Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
:siren:Latest video(s):siren: Last Round/Polsy

What?
Enter The Gungeon is a roguelike that came out around April 2016 and it's a lot of fun. There's about 200 guns and 200 items, and most of them are puns on guns. It's an odd mix of bullet hell and dungeon crawler that offers a lot of replay value. I'm 150 hours in and I'm still not over it. There's some free DLC coming out SOON(tm) called the Supply Drop update but they've been saying "fall" since the end of fall soooo. At some point I'll be seeing new things too! and it's pretty cool.

Why?
The game is a bit difficult and I've seen rumblings here and there on folks looking for something that may be more informational, or help them with their Gungeon aspirations. My goal with this will be hopefully to help people get good! To that end, commentary is going to be largely informative stream of consciousness over the course of a fresh playthrough. That being said, if there's something going on that you're not sure about or need explained or want to figure out how/why I'm doing something, ask away! It will be addressed!

How?
I've usually got a pretty good update schedule but a full run will usually take around an hour, so each video will likely be about that long. It's a bit more time intensive as far as audio editing and I've got more social obligations than usual so I'M GONNA BE BUSY. I'd expect at least two videos a week, ideally. I'll be going through all of the characters and getting to secret stuff as it arises. And it will! After I do the four basic characters I might start a vote to show which character people want to see run next? Also I really have no idea of when I'll call this LP "finished" so we'll just be playing that by ear.

Videos!
A Brief Tutorial/Polsy
The First Run/Polsy
The Marine/Polsy
The Convict/Polsy
The Pilot/Polsy
The Hunter's Past/Polsy
The Convict's Past/Polsy
The Marine's Past/Polsy
One Floor Deeper/Polsy
A Very Active (Item) Run/Polsy
The Spicy Run/Polsy
Cut Short/Polsy
Curse This!/Polsy
Two Secrets of the Gungeon/Polsy
A Bullet and a Junk Walk Into A Bar.../Polsy
Rusty/Polsy
The Robot Mk3/Polsy
Totally Rad Run/Polsy
Shortcuts/Polsy
Jammed/Polsy
More Shortcuts!/Polsy
Mighty Casey Has Struck Out/Polsy
Gunnel Vision/Polsy
Gun Game/Polsy
Hardcore Mod/Polsy
Challenge Mode/Polsy
Klobberin' Time/Polsy
Boss Rush/Polsy
Last Round/Polsy

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Item profiles never wound up happening, go check the wiki.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 22, 2017

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I can definitely see how not having a lot of ammo drops could hurt you but I feel like a big part of the gun is using the guns you have, not the ones you want. There's some really lousy guns in the game but most anything is better than your starting pistol, and some weapons are actually really good for room clearing even if they are low quality or otherwise terrible. There's a few exceptions I'm sure we'll get to that are just absolutely lousy up and down. Like the pea shooter. Other guns can be situationally useful depending on whether they have active synergies or what passive you may have, the next run has a pair of rifles that do LOTS OF DAMAGE with a certain passive item. I'll even defend the T-shirt cannon, if you are in a room with bottomless pits the T-shirt cannon provides a lot of knockback. Sending ground enemies into the deeps is an easy guaranteed kill.

Speaking of the next run, I recorded it last night and I'm working on editing now. Might be some background notification noises and a rough cut due to a phone call but SOON.

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think you noticed it (which I don't blame you since not many people would), but the Composite Gun looks to be the plastic pistol used by John Malkovich in In The Line of Fire.

I didn't recognize it but I can guarantee you that is the inspiration for that gun. There's quite a few guns that will have references to movies or other things and I hope to point them out when I see them. And yes, the gun puns are only just beginning.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 19, 2016

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Did my first attempt last night. I was lucky enough to land a Charge Shot (which is almost overpowered for the first floor and shoots a giant plasma bolt that goes through enemies and bounces off walls so it clears out most of a room) in the very first chest I opened and only took two hits during the entire floor, both against the boss.

Then on the second floor I died within a few rooms.

It's a testament to Scruffy's ability to do as well as he does. I can't wrap my brain around simultaneously making hits and dodging bullets.

