Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
I'd like to just generally hear a little about the profession, but specifically I want to know if there is an increase of babies being born that don't have a clear gender (male/female) and what happens if this is the case. I'm not sure what the scientifically correct word for this is (transgender?) but I remember hearing a doctor on NPR mention this in a segment that was otherwise about something else; he mentioned how it is increasingly common in America. I'm having trouble finding any information about this online. Sorry if I'm not using the proper terminology.

Anybody here work in this field and know what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
The term is intersex, and while I don't have any stats or figures, I'd put my money on it being recognised more, rather than a huge spike in occurrence. As to what happens, it largely depends on why they're intersex (there are a huge number of conditions that can make someone intersex, and it can be a bit of a spectrum to what degree they are and what the effects and implications are), where they're born, and the wishes of the parents.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
If you want to talk to doctors, go to the forum for doctors/medical stuff: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=183

• Locked thread