Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

oh hey guess what it's time for a post morty about our game jam game we have all the points laid out chronologically sorta

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/status/824449107049734144

or you could watch a version posted by our manager

https://twitter.com/josefnpat/status/824444264469893122

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Change of plans, we're gonna stream the judging deliberations TODAY at 8pm CST instead of Friday since I'll be at PAX.

Reviews will still be published Friday night.

Watch at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

JonTerp posted:

Change of plans, we're gonna stream the judging deliberations TODAY at 8pm CST instead of Friday since I'll be at PAX.

Reviews will still be published Friday night.

Watch at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Like hearing Christmas is early this year! :woop:

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
So here are the scores for the predictions:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w6Fi01gVZRNTq4d9fhhMHfHhoqnHkbZCr6sC9XJdE_g/edit?usp=sharing

(Green highlight is a correct answer. There are also charts displaying the breakdown of each category if you all would like to see that)

Atoramos and Mo_Steel have 2 correct predictions but the winner with 4 is.... me?!! Uh... I guess that copy of Spy Fox in Dry Cereal is mine then. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to buy a bunch of lottery tickets.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Afal posted:

So here are the scores for the predictions:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w6Fi01gVZRNTq4d9fhhMHfHhoqnHkbZCr6sC9XJdE_g/edit?usp=sharing

(Green highlight is a correct answer. There are also charts displaying the breakdown of each category if you all would like to see that)

Atoramos and Mo_Steel have 2 correct predictions but the winner with 4 is.... me?!! Uh... I guess that copy of Spy Fox in Dry Cereal is mine then. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to buy a bunch of lottery tickets.

Rigged! :argh:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I decided to keep this more low-key for the simpler jam (well, that and health junk again), so here's my impressions of the games. This time I did firstly games that had a "finished" post randomly and then non-posted games that got a top pick, so if I didn't cover yours that is likely why! Post it and I'll get to it probably (unless it's a multiplayer game, still feel bad about that). Thanks once again developers and judges for another high quality jam!

Bodega Blast by Team Vegetable
Neat, a Supermarket Sweep "Big Sweep" simulator. I liked the tinny music and the ramps were a nice touch. Also the pixel art of the products, of course. Didn't quite get "panic" from it (maybe if it had checkpoints or zones to get to? Also, smashables would've been a neat addition!) and a bit too easy to get stuck but all in all a nice one to start with.

BOSS 900 by dog boi
Wow, a simulator in a very pure form. Overall it certainly wasn't what I expected, but lately I've been into TIS-100 lately so I dig it. I do think it needed a better tutorial on the intro about choosing start dates and end dates as it took me a few tries to get it (and it seemed to mess up if I kept changing it?). Also for a game like that I personally really need goals or at least a more personal critique.

ARACHNAFOE by 10 jams 50 jams a hundred jams
Looking at your credits and having played your games over multiple jams, I would understand if you might feel like you have a lot to live up to each jam (just go with me on this). Which must be hard in its own weird way. But... I don't think you have to worry this time! Really fun arena wave shooter with cool art and neat lighting and filters. It just oozes creepy and panicky, and I'm not even scared of spiders! If there's one negative, it's that it wasn't for a bigger jam (I would've liked some more weapons and maybe in a less arcadey package. But that's just my preference really as following your development I understand a lot was scrapped). My high score (487) I of course got my first time despite thinking I was getting more crafty at the game.

Fancy Feasts by Team Krell!!!
Another good sell from Krell. Funny little game, though I wanted to replay it without having to sit through the tutorial and narration again (I got an A, an A, a D, and an F). Simple but effective enough gameplay. It got a few laughs out of me and I enjoyed it!

Honeybee Havoc by SEXY LOCAL TEAM IN YOUR AREA
Oh yeah! I remember Super Turbo Voynich Manuscript from SAGDC X I believe. I honestly think the gameplay improved for this one from whatever the last one was, too. For whatever reason I thought this one was hilarious. Good job!

Fructidor by Tentacular Developments
Neat idea. I liked the slicing physics for the most part and the story fit the gameplay well. I did have a lot of trouble following it though, even with the How to Play section. I'd lose points for fruit I thought I needed and often would get the peasants stuck in the grate or right in front of the fruit dispenser where they'd just kill a run. I think I got to Wave 11 and am a little baffled how anyone beat it!

Panicats by Slyonics
Ooh, I really like the group behavior mechanic! It's an interesting idea I don't think you see very often. It shows promise and there's a lot of ways to flesh it out on either end of puzzle/platformer. Bonus points for a petting zoo and a couple hints. I think this one kind of slid under the radar?

Alien Alchemy by Giggs
Neatly packaged little Codebreaker-like. Nice job on the music and you get a lot of mileage out of the graphics (loved the stupid doodles). It was a bit straightforward and I think the drink serving controls could've snapped better but I'm glad it wasn't frustrating just for gimmick's sake. Also I love every jam that you really go for it in your post mortems!

Station Merda by A LOVELY LAD
I was definitely intrigued by this one but I ran into a lot of problems unfortunately. After awhile the lighting would turn off and I couldn't figure out how to turn it back on (once I think it went back on after I left it on the pause screen?). Also, not sure what disks did? The atmosphere was pretty creepy and I sucked two aliens out the airlock which was great so points for that!

Stationary by Team Lunch Break
Huh, a browser-based Roguelike using rot.js. Not a ton of strategy here (besides minimizing energy use) but I'm glad to see someone branching out into other genres for the jams. I like to click the user button and read how the development goes after I play a game but I also like to read more in depth post-mortems even for the games that life derails.

DDAFPST Ostriches by Beeconomic Advisors
At first I thought Unity broke but then I realized, "Ah, this truly is Something Awful." I could drone about how I felt about gameplay this or narrative that but at the end of the day I'm glad to be a teeny-tiny part of a jam that produces games like this.

