Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ooh, this game. I have a love-hate relationship with it. It's tough but fair MOST TIMES, but then there are just some parts of the game, some parts that are just... well, maybe I've never seen the strategy for beating them, but they just seem undoable.

I also am putting this together one side until the DLC. I thought it was supposed to be in the fall of '16, but I guess it was delayed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

White Coke posted:

Was that pun intentional or an accidental discharge?

Oh come on, you went in there half-cocked. You don't want to be a flash in the pan, do you?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, we all know they'll be of a poor caliber.

In all seriousness, with the first video, I'll bring up my major gripes with this game:

1) Bosses are damage sponges.

Bosses are supposed to be tough. Well and good. But I think that the bastards in this game could have maybe 4/5 or 3/4 health, especially at the deeper dungeons, because you inevitably have gone through so much ammo (which you can't properly manage, because RNG dictates when you get drops). As it stands, you can be left with nowt but bad language against the big bads, and that simply isn't fun, just a slog.

2) Some bosses are unfair.

You encountered two of the least 'fair' bosses in this game (there's one more, but you didn't see them), specifically the Ammoconda and the High Priest. Why are they unfair? They have attacks that are not telegraphed; the former has lines of bullets that resemble the old snake game. These snakes can turn at 90 degree angles without warning, so a dodge that should take the player to safety can lead to damage. The second has single summoned bullets that come out of nowhere and follow a sine pattern. There's no indication where and when they come, you always need to look out, and they can be summoned on top of you. Considering that you need to take NO damage to get the master rounds, these moves are just unfair. Or so I feel.

As to the fire hand, I think you can fire it quicker by tapping the fire button. That might make it slightly better.

Also, I'd disagree with the brown chest/key decision on one condition. If the second chest has a gun, it can be worth it to crack the brown chest, the items are still usually good, certainly much better than the guns.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, besides from one Ammolet type, the chances of getting enough blanks to make Ammolet useful at all is... really low.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sloober posted:

Ammo boxes can be extremely rare so munching your empty guns up can be one of the few sources of ammo you get (even if it is in a brand new gun)

Yeah, there are some guns that are so useless it's almost better to munch them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, now you encountered the last 'unfair' boss - the Cannonballrog. Not because of the phase out move, that's actually easily dealt with by staying in the middle of the room. No, his move that sends bullets out in a random pattern can be triggered immediately. Since you start at either the top of the bottom of his boss room, it's a complete dice roll if you'll eat a bullet or not.

Also, I think the bullet-gundead will automatically fire upon any barrel that rolls, it's a good way to direct them away from you. Also, the red mages can only catch a certain number of bullets. You can drown them in lead.

You are missing out on a secret, BTW. Next time you get a table in a room with pits, kick it in. You'll get a surprise!

You picked up the Soaker to get to the Planar Lead. You don't need it, or indeed any 'trail' weapon to get the path. With any gungoneer (bar the Pilot) can use the casings from their starting guns to find the path; just like Hansel and Gretel.

The Courtier of the Lead King can just be kicked. I find that more satisfying. I was also surprised that you didn't show what the Hexagun can do to the Reaper.

Finally, you know you can just teleport out of the special item rooms, Scruffy.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 22, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Vorpal Cat posted:

One fun thing about the Hexagun that wasn't mentioned in the video, if you read the description its literally a sniper rifle that uses magic wands as ammo, draining them in a single shot. Which is why it can instantly kill things by turning them into chickens.

Actually, the chicken thing doesn't kill the enemies (or rather, doesn't damage them) and that's why it can be such a great weapon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What everyone has said. Homefront first, internet is secondary to all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sorry the suckiness of this year hits on a personal level to boot Scruffs.

I too find the Convict to be the weakest character. What makes her a bit more irritating is the fact that she's the best character to kill the past first out to of all the other candidates.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

Piercing bullets seem really good from an ammo efficiency standpoint alone.

It can, however, reduce some guns to complete ineffectivity. Like those who are dependent on registering a hit to explode.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

senrath posted:

Yeah, I've ditched ghost bullets at least once because I got a gun that it completely messed with. Thankfully you can ditch items you don't want anymore, unlike in Isaac where you're stuck with every passive you pick up.

There is, however, one great gun that becomes nigh unstoppable with the ghost bullets.

Don't wanna talk about it since we've not seen it, tho.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

I think Gorgun is fairly easy to clear damageless with the basic gun. Beholster is a lot harder but still sometimes doable, and Ammoconda is pretty much impossible because you don't have enough damage output to kill the pellets.

I'd go as far as saying the Gorgun is the easiest boss in the game, closed closely by the Blobulorn. All her attacks follow a predictable pattern, while the latter has only one random spam which is pretty easy to dodge.

Next run, for usefulness of special item drop, should be Convict. Especially since you can sell it to the Store Creep and lose nothing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Valgaav posted:

The Warp? If we didn't know they played 40k before...

Any chance of seeing a Wallmonger fight without you cheesing it with fire immunity? That's been a real roadblock.

Really? I'd say it is the easiest of the Hollow. You can dodge through all its attacks and they follow a pretty distinct pattern.

