Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Little Awful Jam 2017
LOGO ART PACK

January 2nd - 16th

THEME: PANIC!!

The normal information post has been moved over to http://www.awfuljams.com

Our new annual two week game jam is back for a second year!

Follow us on twitter for updates as they come in.
JOIN SLACK!

Lowdown
Here's what you need to know.
  • Build a team of however many people you want.
  • Make a game in 2 weeks starting January 2nd
  • Submit your game to the Awful Jams Website BEFORE January 16th
  • Go hog wild
Rules
While the Big Awful Jam is pretty heavy with rules, the Little Awful Jam is a chaotic lawless frontier with only 2 rules:
  • Don’t be an rear end in a top hat.
  • 500mb game size limit.
That’s it. Do whatever you need to do, make whatever work of art your heart desires.

:siren: While it's certainly not required, we really do appreciate it when people put the Awful Jam logos (any of them really) in a splash screen or on the main menu. Whenever one of you handsome teams gets press those sites tend to purposefully avoid plugging the jam for whatever reason, lookin' at you Polygon.

And I'm sure you all agree we all could use a little fresh blood for the wall of shame.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
The Awful Jams Motto: "Make game, ya dingus."

reserved

Calipark fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 28, 2016

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
TEAM ADORABLE ANIMALS REPORTING FOR DUTY.

Makes of Chill Robot, Sneaking Mission, and The Rage of Painting. And Düm. I'm so sorry.

gently caress YES. I'm excited. I'm a programmer and am considering doing lovely-rear end terrible art this jam.

There's a chance Tann and I will work together, but if I end up doing mostly art, I'll have cycles to spare. If you'd rather do art, I can program like a motherfucker. Hit me up via PM, on IRC, or via jo.jcat at gmail.

That all said, JOIN US ON IRC, ASSHOLES. #sagamedev on synirc.net.!

Jo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 19, 2016

Willbutt
Mar 5, 2016
Team Out of Left Field / Further Afield reporting in.

I mean, let's face it, I'm probably going to do another solo project this time. But this time I might actually do something more than "get a reasonably working game with no real outstanding qualities". I mean, a boy can dream?

IS DREAMING TOO MUCH FOR 2017??!?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

oh man this is right in the middle of vacation i might not be able to participate this yYEAH RIGHT GUESS WHAT IT'S TEAM PUNCH FIGHT READY TO MAKE PUNCH FI6.5HT

My goal this year is to make 90% of the game in the first 2 days and spend the rest of the two weeks polishing and adding content. This will be a stark difference to my usual development schedule, where I make 90% of the content in the last 2 hours and spend the rest of the two weeks adding features that never get used.

JonTerp posted:

Rules
While the Big Awful Jam is pretty heavy with rules, the Little Awful Jam is a chaotic lawless frontier with only 2 rules:
  • Don’t be an rear end in a top hat.
  • 500mb game size limit.
That’s it. Do whatever you need to do, make whatever work of art your heart desires.

wait does this mean i'm automatically disqualified

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
last year i made a game based on this picture and everyone thought i was extremely serious

thats my gamejam story thanks for listening

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I might make something in Gamemaker this year, but I would be happy to team up with people. I do sound design and am one of the talented and beautiful voice acting goons if you want some talky stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Proudly servicng TEAM PUNCH FIGHT aurally.

Wait...

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Heck Yeah. Game jam time is one of my favorite times of year.

Unfortunately with my full-time work schedule as is it is right now, it will probably be tough for me to finish something unless I keep it really small. Here's hoping that I actually manage to do that.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

blastron posted:

wait does this mean i'm automatically disqualified

I expect at least 50% of the regulars to make this joke.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

It's time to make games!!!!!!!!!!! Yiewwww!!!!

I'm actually pretty excited for this one, especially given the theme hint

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I don't know what I'm going to make but Team And I'm Here Too will be entering with something badly drawn and difficult to learn!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Last year my game was awful, but I bounced back for the Big jam and I'm gonna KEEP ROLLIN INTO THIS ONE :hellyeah:

(:rip:games for grandma:rip:)

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

JonTerp posted:

Whenever one of you handsome teams gets press they tend to purposefully avoid plugging the jam for whatever reason, lookin' at you Polygon.