Oh No! Volcano! by Flatbox Studios
Definitely a panicky weird little infinite runner apocalypse thingy. I thought it was pretty fun! Some runs ended due to camera issues and I just couldn't get the button thing down well enough (always instinctually used the right group which wouldn't move the camera) but I played it quite a few times despite it being fairly hitchy on my system. I think the grouping idea is still really interesting. Another good job!

Delenda Airlines by Team Dogpit
Strategy game where you have to keep airline passengers happy. I really liked the illustrative style of this one and a lot of the atmosphere hit well from the beginning (the art deco thing, the goofy airline speak, etc.). The game itself seemed really choppy to me and I'd often wait for something that should've clicked or got confused when something didn't seem to happen. I cheated and checked the posts and it looks like there was quite a bit of tinkering for it for the public build which is great. And besides not getting very far (end of third?) I definitely got the overall feeling of panic from it which is good!

Panicking Manneken: Pee Pee Panic by Team Afal
Ohhhh noooo! This isn't what we meant by "Needs more juice!" :gonk: I don't know if it was Lee The Chill Chinchilla quality, but what is? If it was up to me I'd rename the "Hottest Mess" prize as "Something Afal" not only in reference to Afal's dedication of.... craft every jam (for years now) but because Afal's bounties really help make the jam feel like Something Awful.

Life is Simply Unfair by Team Retro Leaf
Pretty straight-forward board game about managing stress. Needed a lot of balance, if I got an F- with 30% stress and a D with almost 100% that probably means something! I was pleasantly surprised there was a new little mechanic at the end. And I'm always glad when I see a game jam game that's an unusual genre.

Yo! Let's Up by CRIMEDOER
I'm not sure it's quite what I expected (more Jenga-y?), but there's no denying this one oozes charm. It really hits that mobile itch and I wouldn't be surprised if it catches on. Nice earworm, too! I think my high score is 31 where I just couldn't get over that wall without jumping before the block appeared and praying.

And here are a couple non-posters (I believe? I actually think that's not right but I just didn't see a submission post in the thread) that got in the top picks:

Fire in Building 13 by Three Brothers Studio
That's an interesting mechanic where the thing you need to battle is helpful against something worse. For very simple artwork the filters and music made the atmosphere work pretty well. I think this is another case where the parts that shined would have even more in the longer jam with more development. I guess that's the gamble of doing this shorter, less restrictive one!

An Escape The Room Game But Everything Is On Fire by Terrible Gramphics
The most narrative-heavy game! A bit too meme-centric but somehow I knew most of the references and laughed a ton. I didn't really have any trouble finding everything though a bit more UI response would've been nice (highlighting). Also as somebody that played the last two Terrible Gramphics games I'm glad I got to the real ending!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Thanks Doom Goon for the thoughtful words! I def wanna keep tweaking Delenda since it is so stylish. :sparkles:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Life is Simply Unfair: AfterJam Version

* The test is more fair.
* Cut character reaction sounds for test readded
* Fixed bug with Chance Time always giving D20
* Icon shows if you have a roll effect active
* Added reactions to end of test screen.
* Show how many correct on test screen
* Made ending with zero stress more worthwhile
* Made ending with less than 30 stress better.
* Grades less than "A" give answers to questions.
* New music by Willfor for game board

Download: Windows/Mac/Linux

Windows: Run LISU.exe
Mac/Linux Run LISU.love though https://love2d.org/ for your platform.

Screenshots:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Also I might have done some voice acting in this version

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
(sorry for bumping old thread but I thought it'd be interesting to have this noted here)

So I released the mobile version of my entry, Yo! Let's UP on the iOS App Store last Thursday. It's free and you can grab it right here! The Android version is currently being worked on and should be out soon as well.

Since YLU was made for this jam and straight up would not have existed without it, I want to be candid about how it's doing, because I think that's kinda cool and maybe it will inspire people or at least show jammers that cool poo poo can come from participating in jams like this!

(best icon ever)

So, the game was released last Thursday (which is kinda when you release iOS games in hopes of being included in the features for New Games We Love on the frontpage for the coming week- they get swapped out on Thursdays). I opted to make the game free and supported by ads, which can be removed for a one-time, $2,99 purchase. I also put in a button that allows people to watch a video advertisement to get some extra coins. I changed the game substantially from the jam version, adding new game modes (9 in total) and trying to fix as many flaws as possible. It still is a bit of a mess if I'm honest, creating a consistent, physics-based, rigid balancing act is a tricky beast! But it works, it's fun, it's cute as hell, and people seem to enjoy it. I've seen high scores of 150+ pop up which was absolutely impossible with the jam version.

On releasing the game I had no idea what was going to happen. Apple will not inform you of anything, so you don't know you managed to get a feature slot until it happens, and then you still have to look for it yourself. YLU ended up getting featured in most of Europe, which is nice but not amazing, and sadly was left out of the biggest market, the USA.

But then it also got featured in China.

(It's in the New Games We Love category as well as something called Perfect Balance, pictured above.)

Alright I realise none of this is terribly exciting so let's just get to the fun poo poo, here are the stats so far, from the past 4 days not including today:

Downloads: 250K
Revenue from interstitial ads: $6598
Revenue from video ads: $815
From in-app purchases: $527

Not bad!

By no means a monster hit, and after the game gets removed from the front pages come Thursday, revenue will plummet. But until then, I think it'll remain stable enough to end up doing a bit over $10K.

So yeah, that's p much it. It's been a really fun jam to participate in, and I guess this has been my post-mortem. Thanks for reading!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Got it just now! Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Another Something Awful success story!

• Locked thread