Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Draw gold, power Noble manners, play swiftnesd and Rage Sideways influence 6 to hire utem swordsman

mana draw the other gold, Crystallize white

End turn, +1 fame, +1 rep

berenzen fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

silvergoose posted:

:munch: jfc horn of wrath :munch:

In a PVP game, where the two veterans are on the same half of the map. I'm hoping this will be fun.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

yes, I'll take the Horn of Wrath. I see you were trying to rig it for Gutter Owl but I kicked her out of the spot :)

Amusingly I was thinking how nice the staff might be to move around, as I'm likely to draw a white card that I don't need this turn, but Horn seems decent for knocking over individual dungeons & dragons.

Stelas posted:

In a PVP game, where the two veterans are on the same half of the map. I'm hoping this will be fun.

In a 4p game I'm not sure how much PvP you'll be seeing - getting a quick level early is a good use, after that the rewards get lower and trying to apply a ton of wounds is better in 1v1. Still, if opportunity knocks, you never know. (It can also be a good way to steal keeps but not in this scenario probably).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I still kind of wonder if it's a big target for an artifact to steal. It's less useful here than in a scenario involving cities, but still really handy.

Fixed up some typos earlier in the thread. I am in lazy roll-around mode at work.

Norowas does all that stuff above.

It is Arythea's turn!

By CO, Arythea uses the gold mana from the glade to power Tranquility, drawing 2 cards. Takes the white die from the source, powers Mana Pull, turning the blue and green to two blues. Powered Stamina + Swiftness to head back to the mage tower. Red crystal for powered Improvisation discarding Battle Versatility, plus Promise for 7 influence. Buys Snowstorm with the leftover blue mana.

It is Tovak's turn!

Tovak (rchandra) - 5 hand, 1 deck.
Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 0 hand, 0 deck.
Norowas (berenzen) - 4/5 hand, 0 deck, 1 keep.
Arythea (Mykkel) - 1 hand, 0 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame Tracker | Site Reference | Unit Reference

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

CO for next turn

If source does not have green, gold or blue: Prayer of Weather, March, Chivalry sideways, threaten sideways, and move to the dungeon. (3-2, 2-1, 4-2 for total of 4 required move). Don't enter, obviously.

If green or gold is in source: Same as above but in addition, Draw and rejuvenate for a green crystal

if blue is in source, but no green or gold: Power march instead and reveal the next tile

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 23, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Had to play just so inefficiently this round, between dungeon delay, monster draw, and similar cards bunching together. Guess that means I should have taken Planning or Rethink at the start.

Swiftness for Move 2, move to village.
Promise (white die), for Influence 4, hire Scouts
end turn

Tough choice on the recruit - looks like I need move more than combat, since I didn't take a move AA/skill. Foresters and Scouts are both very handy, oh for one more Fame!

Looks like we're working towards the 1 col/player for now.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tovak does that stuff.

Bravelar has no cards in hand or in deck, and must call End of Round. (This means that the round will end on Braevelar's next turn. You can do this whenever you have 0 cards left in your deck, though you give up your turn to do it, and must do it once you're at 0 hand + 0 deck.)

Norowas executes the following CO:

quote:

Prayer of Weather, Stamina, Chivalry sideways, threaten sideways, and move to the dungeon.
if blue is in source, but no green or gold: Power Stamina instead and reveal the next tile.

Norowas reveals a village, though there's only one place the dungeon can go!

It is Arythea's turn!... but she only has Snowstorm and I don't think she can do anything.

It is Tovak's turn again!

Tovak (rchandra) - 4 hand, 0 deck.
Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 0 hand, 0 deck, End of Round called!
Norowas (berenzen) - 1 hand, 0 deck, 1 keep, Prayer of Weather in effect!.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

silvergoose posted:

:munch: jfc horn of wrath :munch:

:munch:Meh. Used to be better.:munch:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Scouts for Move 2, explore.

Stelas: when there's a competitive skill in effect could you give a reminder of what it does please?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Will do. Update in a couple hours, I'm on the road at the moment.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tovak gets to place a dungeon.

Tovak (rchandra) - 4 hand, 0 deck.
Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 0 hand, 0 deck, End of Round called!
Norowas (berenzen) - 1 hand, 0 deck, 1 keep, Prayer of Weather in effect! (+1 move cost, to a max of 5.)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Dungeon NE in the forest.

Concentration, Rage, Mana Draw for Move 3, move to the village.
Horn of Wrath for Influence 1.
end turn/round

Heh, if Rage and instinct had swapped I could have tried the dungeon (putting it in plains).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 1 END

The sun sets on the first day. Four rounds remain. The Mage Knights still have more map to scour for Presents.

Arythea - 19 deck, 0 wounds.