I'm interested to hear how you make out continuing onwards. What killed you on the second floor? I'm assuming you entered with two full hearts.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I've said it before but ill go a bit more in depth:
There arent any ways to game the system as you can do in other roguelikes/lites.
The RNG is the only determinant in what you get and you cant influence which of the (very large) drop pools you get much like you can in isaac.
You are guaranteed a shop (with very variable inventory and no private item pool), two chests, and nothing else.
A flawless run is rewarded with only extra health, but not a chance at better items.
Secret rooms dont follow solid rules and usually arent worth the already uncommon and highly valuable resource, a blank, required.

What im saying is every roguelite by design should have ways to circumvent RNG, and gungeon has no such methods baked in.

I feel like that's a pretty fair commentary. I can't think of too many things that allow you to get around RNG in this game. You usually have a pretty good idea of what you'll get out of a chest quality-wise, but there's only so many chests you can get. A lot of this game revolves around...well, git gud or die, for lack of better phrasing. The only reward for playing well is either more casings for clearing rooms or more health in the case of bosses. It's entirely up to skill or muscle memory or reaction time as to whether or not you can make it to lower floors.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
This video took a lot longer to edit than I expected and I apologize. Had a bit of technical fuckery and other issues and lack of free time. But here it is!

The Marine/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Nalesh posted:

Potion of lead skin blocks fall damage if I remember right, like you still get respawned, you just don't take damage. But yeah there's not much that can replace double vision, pretty much the best item imo.

There's one active item I think is top of the list, and you can get it from a brown chest, but we'll discuss it when it comes up :v:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Cooked Auto posted:

Unless it only happened to me for some reason there is some really noticeable chugging towards the 45 minute point of the video and intermediately onwards.
But it seemed to sort itself out after that unfortunate skype call.

That's the technical difficulties I thought I encountered. For me it was on the Windows Media Player end but I thought maybe it was just my computer chugging along. I guess it's only about three minutes but maybe it's acceptable. I still feel bad for it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the delay on new episodes. I've been going through the holidays and business and other issues and the absolute loving worst ~relationship drama~. This LP isn't on hiatus but I've got to get myself in the right mindset and I'm not there.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Valgaav posted:

Wish I'd seen this before! Gungeon is a Good Game, though I only know it from a friend of mine streaming it. It could just bet hat he's good at it.

For what I'd recommend, it's far too late now, but I like what Psychedelic Eyeball did with Spelunky. He'd deal with an area in a video, and then "happen to" die in an amusing or demonstrative way in the next one, where it really showed how hard the game can be and how easy it is to get owned if you drop your guard for a second. The next video, he'd progress through that area, only to "coincidentally" die in the next one, thus gradually exploring the different floors and options the game presents while also giving a chance to show how difficult it could be.

I had a game yesterday where I died on the second floor, so it still happens :v:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Uggggh this year is the absolute loving worst. On the bright side my relationship issues are over, on the downside that is because I am now single. Merry loving Christmas.

Here's a video!

The Convict/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Tarezax posted:

In most games with piercing projectiles explosive projectiles instead explode on every target they come into contact with. Imagine how awesome that would be...

Unfortunately this isn't one of those games :v: both bouncy bullets and ghost bullets can really screw up some weapons that rely on contact to work.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Doseku posted:

Do you plan to show what happens when you shoot up the store? Also did you know you can fall down the elevator shaft once the bullet elevator drops you off on a floor?

I wasn't really planning on shooting up the store but I'm sure it'll happen at some point. I'm holding off on the elevator shaft for a while, because reasons.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Or is it Sputnik posted:

The G(un M)ummy raises a jammed that will run at you but I don't think you get casings from the jammed?

The jammed actually give you more casings but that one probably doesn't drop any because it'd be too easily farmable otherwise.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

SkyTalon2314 posted:

With the knowledge that the only way I can get more HP is to not get hit in bosses, it makes it incredibly demoralizing to get hit by an errant attack during some of the more technical bosses. I've even just flat-out ended a run because I got hit on the first boss because I'm not at the skill level where I can breeze through the second floor, and not having that extra two hits because of a slight miscalculation is crushing.

Yo! I got a piece of advice that hopefully this video will serve to illuminate!

Never give up! I was incredibly close to death in this video but managed to come back from the brink. I still have runs where I die on the second floor. But don't just quit on the boss because you got a hit! It sounds like really terrible advice but every time you die or make it to the next floor, that is learning. I still get hit by bosses like all the time, but every time you beat a boss you learn that pattern a little better. Every time you see new enemies, you get to learn that crap. And taking multiple hits because you didn't have enough invincibility frames is INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING and something I deal with in this video!

