Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

leper khan posted:

a game whose amount of screen shake is inversely correlated to the rate of input

Michael Bay: The Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willbutt
Mar 5, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AoNuG5cYOc

Um. gently caress, that's not quite right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZo9xPaQGA

I have compromised my vision, but w/e, it works :shrug:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

leper khan posted:

a game whose amount of screen shake is inversely correlated to the rate of input

Great Beer posted:

Michael Bay: The Game

Michael J. Fox: The Game. :(

Michael J. Fox: A Walk in the Parkinsons

Michael Bay Fox?

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Day 1 progress:
https://zippy.gfycat.com/GracefulShinyBetafish.webm

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
I can probably only find 10-15 hrs to work on this over the next 2 weeks but never-the-less Team Force Mass Motion is now cooking some awful jam.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Coming soon: a hectic holiday shopping simulation

(Click for big)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Takanago posted:

Coming soon: a hectic holiday shopping simulation

(Click for big)

This guy gets it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Free idea: wife reminds you it's her birthday tomorrow, and you have to scrounge for clues as to what she said she wants, and THEN you need to find the materials to make a reasonable facsimile.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Doing island concept attempts. Will likely look nothing like the actual game.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Day one.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Jesus Christ I just spent six goddamn hours writing a design document and then mashing it into Trello. In the interest of having a ridiculously open development process, here's the deetz on PUNCH FI6.5HT: MORTAL PANIC (working title)

Design Document
Trello

we're making a metroidvania

god save us

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

9 hours of screwing around in Unity and copious amounts of sushi led to this:

:siren:VOLCANOOOO!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dTEwQ3RII

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Atoramos posted:

9 hours of screwing around in Unity and copious amounts of sushi led to this:

:siren:VOLCANOOOO!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dTEwQ3RII

:stare:

Reigning champs flexing on day 1.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Look at me, Daddy, I can Blender too!

(since somebody already, independently posted that they're going with the same idea as us, i figure it doesn't matter but we're also doing the black friday thing)

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

http://imgur.com/5tB6pY2

First day and second morning progress.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Ok I started working on this dumb thing over the bank holiday. Lets see how far I get.

edit: Forgot to mention that while I use JS in my day job for simple frontend stuff, using it for gamedev is a whole magical world of pain. Shoulda gone with Unity but I wanted to try rot.js out.

LeFishy fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 3, 2017

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I have no idea what I'm making so I just built some menus and options all day yesterday. I also put in 3 layers of pausing and screen shaking and hit pause, but I still have no idea what I'm actually going to make! :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shoehead posted:

I have no idea what I'm making so I just built some menus and options all day yesterday. I also put in 3 layers of pausing and screen shaking and hit pause, but I still have no idea what I'm actually going to make! :v:

gently caress it! More screen shake! More juice! Just keep putting in juice until no one notices there's no game!

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
I'd like to start the new year by kicking out a game so heck, I'm in as CRIMEDOER. Shoutout to Krillin' / bonerman for doing a tweet about this jam so I saw it.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Let me, axe you a question.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Glagha posted:

gently caress it! More screen shake! More juice! Just keep putting in juice until no one notices there's no game!

Man, if this was juice jam I'd be jucin all over the place. The juice would be loose!

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Well, since no one seems to want me on their team, I'm making my own game!

Since there seems to be a lack of quality games in this category, I (team WiperGloveBoxNippon) will be making:
Fructidor, a guillotine-themed fruit slicing game, set in the French Revolution!

Pretty busy now, but Hopefully I can show a gameplay prototype at the start of next week, and then maybe get someone to help out with artwork and stuff.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Got me a skelleton and a UV map now. *Ostrich Noises*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk1-NSHr_Kw&feature=youtu.be

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
JUICE

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Only had about an hour today

https://fat.gfycat.com/PoliticalSpryFlickertailsquirrel.webm

Not sure where this is going. Probably not somewhere good.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Buffis posted:

Only had about an hour today

https://fat.gfycat.com/PoliticalSpryFlickertailsquirrel.webm

Not sure where this is going. Probably not somewhere good.

Somewhere amazing by the look of it. :allears:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Keket posted:

Let me, axe you a question.