I know the "they" in this sentence refers to "the press" but it almost sounds as though you're blaming teams for not talking about awfuljams, and in defence of Team Punch The Moon and That Pokeyman Thing, Blade did mention Awfuljams when he got messaged by killscreen (which polygon then got the story off). I know it wasn't your intent to sound as though "anyone who doesn't mention awfuljams to games journalists are big meanie fat pants" but come on.

---

Anyway, as always, I'm going to throw down a few bounties. I'm going to try to go for only a few bounties because I always end up biting more than I can chew with these things.

• The One Bounty That's About Screenshake Or Whatever: So last time I did the screenshake bounty I realised that screenshake isn't everything. I mean it's important to use screenshake and you should probably use more screenshake in your games, but also there could be times where screenshake is unnecessary. Therefore, I'm going to be extending this bounty to all :siren: JUICY :siren: effects. Screenshake, particle effects, sounds, animations etc etc. This is going to be looking at all the :siren: JUICY :siren: elements that make a game feel good. :siren: JUICE :siren: that game up enough and you may be in for a chance to win *rummages through humble keys to find a vlambeer game* Nuclear Throne
  • Twitter Gifs Of poo poo Breaking: This was something I liked doing in the last jam but didn't get much entries, is the "gifs of poo poo going wrong in my game". For this you'll need to tweet some gifs (or vines or videos) of your game on twitter using the #AwfulJams hashtag, or using @AwfulJams (or whatever hashtag JonTerp wants to use for this jam). The three teams that have gifs/videos I like the most and has the most hilarious bugs showing up on screen will end up with a copy of the incredibly wholesome and extremely good video game Candice DeBébé's Incredibly Trick Lifestyle. If you don't know how to make a gif for your game there's a neat tool called GoonCam that can help you do that.

Good luck to all!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I'm excited to make a better game than I did for the last Little Awful Jam.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Been waiting for this, if anyone is interested in working together let me know. Previously made RX Mania, Chillax Inc, and Unarmed in the last couple jams.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
:pcgaming: :siren: INCOMING BOUNTIES :siren: :pcgaming:

Hey you? Never made a game before? Made a lot of games before and just want free stuff? Then good news, I have THREE fabulous prizes this jam to give away!

:siren: Humble GameMaker Bundle - My Favorite GameMaker Game - This one goes to my favorite game made using GameMaker Studio. The bundle includes:
  • GameMaker: Studio Professional
  • Android Export
  • iOS Export
  • UWP Export*
  • HTML5 Export
  • 10 Second Ninja
  • Angry Chicken:Egg Madness!
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious
  • Extreme Burger Defense
  • Freeway Mutant
  • Flopp Rocket
  • Galactic Missile Defense
  • Home
  • INK
  • Shep Hard
  • Solistice
  • Uncanny Valley
:siren: Humble ClickTeam Fusion Bundle - My Favorite ClickTeam Fusion 2.5 Game - This one goes to my favorite game made using ClickTeam Fusion 2.5. The bundle includes:
  • Clickteam Fusion 2.5 Standard Steam
  • Clickteam Fusion 2.5 Mac Editor
  • 50.00 Coupon for Dev on Steam
  • Install Creator Pro
  • Html5 Exporter
  • iOS Exporter
  • Universal Windows Platform Exporter
  • Rock Rock Rocket Source
  • Oniken
  • Plantera
  • Tick Tock Isle
  • Necromonads + Source
  • The Yawhg
  • Five Night's at Freddy's 3
  • Quadle (Steam & Android) + Source
  • Room 13 + Source
  • Concrete Jungle
  • Saucer Squad source
  • Fusion Shapes Source
  • Environmental Station Alpha
:siren: Humble Game Dev Bundle - My Choice - This one goes to the game of my choosing; I will decide based on many factors: how funny is your game, have you made a game before, is your game name difficult to pronounce, and what day of the week it is when I decide maybe. YOU CAN BUY THIS RIGHT NOW TOO IF YOU WANT, HOLY poo poo!!! The bundle includes:
  • Clickteam Fusion 2.5 Standard
  • Pyxel Edit (Beta)
  • Spriter Pro
  • Spriter Pro Game Effects Art Pack
  • HTML5 Exporter
  • Marmoset Hexels 2.5
  • Todoist Premium 1 year subscription
  • Spriter Pro Basic platformer, Adventure Platformer, and Run N' Gun Platformer Art Packs
  • PICO-8
  • SpriteIlluminator Lifetime License
  • Spriter Pro RPG Heroes and Radius Wing SHMUP Art packs
  • Voxatron
  • 1Password Families 1 year subscription

But Mo_Steel, I'm no fancy game developer guru how can I possibly win these prizes? :saddowns:
You don't have to be great to have a shot at these! Maybe I'll really love your quirky attempt at a platforming bullet-hell game that only uses one button! Maybe no one else will use GameMaker and you'll be the only entrant and win by default! Who knows!