Edit: Sorry, in retrospect that sounds really elitist. What do you find hard about it?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Agent355 posted:

And while I'm sure this is not an opinion many people share after playing gungeon I have no more desire to play BoI. If I want to play a randomly generated run around and explore/shoot things I'm going to play gungeon. Sure they are very different in alot of ways but at the end of the day I'd rather never feel pressured to reset on the first floor and not experience that absolutely insanity inducing slog that late game isaac becomes if you haven't found anything good.

Definitely true for me. The teleporters help with that immensely.

It's odd, really. Of all the guns that are in this game, they didn't include the fleshgun from eXistenZ, which I thought would be damned high on the list.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

If yer having difficulty on subjects to talk on, perhaps guest commentators?

Edit: Daedalus was the father, Icarus was the doomed son.

Edit edit: Can you get more than one secret room?

Edit edit edit: a nice touch about the split-shot bulletkin; when they die, they split apart, like a dum-dum.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 6, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hang on, doesn't double-action mean that the recoil of the powder exploding push the hammer of the gun back? So you can fire without having to pull it back manually, like with an SAAC?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 6, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Nalesh posted:

Also that armor knight with a cannon instead of a sword is decently new too right? Don't recall him either.

He's always been there as long as I've played.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

White Coke posted:

Space Justice.

No. Time Justice.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Skippy Granola posted:

Why is gatling gull so hard? I have a real mental block with that guy.

Sheesh, anyway thanks to your tutelage I made it to floor 5 a couple times after beating the wallmonger with some ridiculous top tier weapon. Go me!

Game's still no joke though. Pucker factor is constantly high

I find the best way to deal with him is stay as far as you can, while roll dodging as little as possible - so, usually take him around the edges of the room. Only a couple of shots go where you are going, every other shot goes where you've been. Roll dodge too much and too many shots get drawn onto you when you are recovering.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, thank heavens that's over with. I would consider the Convict to be the worst gungoneer by far - even tho she's the coolest of the bunch.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I feel the need to say this - the repair man's request s become stupidly unfair the lower you go.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Do you get something special if the cop survives to the end of the game?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Buller posted:

Lmao if your testosteron is so low you can see this colour difference.

???

??!?!??!!???!????

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I've never heard that. Is there a paper that discusses that?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Teledahn posted:

I should note; I would hardly wish for my post to be taken as undeniable inviolate irrefutable truth, merely amusingly wrong just enough to be informative. Also amusing. We like that here.

You may like things amusing, but I demand everything should be as unfunny as possible.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Bad attempt at a joke on my end.

^^^ Hey, genetics is an incredibly interesting subject. That's why I have an MSci in it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Lazy Bear posted:

Wow, jeez. All this from my comment about finding secret walls without shooting them! ... And the comment immediately following. I suppose I should mention that the difference between normal and secret walls is actually decently easy to see when you put one beside the other. I'll see if I can't do a screen grab next time I find a secret wall.

I would also be very interested in this.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Skippy Granola posted:

That IS a slightly different shade of blue!

O no my testosterone :smith:

I can see it, too. But what about the 4th chamber?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

I managed to get past the first floor on my first run, which honestly surprised me. Wound up with the Void Shotgun and the Lil' Bomber, which was interesting but unwieldy.

Then I had to turn the game off because I'm a working adult and can't stay up until 12 o'clock in the morning playing videogames like I could when I was twenty. :negative:

(The game was being pretty generous with ammo drops. Don't know if that's the Supply Drop update in effect, or if I was just lucky...)

At least you can save between levels now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

For Winchester, I think you only ever need to shoot bullets at a 90 or 45 degree angle.

Edit: Also, any time you see a shrine room that has a path leading off to a place with no door? That's a secret room.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh yeah. The Hegemony Credits? You don't need to pick 'em up. They'll go to you automatically if you leave the room.

Edit: Ah, you got the Scrambler. THAT'S the ultimate combo with Ghost Bullets. It's practically perfect.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 27, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Here's a simple one; Jammed run.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I think it must be down to brightness.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

An interesting... bug? I guess? You can go to the 6th chamber before doing the past of the bonus characters.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You can get more than none secret room per floor?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Elfface posted:

I've managed to deliver my second Bullet component - The one from the icy abyss. No more will I have to repeatedly fire my starter gun and watch where the shell casings land to figure out the invisible floor.

Also, it may be a Rank D, but I really like the sling. Especially after duct taping a banana to it.

The sling by itself is great for floor 1 & 2 bosses. Upgraded, it can be great for the others, too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Good grief, you can avoid being petrified by Meduzi by simply looking away when she uses the gaze attack. That's cute.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Finally managed it, with one last past to unlock, I got all 5 Master Rounds. Sweet release.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm going to say this straight up; but not go into too much detail because it hasn't actually been shown off - I despise the second special level. Not just for its hardness, but for the fact that it unlocks an item that I think is the worst item in the whole game. I am honestly of the opinion that even if you get it for nothing, you shouldn't pick that item up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Doggone it, Doug's name has a gun pun in it.

• Locked thread