Deed Cards: Crystal Mastery, Restoration, Snowstorm
Skills: Dark Fire Magic
Units: N/A

A good start. I might have gotten Snowstorm immediately and just rested away my wounds, but Restoration will ensure that Arythea has the option of diving into dungeons to get beat up without caring too much about the consequences. Snowstorm's a good chunk of ranged damage that will instakill a couple of dungeon enemies, and Ranged Damage in general is going to be particularly useful this scenario. Crystal Mastery's standard, but powerful - especially late game when you have a nice supply of crystals to make it pay for itself with the strong effect. Dark Fire Magic is an Arythea classic, and will dovetail nicely with Snowstorm in this coming round.

Norowas - 20 deck, 3 wounds.

Deed Cards: Chivalry
Skills: Prayer of Weather
Units: Utem Swordsmen

Very Norowas-like. Chivalry combines nicely with the rest of Norowas' gimmick, encouraging that reputation level higher and higher, and isn't a bad attack card at all in its own right. Prayer of Weather - like most of the competitive skills - is a very solid pick, being basically a free copy of some of the stronger Move cards around that also totally fucks with your opponents' ability to get around the map. The Swordsmen boast one of the biggest sets of numbers for an early game troop, with the only cost being that they get damaged if you choose to use it. Sucks a bit, but still a great emergency option, and Norowas has the ability to refresh them if he can heal them up.

Tovak - 19 deck, 1 wound.

Deed Cards: Blood Ritual, Horn of Wrath
Skills: I Feel No Pain
Units: Scouts

I used to be very down on Blood Ritual. Gaining wounds really sucks, after all! But having the ability to just grab three mana tokens of whichever colour you like is undeniably powerful, and turning them into crystals on top is the icing on the cake. It also helps that Tovak can immediately toss the wound away and draw another card - still, I can't help but get the nagging feeling that that's just putting the problem off. I've had games where Arythea and Tovak were cycling wounds out of their hands very quickly, the problem was that still meant a bunch of negative points at the end of the game. Anyway. The Horn of Wrath remains one of the strongest artifacts in the game. Less so in this scenario - there's not as much of a focus on Siege in a dungeon-heavy map with no cities - but still a very reliable free source of ranged. Scouts are kind of a consolation prize, though useful when you want to check what a given dungeon is about to throw at you.

Braevelar - 18 deck, 0 wounds.

Deed Cards: Intimidate, Burning Shield
Skills: Regenerate
Units: N/A

Intimidate's pretty great if you don't care about your reputation. Attack 7 or Influence 8 from a single card is seriously cool, even moreso if you can boost it from an artifact or Concentration. Burning Shield is one of only a handful of cards that can destroy an enemy outright - not nearly as powerful as Disease, perhaps, but still very useful in the right hands. Again, I suspect that its utility might be a little marred in a game that relies heavily on dungeons and tombs - lots of dragons are fond of fire resistance - but we'll see. Regenerate, meanwhile, stands as one of the best skills in the game. Healing a wound every single turn, without having to rest, all for the price of a mana token. It's really nuts!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 2 START

On the first night of Christmas,
my Atlantean Lords gave to me...

... a bunch of changed mechanics. Deserts and Forests swap movement costs, gold mana can't be used, black mana can. You now cannot see who's in a location without moving fully into it. The offer has been updated with new troops, and one advanced action and spell cycled out of the public offer.

Please pick tactics in reverse fame order: Norowas, Arythea, Tovak, Braevelar.

Hands have been drawn.

Norowas (berenzen) - 5 hand, 15 deck, 1 keep.
Arythea (Mykkel) - 5 hand, 14 deck.
Tovak (rchandra) - 5 hand, 14 deck.
Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 13 deck.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 24, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Preparation for concentration

berenzen fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 24, 2016

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Mana Search

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
(psst, you forgot the bonus dungeon in the forest next to Tovak)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Crack green crystal, Concentration (powered) for Druidic Paths (powered +2). Move 6, all movement costs reduced by 1 to minimum 2.

Explore east.

Soooo guess who just realized she kinda sorta accidentally cheated. :doh:

Turns out, Druidic Paths doesn't reduce all terrain. It reduces one type of terrain. I am incapable of reading, apparently.

I still could have made all of the moves I made that turn, without additional cards. I only moved through forests...but I had to make that choice before seeing the newly explored tile and all its forests. Whoops.