Plus look at some of the buggy poo poo I've made during these jams:

You can definitely do at least as bad as I can, so go for it! :buddy:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh are we posting bad gifs?

You wont make a game this bad, you guys so don't worry :v:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm still also holding out hope for the lizard brain theme (not my video), but that doesn't seem to be the opposite of chill theme that they hinted at. One day...

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Seems like the PICO-8 jam was just yesterday! Can't wait to follow development and try to get to them all again. :getin:

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

JonTerp posted:

And I'm sure you all agree we all could use a little fresh blood for the wall of shame.

This, I can do.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I've been looking to get back on the short dev cycle wagon so I'm gonna sign up for the wall of shame as Team... I'll decide on a team name later. I have a little game I want to make so hopefully I'll be able to force the theme around it when it gets revealed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I hope there'll be some guillotine-themed games.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Hello! I want to join a team for this gamejam.
I've participated in a few SA jams and game projects before, this time though I would ideally like a team that will actually end up making a playable game, but no pressure!

I'm good at bleepy bloopy music, or doing gameplay stuff in UE4.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Sup gamepeeps! I've worked on 2 things for previous SA jams (Pachinko Man and That Pokeyman Thing Your Grandkids Are Into), and while I don't think I'll have time to make a whole game by myself this time I'd love to help out another team if possible!

If your team needs some help with writing/2D art/crummy chiptunes, feel free to shoot me a message.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Hey all, you might find this useful if you are looking for a team!

Orhpan Form
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfShETvAlOgECFqWm4BaAnS2Wqt4LqTW86GAjEdA33migDAgA/viewform

Orphans Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yDdKa_lYOcX-SGIsmt4TdEmS6FQ7AmTG2rL97ockLZU/edit#gid=1031490143

So, if you have skills feel free to fill out the form, if you need skills check out the spreadsheet to see answers.

Edit
Whoops had the spreadsheet set private, just fixed that.

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 31, 2016

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
So since the announcement video is very very short this year, I'm going to stream like 6 hours of Gong Shows past leading up to the theme announcement.

So join all 3 people who care and watch some cringy nerds talk over all your wonderful submissions from the past starting at 6pm CST at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev.

That'll run for 6 hours where we'll play the 30 second theme announcement video at Midnight CST to start the jam proper.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 1, 2017

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I don't expect to have much time for the jam this time either, but I mean... that has been true for quite a few jams now so I'll make something at least.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Old Gong Show Marathon is live now! https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice
I'm looking forward to all those spinning sprites y'all!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Your theme is...

PANIC!!

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/status/815802894637264897

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf11R6MvNiU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

"OH gently caress!" indeed. :supaburn: :derp:

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Has anyone seen entrancejew we need to start a gamejam and he seems to have gone missing, we're worried and calling the police soon.

Edit: also I can't wait for the 80 people to wait until the last second to make a game about waiting the last second to make a game for a gamejam

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Are we allowed/supposed to call dibs on our theme use or whatever?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Are we allowed/supposed to call dibs on our theme use or whatever?

Just make a video game, don't worry about the others.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Going the Smash TV/Binding of Isaac style route with rooms, rather than carving out random shapes from tiles. How the theme will fit in though :iiam:

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/815884921071751168

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 2, 2017

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I like this theme and I've got too many ideas already. I'm going to have to fight myself to the death to choose one.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Oh gently caress.

I guess maybe a game about being on fire is appropriate. Try not to catch anyone else on fire while you run to the fire extinguisher or something.

Or a game where you drop acid and get a text from your significant other saying he/she will be home early from vacation. As the acid/panic sets in you need to do all the chores you've been putting off for a month.

Jo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
a game whose amount of screen shake is inversely correlated to the rate of input

• Locked thread