The Pilot/Polsy

After you've watched the video...

Who's next to kill the past? Vote now! I guess this vote will end in a day or two or WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

Out of curiosity, have you really gotten a full clear on each of your first four games, or is there editing magic and copied savefiles? Also you've gotten a good boss variety in just four runs, are they coded to shuffle or just luck?

I had an issue at the start of the Pilot's first run where the water barrel got stuck on a wall on the first floor, which I didn't think was a thing that could happen. So I restarted that run, and that's why this one was take two. Otherwise I have done no restarts or clever editing! A way to check if I've died is on the page at the end of the video, under the "You Won!" text in the book there's a skull icon. That number goes up as you die! I think my main file is currently at 80 deaths.

I'd say the boss shuffling is luck, each floor has three possible bosses except for the third floor which currently has two. It will get three in the Supply Drop update! There's also a fairly rare spawn that can be the boss on any given floor.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 2, 2017

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Valgaav posted:

Any chance of seeing a Wallmonger fight without you cheesing it with fire immunity? That's been a real roadblock.

I'm sure I'll run into it a few more times, I will almost definitely not have fire immunity next time. The trick for Wallmonger without fire immunity during that phase is to either run through the fire and roll it out or to roll through the giant wall of bullets. Both are entirely possible! Also contrary to what Samovar says, I think Kill Pillars are the easiest floor 4 boss.

As far as the keys and brown chests, the reason I say that is that brown chests usually contain crap and it's not worth using a key on it. You may be REALLY HURTING for a gun but that gun could be the unfinished gun, or the mega douser. You can make use of it, sure, but something you will rarely have in a run is more keys than you need.

e: oh hey new avatar. Weeeeeird. Thanks, someone!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm going to go ahead and call the poll closed, the next Gungeoneer will be the Hunter. I'll probably record tomorrow, assuming I don't get overwhelmed by crippling depression!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news, I made a recording. Expect a video in the next day or two, whenever I finish editing! (it's not much editing but the encoding still takes a fair amount of time)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

pumpinglemma posted:

I sometimes use it for blue chests too if I only have one key left, just in case the shop on the next floor has a lock on it or something. It's also very useful if you're limited on keys for some reason, like needing to save up for the Prime Primer.

Another reason I'd find the lockpicks fairly useful is for unlocking shortcuts. We haven't unlocked the guy that builds them yet, but he usually wants a lot of casings and a lot of keys to build his shortcuts. And in one case he wants a lot of junk, which you can only get by destroying chests.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's time for THE HUNTER'S PAST awww yeah.

The Hunter's Past/Polsy

Also! Vote! Vote for the next past to be killed! Remember what the Gungeon says, voting is cool!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Green Intern posted:

I've been getting back into this game since the Supply Drop patch hit the beta branch, so I'm real glad to see this LP. I am so so bad at this game.

I haven't touched the beta at all, I only know a few of the drops and some of the new enemies. I am looking forward to seeing all new things when I hit them in the LP.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

Also, I always love when you have those close calls that make you do the little high pitched giggle.

It's one of the benefits of me doing live commentary, I tend to nervously giggle when I'm in dire straits. See: pretty much the entire The Evil Within playthrough.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, I got such a kick of nostalgia from the Wolfenstein boss, though I don't get why he wasn't Mecha-Mussolini or Monster of the WereMag or something or what it has to do with the hunter.

I'm curious, do you always do live? Do you ever think of doing post? I'd think a game that requires a lot of attention would be kinda ideal for post.

I'm recording the episodes for the LP as it goes along, but no, I don't always live. I just had a run today on my main file that ended like this!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Sjs00 posted:

At 14:09 scruffy changes weapons and enters 'bullettime' slomo while the weapon wheel is open; why does that happen? It's never happened for me afaik

It should happen every time you open the weapon wheel, it was probably just more apparent since I was in the middle of VIOLENCE.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news/bad news! I recorded the next video and it's the Convict. It was a pretty close vote for a while, I think it was 78-80 at one point? But it's done!

Bad news, I accidentally deleted the commentary. So I need to do that at some point.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

Scruffy, in the last video you started talking about using the tables for cover and why you don't do that and then got cut off by something else and unless I missed it completely, you didn't pick that thread back up. I know there's a lot going on between here and there, but do you recall what that was?

