Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm enjoying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Ive heard its short so I may rent it and thon it this weekend.

like 9-11 hours maybe?

i feel like im near the end but don't know for sure, and I'm at 10

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm reinstalling Resi 4 since I've been seeing the words Resident Evil floating around a bunch and I need a hit

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i played the demo and its to scary for me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's pretty impressive that this is only my second time through this game and every time I enter a new room I remember exactly what's going to happen in it

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Me during the entire ending sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm streaming RE4 for laughs https://www.twitch.tv/in_training

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

finished in 10:27 and it genuinely stands up with remake and 4 as the best survival horror games ever

also theres a teaser after the credits for something coming out soon that sounds insanely crazy

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sharkopath posted:

finished in 10:27 and it genuinely stands up with remake and 4 as the best survival horror games ever

also theres a teaser after the credits for something coming out soon that sounds insanely crazy

i might rent this next week

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm a big resident evil fan and i can understand taking this with a grain of salt but this is absolutely the best resident evil since 4. It's as fun to play as REmake and it's pretty tense. It totally nails its atmosphere too. It's so good really try to play it if you were interested at all.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
out of curiosity, does it fit into the main game storyline at all?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sector_corrector posted:

I haven't played yet but from what I've read yes it does but it's pretty loose . basically it's a fine entry point for people who don't know about the series but it's also got enough continuity so that it's not exactly a "reboot"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sector_corrector posted:

it does take place after six, and one of Wesker's notes in the previous game mentions the protagonist of seven. It does but the way it does is pretty cool and all the way at the end of the game.

yeah it's really focused on itself and building up its own characters. To the point of almost a fault, the game doesn't even start with that really sick resident evil voice clip. Honestly if you popped this disc in without knowing what it was at all you wouldn't even realize it was a named resident evil game until you started solving door puzzles lol, I think the first time I even saw any of the other game's mentioned was like 5 or 6 hours in when I found an article on Raccoon City.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 26, 2017

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frank.club posted:

it does take place after six, and one of Wesker's notes in the previous game mentions the protagonist of seven. It does but the way it does is pretty cool and all the way at the end of the game.

yeah it's really focused on itself and building up its own characters. To the point of almost a fault, the game doesn't even start with that really sick resident evil voice clip. Honestly if you popped this disc in without knowing what it was at all you wouldn't even realize it was a named resident evil game until you started solving door puzzles lol, I think the first time I even saw any of the other game's mentioned was like 5 or 6 hours in when I found an article on Raccoon City.

you can find a news article written by a character from outbreak earlier, they're pretty much all subtle references

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They don't even say Resident. Evilllll.???

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

They don't even say Resident. Evilllll.???

i'm afraid not

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow that is a cool post credits tease, the kind that promises free content too. Overall I really thought it was exceptional except for in monster verity. There are obvious subsections of bad guys and they behave differently based on how they're damaged but it's not really enough. The game does have some really memorable boss fights though. One of the best re's for sure

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Oh wow that is a cool post credits tease, the kind that promises free content too.

That's probably content for the season pass lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

devtesla posted:

It's not, it's a free update apparently.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

devtesla posted:

It used the word free content lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Getting a strong Bray Wyatt feel from Jack

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

It used the word free content lol

Oh that owns then.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow so on top of adding the cassette tape save mechanic the hardest difficulty also changes up enemy spawns and behavior.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That was a lot of fun. The little scuttling bastards killed me way more than any other enemy

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NickRoweFillea posted:

That was a lot of fun. The little scuttling bastards killed me way more than any other enemy

Those things are no loving joke on madhouse. They can two hit kill you

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

frank.club posted:

Those things are no loving joke on madhouse. They can two hit kill you

I hate them. I'm setting the game down for the evening, but I do have a postgame question.

Does the Albert gun use handgun bullets?

Also browsing through the trophies. Some of these seem pretty tough!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NickRoweFillea posted:

I hate them. I'm setting the game down for the evening, but I do have a postgame question.

Does the Albert gun use handgun bullets?

Also browsing through the trophies. Some of these seem pretty tough!

It sure does lol. I haven't tried it with upgraded rounds yet, I'm sure it's nasty

The trade off is that it has a three round mag, it's useless on madhouse for molded

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

frank.club posted:

It sure does lol. I haven't tried it with upgraded rounds yet, I'm sure it's nasty

The trade off is that it has a three round mag, it's useless on madhouse for molded

Very cool. Madhouse seems like you'd have to get every postgame unlock to have a chance.

WHERE'S LUCAS

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Can I play hard mode on the 1st run

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Evil Eagle posted:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Evil Eagle posted:

I heard in a review that even tho it's possible it's not recommended because it remixes some story events/encounters and it's not gonna be as impactful if you do it your first time through. Sounds like it's more fun anyway to play through it with upgrades

edit: also i love that the even harder difficulty coming in a free update is called Ethan Must Die because that's my favorite naming scheme since Commander Keen

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

pretty scary how they use an evil little girl as the villain in this game. you don't usually see that.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yes.

goferchan posted:

I heard in a review that even tho it's possible it's not recommended because it remixes some story events/encounters and it's not gonna be as impactful if you do it your first time through. Sounds like it's more fun anyway to play through it with upgrades

edit: also i love that the even harder difficulty coming in a free update is called Ethan Must Die because that's my favorite naming scheme since Commander Keen

disappointing but ok. RE0 was way more fun on hard mode.

e: misread, thought you said it wasn't possible.

I'm going to start on hard mode.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 27, 2017

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Really enjoying it so far. The crazy family is the best part.

At first it didn't feel like a RE game and more like Outlast, but then I realized that the only reason it didn't was because it's first person. After that it's like visiting an old friend with a new look.

Videogames are the best!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

one thing im sad this game is missing compared to original resident evil is the two stories/protagonists idea. They never were major changes to how the story played out but it gave a benefit to replay and try the game with different challenges (or less for jill

i bet they nixed it because so many people just play a game once and are done with it though, and that kind of feature means a lot of work

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NickRoweFillea posted:

Very cool. Madhouse seems like you'd have to get every postgame unlock to have a chance.

WHERE'S LUCAS

Im thinking about doing that, a couple fights require nearly 100% head shot precision. On top of that there are more things to spend coins on earlier, like a permanent damage or defense boost and the scorpion key

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
A day removed from beating it and the one criticism I have of it is that it seems to me the first two thirds of the game had way more time spent on it than the last third. The baker estate is so well realized as a claustrophobic scary place

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

thats every game these days

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Very true, but it just really stuck out to me in this one. Maybe because I enjoyed exploring the house so much, everything that came after just kind of tapered off my excitement a little. Not that I'm saying it's bad in the slightest, I still truly enjoyed all of the game...just the beginning moreso than the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm looking forward to both the DLC and free content, which I think is one of the highest compliments you can pay to a game these days.

• Locked thread