Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Welcome to the 15th Final Fantasy, or have there been more than that, I've lost count.

Perhaps you've heard of this series, but if not, Final Fantasy(FF) is a RPG series spanning several decades and consoles, all taking place in different fictional universes. Final Fantasy 15, originally Final Fantasy 13-Versus, is not exactly a game that came out on time. It was originally intended to be an offshoot of FF13, but with all the fan criticisms of FF13, and the horrible mess that was FF14 on launch, the game was put into a development limbo for a while. Eventually what came out, 10 years after it was shown to the public, was Final Fantasy 15.

What is this game

If you played any of the previous games(Barring the mmo's), the series has typically been menu-driven RPG's, but that whole idea was tossed out the window here. What we have is much more of a Character-Action game, with RPG elements. Positioning, timing attacks, quicktime events are all things that are going on here, all wrapped up in the too-many-belts-and-weird-character-design that Final Fantasy is known for.

The game itself follows Prince Noctis, who is on the road to go and get married to the Oracle Lunafreya in order to help stabilize the world politically. Joining him on the trip are his 3 Best buds, Gladiolus, Prompto, and Ignus. The game expects some things from the players on the story front however, as Square-Enix made it not so clear that to understand what is going on in the story, or who the characters are, you need to watch Brotherhood: Final Fantasy 15, an Anime and Kingsglaive Final Fantasy 15, a Movie. These cover parts of the story that are seemingly missing from the game, and introduce the main characters in a "well this is how we met and became buds" kind of way.

The LP

Joining me is my bud, Zarin, as we make our way through the roadtrip land of FF15. I've been a fan of the series for a long time, and have beaten nearly all of the mainline FF games, while Zarin fell off around the transition to PS2. The other thing you should know, is we are both going into the game blind, I know basically nothing outside of watching the anime, and some pre-release trailers. So please, :siren:No spoilers:siren:

The intermission videos contain various Sidequests and activities that I complete solo. They have some sparse Subtitle commentary, and are more of an excuse for me to just faff about without regards to the main plot.

Videos

The Tutorial
Episode #1: Out of cash
Episode #2: Dave
Episode #3: My Car
Episode #4: Sperlunking(poorly)
Episode #5: Cat Quests
Episode #6: New Clothes
Episode #7: Hunting a bit
Episode #8: Night Hunting
Episode #9: Kingly Journey
Episode #10: Cid Missions
Episode #11: Knocking out a few sidequests
Episode #12: Cor Gameplay
Episode #13: Royal weapon spelunking
Episode #14: War for Freedom
Episode #15: The Open World
Episode #16: Deadeye
Intermission #1: Cindy sidequests and Prompto Photos
Episode #17: Chomsky The Chocobo
Episode #18: Chocobo exploration
Intermission #2: Sidequests, activities and more!
Episode #19: Lestallum
Episode #20: Party Member in Training
Episode #21: Waterfall Ice Cavern?
Episode #22: Journey to Titan
Episode #23: The Archean
Episode #24: Riding around for Ramuh
Episode #25: The Fulgurian
Episode #26: The Armiger
Episode #27: Sneaking Mission
Intermission #3-1: Chocobo's
Intermission #3-2: Frog questing
Episode #28: Face full of Concrete
Episode #29: Malmalam Thicket
Episode #30: 3 Fella Fiesta
Episode #31: Party of 4?
Episode #32: Mythril Mines, continued.
Episode #33: A special Guest Hunter
Episode #34: Balouve Mines, Redux
Intermission #4: Moogles & More
Episode #35: The Rock of Ravatogh
Intermission #5: Holly's Maintenance Crew
Episode #36: The Myrlwood
Episode #37: Crestholm Channels, Pt 1
Episode #38: Crush-a-base, again
Intermission #6: Cape Caem and sidequesting
Episode #39: Castlemark Tower, Pt 1
Episode #40: Castlemark Tower, Pt 2
Intermission #7: The last of the sidequests
Episode #41: Weapon collection
Episode #42: The Chocobo-Moogle Festival, Pt 1
Episode #43: The Chocobo-Moogle Festival, Pt 2
Episode #44: The Chocobo-Moogle Festival Pt 3
Episode #45: Setting Sail
Episode #46: An In-Boat experience
Episode #47: A walk through Altissia
Episode #48: The Hydrean
Episode #49: Brothers, Broken
Episode #50: Coming back Together.
Episode #51: Switcheroo
Episode #52: The Glacian
Episode #53: The Regalia; Dread chapter begins
Episode #54: Stealth is useless
Episode #55: Re-Arming ourselves
Episode #56: Switches and Soldiers
Episode #57: Meeting back up with our friends
Episode #58: The World of Ruin
Episode #59: Welcome home; Infernian
Episode #60: The end of our Journey

