Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Jade Star posted:

I was not ready for the amount of gun puns in this game.

I get the feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

I feel like that's a pretty fair commentary. I can't think of too many things that allow you to get around RNG in this game. You usually have a pretty good idea of what you'll get out of a chest quality-wise, but there's only so many chests you can get. A lot of this game revolves around...well, git gud or die, for lack of better phrasing. The only reward for playing well is either more casings for clearing rooms or more health in the case of bosses. It's entirely up to skill or muscle memory or reaction time as to whether or not you can make it to lower floors.

I feel like this, especially the last part, is exactly WHY there isn't as much (or any) way to game the RNG as there is in usual roguelikes (or roguelites) - because it's possible through dint of skill to avoid all damage, full stop. That being the case, there's a lot less need to obviate RNG fuckery. (Practically speaking most players would probably appreciate it, of course, but for a game whose central mechanic is subject to mastery in the way that 'dodge bullets and shoot stuff' is, I can't really fault it for NOT doing that.) Without having played the game it seems like a nice compromise would be to have the muncher in every shop, no exceptions, so that if you don't like the random crap you got, you can at least trade it in for something else.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

JEBOman posted:

Except that would make the muncher a newbie trap. Each time you use it, you decrease your maximum ammo pool. So by trying to get better equipment (even only a few times), you can make your run unwinnable.

- Without having played the game myself.

I hadn't really considered this, and it's a fair point.

Sloober posted:

I don't know, there's some really good stuff out of brown chests, and really bad stuff out of higher ones. So it's not really internally consistent regarding the actual relative power of items in chests. I haven't played in a while but there was a bunch of stuff that was just not any good despite being out of the higher chest levels. Also for real what killed my interest in playing was the aforementioned enemy sponge factor. It wants to be a quick high intensity game but it counters it with spongey as gently caress stuff, and half the time i just get boss fatigue while fighting them and get careless. They could slash the spongey stuff's health by half and the game would just get better.

I can agree that bullet-spongey bosses are just a pain. Once you've got them down it just becomes tedious, and boss fatigue is kind of a lame way to force people to master the thing. dscruffy made most of them look not over-long, but I guess he also had some boss-killers and also is real good at the game.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
That is some Dwarf-Fortress-tier game-object-interaction right there. I really do like that they programmed that sort of thing in.

...can you still electrify ice?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I watched the health bars there and it looked like you were one shot from victory. That was heartbreaking.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

Look, Mr. June, I know the Darkest Dungeon LP just finished, but you can't just jump into any game unnanounced.

Dammit, you beat me to the punch!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Wow, Gunslinger's Ashes with Electric Bullets is pretty dang nifty! Having the projectiles persist where you place them so you can just make like an electric spider is pretty rad. Are there any other guns in the game with a similar effect?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Man, Casey is absurd. Obviously not a good boss-clearer, but an infinite-ammo Room Clearer Of Doom (that can reflect bullets) is by no means bad! If only you had a way to drop enemy aggro on command so you could walk up to them with impunity! (I love that you figured out how to make the Blank companion do his thing at literally the last possible moment when it could still be useful.)

That said, holy gently caress does Super Meat Gun ever do a number on the Mine Flayer. It looked like he got to stay in his bells phase for all of about two seconds.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

Another challenge/fun run for you:

Gungeoneye64: Use only weapons from Goldeneye 64 (passive pick ups are fine). give yourself the AUgun, Winchester, M4, Sawed off, and the Mooraker weapon.

Don't forget the Klobb!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Agreed, Zebrin. In my case I discovered that all it took to take the Flare Gun from 'pointless' to 'decent room-clearer' was the Oiled Cylinder, since it effectively cuts the refire rate to that of a slowish semiautomatic weapon in exchange for having no reload time of any kind (because that's what the 'refire rate' actually is).

Also, I gotta jump on the 'this LP helped me git gud' bandwagon myself, Scruffy, since either the game's item generation got a lot nicer or I've gone from 'cannot consistently get to floor 2' to 'can semi-consistently get to floor 4' by applying what I've learned here.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I would amend that to either let him keep the guns he gets from bosses or whatever he could buy from the shop because room clearing weapons may not make for decent boss clearing ones.

Kind of the point of the six passives and three guns thing! That should give him enough variety and synergy to have at least one of each category.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Gotta say, your increasingly frantic vocalization of dismay was top-shelf during this episode. But hey, at least it got you to reconsider Corsair! (Although in fairness I think some of the damage you believed it to be doing may have been coming from Ser Junkan, because I was watching him during the episode and he was doing some serious work. It does seem like Don't Blink was nearly beneficial or beneficial a lot of the time on this run since you had two decent indirect fire weapons (being Ser Junkan and the Corsair).

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I don't believe positive modifiers are implemented yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Thanks for all the videos, Scruffy! I credit you for moving me from 'Can't get out of the Keep of the Lead Lord' tier to 'Sometimes even gets to the Forge' tier! I'm...not actually sure how - perhaps I just picked up some sweet movement tech via diffusion or some such - but I know that I wouldn't be as good at the game (hell, I wouldn't be playing the game) without your lovely introduction to it.

Thank you again!

• Locked thread