If you have a time stamp I might be able to elaborate, assuming I can pick the thought back up.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

vdate posted:

That is some Dwarf-Fortress-tier game-object-interaction right there. I really do like that they programmed that sort of thing in.

...can you still electrify ice?

I don't think so. They did think about the whole water+electricity thing though, there's a ~secret character~ whose starting gimmick is water and electricity.

I got a special guest who did co-commentary with me, so it should be up in the next few days!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Well that took a lot longer than it should have. Hot tip if you're doing live commentary: don't delete it and then commentate with another person who also deletes it.

The Convict's Past/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

So uh, when you got the second piece of trash, did it make the garbage cannon even stronger? Cause uh, you never tried it out again.

kalonZombie posted:

An inside source tells me the other guy asked this and the answer is no, only one piece of scrap makes a difference.

It did come up when kalon was commentating :v:

Most explicit gun synergies will only activate once, you can tell when something is synergizing because when you pick it up you'll see an arrow briefly flash over your head. Only one piece of junk will affect the Trashcannon and give it +25% damage, otherwise I could see it being a much better weapon.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Another run down! Vote for the next person! All the pasts are dead (for now?!) but there's still a lot more to show off.

The Marine's Past/Polsy

Who's next to ENTER THE GUNGEON?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

White Coke posted:

I just want to see some co-op.
The co-op is local only and I have no friends :( at least no friends who can Gungeon.

White Coke posted:

Got this game recently because of the LP and the first time I died was because I misjudged the distance across a pit and fell to my death. In a secret room no less.

And is it possible for enemies you fight in the past to be jammed?

I don't think so, that'd be awful rude. I'm pretty sure that when you enter the past it sort of wipes out your status effects, you always have three hearts, your starting passive, two blanks, and that's it.

The Supply Drop should be adding pasts for ~secret characters~ which could be neat! I'm interested to see it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
For gee whiz, i plan on doing a normal "full run", and also doing a cursed run. If I happen to hit 10 curse over the course of the cursed run, well...I'll try and deal with it! I've done one successful cursed run but I've had a lot of failures so it's totally an option. Never done it with 10, but I'll take it as it comes. I will also consider "overcursed" as a challenge run and probably fail, but I'm liking the use a gun until it runs out of ammo. It'll be good!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Bellmaker posted:

Is an "all-secret areas" run possible? The first one obviously needs 2 keys, not sure about the rest of course.

It's totally possible! The second secret area is reliant on reaching the first secret area. I will probably try and show it off in the next video, and probably fail because it's actually really hard to reach the second secret area for various reasons.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Dominicius posted:

Yea I know it's not a real challenge but seeing you completely ignoring the Ammonomicron makes me sad.

I've been meaning to put all the stuff I unlock in the second post!

I've just been busy. I'll think up something. Or get around to it.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Olpainless posted:

Hahahaha oh god this update gets more amazing. Is it kosher to discuss spoilers here?

Everyone's going to have a different experience, so unless it relates to floors that haven't come up yet or pasts that need to be killed or secret characters I don't know about (I've exhausted the base game and haven't touched supply drop yet), go for it!

If it does relate to those things, I'd say go to the Games Gungeon thread for now.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Here's the last pre-supply drop update, featuring the Hunter! Also there's a lot of dead space between 9 minutes and 13 minutes, feel free to skip it.

One Floor Deeper/Polsy

Next update will be...SUPPLY DROP'D.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

Huh, can you still do the Pasts once you've unlocked the sixth chamber or does it always drag you down to bullet hell?

You can still do the pasts once you unlock the sixth chamber! You just have to walk around the gaping hole in the floor that will drag you down the hell.

Spudd posted:

Those were interesting noises you made at certain times.

It's a feature of my live commentary :v:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've died twice to Wallmonger in the two Supply Drop runs I've done, one was a normal run and the other was a challenge run. This is gonna be magical.

e: also some youtube dude is calling me a douchebag for dunking on the molotov launcher. :siren:THE MOLOTOV LAUNCHER IS loving GARBAGE.:siren:

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 28, 2017

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Hearing all these success(?) stories makes me feel like I've really accomplished something here :allears:

I've got the video and audio recorded for the next video, just need to find time to chop together the audio. It should be up in the next day or so! It's a real nailbiter of an episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's a real humdinger of a run folks!

A Very Active (Item) Run/Polsy

• Locked thread