Post Game and DLC

Episode #61: Chapter 13, Verse 2. A Gladiolus perspective

Episode Gladiolus
Episode #62: Desiring Power
Episode #63: Pillars of Strength
Episode #64: Battle on the Big Bridge

Episode Prompto
Episode #65: Resident Prompto
Episode #66: Prompto's Extreme Snowcross
Episode #67: Old Self
Episode #68: ff_victorymusic.wav

Assassins Festival
Episode #69: the Same old Minigames
Episode #70: Killing Machines at the festival
Episode #71: Prince of Garbage

Episode Ignis
Episode #72: Capturing Districts?
Episode #73: A New Ally
Episode #74: Fate
Episode #75: Alternate Reality
Episode #76: The Optional stuff

Royal Edition DLC (Chapter 14 rework)
Episode #77: Noctis's Return; Redux
Episode #78: Insomnia, Ruined
Episode #79: The Power of the Void
Episode #80: Norgtis

Koobes fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Lore Things

The Lore guide(from the Turotial)

Kingsglaive write-up(To be done after we actually watch it)

Brotherhood Anime Write-up(TBD)

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Reserved(in case?)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

More Boy Band Playthroughs

More!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Okay so I know the lady at the weapon shop looks goofy but when you find out what she does it all makes sense.

I've known people with her job and like half of them cannot dress themselves and that weird smock she's got is pretty close to stuff I've actually seen being worn.

When you say no spoilers, is a suggestion for using your AP fine? Cause there's a couple of really good abilities that're worth getting early.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 17, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I haven't played Final Fantasy since VII (which I never even got halfway through), but this game actually looks cool/bizarre so I'm in for one wild ride here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So who wants a free avatar?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Free, you say? :ohdear:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

When you say no spoilers, is a suggestion for using your AP fine? Cause there's a couple of really good abilities that're worth getting early.

Sure feel free, though do note we are a good chunk of episodes ahead.

chitoryu12 posted:

I haven't played Final Fantasy since VII (which I never even got halfway through), but this game actually looks cool/bizarre so I'm in for one wild ride here.

:rimshot:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zarin posted:

Free, you say? :ohdear:

If you want it, you can call dibs.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh cool, another FFXV LP. You're not talking over the cutscenes, so I'll prioritize this one instead of the other one. I'm already liking this commentary a bit better as well.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Koobes posted:

Sure feel free, though do note we are a good chunk of episodes ahead.

:rimshot:

Fair enough, if you haven't got it you want the Regroup technique for Ignis (it's a mega potion/pull out of danger dumped on the party for two tech bars) and the at least a few of the "do stuff get AP" abilities from the exploration section because they really build up if you get them early.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 18, 2016

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode #2

We meet our new best pal, Dave.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I know Final Fantasy has long been about mixing traditional fantasy things like giant swords and knights with modern/futuristic technology, but the dichotomy is starting to get a bit ridiculous when you've got dudes in regular polo shirts and khaki shorts eating jambalaya at a truck stop diner and suddenly some dude in black leather with anime hair and a giant magic sword shows up to collect a bounty on hunting giant beasts from the guy behind the counter.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A bunch of buds are on a road trip before marrying one of them off. I can dig it. After watching the first story video

Cindy's design/accent sure are something. And how do you not know "Stand by Me"? shameful

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm guessing those demon things don't spawn the first night - or, at least not unless you ignore Ignus and decide against setting up camp.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

A bunch of buds are on a road trip before marrying one of them off. I can dig it. After watching the first story video

Cindy's design/accent sure are something. And how do you not know "Stand by Me"? shameful

Not sure I've ever really heard the song prior to the game :shrug:

chitoryu12 posted:

I know Final Fantasy has long been about mixing traditional fantasy things like giant swords and knights with modern/futuristic technology, but the dichotomy is starting to get a bit ridiculous when you've got dudes in regular polo shirts and khaki shorts eating jambalaya at a truck stop diner and suddenly some dude in black leather with anime hair and a giant magic sword shows up to collect a bounty on hunting giant beasts from the guy behind the counter.