Should I take a wound for suffering rules damage?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

(psst, you forgot the bonus dungeon in the forest next to Tovak)

oops

Gutter Owl posted:

Soooo guess who just realized she kinda sorta accidentally cheated. :doh:

ugh that gutter owl always cheating in my games!!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Seriously speaking, I think it's fine? You'd already powered the Druidic Paths card and generated the 6 movement before you ever saw the new tile, so that at point you'd already committed to that amount of movement regardless of what you revealed.

e: Actually, the thrust of the problem isn't that you assaulted the mage tower, it's that you would have had the orc attack you for doing so. On the other hand, you killed that orc the following turn, so... ehhh. I doubt that Tovak would have followed you to try to chase down that mage tower so I think on balance let's just play on.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 24, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Long Night

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Sparing Power

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If anyone feels burningly differently about that call please chip in otherwise off we go!

It is Tovak's turn!

By CO, Tovak pillages the village before his turn. This is legal! I looked it up and everything. He also I Feel No Pain's a wound away.

Tovak (rchandra) - 7 hand, 11 deck.
Norowas (berenzen) - 6 hand, 14 deck, 1 keep.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Scout the Dungeon enemy (is the token predrawn next to me, or is it the one on the pile and could theoretically go to somebody else?)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sorry for the delay here, but I need to sleep. Hopefully can get to it before heading out in the morning, tomorrow is snowclearing + Christmas potluck.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

rchandra posted:

Scout the Dungeon enemy (is the token predrawn next to me, or is it the one on the pile and could theoretically go to somebody else?)

At the moment it's 'predrawn', but only because that makes it easier to see where the dungeon is on the map. Theoretically, it could go to someone else.

... actually you know what I'm gonna replace them with graveyards just to make everything line up correctly, then I'll shuffle the dungeon enemy pile and you'll get a Scout to PM.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

rchandra posted:

Sorry for the delay here, but I need to sleep. Hopefully can get to it before heading out in the morning, tomorrow is snowclearing + Christmas potluck.

My fault, I was eating an enormous barbecue.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Map will be updated next post, rchandra has a PM with the results of his scout.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

e: Actually, the thrust of the problem isn't that you assaulted the mage tower, it's that you would have had the orc attack you for doing so. On the other hand, you killed that orc the following turn, so... ehhh. I doubt that Tovak would have followed you to try to chase down that mage tower so I think on balance let's just play on.

Not sure how the orc would have attacked me? There's a wall in the way.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Not sure how the orc would have attacked me? There's a wall in the way.

Oh, fair point. Yeah, then I really don't care, as outlined above. Carry on!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Blood Ritual for a red token + crystal[/b]
March (green die), Promise for Move 5, move to Dungeon and enter, fighting Crypt Worm.
Mana Draw for a second die
Cold Toughness (blue die) for Ice Block 6
Rage (token), Swiftness (white crystal) for Attack 7, kill it (bonus fame for Scouting)

end turn, level up

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tovak kills the Worm for 5+1 Fame and levels, gaining a command token.

Tovak's dungeon roll is a green - artifact.

Tovak's artifact draw:
Soul Harvester: Attack 3. For one enemy killed by this attack gain a Crystal to your inventory.
Amulet of Darkness: Gain a mana token of any colour. If played during the day, treat deserts as 3 Move and you may use black mana.

It is Arythea's turn! Don't forget the Mana Search, I regularly do.

Tovak (rchandra) - 1/5 hand, 11 deck, artifact choice.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I might be crazy but Soul Harvester could be OK here? The fact that it's so often just white is a bit annoying. Amulet of Darkness is certainly always solid, if not spectacular until I get good spells.

I'll take Soul Harvester, why not. CO: unless I draw Tranquillity, Feel No Pain the wound.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

bb] Mana search [/b] 2 blue dice.

Green man power Concentration Play Stamina get six move. NW, NW, NE

Enter Dungeon

What am I fighting?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It is another Crypt Worm (6 Attack, 6 Armor, Fortified, 5 Fame).

Tovak (rchandra) - 5 hand, 8 deck.
Arythea (Mykkel) - 3 hand, 14 deck.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Well that sucks.
lets see.
Red Crystal to power Battle Versatility , Swiftness and Threaten both sideways for 6 attack.

3 wounds for me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea knocks over a dungeon and levels, getting a command token.

Arythea's dungeon roll is red - artifact.

Arythea's artifact draw:
Bow of Starsdawn: When you play this, discard any number of (non-wound) cards from your hand. Gain Ranged Attack 2 for each. Fame +1 for each enemy you defeat this combat.
Emerald Ring: Gain a green mana token and a green crystal. Fame +1.

It is Norowas' turn!

Tovak (rchandra) - 5 hand, 8 deck.
Arythea (Mykkel) - 3 hand, 14 deck, artifact choice.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Enter the dungeon

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Emerald Ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Norowas' dungeon enemy is a Minotaur (5 Attack + Brutal, 5 Armor, 4 Fame).

• Locked thread