Then they lost all of it and now Central America is ruled by drugs and poverty. Britain is incompetent, but Spain is just pathetic.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The Skeleton King posted:

That's true as well. Spain was so bad at building empires that they went bankrupt despite extracting thousands of boatloads of silver from South America. Also they wiped out most of civilization in the americas by being dirty and gross. Then they lost all of it and now Central America is ruled by drugs and poverty. Britain is incompetent, but Spain is just pathetic.

we have the largest navy on Earth! suck it Britain!

*a wind sinks them all*

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

cough the founding fathers only represented wealthy elites/landed gentry who manufactured dissent against the otherwise hands-off dominion of the english crown in order to escape taxes which primarily affected them and not the several million colonials cough

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

cough the founding fathers only represented wealthy elites/landed gentry who manufactured dissent against the otherwise hands-off dominion of the english crown in order to escape taxes which primarily affected them and not the several million colonials cough

cough the English royal family is deeply inbred cough

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

"building empires" ie getting inherited by a habsburg

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

If New Amsterdam was never swapped with Surinam and didnt become New York, would Americans speak (even more) hosed up Dutch like South Africans do?

Molentik fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 17, 2016

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

nawcom posted:

Isnt it more like calling rhe United States new York or Washington? Because that's pretty normal

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

And yet America is now the greatest so it turns out they were right

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

and now you will become America.

we loving wish

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016

Well, you will become south america

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
And Britain is Normandy's fault. So, we can just go ahead and blame the French for everything like good anglos.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Then the British, who were one of the most powerful military forces on earth at the time, got their poo poo canned by a bunch of angry hicks with muskets.

The success of the American revolution was fully contingent on the military support of France, who's military was a match for the British forces. Without that support the revolution would have been anhilated.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Dr Cheeto posted:

The success of the American revolution was fully contingent on the military support of France, who's military was a match for the British forces. Without that support the revolution would have been anhilated.

sounds to me like Britain can't fight two wars at once

give you one guess who can

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm just saying, maybe we should blame France

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm just saying, maybe we should blame France

the french responsible for funding the American revolution got what was coming to them soon after, don't worry.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stupid British. You guys think you are so much better than Americans when the truth is that America was born from your incompetence. All you had to do was negotiate taxes better and the colonies would have been content, but instead you dumb fuckers doubled down and caused a rebellion. Then the British, who were one of the most powerful military forces on earth at the time, got their poo poo canned by a bunch of angry hicks with muskets.

Now the United States is more powerful and more wealthy than Britain will ever be, and every atrocity and injustice that the USA has committed is directly the fault of the British and their failures. Failing to keep America under control is perhaps the most colossal failure in history. You could've been king poo poo of the whole drat world, but you hosed it up and now Donald Trump is loving president.

Actually you can't blame Britan for it entirely.

One of the big things the British was arguing with America about that you NEVER loving see in American history books is slavery. It was already going out of style in the UK at that point and the US was whole-hog "slaves are great!"

But like Canada taking the white house, America never mentions it's bad bullshit in history books. Real history is nothing like the history I learned as a kid, even if it's mostly lies of omission.

ED: Everyone in the UK kinda thought Columbus was an extremist shithead and nobody liked him, because the guy was a genocidal selfish rear end in a top hat hosed up by even the standards of the day. I find the fact was still celebrate the guy hilarious. He literally dumb lucked into the greatest find he could make.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 17, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually you can't blame Britan for it entirely.

One of the big things the British was arguing with America about that you NEVER loving see in American history books is slavery. It was already going out of style in the UK at that point and the US was whole-hog "slaves are great!"

But like Canada taking the white house, America never mentions it's bad bullshit in history books. Real history is nothing like the history I learned as a kid, even if it's mostly lies of omission.

which would be a good point if less than a hundred years later the British didn't waffle on who to support in the Civil War based on all that cheap cotton they were buying

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

which would be a good point if less than a hundred years later the British didn't waffle on who to support in the Civil War based on all that cheap cotton they were buying

What the British were doing in their African colonies was basically slavery, they just called it "taxes" and let the local chief crack the whip instead. the British abused the hell out of their African colonies long after they outlawed "slavery"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Rutibex posted:

What the British were doing in their African colonies was basically slavery, they just called it "taxes" and let the local chief crack the whip instead. the British abused the hell out of their African colonies long after they outlawed "slavery"

one good thing though is they bought opium from India and sold it at fair market value to the Chinese

very forward thinking of them, truly a model of civilization

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

VikingSkull posted:

one good thing though is they bought opium from India and sold it at fair market value to the Chinese

very forward thinking of them, truly a model of civilization

history is bizarrely ironic and it never ceases to amuse me that the country that still makes the biggest fuss over the opium wars is now exporting synthetic opiates like fentanyl in bulk overseas

Marijuana Nihilist fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 17, 2016

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016

Dr Cheeto posted:

Eh the British still whipped the revolutionaries in every stand-up fight. The key was that they were unwilling to follow through with the standard genocide tactics for colonies on a population that was ethnically and culturally identical to themselves.

In other words, reverse racism won the war and saved America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

history is bizarrely ironic and it never ceases to amuse me that the country that still makes the biggest fuss over the opium wars is now exporting synthetic opiates like fentanyl in bulk overseas

I think that they would consider it fair game and an appropriately ironic revenge

• Locked thread