I think FF12 had the best dichotomy for these things. Everyone dressed in a similar way in the world, and you'd even see the odd other hunter doing things.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Koobes posted:

Not sure I've ever really heard the song prior to the game :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POeeTmtKLWs

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

oh god dammit. I thought it felt familiar for some reason.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Koobes posted:

oh god dammit. I thought it felt familiar for some reason.

Here's the FF15 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv2DSmy3Tro

And the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwZNL7QVJjE

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode #3. We've done some errands, now we can drive again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Sandbox games always end up having narrative dissonance if they both try to have a serious story and let the player gently caress around doing whatever, shooting and carjacking. For the most part western games have just ignored that in favour of freedom. It looks like FFXV has sacrificed a bit of freedom for the sake of maintaining consistency with the story.

In-story though, it does make sense why they wouldn't let you drive off-road. That car is nice, but it's not built for driving over cliffs or going off-road. Not to mention that it already broke down once and needed to be pushed, and I could understand the group not wanting to trash their ride again.

I have to say that it never occurred to me to go look for the bird. I just assumed that it probably isn't there, even if you did pinpoint the landing spot. I figured it just as foreshadowing for later.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sandbox games always end up having narrative dissonance if they both try to have a serious story and let the player gently caress around doing whatever, shooting and carjacking. For the most part western games have just ignored that in favour of freedom. It looks like FFXV has sacrificed a bit of freedom for the sake of maintaining consistency with the story.

In-story though, it does make sense why they wouldn't let you drive off-road. That car is nice, but it's not built for driving over cliffs or going off-road. Not to mention that it already broke down once and needed to be pushed, and I could understand the group not wanting to trash their ride again.

I have to say that it never occurred to me to go look for the bird. I just assumed that it probably isn't there, even if you did pinpoint the landing spot. I figured it just as foreshadowing for later.

In some ways, its real refreshing to have some semblance of restriction in an open world game. Preventing me from being able to go off and drive to anywhere in the world right away would just leave me in shambles because of the enormous level differences in enemies for example.

The car not going beyond roads is a bit disappointing, but at the same time, I know exactly why they did it. The foot exploration is really good in general, and with various waypoints from every tipster, you have a general idea of where to search if you want to find things, especially when hunts are within the same location.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode #4 We didn't quite find the bird....

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yep that thing was level 52 all right. My guess is that is because night fell while you were down in the mine. Maybe it was one of the Daemons which come out at night. I bet if you did that quest during the day, you wouldn't find that guy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
May want to check the Quest menu when a sidequest pops up. It may save you some surprises.

Also, when Noct runs out of Max HP, you have to immediately open the item menu and burn a Phoenix Down, otherwise, well, you saw what happens.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

May want to check the Quest menu when a sidequest pops up. It may save you some surprises.

Also, when Noct runs out of Max HP, you have to immediately open the item menu and burn a Phoenix Down, otherwise, well, you saw what happens.

Some surprises. The suggested levels are at best half baked. The mines aren't as scary as the quest log claims... That guy however, he's there during the day. But he might run away after he tosses you into the trash mob pit in the day.

Another dungeon... gently caress whoever decided its suggested level on that one.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Fedule posted:

The quest menu takes me a bit to get used to, since it has a lot more information than I thought it did at first glance, I kind of dismissed it at first.

The uhh death thing took me completely by surprise since I had no idea what to expect beyond the Goblins.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I did appreciate the way that dungeon slowly built the tension up by having a whole lot of nothing at the start, that was well done.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

That first loving mine cart nearly had me spill my drink when I played this.