I can only dream of being that good with Blender one day.

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
It's an Escape the Room Game But Everything Is On Fire

That's the title.

Hoping to put something together quick and easy this time around since I'm going to CodeMash next week, but we'll see!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Looking good everyone!
We got a lot done today but it was all code so there isn't much to show for it yet.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xXcgpA3Er0

Did some more work on the basic feel of the game, including trying to make the crowd act roughly how I want it to act and trying to figure out how you might interact with it. Also replaced the capsule people with some rough draft art.

Important questions for myself at this point:
-How many people will I need for my crowd to feel right? (Will it be too much to handle performance-wise?)
-How does level layout affect the feeling of crowdedness? (Tighter spaces are likely more hectic. How big should the store be? How many paths should there be?)
-Should/how often should the player push other shoppers out of their way? (All the time? Sometimes? Should they need to attack/dash to push or just do it automatically? Or maybe they shouldn't?)
-Should shoppers push other shoppers/the player around? (Will the shopping situation be chaotic enough without it?)
-How many more layers of gameplay should I try/will I have time to add on top of just running around?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I tweeted it earlier, but Day 2 has been interesting, if not particularly productive:

It's not a game, but I find it immensely entertaining, so that's something.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Every time I start a new game, I always think of a better way to do my default camera controls. This jam is no exception. The functionality never changes, mind, just the code. Works the same way in the end even though I keep re-writing it for every project. :v:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

This is technically from yesterday but whatever this is the results of me diving headfirst into my very first game jam with my very first video game.

It wasn't supposed to do that.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Glagha posted:

This is technically from yesterday but whatever this is the results of me diving headfirst into my very first game jam with my very first video game.

It wasn't supposed to do that.

I think you should probably put a bandaid on that, maybe even two.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
End of Day 3: I completely hosed my local Maven/Gradle repository so badly that I can't even get the project to build after reverting. :suicide:

I have hosed the project and will be restarting shortly.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

It's a contest where a bunch of goons make a game that adheres to a theme, but that's not important right now!

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Not a massive amount of visible progress overnight but I've completely rejigged the map system to use tile objects instead of just a keyed map. Makes things a lot easier to manage in the long run.

Meeting family on my lunch break today so I don't know how much Team Lunch Break will get done today. I want to add in the energy system and locked doors today but we'll see.

Or maybe I should work on the UI and camera system. That seems more fun to start with.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Here is the first dd draft.
I also have a working fruit slicing prototype that currently only slices Bananas, will post a video when I'm not on my phone.

-----------------------
Fructidor: Juicy Fruities

You play as Mr Guillotin, presenting your latest invention to Marie Antoinette.
"How splendid, a fruit slicer!!!"
You try explaining but she doesn't quite get it.

At that moment!!!!!
"My queen!! The people are at the gates, demanding bread. They have nothing to eat..."

"How silly!! If they don't have bread, let them eat cake!"

"Ummm... I don't think they have any cake either."

"Oh, then we'll have to take care of that. How fortunate that you are here Mr Guillotin! My last fruit slicer just quit, and we can't have cake without fruit can we?"

"Um, actually...."

"No time for talk, our people need us! To the kitchen!!!"

Characters:
Marie Antoinette, yells at you.
Bertrand, fruit thrower.
Jean-Marie, cake master.

Gameplay:

The Unwashed Masses are at the gates, demanding food! You must placate them by slicing fruit to put on the cakes made by Jean-marie.
Bertrand throws fruit down a chute, and you have to slice it with your guillotine so that it can be put on the cakes. The demands of the people and the cakes being made will change constantly. It is very important to only slice the right fruits for the recipe!!! Otherwise the cakes Will be less nourishing, and the mob will get angry!

The game accelerates as more and more people show up at the gates. This causes Marie Antoinette to frantically yell at you and the other kitchen staff to make stuff faster. If you can't keep up, the people will storm the gates and your invention might just be used for slicing something other than fruit!!!!!

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Giraffe can now eat. Also, camera zooms in for feeding frenzy tunnel vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Focusing on clean and minimalist for hopefully quick development. Not v exciting yet

high on life and meth fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 4, 2017

• Locked thread