So the thing with that dungeon for anyone wondering is the samurai doesn't chase you and instead moves to the end of the dungeon after kicking you off the bridge. You can see this in the video by it just being goblins swarming Noctis on the ground. So you can explore the rest of the dungeon and pick up some good loot by popping a phoenix down and then simply not fighting him again. You can also cheese the samurai in it's second location but that's a pain in the rear end.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This is the FFXV LP I'm definitely following. I'm digging the commentary. I also really love the small animations they put in like emulating X-Strike from Chrono Trigger and others, between the bros.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode #5 Making our way down to the beach, and learning to fish.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Trevally are real and strong and my friend pretty good to eat.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ubiquitous_ posted:

This is the FFXV LP I'm definitely following. I'm digging the commentary. I also really love the small animations they put in like emulating X-Strike from Chrono Trigger and others, between the bros.

Great to hear!

As for the commentary, that's all Koobes and his magic. He's had to say " . . . and that crossed a line. I'm going to have to cut that. Can you not?" and I'm like :v:

For anyone in the thread: is there a good way to farm gil? It seems that several times we've come up pretty short on cash and had to run around trying to sell stuff we otherwise might not want to just to get a room for the night. I get there's an argument that could be made regarding ~*~*~*Narrative Immersion*~*~*~ and having to scrape by and make hard decisions at the vendors and so on, but ... eh. I've never been keen on financial management in games. (No, not even Monopoly :colbert:)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Aside from quests/hunts, this game is again with the ~~~REALISM~~~ in gaming where wolves aren't stuffed with gold. So you have to sell wolf heads and rhino bungs to the poor girl selling vegitables out of the back of her truck to make money.

But of course you might need some of it, so don't sell all of them
(seriously don't, I think I've done that once or twice and had to farm again for something quest related)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

FeyerbrandX posted:

Aside from quests/hunts, this game is again with the ~~~REALISM~~~ in gaming where wolves aren't stuffed with gold. So you have to sell wolf heads and rhino bungs to the poor girl selling vegitables out of the back of her truck to make money.

But of course you might need some of it, so don't sell all of them
(seriously don't, I think I've done that once or twice and had to farm again for something quest related)

Bummer. I was hoping there might be a small spot somewhere where the enemies drop something useless but high-value.

Nice reference to the forest wolves outside of Karnak though!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think its fine just as long as you leave one of each. Not like Xenoblade where you might need 12 of some arbitrary thing 12 hours after you've left the zone.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think that you can save some money by camping at havens in the wilderness instead of the motels. Other than that, there are monster hunts, and maybe you can get money by repeating completed monster hunts?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Other than that, there are monster hunts, and maybe you can get money by repeating completed monster hunts?

Yes, the cash rewards are still there for repeated hunts, the item rewards are one time only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

I did appreciate the way that dungeon slowly built the tension up by having a whole lot of nothing at the start, that was well done.

The dungeons are really good in this game in general. Really atmospheric and a good escalation over time.

Koobes posted:

Episode #5 Making our way down to the beach, and learning to fish.

You forgot to link this one in the OP

Also, if you can, find a fishing spot with lots of small fish and it's a good way to get ap in a less brainless way than some of the other methods.

E: you have to unlock a skill for I think 20ish ap to get ap from fish

Zarin posted:

Great to hear!

As for the commentary, that's all Koobes and his magic. He's had to say " . . . and that crossed a line. I'm going to have to cut that. Can you not?" and I'm like :v:

For anyone in the thread: is there a good way to farm gil? It seems that several times we've come up pretty short on cash and had to run around trying to sell stuff we otherwise might not want to just to get a room for the night. I get there's an argument that could be made regarding ~*~*~*Narrative Immersion*~*~*~ and having to scrape by and make hard decisions at the vendors and so on, but ... eh. I've never been keen on financial management in games. (No, not even Monopoly :colbert:)

Hunts are your best source of cash until you g et the ability that allows you to get 2 fish butts per fish or increased drop rate on killed enemies. Be careful selling items. Some of them are really good spell catalysts even tho not worth much cash wise.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think its fine just as long as you leave one of each. Not like Xenoblade where you might need 12 of some arbitrary thing 12 hours after you've left the zone.

Keep a bunch of potions, antidotes and repair kits

• Locked thread